help understand relaying and authentication

Ok... I am mucho confused.  We have exchange 2003 frontend backend servers.

I keep reading that you should not allow anonymous access to your email
server, or people will relay... but, If I do that, and this is our incoming
mail server, then other mail servers fail to send email to me...

On my relay restrictions page, I have only the list below selected, and no
one in the list.  Allow all compuers which successfully auth to realy
reagardles of list above is checked.

The result of this, as far as I can tell, is that anyone can send email to
my domain.

They also can not send to anyone that isn't in my domain.

If I telnet to port 25 on my mail server, do a ehlo  mail from:
me@mydomain.com   rcpt to: someone@mydomaion.com  it allows me to send data

if I  telent to port 25 on my mail server, do an ehlo  mail from:
me@mydomain.com
rcpt to: anyone@anyotherdomain.com  it says relaying denied.

Geeessh... this seems to me to be exactly what I want, but everthing I read
says I should be turning off anon in the auth. ... but when I do that, and

telnet to port 25 on my mail server, ehlo, mail from me@mydomain.com  it
immediately throws me out... and that's all a fellow mail server is going to
do as well... so it will never be able to send an email to mydomain.!!!!
Arrrg, can anyone help me out with this one, urgently as I'm going on
vacation tomorrow and we had a little spam incident, which I am conivinced
had nothing to do with my mail server, I've been watching it for 48 hours
straight and nothing funny going on with the queues or anything else...  we
had a guest at our business the day it happend and am fairly convinced that
he had a work on his pc and it was coming straight out form that as everyone
else in our company has AV and we have never had a problem like  this
before.. to be sure, I blocked all access to the internet on port 25 from
anyone but my mail server... and everything has been fine for the 48 hours I
have been watching.

If anywone could clear this up, point me right etc etc etc... I would hugely
appreceiate it.  I'm just wondering if what people are writing about applies
to internal mail servers rather than perimeter servers, or back end vs
fronend?  My front end server, needs to accept email for my domain, that's
its job!!

Thanks

0
BillD (32)

To receive inbound internet mail, you will need to allow anonymous access.
This allows internet mail hosts to send you mail. If you remove anonymous
access on the SMTP virtual server that receives internet mail, you won't
receive any.

Current versions of Exchange are configured out of the box with relaying
disabled - as you've already noted in the configuration, no IP addresses
exist in that list of hosts allowed to relay. (Authenticated users are
allowed to relay.)

What is relaying?
Your Exchange Org accepts email for one or a few domains. These are listed
in Recipient Policies. Recipient Policy tells Exchange to receive email for
a particular domain (like yourcompany.com), and to generate email addresses
for that domain.

- When an internet host sends you an email for anyone@yourcompany.com,
that's not relaying.
- Your server is relaying if that host tries to send a mail for
someone@someotherdomain.com to your server (without authentication), and if
your server accepts the message and forwards it to someotherdomain.com
(given that it's not configured to explicitly do so for that domain).

--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"billd" <billd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok... I am mucho confused.  We have exchange 2003 frontend backend
> servers.
>
> I keep reading that you should not allow anonymous access to your email
> server, or people will relay... but, If I do that, and this is our
> incoming
> mail server, then other mail servers fail to send email to me...
>
> On my relay restrictions page, I have only the list below selected, and no
> one in the list.  Allow all compuers which successfully auth to realy
> reagardles of list above is checked.
>
> The result of this, as far as I can tell, is that anyone can send email to
> my domain.
>
> They also can not send to anyone that isn't in my domain.
>
> If I telnet to port 25 on my mail server, do a ehlo  mail from:
> me@mydomain.com   rcpt to: someone@mydomaion.com  it allows me to send
> data
>
> if I  telent to port 25 on my mail server, do an ehlo  mail from:
> me@mydomain.com
> rcpt to: anyone@anyotherdomain.com  it says relaying denied.
>
> Geeessh... this seems to me to be exactly what I want, but everthing I
> read
> says I should be turning off anon in the auth. ... but when I do that, and
>
> telnet to port 25 on my mail server, ehlo, mail from me@mydomain.com  it
> immediately throws me out... and that's all a fellow mail server is going
> do as well... so it will never be able to send an email to mydomain.!!!!
> Arrrg, can anyone help me out with this one, urgently as I'm going on
> vacation tomorrow and we had a little spam incident, which I am conivinced
> had nothing to do with my mail server, I've been watching it for 48 hours
> straight and nothing funny going on with the queues or anything else...
> we
> had a guest at our business the day it happend and am fairly convinced
> that
> he had a work on his pc and it was coming straight out form that as
> everyone
> else in our company has AV and we have never had a problem like  this
> before.. to be sure, I blocked all access to the internet on port 25 from
> anyone but my mail server... and everything has been fine for the 48 hours
> have been watching.
>
> If anywone could clear this up, point me right etc etc etc... I would
> hugely
> appreceiate it.  I'm just wondering if what people are writing about
> applies
> to internal mail servers rather than perimeter servers, or back end vs
> fronend?  My front end server, needs to accept email for my domain, that's
> its job!!
>
> Thanks

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
8/25/2006 4:42:58 PM
.... correction: it would be relaying even if the remote host authenticates -
it's just not an open relay.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
> [...]
>> had a guest at our business the day it happend and am fairly convinced
>> that
>> he had a work on his pc and it was coming straight out form that as
>> everyone
>> else in our company has AV and we have never had a problem like  this
>> before.. to be sure, I blocked all access to the internet on port 25 from
>> anyone but my mail server... and everything has been fine for the 48
>> hours I
>> have been watching.
>>
>> If anywone could clear this up, point me right etc etc etc... I would
>> hugely
>> appreceiate it.  I'm just wondering if what people are writing about
>> applies
>> to internal mail servers rather than perimeter servers, or back end vs
>> fronend?  My front end server, needs to accept email for my domain,

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
8/25/2006 4:52:47 PM
ok... so, after doing admin on unix mail servers, for 10 years, I can stop
freaking out?  (sorry, unix admins never freak out :-))..  does anyone thing
that perhaps the docs should be changed at all????  every time I follow these
things, my whole company stops getting email... or does no one run an inbound
email server?  I don't mean to sound pissed off here, but geesh, I couldn't
find one single sight that explained this the way mr Suneja did.

Thanks I really apprecieate your help.

Cheers
Bill

0
BillD (32)
8/25/2006 8:34:02 PM
Thanks Bill - I'm glad that helped! :)
--

> ok... so, after doing admin on unix mail servers, for 10 years, I can stop
> freaking out?  (sorry, unix admins never freak out :-))..  does anyone
> thing
> that perhaps the docs should be changed at all????  every time I follow
> these
> things, my whole company stops getting email... or does no one run an
> inbound
> email server?  I don't mean to sound pissed off here, but geesh, I
> couldn't
> find one single sight that explained this the way mr Suneja did.
>
> Thanks I really apprecieate your help.
>
> Cheers
> Bill
>

> "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> .... correction: it would be relaying even if the remote host
>> authenticates -
>> it's just not an open relay.
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MVP - Exchange
>> www.zenprise.com
>> NEW blog location:
>> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>>

>> "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>> > To receive inbound internet mail, you will need to allow anonymous
>> > access.
>> > This allows internet mail hosts to send you mail. If you remove
>> > anonymous
>> > access on the SMTP virtual server that receives internet mail, you
>> > won't
>> > receive any.
>> >
>> > Current versions of Exchange are configured out of the box with
>> > relaying
>> > disabled - as you've already noted in the configuration, no IP
>> > addresses
>> > exist in that list of hosts allowed to relay. (Authenticated users are
>> > allowed to relay.)
>> >
>> > What is relaying?
>> > Your Exchange Org accepts email for one or a few domains. These are
>> > listed
>> > in Recipient Policies. Recipient Policy tells Exchange to receive email
>> > for a particular domain (like yourcompany.com), and to generate email
>> > addresses for that domain.
>> >
>> > - When an internet host sends you an email for anyone@yourcompany.com,
>> > that's not relaying.
>> > - Your server is relaying if that host tries to send a mail for
>> > someone@someotherdomain.com to your server (without authentication),
>> > and
>> > if your server accepts the message and forwards it to
>> > someotherdomain.com
>> > (given that it's not configured to explicitly do so for that domain).
>> >
>> > --
>> > Bharat Suneja
>> > MVP - Exchange
>> > www.zenprise.com
>> > NEW blog location:
>> > www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>> > ----------------------------------------------
>> >

>> > "billd" <billd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)

Need help on re-organizing this website
I have volunteered to try to re-organize the website: http://www.hcci-ks.org before we re-design/re-develop it. It apears to have been last touched with FrontPage 2003. The current maintainer is an Administrative Assistant who understands that she doesn't understand anything. If you import a copy of the website you will discover that it has 1 images sub-directory and a bunch of .htm, .pdf, .doc, .jpg files in the root. If you simply try to move the graphics from the root into the images sub-directory you will discover that you will break things because of duplicate grap...

Help
Hi... I tried to work on Word today for first time on newish Mac and realized none of my Office applications work. When I double click on Word I can see something happening as I get the circle of colours twirling, but half an hour later it still hadn't opened. I just have to do this as quickly as possible as I have a deadline for what I have to do Monday at 12. I've tried reinstalling the software, but that didn't do anything for me. Mind you I know absolutely nothing about installing anything on Mac computers so I could be doing it all wrong. Do any of you have any idea what c...

Mail Relay #7
I have a Exhcahge 2003 FE/BE setup. WE are adding another email server for encryption that will be a n outgoing relay. this will sit between my FE server and my firewall. Do I have to setup another connector to point to this server for all mail? Thanks Rick All outbound internet mail? You can insert the server as a smarthost on SMTP Connector for address space *. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Rick" <drummer10980@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1159524368.41...

Help file show tabs
When accessing HELP from Excel 2000 (Office 2000) the tabs are not shown and when SHOW TABS is selected under the Help menu the help file hangs. A second try at showing the help file is successful. This only happens in Excel. I have tried re-installing Office but that didn't solve the problem. Any suggestions? OS: XP Sp2 ...

Opening the help window
I have prototyped something before trying it for real in our application. I have this line in my prototype: ::HtmlHelp(GetSafeHwnd(), cHelpFile, HH_DISPLAY_INDEX, NULL); This opens the help system in a separate window, which I can always find later (with FindWindow) and direct to particular pages. Doing the above in the application gives me an unresolved external error, but I can't find anything to include that I'm not already including. MSDN doesn't mention what to include in the help page for HtmlHelp operation. What should I include? Or what am I missing? "GT&q...

Help with Columns
Hi Everybody: I have this excel spreadsheet from a co-worker and the problem that i'm having is that the columns only go to AK and I want to to go to beyond that. My question is: is there a way to get it to show all the columns like when you start a new speadsheet? joe They might be hidden or restricted by a scroll area macro. Why don't you ask the co-worker??? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software Granite Shoals, TX donaldb@281.com "joe" <ranchan02@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:013b01c34ae5$d68432a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi Everybody: > > I have th...

Help me do this
Hi Everyone, I need some help. I want to use Windows Live mail without signing in or having a hotmail or live account. I use gmail and it works fine. I have exported all my contacts from my live.com email and imported all of my contacts so that is not the problem. I want to import my calendar from my live account. I can't find anyway to do this. If I stop signing in of course my calendar is gone. How can I export my live.com email calendar into windows live desktop client so I don't have to sign in anymore? Thx "T-Man" <a@anon.com> wrote in message...

Help?
Ok this is for all the formulae gurus out there. TIA I have a list in a particular column, lets say column A This is a list of dates I have another cell which uses data validation to reference this list. Say B1 In cell B1 the only acceptable entries are that which are in column A Can anyone supply me with a formula for my data validation which will only allow 8 entries. These 8 entries....appearing in the list in B1 will be 8 weeks in advance of the current date. I am currently using the following formula =OFFSET(O2,MATCH(YEAR(NOW()),YEAR(O2:O200),0)-1,,SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(O2:O200)=YE...

HELP
Hi All, I'm currently running Microsoft Excell 2003 on Workstations running WindowsXP. My network is both Windows 2000 and 2003. Suddenly my file names are being changed from the names which were given and are not showing up as numbers. Does anyone have any suggestion why this may be so. Thanks Nik Did you mean "...are NOW showing as numbers." instead of "...are not showing as numbers." If yes, then maybe... When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characters--no extension). If the save is successful, xl will delete t...

Help with conditional formatting?
I am trying to set the conditional formatting on cell C21 so that if the value in cell IS21 is less than 2 the cell changes color. Then I want to copy this down column C so it evaluates across each row. I tried using FormulaIs IS21<2, but (a) it didn't change color, and (b) when I tried to copy down, every row had "IS21", rather than changing rows. How do I approach this? Ed Ed, You should use: =IS21<2 instead of IS21<21 (so, use the equal mark) Jan On Mar 13, 2:08 pm, "jan" <j...@releerf.nl> wrote: > Ed, > > You should use: > &...

need help with charting, scheduling plan
Can anyone get me started in the right direction for this project? I have to follow approximately 250-300 people for a period of 20 months in terms of them coming to a prescribed number of appointments and completing phone calls between the actual visits. Each one of these visits and calls MUST occur within a certain range of time, or in other words, a "window" and the windows are based on their previous appointment date with varying time frame from Visit 1, Visit 2, etc. For example, Visit 2 must be 20-30 days from Visit 1, Visit 3 must be 30-48 days from Visit 2, Visit 4 must be...

Please help a exchange newbie.. Message filtering
I have a contact set up on Exchange 2003 that forwards to a cell phone for alerts generated in our environment. This contact is setup to get notice of several events, all events have separate email address as the "sender" one of the events gets allot of notices. I would like to have this contact not receive mail from the one email address that generated allot of events. I have set up the properties under the exchange general > messaging restrictions, and have authenticated users only and from everyone except the email account I don't want to receive alerts from, BUT when anyon...

Macro help with saving a spreadsheet with date and time in it
Can someone help me with some code that would save a file name as "schedule-mm-dd-yyyy-hh:mm"? Thanks, Alan Alan, how about something like this Sub Save_As() ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="Schedule " & Format(Now, "mm-dd-yyyy-hh-mm") & ".xls", FileFormat:= _ xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False _ , CreateBackup:=False End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Fee...

Help!
We went live with 4 decimals on our functional currency and we now want to reduce them to 2 decimals. All of our transactions so far are in 4 decimals. Can anyone guide me into doing this? thank you Use the Change Decimal Places window to change the number of decimal places used for keeping quantity or currency amounts for items. You might need to complete this procedure if an item was set up improperly, or if you’re changing the units of measurement for an item. NOTE: If an item is on an unposted transaction, you can’t change its decimal place settings. Ensure you have a complete ba...

Exchange 5.5 SMTP Relay problem
Hi, I currently had one Exchange 5.5 SP4 server that forward all email to Mailsweeper. Mailsweeper was configured to send outgoing mail to the following: domain1.com to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain2.com to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx all other mail to yyy.yyy.yyyy.yyyy. Due to company changes I have been asked to remove the mailsweeper box, now I am having problems doing the above with Exchange. I have already configured the IMS default "forward all messages to host" yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy and E-mail domains as specified domain1.com to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain2.com to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx This wa...

Help !

LOOKUP function help
Hi everyone! I've been tackling excel for the past 2 days at work trying to format a spreadsheet I made that lists accounts associated with different people. I am trying to write up a lookup function that can look up a certain account code from a list of account codes and would ultimately return the people associated with that account number. In this case, let's say that columns A through F have information regarding the person in question and column G contains the account numbers. The array in question ranges from A2 to G549. I essentially need to write a LOOKUP f...

Need help installing Office 2007
I'm trying to install Office 2007 on my Vista PC. A short way through the installation I get this message: " Cannot Find Proofing.en-us”.... I've searched around: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=setup+cannot+find+proofing.en-us+proof.fr+proof.msi&meta=&aq=1&oq=setup+cannot+find+Proofing.en-us\Proof.fr but I can't get anything to work. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Gary What version of Office 2007. Did you have a Trial version already installed on your PC and did you remove it -- Peter ...

Help with a DL & Ldap query
Hi I am trying to get 15000 user from a distribution list into a recordset. objcommand.commandtext= _ "<LDAP://CN=ZZZ-All Users,OU=DistList,OU=XXX-XXX,DC=XXX,DC=XXX,DC=XXX>;(objectCategory=member); CN " The path is correct and I can get all users from an OU but I cannot get the members of a distribution list to populate the recordset. Thanks for any help - Dave You need to bind to the Distribution Group, get the member multivalued attribute in an array, then iterate through each member in the array to list group members. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT ---------------...

HELP Opened backup of Personal Folders .. need to close or delete
I suddenly realized my sub-mail folder FRIENDS under Personal Folders was GONE!! I opened my backup from yesterday and copied over my FRIENDS sub-folder from backup Personal Folders to my existing. PROBLEM: Now I have two Personal Folders open .. I thought closing Outlook 2003 would do it ... but, when I reopened, both are still there. How can I get rid of it? I can not find a way to close the backup ... and I don't see a way to delete it. Bonita Hillmer ladybonita@usa.com Rt click Personal Folders (the backup set), close "LadyBonita" <LadyBonita@disc...

Help with a formula..
I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell on one sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the two together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be bolded type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit our quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be bold type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell.. already tried it.. Any suggestions? Thanks! KK You'...

Help needed urgently
Hi, Im trying to check that one row of data satifies a criteria, then if it does it counts an entry in another column adjescent to it. Example: - Column A - Column B Blay - Y Blay - N Blay - Y Chop - N Chop - N High - Y What i would be asking (of a much bigger table) is If Column A = Blaydon and then column B (same row) = Y, then count. In this example I would want 2 returned as the answer. Is this possible? Thanks -- Andy Try one of these... Use cells to hold the criteria: D2 = Blaydon E2 = Y If you're using Excel 2007 or later: =COUNTIFS(A2:A7,...

help with dynamic tables

Help Q: Entering 7 p time format, does not convert to 19:00
Hi, I am running excel 2002, and when I open a new spreadsheet, and enter a time into a cell as 7 p it gets converted to 19:00 I have taken a spreadsheet file someone has given me, and reformatted it. but whenever I enter a time like 7 p it shows up as 7 p if I enter 7 pm it does get converted to 19:00 Is there a setting in the sheet itself somewhere to change this behavior ? I have searched all over, and can find no reference to this. Please help - TIA ! Hi probably differences in the Windows regional settings for both machines -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ANONRW&q...