Getting 550 5.7.1 'message rejected' from external senders

Hello,
I have an an Exchange Server 2003 running and all has been well until I had
a power outage. Ever since that my external users using pop3 mail clients
like Outlook Express can not send mail to anyone outside the local users
group. It acts just like the relay errors but I am allowing relays and the
error is
"An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'gfgfgf', Account: 'www.domain.com',
Server: 'www.domain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Message
rejected.', Port: 97, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
0x800CCC69". I can change the rule to not allow relaying and than the error
message will switch to the "can not relay" error. I than turned relaying
allowed back on and I am right back to the error above. They can send to
users located within the local domain.
If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Randy
0
Randy1 (152)

"Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an an Exchange Server 2003 running and all has been well until I had
>a power outage. Ever since that my external users using pop3 mail clients
>like Outlook Express can not send mail to anyone outside the local users
>group. It acts just like the relay errors but I am allowing relays and the
>error is
>"An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'gfgfgf', Account: 'www.domain.com',
>Server: 'www.domain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Message
>rejected.', Port: 97,

SMTP on port 97????

>Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
>0x800CCC69". I can change the rule to not allow relaying and than the error
>message will switch to the "can not relay" error. I than turned relaying
>allowed back on and I am right back to the error above. They can send to
>users located within the local domain.
>If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Does the same thing happen if you connect to your server from inside
your own LAN, or does it only happen whe you connect from "outside"
your LAN?

You wouldn't happen to use a PIX firewall, would you? If you do, try
turning off that MailGuard thingy. Maybe the clients aren't
authenticating because of that?

I'd also verify that the Exchange SMTP Virtual Server's
"authentication" allows for the use of "Basic authenticaton".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

I am using a Sonicwall Firewall. And I have all three authentication
protocols checked. I am truly stumped at this point

Thanks for reply

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have an an Exchange Server 2003 running and all has been well until I had
> >a power outage. Ever since that my external users using pop3 mail clients
> >like Outlook Express can not send mail to anyone outside the local users
> >group. It acts just like the relay errors but I am allowing relays and the
> >error is
> >"An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'gfgfgf', Account: 'www.domain.com',
> >Server: 'www.domain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Message
> >rejected.', Port: 97,
>
> SMTP on port 97????
>
> >Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
> >0x800CCC69". I can change the rule to not allow relaying and than the error
> >message will switch to the "can not relay" error. I than turned relaying
> >allowed back on and I am right back to the error above. They can send to
> >users located within the local domain.
> >If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.
>
> Does the same thing happen if you connect to your server from inside
> your own LAN, or does it only happen whe you connect from "outside"
> your LAN?
>
> You wouldn't happen to use a PIX firewall, would you? If you do, try
> turning off that MailGuard thingy. Maybe the clients aren't
> authenticating because of that?
>
> I'd also verify that the Exchange SMTP Virtual Server's
> "authentication" allows for the use of "Basic authenticaton".
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Randy1 (152)
7/30/2005 7:30:01 PM
The reason smtp is on 97 is because I am running Mailmarshall on port 25. It
is running as a smart host for spam filtering. I have my pop3 clients sending
directly through the Exchange server on 97 so I can block relaying with in
the smarthost for everything except the mail server.

"Randy" wrote:

> Rich,
> I can send out just fine from inside the network. And outside users can use
> OWA and send just fine. It is only users using a pop3 client that can not
> send to addresses outside the domain. They can send to local users just fine.
>
> I am using a Sonicwall Firewall. And I have all three authentication
> protocols checked. I am truly stumped at this point
>
> Thanks for reply
>
> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > "Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I have an an Exchange Server 2003 running and all has been well until I had
> > >a power outage. Ever since that my external users using pop3 mail clients
> > >like Outlook Express can not send mail to anyone outside the local users
> > >group. It acts just like the relay errors but I am allowing relays and the
> > >error is
> > >"An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'gfgfgf', Account: 'www.domain.com',
> > >Server: 'www.domain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Message
> > >rejected.', Port: 97,
> >
> > SMTP on port 97????
> >
> > >Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
> > >0x800CCC69". I can change the rule to not allow relaying and than the error
> > >message will switch to the "can not relay" error. I than turned relaying
> > >allowed back on and I am right back to the error above. They can send to
> > >users located within the local domain.
> > >If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.
> >
> > Does the same thing happen if you connect to your server from inside
> > your own LAN, or does it only happen whe you connect from "outside"
> > your LAN?
> >
> > You wouldn't happen to use a PIX firewall, would you? If you do, try
> > turning off that MailGuard thingy. Maybe the clients aren't
> > authenticating because of that?
> >
> > I'd also verify that the Exchange SMTP Virtual Server's
> > "authentication" allows for the use of "Basic authenticaton".
> >
> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> > Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com

0
Randy1 (152)
7/30/2005 7:39:12 PM
"Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can send out just fine from inside the network.

Using port 97?

If that's so, then you'll have to move your troubleshooting to the
firewall. Exchange seems to be working as expected.

>And outside users can use
>OWA and send just fine.

Well, sure . . . they aren't using SMTP to send the message. :)

>It is only users using a pop3 client that can not
>send to addresses outside the domain. They can send to local users just fine.

>I am using a Sonicwall Firewall. And I have all three authentication
>protocols checked. I am truly stumped at this point

Is that firewall acting as just a firewall, or is it also acting as a
SMTP proxy or relay?

Have you checked the SMTP protocol log on the server to see if it's
Exchange that's sending the "550 5.7.1 Message Rejected"? How about
finding the AUTH command in the log? Do you see it coming from any of
the external clients?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

message tracking shows stuck in categorizer
Messages sent to distribution lists (usually domain local, with no other nested groups) are occasionally getting stuck in the categorizer. Is there a way to view all messages in the categorizer? There is 'send to' security enabled on these groups so that only authenticated users can send to them, there don't appear to be any AD or DNS issues. Running e2k3 with a clustered backend. All messages/groups in question are 'local' to the backend cluster. ALready went through the KB b/f posting...google as well. "Kirill Palagin" wrote: > Any help from > htt...

How can I get To-do's to show up in the Today screen Task list?
Hi, I am a new Outlook user, and have recently run into a problem in that I missed doing some things I had made "To-Do" to remind me to do. Unfortunately, I assumed that the Today screen would show my active "To-Do's" but I realize it only show's "Tasks". I'm a unclear what the difference is. Is there anyway to integrate them so they both show up on the Today screen? Why are they in different folders? Thanks for your help. Ed Outlook 2007? They are on the To-do Bar... it's replacing Outlook today because few users use it. The to-do list ...

Getting value from 2 cols right, 1 row down
Hi, I guess this is a simple question but I couldn't figure out how to ge around it. Code ------------------- A B C D E F 1 Worker 100 100 100 100 2 110 110 3 Worker 120 120 120 4 130 130 13 ------------------- Sheet above is a work schedule and 100, 110, 120 and 130 are jus predefined work shifts. Row 1 is a morning shift row and Row 2 is night shift row for the first worker. Now what I want to do is to create another sheet with workers names t m...

why is it that lately my sent mail fills up with EMPTY messages?
Yesterday I had something like 296 empty messages in my sent box. No subject, no addressee but the date is there. Some have the opened envelop icon and some are closed. What is going on???? Virus, malware, spyware whatever you may call it. You do need to scan your system with MSE immediately. hth "NBgorf" <NBgorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEB6478C-AC2D-4B01-A7CA-050BF2BA75D7@microsoft.com... > Yesterday I had something like 296 empty messages in my sent box. No > subject, > no addressee but the date is there. Some have the...

auto fillin box for e-mail show deleted addresses ... how do I get rid of them?
I go to create a new e-mail (with Outlook 2007) and fill in the 'To' field with one alpha character. I see a drop down box (to speed things along) but at least one of those 'suggestions' is not valid; that particular address does not exist. It did exist at one time though. How do I flush out those helpful though inaccurate\old e-mail addresses? Thanks, DH either select it using the arrow key and press delete or delete the nk2 cache file. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20060823.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24...

9548 messages in event viewer
i have read all the posts about adding SELF to the account, etc. My problem is that the account the event log refers to is the SystemMailbox and there is no user disabled or otherwise in the AD. I can plainly see the mailbox in exchange manager but cannot do anything. This is exchange 2003 on server 2000. There are hotfixes available now to stop the store.exe from generating 9548s: Exchange 2003 SP1: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=903158 Exchange 2003 SP2: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=916783 -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson/ http://www.msexchange...

need help... Getting a error when I add a xml schema include location xsd file
Hi, I am trying to add the following line to my xml schema xsd file <xsd:include schemaLocation="../../../Common/datatypes.xsd"/> Here is my code XmlSchemaInclude include = new XmlSchemaInclude(); include.SchemaLocation = "../../../Common/datatypes.xsd"; schema.Items.Add(include); when I print out the schema, it crashes StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter(@strFormName+".xsd", false, Encoding.UTF8); schema.Write(sw); sw.Close(); Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks ...

Weird problem -- formulas get lost but their values stay in place
I have a client who uses Excel files that link out to other excel files. The formulas in the "main" file calculate from data in the linked files. So, the formula is in the main file. When they close the main file and re-open it, the formulas are gone, but the last calculated value remains. Does anyone have an idea why this would happen? Thanks, Bill One way might be because a "Before Save" or "Before Close" Macro is doing a Copy > Paste special > Values........ Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Bill" <bdotson@gmail.com> wrote in message...

cannot send email messages from Window Mail
I have email on mail2web.com and I use it from windowsmail so my problem that I can recive email messages but Icannot send Do you get an error message when you try to send? If so,=20 right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply = here. We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.=20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "Hassan" <Hassan @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:DA2310DC-3838-43A4-9701-36C4F01F6391@microsoft.com...

Exchange 5.5 ims connector
My Exchange 5.5 IMS connector queue shows messages that have <> as originator and also shows email with valid user account in this manner <user name>. My question is the emails <user name> valid emails from exchange users. ray3d84 I don't know just based on that but you could check the actual email message in \imcdata\out and pull up the appropriate message in notepad. ...

Cannot customize Outlook Today #5
I recently had to upgrade my system from 98 to XP using a full install rather than an upgrade. I had to reload all my software, of course, and now my Outlook 2000 will not allow me to customize Outlook Today. Any suggestions? The following MSKB article provides the fix for this issue. OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup t...

How can I get my text to arc in Visio?
I have a circular pie chart. I want my text in various places on the outside of the ciruclar pie chart to arc with the circle. I know how to add text boxes, but they don't arc--they are flat across the usual way (since visio doesn't support it) is to copy it from something like powerpoint. al "michobrien" <michobrien@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6593E93-8E62-4BEE-87F4-79B395F11F91@microsoft.com... >I have a circular pie chart. I want my text in various places on the >outside > of the ciruclar pie chart to arc with the circle. I k...

Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell it gets deselected
While using Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell, within 30 seconds, that particular cell gets deselected followed by the workbook. So each time I need to click either the cell or workbook to enter data in that particular sheet. There could be event code that is being fired. Does this happen if you open the workbook with macros disabled? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "towinwin" <towinwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7B87AFB-27AC-4235-9AE3-5E7A46310AF8@microsoft.com... > While using Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell, within 30 se...

Migrate Contact Address Data from CRM 1.2 to 3.0
We are upgrading from CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0. In order to migrate the existing data, we are using the CRM web services (in "../crmservice.asmx"). CRM 1.2 stores the contact data in the ContactBase table; I create a data source, create an instance of the "contact" object from the CRM web service, set each of the contact properties from the field values in the DataRows of the DataSet source, and then use the contact object's Create() method to add each contact to the CRM 3.0 database -- all of this works very well. However, CRM 1.2 stores the contact's address d...

email #5
how do i keep my telephone number, fax and address all the time when sending a email You could add it as a signature in the account in your email client. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "sugarbabby" <sugarbabby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C8832EA-F64C-4861-89AD-6782A7D82024@microsoft.com... > how do i keep my telephone number, fax and address all the time when sending > a email ...

cannot get outlook started
please help i have been trying to set up outlook and am haveing great problems when i put in my email adsress (yahoo) and try password it just keeps flashing up password and wont connect -- bex http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011133141033.aspx "becca" <becca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B9352A5-91FA-4782-98E7-D5BEAADA9582@microsoft.com... > please help i have been trying to set up outlook and am haveing great > problems when i put in my email adsress (yahoo) and try password it just > keeps flashing up password and won...

Changing Account selection after typing email message
Outlook 2007: 1. My default account is KW1. 2. I start a new email. 3. I type the text of the email. 4. Before sending, I select the Account button and change to account KW2. 5. MY ENTIRE EMAIL MESSAGE IS LOST! THE ENTIRE TEXT DISAPPEARS!! The TO and SUBJECT remain, but that's it. By changing the FROM with the Accounts button, I lose the message. 6. I lose the will to type. Please help. you are typing in the signature panel. Edit the sigs so the first line is -- (2 dashes). This will help you see where they start so you can type above the line. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]...

Find Sent Messages
Is there a way to find all messages that were sent to a certain address in Exchange 5.5? "Mark Cash" <markcash@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to find all messages that were sent to a >certain address in Exchange 5.5? If you have "message tracking" enabled, yes. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Can't get into email
I can't access windows mail - system keeps asking for user name and password but then won't accept whatever I type in. This is error message: Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR popgate argument(s) missing.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91 Think problem may have started with last Windows security update? Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers. Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentic...

File, New Message
When you send a new email message from Outlook or Word 2003, you can start typing in the TO: email address and it shows a list of addresses to choose from (ones you have typed in before). This list of previous emails typed in seems to have been completely deleted, and I am starting over from scract - each time I type in a new email, it appears in the list the next time. How did this list get deleted? How does it get restored? I don't see anywhere do to it. I do use Norton Anti Virus and LavaSoft Ad-Adward spyware, could they have removed it? I have never had this problem before...

Outlook on windows 7
How to set up recurring appointments on the toolbar - windows 7 "sdevli" <sdevli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB723333-AFED-4ADA-8666-7F7CCABC8739@microsoft.com... > How to set up recurring appointments on the toolbar - windows 7 Don't think you can. You mean in gadgets? You'll need to look for a gadget that displays appointments (or recurring appointments). There is an upcoming appointments gadget in the online gadget gallery. Note that using a gadget can force outlook open at boot and keep Outlook open if you try to close i...

Copyright message?
Hi, Is there any way of creating some form of copyright message that pop up when a user opens a particular workbook? They then have to agree t the terms to enter. Thanks, Mark -- mevett ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mevetts's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2913 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49660 Not foolproof but one way Private Sub Workbook_Open() ans = MsgBox("� MEvetts", vbOKCancel) If ans = vbCancel Then ThisWorkbook.Close savechan...

Receipient receives message in yellow
When typing an email message the text is black on the monitor but receipients always see the text as light yellow. They usually say there was nothing in the email. This happens whether Word or Outlook is the editor. How do I make the sent message show up at the other end as black. The only way to send a readable email is to hightlight the text and set the color to black although it already is black. Thank you >How do I make the sent message show up at the other end >as black. Make sure the format is "Plain text" -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Pat...

question about mailbox move from 5.5 to 2003....
have a 5.5 server running with an information store thats roughly 15gb's. we have 2003 up and running on a new server and plan to move the mailboxes and everything else over to the 2003 server today, anyone have a general idea of how long this move "should" take? and if anyone has any thoughts on this at all, please let me know. thank you. How long it takes depends on the size or data being migrated, server speed, and network speed. Is this the same organization or new organization? Thanks, Chad "jjd228@NOSPAMoptonline.net" wrote: > have a 5.5 server ...

How do i number a template so that it will increase 1,2,3 etc?
Like the date. so every time i open a new one the numbers will increase eg: 1 2 3 Dreamworks, have a look here, http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html and if you are new to macros you may also what to have a look here on getting started with macros http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Dreamworks" <Dreamworks@discussions.microsoft.com> w...