Help, I moved mailboxes and now can open boxes using "Service account admin" rights

Hey everyone,

We are running a Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 sp1 on Win2k3 in a 
cluster.  We had ONE storage group and 4 DBs.  I have a AD group that has 
Exchange "Service account admin" rights and people in that group could open 
ANY mailbox.  I am in that group too.

Over the weekend we created a NEW storage group in Exchange and MOVED tow 
DBs from SG1 to SG2 (the new SG).  Now I can't open anyone's mailbox that is 
in the new SG.  The users are working fine.  They can connect to their 
mailboxes using Outlook 2003 just fine.  However, I am troubleshooting a 
BlackBerry issue and need access to the user's mailbox.

TIA,


Clayton 


0
none89 (807)
12/4/2006 4:56:56 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

4 Replies
556 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

Compare the permissions for the "Service Account" on the old SG to the ones 
on the new SG.

You will probably need to make the new SG perms match the old...

ALso, make sure the BES account has Send As, and Receive As rights...



"Clayton Sutton" <none@none.com> wrote in message 
news:srYch.290637$g12.47922@fe06.news.easynews.com...
> Hey everyone,
>
> We are running a Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 sp1 on Win2k3 in a 
> cluster.  We had ONE storage group and 4 DBs.  I have a AD group that has 
> Exchange "Service account admin" rights and people in that group could 
> open ANY mailbox.  I am in that group too.
>
> Over the weekend we created a NEW storage group in Exchange and MOVED tow 
> DBs from SG1 to SG2 (the new SG).  Now I can't open anyone's mailbox that 
> is in the new SG.  The users are working fine.  They can connect to their 
> mailboxes using Outlook 2003 just fine.  However, I am troubleshooting a 
> BlackBerry issue and need access to the user's mailbox.
>
> TIA,
>
>
> Clayton
> 


0
betelgeuse (144)
12/4/2006 5:04:02 PM
I also created a new "fake" user in one of the DBs in the new SG.  I could 
not open that box using "Service account" admin rights.  However, I logged 
onto my laptop as that user and set up Outlook 2003 as that user and 
everything worked just fine.

So it would seem it's just an issue of getting "Service account" access on 
that new SG and the DBs under that SG.  I checked out the following KB 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821897 and everything seems to be in place. 
Did something happen after I MOVED the DBs the the new SG?

TIA,

Clayton


******************


"Clayton Sutton" <none@none.com> wrote in message 
news:srYch.290637$g12.47922@fe06.news.easynews.com...
> Hey everyone,
>
> We are running a Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 sp1 on Win2k3 in a 
> cluster.  We had ONE storage group and 4 DBs.  I have a AD group that has 
> Exchange "Service account admin" rights and people in that group could 
> open ANY mailbox.  I am in that group too.
>
> Over the weekend we created a NEW storage group in Exchange and MOVED tow 
> DBs from SG1 to SG2 (the new SG).  Now I can't open anyone's mailbox that 
> is in the new SG.  The users are working fine.  They can connect to their 
> mailboxes using Outlook 2003 just fine.  However, I am troubleshooting a 
> BlackBerry issue and need access to the user's mailbox.
>
> TIA,
>
>
> Clayton
> 


0
none89 (807)
12/4/2006 5:10:58 PM
Hey Betelgeuse,

I checked the permissions on all the DBs and they seem to be the same. 
That's what's getting me.  It "looks" like "Service account" admin rights 
are already on those problem DBs.


TIA,


Clayton


"Clayton Sutton" <none@none.com> wrote in message 
news:srYch.290637$g12.47922@fe06.news.easynews.com...
> Hey everyone,
>
> We are running a Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 sp1 on Win2k3 in a 
> cluster.  We had ONE storage group and 4 DBs.  I have a AD group that has 
> Exchange "Service account admin" rights and people in that group could 
> open ANY mailbox.  I am in that group too.
>
> Over the weekend we created a NEW storage group in Exchange and MOVED tow 
> DBs from SG1 to SG2 (the new SG).  Now I can't open anyone's mailbox that 
> is in the new SG.  The users are working fine.  They can connect to their 
> mailboxes using Outlook 2003 just fine.  However, I am troubleshooting a 
> BlackBerry issue and need access to the user's mailbox.
>
> TIA,
>
>
> Clayton
> 


0
none89 (807)
12/4/2006 5:17:30 PM
Okay,

It looks like I have it working for now.  It seems that the "group" that I 
gave "Service accout" admin rights to is not working on the "moved" DBs for 
some reason.  Even though the group is on the security tab with "full" 
rights.

I went ahead and just added my AD account the the security tab and gave it 
"full" rights and everything started working.  If anyone has any ideas on 
how to get the group working again that would be great.  I will try (at a 
later time) to delete the group from those DBs and re-add the group and is 
if that fixes that problem.

Thanks for everyone's help.


Clayton



"Clayton Sutton" <none@none.com> wrote in message 
news:JKYch.372452$PE1.212973@fe04.news.easynews.com...
> Hey Betelgeuse,
>
> I checked the permissions on all the DBs and they seem to be the same. 
> That's what's getting me.  It "looks" like "Service account" admin rights 
> are already on those problem DBs.
>
>
> TIA,
>
>
> Clayton
>
>
> "Clayton Sutton" <none@none.com> wrote in message 
> news:srYch.290637$g12.47922@fe06.news.easynews.com...
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> We are running a Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 sp1 on Win2k3 in a 
>> cluster.  We had ONE storage group and 4 DBs.  I have a AD group that has 
>> Exchange "Service account admin" rights and people in that group could 
>> open ANY mailbox.  I am in that group too.
>>
>> Over the weekend we created a NEW storage group in Exchange and MOVED tow 
>> DBs from SG1 to SG2 (the new SG).  Now I can't open anyone's mailbox that 
>> is in the new SG.  The users are working fine.  They can connect to their 
>> mailboxes using Outlook 2003 just fine.  However, I am troubleshooting a 
>> BlackBerry issue and need access to the user's mailbox.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>>
>> Clayton
>>
>
> 


0
none89 (807)
12/4/2006 5:52:42 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Service Account Admins Reading Users Mail
We are using Exchange5.5 on a Windows2k server. Does anyone know how we could record, log, or track a service account admins activities in users mailboxes? It seems as if we have a service account admin that is reading users emails and no way to officially prove it. Many Thank You's in advance, Mebbe crank up diagnostics logging. On the Priv Info Store/Logons On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:36:01 -0700, "sal bugs" <sal bugs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are using Exchange5.5 on a Windows2k server. > >Does anyone know how we could record, log, or track a se...

change service account admin in exchange 5.5
ok so... i apparently had this win2k exchange 5.5 server in my office that was set up a long time ago. It was hiding on say domain2 which is trusted with domain1. i nuked the trust between the two, and removed all of domain2 equipment out of my server room, with the exception of one box. this box i removed it from domain2 and added to domain1. then i changed the services to fire up under a user on domain1, since they were on domain2. all services came on so i figured i was set. then one of the three users on this machine informed me they cant pop. i traced the error back to something in ...

Service Account Administrator
I have a site that deleted the service account administrator from the NT directory. They are able to keep the system up and running, but we can not install a new service account administrator. Any help would be appreciated. "charlie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a site that deleted the service account >administrator from the NT directory. They are able to >keep the system up and running, but we can not install a >new service account administrator. Any help would be >appreciated. You can do all this: http://www.swinc.com/reso...

Help, I moved mailboxes and now can open boxes using "Service account admin" rights
Hey everyone, We are running a Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 sp1 on Win2k3 in a cluster. We had ONE storage group and 4 DBs. I have a AD group that has Exchange "Service account admin" rights and people in that group could open ANY mailbox. I am in that group too. Over the weekend we created a NEW storage group in Exchange and MOVED tow DBs from SG1 to SG2 (the new SG). Now I can't open anyone's mailbox that is in the new SG. The users are working fine. They can connect to their mailboxes using Outlook 2003 just fine. However, I am troubleshooting a Bl...

change service account admin's password on exchange 2003
Hi...we have to change the exchange 2003's service account admin's password. would they cause any problem? what will be the steps in order to zero downtime? Thanks, fshguo. Exchange 2000/2003 Services use Local System Account so the only issue would be third party programs. You can go to Services Control Applet and in the Log On As Column look for the Administrator, these are the Services you will need to update with new password. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "fshguo" <fshguo@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...