hlp: 5.5 to 2003 multiple sites

Hello.  My company is fairly large, with our site hosting about 5000 and 
having site links to other company divisions.  I'm pretty new and I've mostly 
used Exchange 2000/2003 but never in an environment this large.  The plan is 
to break the external site connectors, put ADC on, populate external email 
corp contacts from those sites by corp pushing them as mail contacts into our 
AD , deploy a 2003 box and start moving people/servers to 2003.  The concern 
is that users have made contacts from the GAL corporation wide, which are 
tied back to other site 5.5 entries.  And the assumption here is that those 
contacts will break and have to be remade using the newly created mail 
contacts from AD.  I don't entirely understand why you can't just remove the 
X.400/500 stuff from the mix after Exchange 2003 is in place, and then 
wouldn't 2003 ignore the old X. site info in the contacts and route mail 
using only SMTP?  But the thinking here is that with those contacts having 
bad site info in them, they will fail.  Any suggestisons?
0
3/9/2006 2:58:30 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
325 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 20

Hire a consultant.
-- 
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange
"Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"

"GrimGrningGhost" <GrimGrningGhost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
message news:74CB94F3-6B37-4E8E-B3D1-F194FA89DFE9@microsoft.com...
> Hello.  My company is fairly large, with our site hosting about 5000 and
> having site links to other company divisions.  I'm pretty new and I've 
> mostly
> used Exchange 2000/2003 but never in an environment this large.  The plan 
> is
> to break the external site connectors, put ADC on, populate external email
> corp contacts from those sites by corp pushing them as mail contacts into 
> our
> AD , deploy a 2003 box and start moving people/servers to 2003.  The 
> concern
> is that users have made contacts from the GAL corporation wide, which are
> tied back to other site 5.5 entries.  And the assumption here is that 
> those
> contacts will break and have to be remade using the newly created mail
> contacts from AD.  I don't entirely understand why you can't just remove 
> the
> X.400/500 stuff from the mix after Exchange 2003 is in place, and then
> wouldn't 2003 ignore the old X. site info in the contacts and route mail
> using only SMTP?  But the thinking here is that with those contacts having
> bad site info in them, they will fail.  Any suggestisons? 


0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/9/2006 5:19:25 PM
If you can't understand the question, don't answer.  I'm not the exchange 
lead of our group, like I said I'm the new guy.  I just want to make sure the 
lead exchange guys aren't missing an option, if someone has already solved 
this problem.  But thanks for posting a non-answer.


"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Hire a consultant.
> -- 
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> 
> "GrimGrningGhost" <GrimGrningGhost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
> message news:74CB94F3-6B37-4E8E-B3D1-F194FA89DFE9@microsoft.com...
> > Hello.  My company is fairly large, with our site hosting about 5000 and
> > having site links to other company divisions.  I'm pretty new and I've 
> > mostly
> > used Exchange 2000/2003 but never in an environment this large.  The plan 
> > is
> > to break the external site connectors, put ADC on, populate external email
> > corp contacts from those sites by corp pushing them as mail contacts into 
> > our
> > AD , deploy a 2003 box and start moving people/servers to 2003.  The 
> > concern
> > is that users have made contacts from the GAL corporation wide, which are
> > tied back to other site 5.5 entries.  And the assumption here is that 
> > those
> > contacts will break and have to be remade using the newly created mail
> > contacts from AD.  I don't entirely understand why you can't just remove 
> > the
> > X.400/500 stuff from the mix after Exchange 2003 is in place, and then
> > wouldn't 2003 ignore the old X. site info in the contacts and route mail
> > using only SMTP?  But the thinking here is that with those contacts having
> > bad site info in them, they will fail.  Any suggestisons? 
> 
> 
> 
0
3/9/2006 5:52:30 PM
You have asked a "consulting engagement" question, a question far too 
complex and requiring too much analysis for you to be able to expect an 
answer from a forum like this.  I thought it would be better to tell you 
this than for you to wait for a while, never getting a useful answer.  I'm 
sorry if you don't like that, but it's the way it is.
-- 
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange
"Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"

"GrimGrningGhost" <GrimGrningGhost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
message news:BA05DFFD-F887-45F3-8134-8EAA6D92F734@microsoft.com...
> If you can't understand the question, don't answer.  I'm not the exchange
> lead of our group, like I said I'm the new guy.  I just want to make sure 
> the
> lead exchange guys aren't missing an option, if someone has already solved
> this problem.  But thanks for posting a non-answer.
>
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hire a consultant.
>> -- 
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
>>
>> "GrimGrningGhost" <GrimGrningGhost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:74CB94F3-6B37-4E8E-B3D1-F194FA89DFE9@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello.  My company is fairly large, with our site hosting about 5000 
>> > and
>> > having site links to other company divisions.  I'm pretty new and I've
>> > mostly
>> > used Exchange 2000/2003 but never in an environment this large.  The 
>> > plan
>> > is
>> > to break the external site connectors, put ADC on, populate external 
>> > email
>> > corp contacts from those sites by corp pushing them as mail contacts 
>> > into
>> > our
>> > AD , deploy a 2003 box and start moving people/servers to 2003.  The
>> > concern
>> > is that users have made contacts from the GAL corporation wide, which 
>> > are
>> > tied back to other site 5.5 entries.  And the assumption here is that
>> > those
>> > contacts will break and have to be remade using the newly created mail
>> > contacts from AD.  I don't entirely understand why you can't just 
>> > remove
>> > the
>> > X.400/500 stuff from the mix after Exchange 2003 is in place, and then
>> > wouldn't 2003 ignore the old X. site info in the contacts and route 
>> > mail
>> > using only SMTP?  But the thinking here is that with those contacts 
>> > having
>> > bad site info in them, they will fail.  Any suggestisons?
>>
>>
>> 


0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/9/2006 10:40:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

exch 5.5 to exch 2003
I have an Exch 5.5 server on an NT4 domain. I also have an AD domain, no current exchange servers, with a trust relationship with the NT domain. I have now purchased new server hardware and Exchange Server 2003. My question is, is there a way to set up the exch 2003 server as a new installation, no co-existance with 5.5, and then migrate the 5.5 mailboxes over to it? Or do I have to do the coexistance thing? Thank you. Hi, It is possible to extract the user mailboxes with exmerge and then import these to a new system. Leif "John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote i...

Multiple Classes
I have a table that contains all the classes for 3800 students. Each student times 7 gets you around 23000 classes, each record contains: SSN, LocalID, Name, Subject (ELA, Sci, SS, Math are the only ones I care about), Class Level (1,2,3,4), Teacher Name, Period, and Course Name. The problem is, some students will have 2 ELA or Sci classes due to failures, illness, skipping etc. I need to know which is the higher course. No problem, I made a select query, put in SSN, Subject (=ELA), Level (set to Max), Teacher Name, and Period. Nope, didn't work. I still had duplicates because ...

Duplicate entries in Outlook 2003
For some reason all my calendar entries in Outlook seem to either duplicated or are showing twice. Is there an easy way I can run a clean-up? Thanks. "Trent SC" <invalid@bogoff.invalid> wrote in message news:ORPCULy3HHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > For some reason all my calendar entries in Outlook seem to either > duplicated or are showing twice. Is there an easy way I can run a > clean-up? If a set of duplicates was created by a single action (like, for instance, syncing with a PDA) then the LastModificationTime values for the duplicates should all b...

moving 5.5 with settings and mail to a new computer?
I've got 5.5 running on an NT4 box. Very stable, hard to find fault. I'd like to install NT4 and Exchange 5.5 (used as POP3 and SMTP) on a new box (outside my domain), and move everything in Exchange from the old box over to the new box with the least amount of downtime. What is the best way to do this - without buying some 3rd party tool? -- Thanks in advance, Les Caudle Please have a look at the following case and let me know if this helps http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q155216 ============================================================================...

Visio 2003 Org Chart Wizard Macro
Hi, If someone could do me a favour it would be much appreciated. In Visio 2003 i believe you can record macro actions, using the record, stop method in Visio itself. Please could someone record the process of going through the org chart wizard, linking through to an Access database, and then either post the code here or send to me. Many thanks, Scott ...

Migration from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 or 2003 ?
I am currently running Exchange 5.5 with 300 mailboxes. The size of the priv.edb is 25gb and pub.edb is 5gb. I am currently running a mixed mode environment (NT 4.0 and 2000). The remaining 4.0 servers consist of the the following servers e-mail, fax server, file server, blacberry server, ftp server. I have heard the migration to Exchange 2003 is easier than Exchange 2000. My only concern is how AD on Windows 2003 interacts with 2000 AD because our customer facing servers are running Windows 2000 mostly running IIS and applications. Thank-you Kevin Emore ...

Transpose multiplication
When I multiply two vector arrays, one in a column and another in a row, I do it with the TRANSPOSE() function. Long time ago someone told me that the same thing could be done using simbols in a special way (brackets, may be). I used the method and it worked, but now I can not remember it. It had advantages over the TRASPOSE() function, so if anyone remember how this is done, I'll preciate letting me know. Thanks, Cap Kirk Cap Kirk wrote: > When I multiply two vector arrays, one in a column and another in a row, I > do it with the TRANSPOSE() function. Long time ago someone told...

Outlook 2003 Add-In buttons stop working after remote desktop connection
All current XP and Office patches installed (not XP SP2 yet). I'm not certain of exactly how to reproduce this because it is kind of random. I have a custom addin and after accessing outlook through a remote desktop connection the addin button stops working sometimes (keeps working at other times). At first I was thinking it was something with my addin, but I noticed that the same thing happens with Import New Assignments from the Project addin for outlook. When you click on the addin button on the toolbar nothing happens - it doesn't cause an error or anything, it's just like ...

FastStone Caputure 5.3 & Windows Live Mail Desktop problem
I use both the FastStone Capture 5.3 screen capture program and Windows Live Mail Desktop. When I take a screen shot to the clipboard and try to paste it to a new Windows Live Mail Desktop email, the pasted screen shot is empty. The boundaries of the captured image show on the email, but there is nothing inside the boundaries. If I paste the same captured image to a Word document, the full image displays. Does anybody know why this happens and whether or not there is a workaround to solve it? Many thanks. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart...

Post 5.5 to 03 Migration Displays wrong Administrative Group in AD
Hello I have a unique problem. We migrated 1 Exchange 5.5 server (Exchange site 5.5 1)to Exchange 2000SP3 and 2 Servers running 5.5 (Exchange Sites 2 & 3) to Exchange 2003 Our WIndows server topology is this One root domain, two child domains 1 Exchange 2000 server in 1 Child domain 2 Exchange 2003 Servers in the second Child domai The Exchange migration track we followed was this The First Child Domain performed an in place upgrade from 5.5 to 0 The Second Child domain (2 Exchange 5.5 Servers 2 Sites) performed an upgrade method in which we installed an Exchange 03 Server into Each 5....

Sending Emails Multiple Times Before Its Delivered
Yesterday at different times during the day, I forwarded numerous emails (approx. 7) to one address, using MSN and Gmail in Live Mail 14.0.8089.0726. All the emails were a page, or less, in length and some had attachments no larger than .99 mb. Although all the addresses were the same, inserted from my contact list, some of the emails were delivered and some were returned with the following: "This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed." Some of these emails were finally delivered after emailing them ...

How do I change a symbol to a numeric value ie: N to 5
I'm trying to change symbols to numberic values & not finding any answers. Tools>Autocorrect for an unwieldy method. VLOOKUP table method. VBA event code method. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:57:01 -0700, 7vYkCtVN <7vYkCtVN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying to change symbols to numberic values & not finding any answers. ...

Outlook 2003 #146
I have outlook 2003 connecting to an exchange 2003 server. My users connect via terminal services (windows 2000) I've just migrated from exchange 5.5 and outlook 2000. I want my users to work in cached mode so they can use the junk email filters build into outlook, but the option to select cached mode is greyed out. Any ideas why this would be, and how to fix it? Thanks On 13 Apr 2004 15:38, "James" <Homer@jamco> wrote: >I have outlook 2003 connecting to an exchange 2003 server. >My users connect via terminal services (windows 2000) I've just >migrated ...

Can I transfer files back & forth from excel 2000 to excel 2003?
yes "pheller" <pheller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C05007A-2A83-4902-8F15-EACC02435DEC@microsoft.com... > ...

Mail Delivery Error #5
I have just changed ISPs. Though email works through the ISPs webmail site, I am unable to send messages with Outlook though I can receive. I get error message 0x800ccc7f. Help please. Len Change your SMTP (outgoing) mail server to the one your new ISP specified - including authenticating to it if need be. Check with their support. Len wrote: > I have just changed ISPs. Though email works through the > ISPs webmail site, I am unable to send messages with > Outlook though I can receive. I get error message > 0x800ccc7f. Help please. > > Len ...

Cannot login into OWA 2003 Sp2. After 3 time login I get access denied. Insufficient permissions.
I installed at several customers of mine a SBS 2003 server with exchange for OWA solutions and several common Exchangeservers 2003 (SP2) at other customers. I also installed at my home address a Exchange Server (2003 SP2) on a Win2K3 Machine. When I try to access from my home address (Default ADSL) to one of my customers, I get no errors. When I try to access from one of my bigger customers (with ISA server), I can get OWA from my home address, but not from my other customers. The same error comes up insufficient permissions. Have to logon 3 times and cannot connect. The left window pane with...

Protecting sheet disables import of extetrnal data in Excel 2003
I need to protect the sheet and not disable ability to import of external data in excel 2003? Even when I open a sheet that worked while being protected in previous Excel versions, once I protect it in Excel 2003 the auto update feature for returning external data is disabled. ...

outlook 2003 #226
For some reason when I send an email it seems to sit in my outbox and wont send until i either click on the outbox,inbox, calendar, in fact doesn't seem to do anything until I select something else. Anyone help ...

IE Bombs when accessing sites as standard (non-admin) user on Win2
I have a situation where IE is quitting instantly when a user that isn't in Domain Admins tries accessing any website (internal or external). Server is 2003 Terminal Services with SP2 Client doesn't appear to matter Symptoms: Normal user double-clicks IE which opens, then immediately closes. This is occurring on 5 out of 8 servers in a TS farm! I've found that if I set the default home page to "about:blank" IE opens fine, but as soon as I try to access *any* page at all, it closes instantly. o No errors that I can see in any of the Event Logs. o I...

Delay sending function OL 2003/Ex 2003
I am trying to track down exactly what the process is when a sender sets a 'do not deliver before' time when sending a message using outlook 2003 in an exchange 2003 environment. Obviously when the 'Send' button is initially pressed, the e-mail goes into the senders outbox and is eventually sent when the specified time is reached and the intended recipient inthe same organisation then receives the message. Is there any way of checking the received message or the original sent message to see if a 'do not deliver before' was set in exchange ? I have this query because ...

Hyperlink errors Outlook 2003
"This operation has been canceled due to restrictions on this computer. Contact system admin." I am now getting this pop-up error whenever I click on a link in an email. Seems this happened once to me years ago but, I forget what the solution is. Appreciate any help. On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:23:11 -1000, Vector Newman <realmenuselinuxlikeme.org> wrote: > "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions on this computer. > Contact system admin." > > I am now getting this pop-up error whenever I click on a link in an > email. > Seems th...

Word 2003-2007 conversion / viewer
Trying to open a Word 2007 doc in Word 2003. Where's the conversion file? Download the free "Compatibility Pack" from the Microsoft website. On Feb 10, 3:23=A0pm, Barry <Ba...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Trying to open a Word 2007 doc in Word 2003. =A0Where's the conversion fi= le? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en "Barry" <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B67D08B-FDA5-4FB1-8604-AC0F68BCB8E9@microsoft.com... > Trying to op...

Multiple Reports dictionary
Hello, Is there a method by which we can access two distinct Reports dictionaries using multiple shortcuts? If so, how can we achieve this? Thank you so much The only way I was able to accomplish this by using Citrix client pointing to two different application servers. "VP" wrote: > Hello, > Is there a method by which we can access two distinct Reports dictionaries > using multiple shortcuts? > If so, how can we achieve this? > Thank you so much 1. Create two versions of dynamics.set, one to point ot the first reports.dic and another to point to the second rep...

Exchange/SBS 2003
When I setup a new user in SBS 2003, no email account info is created, (SMTP, X400, etc), what am I doing wrong. jacques wrote: > When I setup a new user in SBS 2003, no email account info is created, > (SMTP, X400, etc), what am I doing wrong. How are you setting up the new user? Is your recipient policy set up properly, and is this mailbox set to automatically get settings from the recipient policies? How long are you waiting before determining that the mailbox isn't set up right? Have you installed SP1 for Exchange 2003? Do you see a lot of MSExchangeAL errors in your app log? ...

Upgrade from 97 to 2003
I need help with the code below. This worked in 97 but I'm now getting an error on the line "X = Sheet_qty_Cnfg(Print_Qty, .[Sheet Qty])" without the quotes in 2003. It is the .[Sheet Qty] in particular. Thanks for your help!!! Function Print_PS_Files(strTable As String, PARENT As String, DirName As String, DirName2 As String, Print_Qty As Long, Printer As String) As Boolean Dim PauseTime, Start, finish, TotalTime Dim dbsTmp As Database, rstTmp As Recordset Dim StrSearch, PS_File, PrintTray As String Dim X As Long, Y As Variant On Error GoTo PROC_ERR Set dbsTmp = C...