Help please - Event ID 4183

The following error notification first appeared three days ago, but since
then has been showing up in the event log about 50 times a day, at all times
of day and night.

I have made no changes to anything my end so what has triggered these
apparent "attacks" and more over what do I need to do to stop them. They
appear to come from all over the world unless they are spoofed.  I list a
few of the origins at the end of this post.

Event ID: 4183
Source:   MSExchangeIMC
Type:      Error
Category. SMTP Interface Events

Authentication attempt (AUTH LOGIN) from 211.117.125.251 as \administrator
failed.
LogonUser() call failed with error.
Logon failure unknow user name or bad password

I am running Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 on NT4.

Any advice/pointers would be much appreciated

Thanks & Regards

Bill

Listed below are some of the addresses from which these attemps appear to
have originated from :-

0x50a07cc8.naenxx7.adsl-dhcp.tele.dk
126-176-89-200.fibertel.com.ar
211.117.125.251
211.212.189.156
211.49.81.239
218.144.203.215
220.85.178.139
222.237.79.136
58.72.8.38
58.72.8.38
59.20.161.151
59.21.61.116
59-117-125-40.dynamic.hinet.net
82.148.124.249
84.94.85.32.cable.012.net.il
c-67-169-137-47.hsd1.ca.comcast.net
ip67-94-174-210.z174-94-67.customer.algx
m21.net81-64-123.noos.fr
p0149-ipad01yosemiya.okinawa.ocn.ne.jp
p2240-ipbf1610marunouchi.tokyo.ocn.ne.jp
pool-68-163-136-51.bos.east.verizon.net
pool-72-90-230-3.nwrknj.east.verizon.net
RONGGUI
S0106000103210d3b.ed.shawcable.net
static62-99-188-172.adsl.inode.at
WIZ4RD-CEEB04DD

0
bill9508 (3)

Make sure your administrator account's password is VERY secure.  You could
also rename the administrator to something obscure.  Other than that, there
is probably not a lot you can do to stop this short of putting in an SMTP
relay in your perimeter network.  That would prevent someone from hacking
your Ex 5.5 IMS.

--
Jim McBee
Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

"Billy Stickers" <bill@tfish.net> wrote in message
> The following error notification first appeared three days ago, but since
> then has been showing up in the event log about 50 times a day, at all
> times
> of day and night.
>
> I have made no changes to anything my end so what has triggered these
> apparent "attacks" and more over what do I need to do to stop them. They
> appear to come from all over the world unless they are spoofed.  I list a
> few of the origins at the end of this post.
>
> Event ID: 4183
> Source:   MSExchangeIMC
> Type:      Error
> Category. SMTP Interface Events

> Authentication attempt (AUTH LOGIN) from 211.117.125.251 as \administrator
> failed.
> LogonUser() call failed with error.
> Logon failure unknow user name or bad password
>

> I am running Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 on NT4.
>
> Any advice/pointers would be much appreciated
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Bill
>

> Listed below are some of the addresses from which these attemps appear to
> have originated from :-
>
> 0x50a07cc8.naenxx7.adsl-dhcp.tele.dk
> 126-176-89-200.fibertel.com.ar
> 211.117.125.251
> 211.212.189.156
> 211.49.81.239
> 218.144.203.215
> 220.85.178.139
> 222.237.79.136
> 58.72.8.38
> 58.72.8.38
> 59.20.161.151
> 59.21.61.116
> 59-117-125-40.dynamic.hinet.net
> 82.148.124.249
> 84.94.85.32.cable.012.net.il
> c-67-169-137-47.hsd1.ca.comcast.net
> ip67-94-174-210.z174-94-67.customer.algx
> m21.net81-64-123.noos.fr
> p0149-ipad01yosemiya.okinawa.ocn.ne.jp
> p2240-ipbf1610marunouchi.tokyo.ocn.ne.jp
> pool-68-163-136-51.bos.east.verizon.net
> pool-72-90-230-3.nwrknj.east.verizon.net
> RONGGUI
> S0106000103210d3b.ed.shawcable.net
> static62-99-188-172.adsl.inode.at
> WIZ4RD-CEEB04DD

0
jmcbee9404 (625)
10/4/2006 10:37:38 PM
Jim,

Thank you for your reply and I believe our password is secure. However I am
not an IT professional just an electrical engineer who has a little more
than rudimentary knowledge but to whom our IT matters and problems seem to
befall, and your suggestion of putting a relay in perimeter network is
beyond my knowledge.

Since my post of last night the attacks have escalated to almost one a
minute and now with a whole variety of usernames.

Is there any explanation for the onset of these attacks.

Thanks and Regards

Bill

appologies to the top posting police

"Jim McBee (MVP - Exchange)" <jmcbee@cta.spambegone.net> wrote in message
> Make sure your administrator account's password is VERY secure.  You could
> also rename the administrator to something obscure.  Other than that,
there
> is probably not a lot you can do to stop this short of putting in an SMTP
> relay in your perimeter network.  That would prevent someone from hacking
> your Ex 5.5 IMS.
>

> --
> Jim McBee
> Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
> Directory Update - http://www.directory-update.com
>

> "Billy Stickers" <bill@tfish.net> wrote in message
> > The following error notification first appeared three days ago, but
since
> > then has been showing up in the event log about 50 times a day, at all
> > times
> > of day and night.
> >
> > I have made no changes to anything my end so what has triggered these
> > apparent "attacks" and more over what do I need to do to stop them. They
> > appear to come from all over the world unless they are spoofed.  I list
> > few of the origins at the end of this post.
> >
> > Event ID: 4183
> > Source:   MSExchangeIMC
> > Type:      Error
> > Category. SMTP Interface Events

> > Authentication attempt (AUTH LOGIN) from 211.117.125.251 as
\administrator
> > failed.
> > LogonUser() call failed with error.
> > Logon failure unknow user name or bad password
> >

> > I am running Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 on NT4.
> >
> > Any advice/pointers would be much appreciated
> >
> > Thanks & Regards
> >
> > Bill
> >

> > Listed below are some of the addresses from which these attemps appear
> > have originated from :-
> >
> > 0x50a07cc8.naenxx7.adsl-dhcp.tele.dk
> > 126-176-89-200.fibertel.com.ar
> > 211.117.125.251
> > 211.212.189.156
> > 211.49.81.239
> > 218.144.203.215
> > 220.85.178.139
> > 222.237.79.136
> > 58.72.8.38
> > 58.72.8.38
> > 59.20.161.151
> > 59.21.61.116
> > 59-117-125-40.dynamic.hinet.net
> > 82.148.124.249
> > 84.94.85.32.cable.012.net.il
> > c-67-169-137-47.hsd1.ca.comcast.net
> > ip67-94-174-210.z174-94-67.customer.algx
> > m21.net81-64-123.noos.fr
> > p0149-ipad01yosemiya.okinawa.ocn.ne.jp
> > p2240-ipbf1610marunouchi.tokyo.ocn.ne.jp
> > pool-68-163-136-51.bos.east.verizon.net
> > pool-72-90-230-3.nwrknj.east.verizon.net
> > RONGGUI
> > S0106000103210d3b.ed.shawcable.net
> > static62-99-188-172.adsl.inode.at
> > WIZ4RD-CEEB04DD

0
bill9508 (3)
10/5/2006 1:45:07 PM
It sounds like someone is trying to find your Administrator password so they
can use you to relay messages. This has become more common of late. Often
times they will run other usernames against the smtp virtual in order to
find an account they can use to relay mail through your system.

> [...]
>> > have originated from :-
>> >
>> > 0x50a07cc8.naenxx7.adsl-dhcp.tele.dk
>> > 126-176-89-200.fibertel.com.ar
>> > 211.117.125.251
>> > 211.212.189.156
>> > 211.49.81.239
>> > 218.144.203.215
>> > 220.85.178.139
>> > 222.237.79.136
>> > 58.72.8.38
>> > 58.72.8.38
>> > 59.20.161.151
>> > 59.21.61.116
>> > 59-117-125-40.dynamic.hinet.net
>> > 82.148.124.249
>> > 84.94.85.32.cable.012.net.il
>> > c-67-169-137-47.hsd1.ca.comcast.net
>> > ip67-94-174-210.z174-94-67.customer.algx
>> > m21.net81-64-123.noos.fr
>> > p0149-ipad01yosemiya.okinawa.ocn.ne.jp
>> > p2240-ipbf1610marunouchi.tokyo.ocn.ne.jp
>> > pool-68-163-136-51.bos.east.verizon.net
>> > pool-72-90-230-3.nwrknj.east.verizon.net

0
mitch3952 (134)
10/5/2006 5:58:39 PM
Not sure if Exchange 5.5 can do this, but you might consider tar pitting.
This will not stop that type of attack, but it will serious discourage it.

Tar Pitting basically makes the exchange server wait X time before accepting
the next command should the SMTP connection get a 550 error (Invalid
Username or Password).

I have my Exchange Server setup to wait 30 seconds after a 550 error before
it will accept a command from that SMTP connection.

Andrew

"mitch Roberson" <mitch@newsgroups.stuff> wrote in message
> It sounds like someone is trying to find your Administrator password so
> they can use you to relay messages. This has become more common of late.
> Often times they will run other usernames against the smtp virtual in
> order to find an account they can use to relay mail through your system.
>

> "Billy Stickers" <bill@tfish.net> wrote in message
>> Jim,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply and I believe our password is secure. However I
>> am
>> not an IT professional just an electrical engineer who has a little more
>> than rudimentary knowledge but to whom our IT matters and problems seem
>> befall, and your suggestion of putting a relay in perimeter network is
>> beyond my knowledge.
>>
>> Since my post of last night the attacks have escalated to almost one a
>> minute and now with a whole variety of usernames.
>>
>> Is there any explanation for the onset of these attacks.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> appologies to the top posting police
>>

>> "Jim McBee (MVP - Exchange)" <jmcbee@cta.spambegone.net> wrote in message
>>> Make sure your administrator account's password is VERY secure.  You
>>> could
>>> also rename the administrator to something obscure.  Other than that,
>> there
>>> is probably not a lot you can do to stop this short of putting in an
>>> SMTP
>>> relay in your perimeter network.  That would prevent someone from
>>> hacking
>>> your Ex 5.5 IMS.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jim McBee
>>> Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
>>> Directory Update - http://www.directory-update.com
>>>

>>> "Billy Stickers" <bill@tfish.net> wrote in message
>> since

>> \administrator

Thanks for the tip Andrew. I will see if there is a  way to implement the
delay

Cheers

Bill

"Andrew" <1800PRIVATE@NOWHERE.COM> wrote in message
> Not sure if Exchange 5.5 can do this, but you might consider tar pitting.
> This will not stop that type of attack, but it will serious discourage it.
>
> Tar Pitting basically makes the exchange server wait X time before
accepting
> the next command should the SMTP connection get a 550 error (Invalid
> Username or Password).
>
> I have my Exchange Server setup to wait 30 seconds after a 550 error
before
> it will accept a command from that SMTP connection.
>
> Andrew
>
> "mitch Roberson" <mitch@newsgroups.stuff> wrote in message
> > It sounds like someone is trying to find your Administrator password so
> > they can use you to relay messages. This has become more common of late.
> > Often times they will run other usernames against the smtp virtual in
> > order to find an account they can use to relay mail through your system.
> >

> > "Billy Stickers" <bill@tfish.net> wrote in message
> >> Jim,
> >>
> >> Thank you for your reply and I believe our password is secure. However
> >> am
> >> not an IT professional just an electrical engineer who has a little
more
> >> than rudimentary knowledge but to whom our IT matters and problems seem
> >> befall, and your suggestion of putting a relay in perimeter network is
> >> beyond my knowledge.
> >>
> >> Since my post of last night the attacks have escalated to almost one a
> >> minute and now with a whole variety of usernames.
> >>
> >> Is there any explanation for the onset of these attacks.
> >>
> >> Thanks and Regards
> >>
> >> Bill
> >>
> >> appologies to the top posting police
> >>

> >> "Jim McBee (MVP - Exchange)" <jmcbee@cta.spambegone.net> wrote in
message
> >> there

> >> since

> >> \administrator

0
bill9508 (3)

Problems of layout
When I import data from the web such as tables etc, lots ot the rows fold up almost on top of each other so that to read the data, I have to alter the row height every time. How can I preserve the formatting of the cells so that this doesn't happen. thanks ...

Need help with update sql plus filter
I have the following update sql (copied from the query design view) UPDATE ListQry SET ListQry.ApprovalStatusID = [Forms]![OpeningForm]![Responsibility] WHERE (((ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)<[Forms]![OpeningForm]![Responsibility] And (ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)>-1) AND ((ListQry.OtherStatusID)>300)) OR (((ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)<[Forms]![OpeningForm]![Responsibility] And (ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)>-1) AND ((ListQry.OtherStatusID) Is Null)); ApprovalStatusID is an integer OtherStatusID is an integer ListQry is the recordsource for my form. I would like to add the f...

After/Before ModalDialog event
Transaction>Sales>Cash Receipt, enter an incomplete trx, click DELETE button, it will fire both before/after modaldialog event. but click SAVE button but it does NOT fire before/after modaldialog??? "but click SAVE button but it does NOT fire before/after modaldialog???" I give up, what does it do? And as a followup, what do you want it to do? patrick dev support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "HFLo" <HFLo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAAA05B7-231F-4ABC-8372-79BA0A5615D...

Event ID 9554
Hello, I'm getting the following error on two Win2k3 Standard edition servers, running MS Exchange 2003 enterprise edition, every 30 minutes. The servers are in two different sites in two seperate physical location. Both Exchange servers are in the same Exchange Admin group. The second Exchange server is not used in production and runs on a DC (I'm aware this is not best practice. Limited budget.). Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9554 Date: 11/1/2005 Time: 5:25:22 AM User: N/A Computer: CONTEX01 Description: Unable to updat...

Hyperlink File Help

REQ: Can Someone Help Me With This Outlook XP Question?
Hello All: I use Word to edit my e-mail msgs in Outlook XP. I had to reinstall Office the other day and now whenever I want to start a new e-mail or reply to an e-mail I get a warning that comes up: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'" There is a box that asks for the amount of time to allow the access: 1 to 10 minutes. Do I have to have specific settings for my Outlook address book? I use the Contact area in Outlook for addresses. I have ...

IWAN & IUSR bei Crystal Reports? *help*
Hi NG, my problem is that i can see the crystal reports, but when i open one i get "more information is needed". But till yesterday i could open reports!! Now after some search i see that i have no IUSR_servane and no IWAM_servername. how could this happen? My system is AD, SQL, CRM and each of them is one a seperate 2003 server. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Regards Nicolas F�hrs sound strange with the IWAN and IUSR. I offten have this problem. There are a techknowledge article with 13 resoluti...

When launching Outlook I recieve the following error... please he
When launching Outlook 2003 I recieve the following error: The add-in "C:\PROGRAM~1\SPAMBL~1\Bin\461~1.0\SBOLExt.dll" could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help menu. I ran the Detect and Repair and that didn't work. I ran the repair option from Add and Remove Program in Control Panel and that didn't work. I also un-installed and then re-installed Outlook 2003 and that didn't work. I'm running Windows 2000. Any ideals...? Did you have something possibly called SpamBlocker installed at some point?...

Help With Strange Error When Trying to Save Any Record
I am getting astrane error happens when try to create any new record (Customer, Item, Vendor or Account), the system gives me a message that "Save Operation Failed" and when i click "More Info" the error message is "Could not find stored procedure 'DYNAMICS.dbo.aagGetCompanyStatus'", although i have created alot of items, customers, accounts and vendors before but suddenly this error appeared. Any quick help will be highly appreciated. It would appear that the AAG has something to do with a product produced by American Association of Geographers. I...

help with preview pane and "read receipts"
Hi, I'm new to Outlook administration. We run Outlook on a server wit Exchange. Is it possible to setup Outlook on client PC's so that th preview pane cannot be activated by individual users? Also, can the blocking of "read receipts" by individual PC users b prohibited within Outlook, at the server level? If not, is there an other way to do it? My reasoning for wanting to do the above two things is to make th "read receipts" function work more effectively. Thanks for your suggestions. : ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from h...

Need help with formula 01-13-10

MSExchangeIS Event ID 9556
One user suddenly couldn't connect to the Exchange server (SBS 2003). Other users could log in to his PC and get their mail, and he could get his mail if he logged into another PC. (Although I'd like to know why on some other PCs he could go right into it, and one others he had to set up an Exchange account. It did not matter if the PC had 2k or XP. There are no roaming profiles.) I thought it might be a corrupt profile, so I deleted his Windows profile on his PC and created a new one, but it made no difference. (I don't know if the MAPI profile is part of the Windows profile ...

please help with this query

Help with Do...Loop
Hi I need a check to be done to see if column a has a number in it then to check if column b has a number. If column B doesn't have a number then I need it to stop and give a msgbox, When column A doesn't have data then I need the loop to stop as we dont have to check column b The code below is what I have but when I try to run it it keeps saying LOOP WITHOUT DO. I hope someone can help me as I am not very good with loops. mykeycode = Range("B32") mysell = Range("N32") Do mykeycode = mykeycode + 1 mysell = ...

Help on Macro or Formula
Hi, i hope someone can help me. i need to create a formula that sits in a cell and looks for data. ( obvioiusly ). however, the formula needs to be in place even though the file from ehere the data comes from might not be there yet. ( i have to create a book that when a new file is created, the links are already in place ). i think it could work with an IF type formula for ( if B2="",""). here is my information. Cell description: A2 = Job no. B2 = Client Name D2 = Actual Spend on project Register!D2 = Job Description Register!H2 = Quoted Amount my path is S:\Clients\...

Active docuent
Hello, I just want to show up an RTF report file previously created using automation into a non-modal dialog. CRichText activeX control does not work for this purpose as shows tables, headers etc... diferent from what is into RTF file. I've read about Active Document and the ability to use MS Word seamessly into my aplication. I've downloaded a couple of examples and read a bit about (hard to implement technology, my aplication doesn´t support (i.e. didn't check active container support in wizard when created). It looks that MS Word (or any other active document) takes co...

I need help
Here is my problem. A couple of years ago I began playing around with money. But I have come to the conclusion that I really do like the services, but I now have a bunch of acct. info that should have been input in a better manner. I want to know how do I delete all of the old info so that I can start fresh. I deleted that money program once and reloaded it but it retrieved all of the old garbage that I did not want. Your help is greatly appreciated. Sincerly, Matt On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:58:14 -0700, "Matt" <mrisher4@hotmail.com> wrote: >Here is my problem. A c...

Backing Up Database Help
Does anyone know how I would go about creating a macro that when I click it, it will backup the latest data onto a usb storage device. Any help is appreciated. You can't backup a database from within itself. Steveo wrote: >Does anyone know how I would go about creating a macro that when I click it, >it will backup the latest data onto a usb storage device. Any help is >appreciated. -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/2...

Help styles
With great difficulty I am now creating documents with some styles.and outline numbering Now when I copy a table from another document into this document I get 1.1.1.1 and similar numbering all over the table. How do I accomplish the copy without the numbering inside the table? afd Try this: Select the table cells and press Ctrl+Shift+N. This (re-)applies the Normal style to text. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "afdmello" <afdmello@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23R7DwkCdKHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > With great difficulty I a...

need help with xpath query
In the following XML example I am trying to grab the element that contains the exchange rate (frbny:OBS_VALUE) using SelectSingleNode & an expath expression, but none of the ones I've tried seem to work. Any suggestions? (I'm using VB .Net 2003) Thanks, Scott Emick <?xml version="1.0"?><UtilityData xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.SDMX.org/resources/SDMXML/schemas/v1_0/message http://www.sdmx.org/data/SDMXMessage.xsd http://www.newyorkfed.org/xml/schemas/FX/utility http://www.newyorkfed.org/xml/schemas/FX_Utility.xsd" xmlns:generic="http://www.SDM...

Need help with cursor
Hello, I have a small GUI monitor application that doesn't have any controls on it. Basically its a frame with a title, menu bar, and client area. I dynamically size the frame for the contents of the client. The client window contains some status information about a service. I've noticed that the cursor gets changed to inappropriate values when the cursor is moved into the client area. For instance, moving the cursor in from the side may leave the cursor looking like the sideways-resize cursor. My application is written in MS VC++ v6.0. What events do I need to hook in...