Help. Log files are killing me. Exchange 2000

I just installed exchange 2000 on a new machine on a 36GIG drive. I have
another empty 36GIG drive. I did not realize that log files take so much
space. I only 3 GIG of free space left.

1. How can I move the log files to my empty drive?

2. How can I delete these files w/o any problem on Exchange? I mean almost
20GIG of log files in one day. Give me a break.

3. Is there a way to do that automatically.

Thanks,



0
9/7/2004 7:19:49 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

9 Replies
553 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 32

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:19:49 -0400, "Dooma"
<Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I just installed exchange 2000 on a new machine on a 36GIG drive. I have
>another empty 36GIG drive. I did not realize that log files take so much
>space. I only 3 GIG of free space left.
>
>1. How can I move the log files to my empty drive?
>
>2. How can I delete these files w/o any problem on Exchange? I mean almost
>20GIG of log files in one day. Give me a break.
>
>3. Is there a way to do that automatically.
>
>Thanks,
>
>

Log files shouldn't take up much space on such a small server as
yours.
Are you backing up the server properly? You need to make sure that you
back up the entire storage group (all mailbox stores in the case of
Enterprise and the Public store) otherwise the logs cannot be
truncated.
0
mark7219 (5666)
9/7/2004 7:34:38 PM
The way I  do backup is at night. I use Veritaes backup. Is that the backup
you are talking about?


"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:483sj0d4a9dr5m8b3l8a7emdreinqgmqhu@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:19:49 -0400, "Dooma"
> <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I just installed exchange 2000 on a new machine on a 36GIG drive. I have
> >another empty 36GIG drive. I did not realize that log files take so much
> >space. I only 3 GIG of free space left.
> >
> >1. How can I move the log files to my empty drive?
> >
> >2. How can I delete these files w/o any problem on Exchange? I mean
almost
> >20GIG of log files in one day. Give me a break.
> >
> >3. Is there a way to do that automatically.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >
>
> Log files shouldn't take up much space on such a small server as
> yours.
> Are you backing up the server properly? You need to make sure that you
> back up the entire storage group (all mailbox stores in the case of
> Enterprise and the Public store) otherwise the logs cannot be
> truncated.


0
9/7/2004 8:26:45 PM
Make sure you're doing a FULL backup with option to "flush commited logs"
(or something like that). I've heard some incidents regarding Veritas
failing to remove log files. Search suppor.veritas.com for an answer.

Something tells me that you have another problem, 20GB of logs in a day just
sounds outrageous.

"Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e4zWAkRlEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> The way I  do backup is at night. I use Veritaes backup. Is that the
backup
> you are talking about?
>
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:483sj0d4a9dr5m8b3l8a7emdreinqgmqhu@4ax.com...
> > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:19:49 -0400, "Dooma"
> > <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I just installed exchange 2000 on a new machine on a 36GIG drive. I
have
> > >another empty 36GIG drive. I did not realize that log files take so
much
> > >space. I only 3 GIG of free space left.
> > >
> > >1. How can I move the log files to my empty drive?
> > >
> > >2. How can I delete these files w/o any problem on Exchange? I mean
> almost
> > >20GIG of log files in one day. Give me a break.
> > >
> > >3. Is there a way to do that automatically.
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Log files shouldn't take up much space on such a small server as
> > yours.
> > Are you backing up the server properly? You need to make sure that you
> > back up the entire storage group (all mailbox stores in the case of
> > Enterprise and the Public store) otherwise the logs cannot be
> > truncated.
>
>


0
9/8/2004 1:53:33 AM
I know. My priv.edb is only 12GIG. I just updated my anti virus software and
found many mass mailing viruses and some Trojans such as Download.Trojan. Do
you thing this might be the problem?


"Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
news:%23HqXpaUlEHA.2380@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Make sure you're doing a FULL backup with option to "flush commited logs"
> (or something like that). I've heard some incidents regarding Veritas
> failing to remove log files. Search suppor.veritas.com for an answer.
>
> Something tells me that you have another problem, 20GB of logs in a day
just
> sounds outrageous.
>
> "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:e4zWAkRlEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > The way I  do backup is at night. I use Veritaes backup. Is that the
> backup
> > you are talking about?
> >
> >
> > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > news:483sj0d4a9dr5m8b3l8a7emdreinqgmqhu@4ax.com...
> > > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:19:49 -0400, "Dooma"
> > > <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > >I just installed exchange 2000 on a new machine on a 36GIG drive. I
> have
> > > >another empty 36GIG drive. I did not realize that log files take so
> much
> > > >space. I only 3 GIG of free space left.
> > > >
> > > >1. How can I move the log files to my empty drive?
> > > >
> > > >2. How can I delete these files w/o any problem on Exchange? I mean
> > almost
> > > >20GIG of log files in one day. Give me a break.
> > > >
> > > >3. Is there a way to do that automatically.
> > > >
> > > >Thanks,
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > Log files shouldn't take up much space on such a small server as
> > > yours.
> > > Are you backing up the server properly? You need to make sure that you
> > > back up the entire storage group (all mailbox stores in the case of
> > > Enterprise and the Public store) otherwise the logs cannot be
> > > truncated.
> >
> >
>
>


0
9/8/2004 4:19:35 PM
Could be. If that's the case, did you see thousands of items in the outgoing
queue on the server? I've never really seen an infected network so I can't
say much about it.

I'd like to add 1 more thing, make sure your antivirus software does not
scan exchange folder (at the file level). Let Exchange aware antivirus take
care of it.

"Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2361mj%23blEHA.3824@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I know. My priv.edb is only 12GIG. I just updated my anti virus software
and
> found many mass mailing viruses and some Trojans such as Download.Trojan.
Do
> you thing this might be the problem?
>
>
> "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
> news:%23HqXpaUlEHA.2380@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Make sure you're doing a FULL backup with option to "flush commited
logs"
> > (or something like that). I've heard some incidents regarding Veritas
> > failing to remove log files. Search suppor.veritas.com for an answer.
> >
> > Something tells me that you have another problem, 20GB of logs in a day
> just
> > sounds outrageous.
> >
> > "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:e4zWAkRlEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > The way I  do backup is at night. I use Veritaes backup. Is that the
> > backup
> > > you are talking about?
> > >
> > >
> > > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > news:483sj0d4a9dr5m8b3l8a7emdreinqgmqhu@4ax.com...
> > > > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:19:49 -0400, "Dooma"
> > > > <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > >I just installed exchange 2000 on a new machine on a 36GIG drive. I
> > have
> > > > >another empty 36GIG drive. I did not realize that log files take so
> > much
> > > > >space. I only 3 GIG of free space left.
> > > > >
> > > > >1. How can I move the log files to my empty drive?
> > > > >
> > > > >2. How can I delete these files w/o any problem on Exchange? I mean
> > > almost
> > > > >20GIG of log files in one day. Give me a break.
> > > > >
> > > > >3. Is there a way to do that automatically.
> > > > >
> > > > >Thanks,
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > Log files shouldn't take up much space on such a small server as
> > > > yours.
> > > > Are you backing up the server properly? You need to make sure that
you
> > > > back up the entire storage group (all mailbox stores in the case of
> > > > Enterprise and the Public store) otherwise the logs cannot be
> > > > truncated.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
9/8/2004 6:36:58 PM
Thank you for your help. I saw many unknown items in my outgoing queue. I am
running NAV exchange scanner to find these Trojans.

Again thanks for the help.



"Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
news:%23NuZVLdlEHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Could be. If that's the case, did you see thousands of items in the
outgoing
> queue on the server? I've never really seen an infected network so I can't
> say much about it.
>
> I'd like to add 1 more thing, make sure your antivirus software does not
> scan exchange folder (at the file level). Let Exchange aware antivirus
take
> care of it.
>
> "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2361mj%23blEHA.3824@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > I know. My priv.edb is only 12GIG. I just updated my anti virus software
> and
> > found many mass mailing viruses and some Trojans such as
Download.Trojan.
> Do
> > you thing this might be the problem?
> >
> >
> > "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23HqXpaUlEHA.2380@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > Make sure you're doing a FULL backup with option to "flush commited
> logs"
> > > (or something like that). I've heard some incidents regarding Veritas
> > > failing to remove log files. Search suppor.veritas.com for an answer.
> > >
> > > Something tells me that you have another problem, 20GB of logs in a
day
> > just
> > > sounds outrageous.
> > >
> > > "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:e4zWAkRlEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > > The way I  do backup is at night. I use Veritaes backup. Is that the
> > > backup
> > > > you are talking about?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > > news:483sj0d4a9dr5m8b3l8a7emdreinqgmqhu@4ax.com...
> > > > > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:19:49 -0400, "Dooma"
> > > > > <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > >I just installed exchange 2000 on a new machine on a 36GIG drive.
I
> > > have
> > > > > >another empty 36GIG drive. I did not realize that log files take
so
> > > much
> > > > > >space. I only 3 GIG of free space left.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >1. How can I move the log files to my empty drive?
> > > > > >
> > > > > >2. How can I delete these files w/o any problem on Exchange? I
mean
> > > > almost
> > > > > >20GIG of log files in one day. Give me a break.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >3. Is there a way to do that automatically.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >Thanks,
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Log files shouldn't take up much space on such a small server as
> > > > > yours.
> > > > > Are you backing up the server properly? You need to make sure that
> you
> > > > > back up the entire storage group (all mailbox stores in the case
of
> > > > > Enterprise and the Public store) otherwise the logs cannot be
> > > > > truncated.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
9/9/2004 5:40:06 PM
Ummm... you could be a victim of dictionary attack. Seems like more people
post questions about this problem lately. I myself get those type of mail
close to 1 thousand a day.

"Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23KmsNQplEHA.396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thank you for your help. I saw many unknown items in my outgoing queue. I
am
> running NAV exchange scanner to find these Trojans.
>
> Again thanks for the help.
>
>
>
> "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
> news:%23NuZVLdlEHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Could be. If that's the case, did you see thousands of items in the
> outgoing
> > queue on the server? I've never really seen an infected network so I
can't
> > say much about it.
> >
> > I'd like to add 1 more thing, make sure your antivirus software does not
> > scan exchange folder (at the file level). Let Exchange aware antivirus
> take
> > care of it.
> >
> > "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:%2361mj%23blEHA.3824@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > I know. My priv.edb is only 12GIG. I just updated my anti virus
software
> > and
> > > found many mass mailing viruses and some Trojans such as
> Download.Trojan.
> > Do
> > > you thing this might be the problem?
> > >
> > >
> > > "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
> > > news:%23HqXpaUlEHA.2380@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > > Make sure you're doing a FULL backup with option to "flush commited
> > logs"
> > > > (or something like that). I've heard some incidents regarding
Veritas
> > > > failing to remove log files. Search suppor.veritas.com for an
answer.
> > > >
> > > > Something tells me that you have another problem, 20GB of logs in a
> day
> > > just
> > > > sounds outrageous.
> > > >
> > > > "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:e4zWAkRlEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > > > The way I  do backup is at night. I use Veritaes backup. Is that
the
> > > > backup
> > > > > you are talking about?
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > > > news:483sj0d4a9dr5m8b3l8a7emdreinqgmqhu@4ax.com...
> > > > > > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:19:49 -0400, "Dooma"
> > > > > > <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > >I just installed exchange 2000 on a new machine on a 36GIG
drive.
> I
> > > > have
> > > > > > >another empty 36GIG drive. I did not realize that log files
take
> so
> > > > much
> > > > > > >space. I only 3 GIG of free space left.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >1. How can I move the log files to my empty drive?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >2. How can I delete these files w/o any problem on Exchange? I
> mean
> > > > > almost
> > > > > > >20GIG of log files in one day. Give me a break.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >3. Is there a way to do that automatically.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >Thanks,
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Log files shouldn't take up much space on such a small server as
> > > > > > yours.
> > > > > > Are you backing up the server properly? You need to make sure
that
> > you
> > > > > > back up the entire storage group (all mailbox stores in the case
> of
> > > > > > Enterprise and the Public store) otherwise the logs cannot be
> > > > > > truncated.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
9/9/2004 10:31:39 PM
What would you recommend I do other than my anti virus software and
firewall?


"Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
news:eGz%23JzrlEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Ummm... you could be a victim of dictionary attack. Seems like more people
> post questions about this problem lately. I myself get those type of mail
> close to 1 thousand a day.
>
> "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23KmsNQplEHA.396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Thank you for your help. I saw many unknown items in my outgoing queue.
I
> am
> > running NAV exchange scanner to find these Trojans.
> >
> > Again thanks for the help.
> >
> >
> >
> > "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23NuZVLdlEHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Could be. If that's the case, did you see thousands of items in the
> > outgoing
> > > queue on the server? I've never really seen an infected network so I
> can't
> > > say much about it.
> > >
> > > I'd like to add 1 more thing, make sure your antivirus software does
not
> > > scan exchange folder (at the file level). Let Exchange aware antivirus
> > take
> > > care of it.
> > >
> > > "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:%2361mj%23blEHA.3824@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > > I know. My priv.edb is only 12GIG. I just updated my anti virus
> software
> > > and
> > > > found many mass mailing viruses and some Trojans such as
> > Download.Trojan.
> > > Do
> > > > you thing this might be the problem?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in
message
> > > > news:%23HqXpaUlEHA.2380@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > > > Make sure you're doing a FULL backup with option to "flush
commited
> > > logs"
> > > > > (or something like that). I've heard some incidents regarding
> Veritas
> > > > > failing to remove log files. Search suppor.veritas.com for an
> answer.
> > > > >
> > > > > Something tells me that you have another problem, 20GB of logs in
a
> > day
> > > > just
> > > > > sounds outrageous.
> > > > >
> > > > > "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > > > news:e4zWAkRlEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > The way I  do backup is at night. I use Veritaes backup. Is that
> the
> > > > > backup
> > > > > > you are talking about?
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > > > > news:483sj0d4a9dr5m8b3l8a7emdreinqgmqhu@4ax.com...
> > > > > > > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:19:49 -0400, "Dooma"
> > > > > > > <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >I just installed exchange 2000 on a new machine on a 36GIG
> drive.
> > I
> > > > > have
> > > > > > > >another empty 36GIG drive. I did not realize that log files
> take
> > so
> > > > > much
> > > > > > > >space. I only 3 GIG of free space left.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >1. How can I move the log files to my empty drive?
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >2. How can I delete these files w/o any problem on Exchange?
I
> > mean
> > > > > > almost
> > > > > > > >20GIG of log files in one day. Give me a break.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >3. Is there a way to do that automatically.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >Thanks,
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Log files shouldn't take up much space on such a small server
as
> > > > > > > yours.
> > > > > > > Are you backing up the server properly? You need to make sure
> that
> > > you
> > > > > > > back up the entire storage group (all mailbox stores in the
case
> > of
> > > > > > > Enterprise and the Public store) otherwise the logs cannot be
> > > > > > > truncated.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
9/10/2004 4:32:47 PM
choices are:
1) block them at the firewall
2) put an smtp gateway with spam filtering capability. Set it up to query
against your GAL
3) let those junk mail hit your Exchange server but turn off NDR generation

For a small environment like mine, option 1 is very easy to implement.
That's what I'm doing.

"Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uxRARP1lEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> What would you recommend I do other than my anti virus software and
> firewall?
>
>
> "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
> news:eGz%23JzrlEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Ummm... you could be a victim of dictionary attack. Seems like more
people
> > post questions about this problem lately. I myself get those type of
mail
> > close to 1 thousand a day.
> >
> > "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23KmsNQplEHA.396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Thank you for your help. I saw many unknown items in my outgoing
queue.
> I
> > am
> > > running NAV exchange scanner to find these Trojans.
> > >
> > > Again thanks for the help.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
> > > news:%23NuZVLdlEHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > > Could be. If that's the case, did you see thousands of items in the
> > > outgoing
> > > > queue on the server? I've never really seen an infected network so I
> > can't
> > > > say much about it.
> > > >
> > > > I'd like to add 1 more thing, make sure your antivirus software does
> not
> > > > scan exchange folder (at the file level). Let Exchange aware
antivirus
> > > take
> > > > care of it.
> > > >
> > > > "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:%2361mj%23blEHA.3824@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > > > I know. My priv.edb is only 12GIG. I just updated my anti virus
> > software
> > > > and
> > > > > found many mass mailing viruses and some Trojans such as
> > > Download.Trojan.
> > > > Do
> > > > > you thing this might be the problem?
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in
> message
> > > > > news:%23HqXpaUlEHA.2380@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > Make sure you're doing a FULL backup with option to "flush
> commited
> > > > logs"
> > > > > > (or something like that). I've heard some incidents regarding
> > Veritas
> > > > > > failing to remove log files. Search suppor.veritas.com for an
> > answer.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Something tells me that you have another problem, 20GB of logs
in
> a
> > > day
> > > > > just
> > > > > > sounds outrageous.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > > > > news:e4zWAkRlEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > > The way I  do backup is at night. I use Veritaes backup. Is
that
> > the
> > > > > > backup
> > > > > > > you are talking about?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > > > > > news:483sj0d4a9dr5m8b3l8a7emdreinqgmqhu@4ax.com...
> > > > > > > > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:19:49 -0400, "Dooma"
> > > > > > > > <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > >I just installed exchange 2000 on a new machine on a 36GIG
> > drive.
> > > I
> > > > > > have
> > > > > > > > >another empty 36GIG drive. I did not realize that log files
> > take
> > > so
> > > > > > much
> > > > > > > > >space. I only 3 GIG of free space left.
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > >1. How can I move the log files to my empty drive?
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > >2. How can I delete these files w/o any problem on
Exchange?
> I
> > > mean
> > > > > > > almost
> > > > > > > > >20GIG of log files in one day. Give me a break.
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > >3. Is there a way to do that automatically.
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > >Thanks,
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Log files shouldn't take up much space on such a small
server
> as
> > > > > > > > yours.
> > > > > > > > Are you backing up the server properly? You need to make
sure
> > that
> > > > you
> > > > > > > > back up the entire storage group (all mailbox stores in the
> case
> > > of
> > > > > > > > Enterprise and the Public store) otherwise the logs cannot
be
> > > > > > > > truncated.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
9/11/2004 12:50:41 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

"The connection to the Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"
I have setup a number of user accounts and the relative mailboxes without any problem. However, since this afternoon, if I try and connect to a newly mailbox through the email accounts wizard I get the following error message: "The connection to the Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action". This also occurs when I go to File>Open>Other User's Folder... and I try and lookup an existing account/mailbox that I know I have permission to. I know Outlook is connected to the Exchange server (I can ping, send and receive emails) ...

MS Money 95 data files
I hope that some one can answer this for me. I have used MS Money 95 for years, and it works just fine for me on Windows XP, however, I now have to reformat my hard drive, and have discovered that I can nolonger find my original install disk. Will the latest versions of Money still read the MS Money 95 data files. All that I have ever used the program for is to track my investments, and am unlikely to do any different in the future. Thanks Stan B In microsoft.public.money, Stan Banner wrote: >I hope that some one can answer this for me. >I have used MS Money 95 for years, and...

Exchange 2003 new install can not receive external email.
I have just setup a new Windows Server 2003 standard edition with Exchange 2003 standard edition on it. I have been working for a while trying to get it to receive external email. I can send out and send/ receive internal messages, but when someone trys to send me a message from outside our network they get the following returned mail message This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason: Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server. The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected. Recipient: <**...

Crash on 'Send"
My wife's Intel Celeron running ME started having this problem sporadically - now constantly. Outlook 2000 receives OK - everything seems fine until you hit the 'Send' button then Outlook crashes giving an error message that says 'Outlook has caused an error in <unknown> and has to shut down. If the problem persists you may have to restart your computer.' Re-starting however has no effect. I have re-installed Office. Used 'Detect & Repair' under the 'Help' tab, and installed all patches/updates from the Office site. But this error continues, now...

Exchange update problem
I have tried to upgrade exch2k3 sp1 to sp2, but the update fails with "the file pcproxy.dll is in use, and setup cannot identify the app or srvc. setup cannot continue" Any clues/ideas/suggestions? Please. -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message has been checked for all known viruses. The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be the subject of legal, professional or other privilege. It is intended for the named addressee only and may not ...

Addressing within Exchange 2003
We are running Exchange 2003 SP2. We setup an MX record for a external email(alumni.cup.edu) these mailboxes do not exist within our exchange org. But when we send email to these externals email mailboxes we are getting the following NDRs: #5.5.0 smtp;550 Mailbox unavailable. #5.4.0 Is there a way in exchange to ignore these email address so that we don't get the NDR from within our Exchange Org? On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 08:08:02 -0700, Sabo, Eric <sabo_e@cup.edu> wrote: >We are running Exchange 2003 SP2. We setup an MX record for a external >email(alumni.cup.edu...

Drag and Drop file/directory names on Tree Control.
hi, I am writing an application in which i have one Tree control. Now i want that , when user drag & drop any file/folder on tree control the file name/folder name should be add in the tree control item. User may drag and drop file from desktop or may be from directory. I just want the path of that file/foder name nothing else. so plz tell me will it be possible ... Plz Help me............. Klic..... > I am writing an application in which i have one Tree control. >Now i want that , when user drag & drop any file/folder on tree >control the file nam...

Need help with Auto Filter
I have a spreedsheet that is filtered in multiple columns. I am running a "Subtotal" function to count certian rows when I filter the column. My question is this. Is there a way to save or freeze the data that the subtotal function counts in a different cell. In other words I want subtotal to count everything in a particular column but I want to be able to save that number somewhere so that when I filter again with another variable I am able to still view the first subtotal to compare the two. I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provi...

Install Exchange 2003 Server on new Hardware with same name
I got a new server to move my Exchange Server Installation. I want to keep the name I'm using now for my Server. Already read TechNet Article "How to Move Exchange Server 2003 to New Hardware and Keep the Same Server Name". Is there anything else that I should be aware of that is not on this TechNet article? I'm using a different Disk Configuration, does this matters? Should this be a smooth process? Thanks for any help you can give. The drive letters MUST match, because the paths of the databases are at the Active Directory. The disks can have different sizes than the or...

Exchange 2k3 imap VS startup
I have an E2k3 SP1 enterprise edition server. Whenever I reboot, the IMAP4 Virtual server does not start back up. I have to go into Exchange System Manager and manually start it. How do I make it start automatically? Tim How is the service set up - to start manually or automatically? Also, I'd check the dependencies the service has. It may be that it's trying to start before the other services have completed starting. Missy "Tim" <tjc7546@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:u14PBseFFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... I have an E2k3 SP1 enterprise edition serve...

[Exchange 2003] Mail enabled public folder and sender address
I have a Windows 2003 domain with a native mode Exchange 2003 organization; there are some mail enabled public folders. When a user replies to a message in a public folder, the outgoing mail's sender address is the user's one; I want it to be the public folder's one, or at least I'd like the "reply-to" address to be set to the public folder's. How can I accomplish this? Thanks Massimo You would need to grant the user permissions to be able to Send As the public folder. By default, when you reply to a message that is in a PF, the PF is not composing the ...

cant start outlook pst file to large
Hi I hope somebody may be able to help im new to outlook and now I cant start outlook message says cannot open your default email folders pst file its too large as I cannot open outlook I cannot delete old folders See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296088 -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3B824DC-3C9B-4B1B-8EF3-61...

Where is the workspace file stored?
I was given a project folder containing several dozen files. So where is the workspace file normally located? If I don't have a workspace file how can I cerate one? Using VC version 6. TIA I haven't used VC6 for some time, but if I remember right you can just open the .dsp file and it will create a .dsw file for you. It typically goes in the same folder with the code. Tom "Phisherman" <noone@nobody.com> wrote in message news:be93539ccf8a6f25ibh4vt6ggmtbi024mq@4ax.com... >I was given a project folder containing several dozen files. So where > is the wor...

"MS Money 2000" mit kostenlosem HBCI-Modul (HBCIFM99) kompatibel?
Hallo, Gruppe, wollte mal fragen, ob das o. g. HBCI-Modul auch mit "MS Money 2000" (also - wenn ich das richtig verstanden habe - mit der letzten deutschen Version von "MS Money" 1999/2000 aus �sterreich/der Schweiz) kompatibel ist. Vielen Dank schon im voraus f�r Eure Hilfe. Gru� Struppi Roughly translated: ------------------------- Hello, Group, I wanted to ask whether the o. g. HBCI module also with "MS Money 2000" (also - if I understood correctly that - with the last German version of "MS Money" 1999/2000 from Austria/Switzerland) is compatib...

Change File Locations to Private Drive (not Folder)
Hi, I know that I can use "File Locations" in "Options" so that whenever I use the "Open..." command in Word, it will open to a specific folder. I'm wondering if there is a way that this can be applied not to a folder but to a specific drive on a network. Our company has a main public drive and has also assigned each of the Staff their own private drive. Is there a way to access the "main page" (for lack of a better term) of my private drive each time I use "Open..." in Word? Right now it goes to "My Computer" or ...

Unexpected error message on closing an Excel file
Suddenly I am getting the following message when I try to close a workbook: "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet. Verify that the path, workbook, and range name or cell reference are correct, and try again" The mysterious thing is that it does not happen consistently and that, after I click OK after the above message, I can still save the file. What might be the cause of this error message and can the "invalid reference" be tracked down using one of the utility add-ins such as J. Walkenbach's PUP? If it only happens when you close ...

Help with income/expenses
Running 2003 in home page I setup income and expenses I prefer to see one whole month. Money some how shows it as 1/22/2006 through 2/20/2006 any way to fix this? Thanks Jeff ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- ...

printing multi page newsletters with publisher 2000
Created a new newsletter in publisher 2000, tried to print it on my Epson Photo R1800 printer which supports up to 13x19 sheet paper and 13"x***' in roll format and could not select a format to print pages 1 and 4 on one side and then 2 and 3 on the other. Downloaded an instruction sheet from Microsoft on printing "two 8.5-by11-inch pages per 11-by-17-inch sheet of paper" It says on "file" click "print", choose a printer that can print on 11x17, then click "Book Printing Option" at the bottom of the dialog box. Problem is this "Bo...

help with simple maths in excel
I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter. It is stuff like 2+2 =4 Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle... I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another = in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one. When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am doing an equation, is there a way around this? I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will do that...a sound or som...

HELP! Need to export hourly sales data on POS (NOT RMS)
How can I export hourly sales data across a date range? For instance, I want to show hourly sales for the month of October so I can graph it and post it in our break room. If I can't export hourly data, can I export daily sales? The built-in reports don't address this data format. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_008E_01C826DC.CBC512D0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=response Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Mark, This should work for you. Keep in mind it takes up to 5-10 minutes to load...

DNS Error on Exchange
I am getting the following error on my Exchange server. What is my problem? Thanks. Event Type: Warning Event Source: smtpsvc Event Category: None Event ID: 2012 Date: 1/28/2005 Time: 12:01:53 PM User: N/A Computer: PUMA Description: SMTP could not connect to the DNS server '24.220.0.11'. The protocol used was 'UDP'. It may be down or inaccessible. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: d5 04 00 00 Õ... Is that a DNS server that's configured on your Exchange box? It shoul...

Need Query Help
I have two tables, Table A & Table B, in my database that have the same fields (Name, SSN, etc). Most of the records in both tables are identical, but each table has some unique records. I would like to run a query that will select the unique records in Table A by comparing SSNs, and then do the same for Table B. I am a database novice, and have tried all the wizards and expression builders with no luck. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you!!! Scott Casa Grande, AZ Hi Scott, The "Find Unmatched Query Wizard" is what you need. If you only want to check for SSNs ...

Excel Problem
I have a 23.8 meg excel 2000 spreadsheet set for manual calculation saved to my local hard drive. Every time I try to open it, it takes forver and sometimes never opens but I do not get any error messages, let me just tell you that I am running a P4, 1 GB memory, Office 2K with SP3, and nothing else running when I try to open it. As I said it is set for manual calculation, and it is cleared to not auto calculate when opening or closing. Any idea's as to why this is happening? -- Todd I don't know why you're having this problem but I would like to point something out for w...

Help with a simple database
I am attempting to use Excel to develop a simple database for my office. The database basically lists a variety of orders purchased from various vendors, and my goal is to categorize and sort each vendor seperately. For example: GC Group 4/24/03 7831.1 $1,000.00 Alpha 1/20/03 7003.1 $2,000.00 Chandler 5/6/03 7050.1 $345.50 Is what the main chart looks like. Now, what I'm trying to accomplish is, suppose I added Tomsen 4/20/03 7873.1 $200.00 to the very bottom, Excel would automatically create a new tab (or even worksheet, if possible) tit...

opening .bak file
Hi, I hope someone can help! I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express folders. My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a few of my folders. I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were lost) out of the recycle bin. If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails. Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file? Thanks for any help! Arnie K. How did you get the bak files out of the Recycle Bin? All e...