hiding contacts in exchange 2003 from directory search

Hello,

Can somebody point me to the right directions.  I want to hide the
contacts from certain people in the domain.  When users search
directory servcice, they can still see the contacts.

I have put all the contacts onto one single OU.  Do I filter the GAL?

Thanks,
Tnt

0
tractng (7)

On 23 Aug 2006 11:21:17 -0700, tractng@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Can somebody point me to the right directions.  I want to hide the
>contacts from certain people in the domain.  When users search
>directory servcice, they can still see the contacts.
>
>I have put all the contacts onto one single OU.  Do I filter the GAL?
>

>Thanks,
>Tnt
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Shared_Hosting_Exchange_2003_Part1.html
will let you set up another GAL. It's overkill for what you want to do
but pick the bones out of it and just do the Address List part you
need.

I would urge caution though. You're going to implement a technological
solution that anyone can oversome inside 5 minutes flat by entering an
email address in manually instead of selecting from the contacts. Is
there anything more you can provide on this as you're just going to
make work for yourself for no benefit.
0
mark7219 (5666)

Outlook 2003 Offline Address Book not updating
I now have 5 computers among 100+ that simply stopped updating the offline address book. They give no error message. nothing is recorded in the event logs. success is recorded in the sync log. it says it does it, but it doesn't. The most recent user reported that he couldn't see a person in his address book that had been hired 4 weeks ago. It is the same with all machines. 1. if I tell it to manually download the address book, it says it does and nothing changes. 2. if I create a new Outlook profile, it downloads a new address book at that time, but not after 3. If I create a ne...

Access 2003 Developer Extensions 06-04-07
It doesn't seem to be available anymore. I can read about VSTO 2005, but get an error if I try to buy it. Is it possible to get this still? I know Access 2007 Developer Extensions are supposed to be free, but they don't seem to have been released yet. Will I be able to package and distribute an application built in Access 2003 with the 2007 Developer Extensions? Jennifer "Toxalot" <toxalot@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1180969603.769483.240500@q19g2000prn.googlegroups.com... > It doesn't seem to be available anymore. I can read about VSTO 2005, > but g...

Exchange 5.5/RPC
Has anybody else noticed RPC failures on their 5.5 servers since the last months' RPC Rollup patch? We've had several of our 5.5 servers fail with Outlook client's but continue to work with OWA mailboxes. No error logs, takes a reboot to fix. ? K ...

_AfxBindStatusCallback::OnStopBinding broken in VS 2003
Hi all! I am having trouble with _AfxBindStatusCallback::OnStopBinding and OnProgress (oleasmon.cpp). Error checking seems bad. The offending code (not present in VC6 MFC sources): LPCTSTR szError2 = OLE2CT_EX(szError, _ATL_SAFE_ALLOCA_DEF_THRESHOLD); if (NULL == szError2) { return E_OUTOFMEMORY; } This fails if szError is NULL, and it shouldn't (I think). Refcounting gets broken and hell breaks loose. It was OK in VC6, dammit! Anybody has seen this? Thanks! <rant> P.S. I see this may be because of the changes to use this new "safe" ANSI/Unicode conversion (avoiding ...

Publisher 2003 will not open Publisher 97 files
I have a system running XP Pro with Office 2003 (including Publisher 2003) installed and just discovered Publisher 2003 will not open any if the publisher 97 files from my old system. I checked MS support and the only reference I found to this problem was that Norton security can interfere with the conversion process.... NO HELP as my current system does not nad has never had Norton installed on the system Does anyone have a solution for this problem? DTC wrote: > I have a system running XP Pro with Office 2003 (including Publisher 2003) > installed and just discovered Publisher ...

SBS 2003 And Outlook Web mail
Hi I have a SBS 2003 server that is being very flaky with the outlook 2003 web mail. At first I thought that there might be a licence issue, but there are 40 CALs and only 24 users right now. There seems to be no reasoning why some users can and others can't access as everyone is configured the same way. I can access the webmail page without a problem internally and externally. Some users work all the time others only some others not at all. I am getting no Event errors in the Event Logs. There is a large part of the staff that travel and use this so a solution is needed...

Exchange 5.5 reply SMTP address
Hi, Recently I experienced strange problems with my Exchange 5.5 SMTP addresses. Every time I try to set/change Reply Address for any recipient, it is SELF changing to address like 'alias@...' in several minutes. Unfortunately my boss has his mailbox alias different than our company standard :-) Could anyone help me? Regards, Adam Krajewski On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 21:08:39 +0100, "Adam Krajewski" <akrajewski@astercity.com.pl> wrote: >Hi, >Recently I experienced strange problems with my Exchange 5.5 SMTP addresses. >Every time I try to set/change Reply Address f...

Shared contact list in Outlook XP
I would like to have two separate Outlook profiles each with access to the same contact list (which is being used for an email address book also). The PC is installed standalone and is accessing email servers through the local cable operator. Can/how this be done? You can easily connect to the pst-file of the other profile by File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... In addition to that you could create a separate file which just holds a contacts folder. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 ...

Emails not coming in to my Exchange sever 2003
I have an exchange 2003 server .Since this morning all emails sent to me from the outside are not comeing in .I am able to get internal email's.Any Help will be helpfull. can you telnet to your server on port 25 from the outside? check the incoming queue. Guy wrote: > I have an exchange 2003 server .Since this morning all emails sent to me > from the outside are not comeing in .I am able to get internal email's.Any > Help will be helpfull. What you want to do is verify all the services on Exchange are working correctly and nothing outragous on the eventvwr. If you ch...

Server Side Autoreply Exchange 2003
Hi, In our company we move our email addresses from "@company.com" to "@newcompany.com" Management wants that if somebody sents an email to the old address, that he / she gets informed that this email is no longer valid and where they should send their emails to. (we switch also the mail system so forwarding or anything else is not an option) I checked the possibity of rules and created a server side rule which answers to every email send to this address. This works well, but i want to prevent creating mail loops e.g. if somebody sents an email and has his out of office ...

want to uncheck "Hide spellling errors in ths document"
I've received a Word doc from someone that does not show the spelling errors. When I go to Tools/Options/Spelling & Grammar, I see that "Hide spelling errors in this document" is checked, but the check and the words are grayed out and I cannot uncheck it -- what gives? I want to uncheck that. I'm using Word 97. Jack ...

Video message program in Outlook 2003
Worked for a few days now will not start. Have installed the latest version, etc. Will not start. When I click on the icon hard drive runs for a bit then nothing. Harvey hknauss@houston.rr.com ...

A built in method to search all mailboxes in an organization?
I've spent hours and hours looking at finding a way to do the following: Be able to search *all* mailboxes in an organization for a search term in the body or subject, and get a list of those emails (readable) so that they can be collated and burnt to media for things like Freedom of Information Act requests and the like. I cannot for the life of me find something that does it in Exchange. The message tracking center can find subjects and tell me the order of events the mail took as its traversed the system, but nothing more. Is there some sort of extended functionality that can be...

InputBox: how do I hide user input
I am trying to write a script that gets a password from the user then logs into a remote computer. The InputBox function doesn't seem to have an option that masks the user input with other characters (eg. "*"). How can I do this? For ease of distribution I'd like to be able to do this in a single script - rather than using a separate library or other file. TIA. On Feb 16, 11:21=A0pm, Robert S <robert.spam.me.sensel...@gmail.com> wrote: > I am trying to write a script that gets a password from the user then > logs into a remote computer. =A0The...

Moving Exchange Database to a Remote location...
Hi I was on the forum a while ago asking if it was possible to run a Primary Exchange Server with 40 Users at our main site and a Backup Exchange Server at our remote site (disaster recovery site)... and keep the Backup server up to date or in sync with the primary... I know that there are various pieces of software that can do this job and they are expensive... Would it be possible to do this with EXCHANGE 2003 (and no 3rd party software)...? Does it have the ability to sync a remote site...? Many Thanks Colin "Colin A" <colin.albright@XXXvaluelink.co.uk> wrote: &g...

Re Business Contact Manager
I have Office 2003 Professional edition, but cant seem to find the Business Contact Manager software, does anyone no where it is located on the disk? it's on a separate disk. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Tombs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5c8701c40073$e15f6160$a101280a@phx.gbl... >I have Office 2003 Professiona...

Outlook 2003 & Outlook Express #2
I have been using Outlook Express without any problems. Because some of software will only work with Outlook I setup Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manger. I have found the program (Outlook) crashes for no apparent reason. I have both Outlook and Express running together. Is that the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:55:49 -0700, "Marc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have been using Outlook Express without any problems. >Because some of software will only work with Outlook I >setup Outlook 200...

Upgrading to Outlook 2003 #2
We are about to upgrade to Outlook 2003. I'm curious if anyone has experienced problems upgrading their Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003. Also, if you have Office 2002 installed and only upgrade Outlook, if you have had problems. Thanks. 1) the biggest problems we;re seeing involve using the old profile. For best results, do a clean install - and since that's impossible for many people, at least make a new profile. You can use the old pst in the new profile. 2) if you only upgrade outlook you loose the ability to use 'office envelope' features - notably word as your ema...

problem Adding new user on server 2003
I can't not add any user the program is giving me a masege: Windows unable to update the password. The Value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirement of domain. please help.. I can not add any users becouse of this message. You have complex passwords enabled, so the users password must be a certain length and contain upper-case, lower-case and numerical values. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "oscar" <oscar@tvpromofl.com> wrote in message news:098701c3d3b4$3dfa3e50...

can I have a multiselect option for a list box in excel 2003
I am working with Excel 2003, I created different list boxes for different fields but I wanted to know if I could select more then one answer by using CTRL command? Is that only available for later versions? thanks Yes, you can. Depending on what type of listbox it is and where it's located, the instructions to modify the settings would be different. If it's a listbox from the Forms toobar placed on the sheet, then rightclick on it and choose Format Control, then Control tab and choose Multi. If it's a listbox from the Control toolbox toolbar placed on a workshee...

Exchange 5.5 #11
Basically, I have two different locations with AD replication between domain controllers via VPN. We also have an exchange server 5.5 installed in locations A for example. The plan is to have another exchange server in location B. The reason for that is users are complaining that getting emails from the exchange server in Location A is extremely slow. What I want to know is there a way to syncnorise email boxes on the two servers considering that we will be using exchange 5.5 on both sites. If not would exchange 2000 / 2003 do the trick? Please note that the domain controller in sit...

Question
How do I display the total number of members in any single distribution list in Outlook 2003? I have not found it after hours of searching in the help and online databases. Thanks! Outlook doesn't provide any UI for that information, although it can be = obtained with a VBA macro.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "D Taylor" <D Taylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:ECB9343C-1CF1-40E2-9490-6E...

Losing Formatting in 2003 to 2007 worksheets
I keep losing all the formating on my worksheets when going form 2003 to 2007 and vice-versa. I try to fix it and then it reverts back to a non-formatted sheet. How do I correct? Similar problem with a solution ... http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=774151 -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA ( remove unused number formats/styles or excess cond. formatting... free download: http://excelusergroup.org/media/p/4861.aspx ) "dalia007ii" <dalia007ii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEE20258-5A02-43F8-B316-BDCBD45350F9@micro...

how to copy messages from exchange server to inbox
I need to copy the old messages from the exchange server mailbox to the users' computer, this is because we are no longer using exchange server anymore but pop3 and we would to completely move from exchange server.Please advise. Probably best posted to an Exchange group but you can always use exmerge = to export the mailboxes to .pst files and then open those in Outlook.=20 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratchin...

Windows 2003 Environment and Microsoft Office Excel temp files
Hello Everyone I’m having a issue with a Windows 2003 Environment and Microsoft Office Excel files. We have a few excel file then when edited create the normal temp file. The problem we are having is that the temp file is not going away after the file is closed. This is not causing a issue at all but does fill the directories with temp files and seems to be intermittent on what files it does and did not do this for a new file. I have confirmed the permissions on the directories and they are correct so I’m not sure what to look at next. Anyone have any ideas? This is a r...