GAL names vs. Display Names

details:
windows 2003
exchange 2003

windows xp
outlook 2007

Is it possible to have the global address list sorted as "lastname,
firstname" but still have outgoing emails shown as coming from
"firstname lastname <email@address.com>"?

I have found info on using ADSI to change the display names, but that
changes what the outgoing display is set as

0
csawatsky (3)

On 20 Nov 2006 09:43:40 -0800, csawatsky@steinbach.ca wrote:

>details:
>windows 2003
>exchange 2003
>
>windows xp
>outlook 2007
>

>Is it possible to have the global address list sorted as "lastname,
>firstname" but still have outgoing emails shown as coming from
>"firstname lastname <email@address.com>"?
>

>I have found info on using ADSI to change the display names, but that
>changes what the outgoing display is set as

The display name is the gal name.

0
mark7219 (5666)
11/20/2006 6:07:23 PM
Mark Arnold [MVP] wrote:
> The display name is the gal name.

so there's no separating them then?

I'd like my GAL to be lastname, firstname but I like my outgoing emails
to show as coming from firstname lastname

thanks for the reply

0
csawatsky (3)
11/20/2006 7:01:36 PM
Try populating the "Simple Display Name".  I've seen it posted herein that
this attribute can be used for what you want, but I haven't verified it
myself and I haven't been able to find documentation of that.  Please let us
know if it works.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

<csawatsky@steinbach.ca> wrote in message

> Mark Arnold [MVP] wrote:
>> The display name is the gal name.
>
> so there's no separating them then?
>
> I'd like my GAL to be lastname, firstname but I like my outgoing emails
> to show as coming from firstname lastname
>
> thanks for the reply

0
curspice6401 (3487)
11/20/2006 9:46:42 PM
I did see some information about "simple display name" but my
understanding is that it is only used if the display name uses
characters that cannot be displayed in whatever application is calling
it. I tried it but did not get it to work. Didn't try very hard though,
due to the information I'd read about it only using it in the case of
exception

Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> Try populating the "Simple Display Name".  I've seen it posted herein that
> this attribute can be used for what you want, but I haven't verified it
> myself and I haven't been able to find documentation of that.  Please let us
> know if it works.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange

csawatsky (3)

Invalid Object Name
I've searched and searched and can not find out how what's wrong with this query or table. Perhaps this should be posted to a SQL forum but I'm not sure. Someone has a database that worked a few days ago and he is now getting an error message: 'Could not execute query; could not find linked table. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'dbo.Partxxx'. (#208). I know that the employee's security is correct, and when checking the ODBC a 'test successful' message is received. I'm at a loss. I finally did an Access database ...

Outlook vs. Outlook Express
Although I have installed and use Outlook to send and receive mail, whenever I try to send mail using a web- pages "send e-mail" button, Outlook Express launches instead. I have set Outlook as my default mail program, but this still doesn't prevent Outlook Express from launching instead. Any solutions to this problem? ...

hiding the to: list of names
How can I hide the list of receipients receiving an e- mail I'm sending out? ...

display the text in dc having width factor
I need to display the text having width factor ranges from 0.5 to 8.5. For that i used to get devicecaps and textmetrics of current dc. After that i calculate current width for the font. it's working properly for the textmetrics width factor is greater. And it's not working properly for smaller. it has some approximation problem, how to cure these problem ...

Account Overview report does not display subaccounts
Hi all, I don't know if I am missing something here but it seems the Account Overview report does not display subaccounts, even after I modify the include/exclude drop down and refresh the report (or click on View Report). I would like to display a hierarchy of subaccounts for the selected parent account. I thought that the Account Overview report was intended to do that! Thanks, Mohamed ...

Letter Writing Assistance
Include in the "Add Vendor Fields" list the vendor check name. Several occasions occur where the vendor check name is the more appropriate choice than the vendor name. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions...

"Internet Mail Only" vs "Corporate-Workgroups".
Hi , I want to check programmatically in outlook 2000 that I am in "Internet Mail Only" or in "Corporate-Workgroups". Can any one have idea that in registry where I can get these setting information. Thanks in advance Dear, Go to control panel, mail icon, - there you can see whether Internet mail or Corp/workgroup. -- (Please respond to this question Was this post helpful to you?) Hope this helps you more Regards APK "Ashutosh Choubey" wrote: > Hi , > > I want to check programmatically in outlook 2000 that I am in "Internet > M...

Combo Box not displaying first value
I am using Access 2003 SP3 I created a Combo Box with two columns. The first column is bound to the field ID. It is a Yes/No field with a default "Yes". The second column is displayed on the form. Here are my property settings that I think may relate to my problem Name ApprovedCombo Control Source ID Row source 1;" APPROVED";0;"NOT APPROVED" Column Count 2 Column width 0";1.55" Bound Column 1 Limit to List Yes Auto Expand Yes Default Value 1 When I first open up the form, the default value shown in the ApprovedCombo box is correctly d...

Can I print an address list to verify names in list w/o printing labels?
I want to verify my list of 500+ addresses. I want to check duplicates and see who is missing. I would like to print a LAST NAME only list without having to print them in a label format. Is there a way to print a list on an 8 1/2 x 11? TIA ...

Month display to show in the Inbox
Do you know of a way to diplay the month at the top right of the screen while in the Inbox? Thanks Outlook version? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. "DC" <dcspins4u@att.net> wrote in message news:084601c3c324$f1ba4020$a401280a@phx.gbl... | Do you know of a way to diplay the month at the top right | of the screen while in the Inbox? Thanks 2002 >-----Original Message----- >Outlook version? > >-- >Milly St...

Changing Field Names #2
Hi All, Is there a way to change the existing Dynamics GP field names (not User-Defined). eg: From menu, go to Cards -> Inventory -> Item trying to change the field called "List Price" to read "Average Price" We have used up all the available user-defined fields in "Options". Any help, ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Do you have the Modifier module registered? You can edit the string resource itself and change it to Average Price. This will change all occurences of that string through the entire application. Or you can modify the ...

"More Columns" with Address Book & GAL
I am not having the ability to search the GAL by anything other than Name when using "More Columns" (Outlook 2007). Our GAL contains several populated columns ie phone, title etc. but it is not giving me any results when searching anything other than Name. Is this something that must be configured in Exchange? Any help or info would be much appreciated! Thanks Update: I've just discovered that some of our 2007 clients work fine, providing results when searching phone numbers, while others do not. I'm not sure what the difference is, will reply back if I find ...

Text Display Erros After Power Outage
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Email Client: Exchange We had a power failure in the office and ever since then all my fonts in Entourage are garbled. New emails are readable until opened and then they default to the garbled fonts. Do I need to reinstall the software? ...

Duplicate Range names
Suppose I have Sheet1 containing a named range, "Something". If I copy to a new sheet (Edit | Move or Copy Sheet), the new sheet also contains "Something", and I can reference either one (Sheet1.Something or Sheet2.Something). So far so good. Now, I need to programmatically create multiple sheets, each of which contains "Something". How would I define Something on each sheet? TIA, Jim With Worksheets("sheetname") .Range("A1:A10").Name = "'" & .Name & "'!Something" End With -- HTH Bob (the...

Excel 97 problem with naming workbooks
Lately "save as" only records the initial letter of a proposed workboook file name. Any idea where to find the problem? Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode. There was a post that said: When I disabled compatibility mode the file name problem went away. http://google.com/groups?threadm=020101c30916%2442320250%24a501280a%40phx.gbl And maybe this will help: HOW TO: Use Windows Program Compatibility Mode in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;292533 David K wrote: > > Lately "save as" only records the ini...

Internal links in Word vs. in a pdf
I'm working on a document that has a lot of internal links (mostly from a table of contents to the heading in question). When I look at the file in Word 2007, the links work perfectly and go to the exact correct spot. When I convert the file to a pdf, however, the links don't work quite right anymore--they still exist and send you to a new page, but rather than sending you to the exact heading, they take you to the top of the page that the heading is on. If the heading is at the bottom of the page, you can't see it without scrolling down a little, and I'm afraid o...

Sort Order vs Comparison Order
I have a list on an Excel spreadsheet which I have sorted. Among other entries, the list has "Con" and "CWC". When I sort, it places "Con" before "CWC". In VB, I am comparing the fields in the sorted list. In the VB comparison statement, it sees "CWC" as being less than "Con" (presumably because the Hex value for the "o" is greater than the Hex value for the "W"). Is this correct? And is there any way to make the two look at the data in the same way? I can't reproduce your problem. Can you post th...

Access 2007 jpeg display problem
Hi All I am using the common dialog routine to insert a pathway to a jpeg To display on a form that worked perfectly well in Access 2000. Now using the same setup everything works as before until the last moment When Access 2007 gives the message "Graphic Filters Not Installed" and the image does not display. I have installed the Graphic Filters from the MS Office 2007 disc..but I still get the same message. Anyone got any ideas? BTW is there any way to check if the Graphic Filters have really been installed. Thanks in a advance ...

Workflow not displaying details -showing empty screen
I had a workflow running in production and everything was fine. I imported some changes (not workflow changes) and went to go check on my workflow, it was listed in the manager and when I open it a blank workflow screen displays when I would expect to see the workflow details. Here is what I have tried: 1. trigger the workflow anyway - it fires and completes fine, so it must be there 2. backed out my changes - both xml and db - still have the problem 3. did a IIS reset - didn't change things Any ideas as to what would cause the workflow to be fine but just not display the details in ...

Long File Names in Office.X
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3156168936_2862024 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit My OS X system supports long file names just fine, but when I open these files in Office they get truncated to something with a code at the end, such as #4587. I researched this and there is logic to the code (according to Microsoft), but it is a real pain when I am sharing files with Windows users and their systems support these long file na...

How to change the user name that is displayed in the start name
It shows up as trjbaile, I'd like to display Trevor Bailey. (ref to figure b in this link and replace Steve with trbaile :-) http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1046751.html On 3/10/2010 4:16 PM, trev-b wrote: > > It shows up as trjbaile, I'd like to display Trevor Bailey. > > (ref to figure b in this link and replace Steve with trbaile :-) > > http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1046751.html Control Panel > User Accounts, click on your user name and then "Change My Name." ...

How to find all formulas that used a certain named range
Any idea how one can find all the formulas in a workbook that use a certain named range. In my case I have forgotten why I created a certain named range and would like to know what will be affected if I delete it. Thanks Laurence You could try Edit | Find | "RangeName" in formulas. Rgds, ScottO "Laurence Lombard" <lombardm@mweb.co.za> wrote in message news:4ZednSu0Gv5VUcDenZ2dnUVZ_s-dnZ2d@is.co.za... | Any idea how one can find all the formulas in a workbook that use a certain | named range. | | In my case I have forgotten why I created a certain named range and...

Cached Mode disables addressing emails with First Last name format
In Outlook 2003 (just upgraded) using Cached Mode, I notice that I can no longer address emails with a simple, normal name (e.g., "john doe"), even though that name exists in the Global Address List. (Previous Outlook versions allowed this when synching to an offline folder was enabled.) Now when I attempt to address an email with the "FirstName LastName" format in the To box, I get a dialog stating that "Microsoft Office Outlook does not recognize "john doe" " . This only happens when Cached Mode is enabled. Am I faced with a choice here: I...

How Do I change the User name field
Running WinXp SP2 with Office 2000 I have 100+ PCs that I need to change the Username field so that when the user gets 'File is locked' message, I know who originally opened the file. I know this can be manually done by going Tools - Options - General. But with 100+ PCs I would prefer to able to this either by Group policy or a script?? Does anyone have any ideas. ...

How do I display a jpeg or bitmap in a dialog box
I need to be able to display for read only a jeg or bitmap in a dialog box. I know how to load one, the question is what control would I use for this? You can use GDI+. Inserting a CStatic in the dialog and using GDI+ on it would do it. If you want to use MFC, this shows how to do it in a dialog or any other window: http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/c/default.aspx -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "William Gower" <w_gower@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#hIMQwShDHA.3272@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I need to be able to display for read only a...