GAL Permissions

Is there a way that I can stop a group of users from seeing the top
level GAL, and restrict them to only seeing views that I have created
for them?

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Have a look at this article it outline exactly what you want to do:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Shared-Hosting-Exchange-2003-Part2.html

Regards
--
Ben Hoffman
MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)

"Paul" <paulholding5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way that I can stop a group of users from seeing the top level
> GAL, and restrict them to only seeing views that I have created for them?
>
> Paul.

0
ben.hoffman (411)
7/11/2005 3:50:21 PM
Thanks i'll have a read...

Ben Hoffman wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Have a look at this article it outline exactly what you want to do:
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Shared-Hosting-Exchange-2003-Part2.html
>
> Regards

\\Pro\(D) is not accessible. You might not have permission
\\Pro\(D) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Two PC on wireless router MSHOME workgroup. WinXP Prof. SP3 PRO and WinXP Home SP3 HOME. Both pings each other and access Internet. HOME connects to printer connected to PRO. PRO can access all the drives and files on HOME. Home can access Floppy drive (A) and CD-RW drive and DVD-RW drives and open files. PRO has got two HDD each partitioned into two. C:System, D:Data, E:Pagefiles,F:Programs. MY DOCUMENTS is moved from C to D HOME can not access any of the HDDs or files. It gets the abov...

outlook 2003 calender permissions downgraded but creates problems
User was permitted author permission to another user's calender and then down graded to reviewer. Now the user is receiving warnings they can not create item in the other calender or receives email meeting is not in other user's calender. The schedule meeting is in the other user's calender. Summation: User is able to schedule meetings but receives pop ups or email warnings. User does not have permission to the mailbox but the user can view the other user calender with no problems. ...

Send Emails With A Different Name Than How Its Listed in the GAL
Hi all, I have a quick question: My client is unhappy with how his emails get sent out from MS Outlook. The GAL on our server lists names as [Last Name], [First Name]. This is how the majority of our clients want it. However, he wants his to be [First Name] [Last Name]. So, all recipients getting emails from him will see his name as First Name, Last Name. We can't do this for him on our GAL, since it would obviously cause an inconsistency if we did it only for one name. But, I figured I'd post here to see if anything else can be done to accomodate him. Thanks in advance for your help...

Exchange 5.5 public folders not being seen in Exchange 2003 GAL
We have an issue where some of our Exchange 5.5 public folders cannot be seen in the Global Address List by the staff who are using Exchange 2003. We have tried adding permissions to the public folders for the staff who need to send to them, but that has made no difference. The folders also cannot be seen in the public folder hierarchy. Any advice appreciated. swingman100@hotmail.com (swingman) wrote: >We have an issue where some of our Exchange 5.5 public folders cannot >be seen in the Global Address List by the staff who are using Exchange >2003. We have tried adding permissio...

Users do not show up in GAL.
Hello all. I have this strange problem that users who resides in some AD OU's do not show up in the GAL in outlook. But they DO show up when i do a preview of the GAL on the Exchange Server. More info. The GAL is in the 'ShowInAddressBook' attribute. When i create a custom address list with those users in it, this works fine. The problem only exists with the GAL. We have an exchange 2000 server, fully patched in an Windows 2000 AD. Can anyone explain me this strange behaviour? Thank you very much for responding. Joeri I sometimes find that it takes a while for people to ap...

Modify GAL by users
Is there any way that we can allow users to modify their own information on the GAL in a Exchange 2003/windows 2003 environment? Thanks, Ying They can do it by going through Windows AD search capability. Start-->Search-->People ; Search for themselves, go to there properties and change it there. I believe that they have the permissions to change this info. by default. Matthew Tisdel <yhuske@immunetolerance.org> wrote in message news:40e901c47fc5$ab0d0aa0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way that we can allow users to modify their > own information on the GAL in a ...

Get external data locks csv file
I have a scenerio where I am querying a csv file off from a network drive using excel. This file is appended with information written by another computer. When I import a text file using a database query with the microsoft text driver I intermittently experience a permission denied on the computer writing to this csv file. There is no need for excel to lock the csv file qhen querying (as I am not writing to the file). I modified the DSN file to add readonly=1 which did not work. How can I resolve this issue? Thanks for your help. Dustin ...

OWA forbidden and you don't have permission to perform this action
Help! Migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 on new server. Everything seems to be working fine except for OWA. When tryijng to send mail or save calendar entries receive an error pop up that simply says: forbidden When trying to save a new contact recieve an error message pop up that says: you don't have permission to perform this action Been through several KB that had me check/set the permissions on various exchange subdirectories and within IIS. Nothing seems to fix the problems. Machine is also running GFI Mail Essentials, and Symantec Mail Security 5.0. -- Marti...

"send as" permission issue
I am trying to assign a user1 the "send as" right to a certain mailbox. In ADUC console I go into the properties of the user2's profile, under the security tab I add user1 and check "send as" and "receive as" permissions and OK out of everything. When user1 tries to send as user2 he gets this error message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 10/13/2006 12:09 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: (user's name) on 10/13/2006 12:10 PM You do not have permission...

Hide some users ONLY from Gal
Hi all, I need to hide some users only from Gal; they still remain visible in the other address list in wich they belong to. I've tried to remove the Gal from the showInAddressBook attribute, but the RUS has applied it again..... Any idea, apart the effort to create a new customize GAL, set the ACLs, .....? Fabio Ciprandi Exchange System Engineer Esselunga - Milan, Italy One way to do it is to make them members of a group - let's call it "HiddenRecipients". Then modify GAL to include: (&(your existing GAL filter)(!memberOf="HiddenRecipients")) However, I...

Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive cannot be run from a volume with read-only permission
Can anyone help with this. I am new to mac (imac G5). I am on another user trying to get entourage to run in the secondary user. It runs fine on the main user. It says to reinstall Test Drive on a volume with read and write permission. THanks. Gregory P. Moore <gpmoore@cavtel.net> wrote: > Can anyone help with this. > > I am new to mac (imac G5). I am on another user trying to get > entourage to run in the secondary user. > > It runs fine on the main user. It says to reinstall Test Drive on a > volume with read and write permission. That looks like a Pe...

Exch 5.5 SP4 Address book View Permissions
It looks like I have fallen into a trap with the Exch 5.5 SP4 update We recently decided to import a bunch of addresses from another location into our GAL and was overwhelmed (they have more folks than we do). I've never set up any Address Book Views before and everyone just sees the whole list of the GAL. With this influx of addresses, I decided I needed to set up Views to make it easier on everyone I can not set up a view. I get an error: You do not have the permissioins required to complete the operation Microsoft Exchange Director ID no: DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_R...

permissions
We are converting some of our databases over to Access2000. Others in the company are still using Access97, so, we are using the old system.mdw file to join to the workgroup. However, when using 2000 I cannot see the users or groups when looking in Security - Permissions. How can I get all of that to show up ? I cannot recreate the system.mdw for 2000 because I do not have all of the Group WID's or User PID's. The DB Admin has left the company and there is no complete record of all of this info. This was all dumped on me and I have to figure how to get this to work. PLEA...

groups in gal
When I pull up Outlook, click new email, then select the to: button it pulls up my addresses. I make sure the GAL is selected. At the top of the list is a bunch of groups, which is fine. But not all groups are listed at the top. Some are listed in alphabetical order. I have checked for differences but can't find any. Why are some groups showing up at the top of the list and others are in alphabetical order? How can I get all of them to be at the top? if you have groups that are appearing at the top of the GAL, and are not there alphabetically, it's possible that they were con...

Is it OK to assign permissions to a group during ForestPrep of an E2K3 upgrade?
Hello, We're about to start an upgrade from E2K to E2K3. During the E2K3 ForestPrep, we want to select a newly-created group to assign Exchange full admin permissions to instead of an individual user; however, during our previous E2K ForestPrep a few years ago, we only selected an individual user. Could there be any conflicts in now giving Exchange admin permissions to a new group instead of the same individual user as before? Sorry if it appears to be a silly question but I'm paranoid. Thanks, - Alan. On 27 Oct 2006 05:35:52 -0700, "Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wro...

Great Plains security should allow me to create permissions profi.
I'd like to be able to create permissions templates for performing specific tasks that could be assigned to users. For example, a template for allowing a user to run G/L inquiries and another that will allow payables transaction entry. Then I would assign both of these profiles to John Smith for Company 'A'. Because we like our users to be cross-trained, it is difficult to manage security without creating broad access classes, resulting in users that may have access to areas that we would prefer to lock down. Hi Warren, We have developed a solution that I think will meet y...

1 Newbie How To Question on the GAL
I hope someone can give me some guidance on how to setup two exchange servers. I have Two Seperate AD 2003 Domains located in Two different areas... lets say one in Las Vegas and another in Miami. Two different Companies, Two seperate AD domains Both Companies want to keep seperate (no trust) However Management wants to have One Global Address List to see all People from both companies. How can I setup this senerio when one company adds a new user account / mail box this account shows up in the GAL list at the other company? Thanks Tim: If you don't have a very big GAL, t...

NTFS Permissions
Hello, Anybodu know what is the default ntfs permissions for the M (exchange) directory and the sub folders. Thank you. i don't know...but i wouldn't screw with them if i were you (personal experience) "iraz" <iraz@medic4all.com> wrote in message news:79dc2a48.0408112318.3bda03b@posting.google.com... > Hello, > Anybodu know what is the default ntfs permissions for the M (exchange) > directory and the sub folders. > > Thank you. ...

sharing the gal
If you create a forest trust between two AD 2003 forests both running exchange 2k3 can you syncronize the GAL's? You have to use the Identity Integration Feature Pack or MIIS. Nue "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E73AE20-ECB8-4035-BFA4-0C3984F1FE77@microsoft.com... > If you create a forest trust between two AD 2003 forests both running > exchange 2k3 can you syncronize the GAL's? > > > ...

How to change name of distribution lists in GAL
Does anyone know how I can change the name of various distribution lists that appear in the GAL but not in the System Manager's list of distribution groups? Mentioning Exchange versions helps - 5.0/5.5 or 2003/2000? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Charles Kevin Gann" <charleskg@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eitwtd5HHHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how I can change the name of various distribution lists > that appear in the G...

permission to execute workflow
I have a user who wants to run a manual rule on a Lead. He has the Process & Process Instance set to Read: BU level. He also has all permissions for BU level on Lead, Activity, Account & Contact - yet CRM still says he can't run this rule. The rule is simple - if there is no phone number in the Lead, send this email. What am I missing? I have spent all day testing permissions and can't seem to uncover it. Thanks in advance! Melissa is the person who created the rule in this users business unit? Who created the original rule? ============================== John...

Cache enable GAL problem
when the cache setting is enable on exchange, users cannot access the updated global access list.. we are using Exchange 2003, Office 2003 Pro, and Windows 2003 server. thanks Any error messages on the Exchange server event viewer? "wern" wrote: > when the cache setting is enable on exchange, users cannot access the updated > global access list.. we are using Exchange 2003, Office 2003 Pro, and > Windows 2003 server. thanks ...

Simple question about send permissions
I have a user with multiple email addresses. The primary email address on this account does not match the domain the user is logged into ex. me@someotherdomain.com. But that works fine. All out going mail for that user has that other email address in the from field when it gets to it's intended recipients. Now if that user tries to send an email specifying a different email address in the from field he gets the following error in a returned email: "You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator." The address he ...

Previewing GAL Crashes System Manager
Hi, I have a strange problem, whenever I click properties on the default global address list, then click preview, system manager crashes. I've even installed system manager on a workstation and tried, and it does the same thing. I'm running Exchange 2003 Standard, Sp1, on Windows 2003 SP1. The workstation is running XP Pro SP2 with the same result! Any help would be much appreciated Ben ...

permissions errors
I am receiving "Unable to save file due to permissions error" message when attemtping to save files to my flash drive. As a aresult, I am unable to save any documents to that drive. Save to the hard drive and copy to the flash drive. You will find a macro to facilitate that at http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><...