Front-end exchange server

I currently have a client that has exchange 2000 on SBS 2000. We're adding a
FE server for OWA. When I add the FE server will all outbound and inbound
email be routed through the FE server or will I still need to have port 25 on
the SBS server open to the internet? I've been reading the docs on FE servers
and can't seem to find the answer to this question.
0
Barr (3)

It can be either or.  The FE server can act as an SMTP gateway if you want
it to.  As far as configuration, I don't know if you will be able to specify
that all outbound mail go through the FE server.  If you have the ability to
add a routing group, then you can configure the FE server as the routing
group master.  Otherwise, the Exchange server that is part of SBS would
simply send mail normally, using DNS to lookup the remote domain
information.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Kevin Barr" <Kevin Barr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I currently have a client that has exchange 2000 on SBS 2000. We're adding
> FE server for OWA. When I add the FE server will all outbound and inbound
> email be routed through the FE server or will I still need to have port 25
> on
> the SBS server open to the internet? I've been reading the docs on FE
> servers
> and can't seem to find the answer to this question.

0
Ben

Exchange Front End
To configure the best security would i load up iis and under the security tab what security authentication types should i select in addtion what should i select on the backend as well? Thanks. On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 02:55:21 -0500, "Gabe Matteson" <gmatteson@inquery.biz.nospam> wrote: >To configure the best security would i load up iis and under the security >tab what security authentication types should i select in addtion what >should i select on the backend as well? Thanks. > Best security for you would be SSL. So on the default web site you install the ce...

Exchange in recovery mode
When my users long in through outlook to Exchange 2k3 we all get a box telling us Exchange is in recovery mode. I can click the connect button and everything works fine but how do i make this go away? Can anyone help? Thanks <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:92cc01c4789c$2d924b10 $a601280a@phx.gbl: > When my users long in through outlook to Exchange 2k3 we > all get a box telling us Exchange is in recovery mode. I > can click the connect button and everything works fine but > how do i make this go away? Can anyone help? > > Thanks The me...

Exchange Errors #2
Event ID 8331 MSExchangeAL Address List Sychronization The service threw an unexpected exception which was caught at f:\titanium\dsa\src\lra\abv_dg\lservagent.cpp(4511) My Application log is full of these errors 700 plus a day. Microsoft Web info says install SP1 for Exchange 2003 to fix. Been there done that--no bueno. Still have full event logs. Any suggestions--- help Please. That issue is supposed to be resolved by the SP1 update. I did find another case here where the problem was related to a failed registration of an object during install. A re-install of exchange resolved...

Unable to view remote Exchange Server from ESM
I have several Exchange servers worldwide and all are up and running without issue, however when I attempt to view our Exchange servers in one of our remote sites, I am unable to and I receive the following message: The action could not be completed because the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is unavailable. Be sure the service is running and you have network connectivity to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer. Operation: Retrieving mount information ID no: c1041721 Exchange System Manager This is strange since I can ping the server. I am able to Remote into this server...

Outlook 2003 and Exchange #2
Hello All, Everytime I check my mail on my pop3 server I get the following error message, Receiving reported error (0x80042108) outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (pop3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message ... I have exchange server 2003 installed on this machine as well. ...

Exchange 2007 behind NAT/RPC over HTTP
Hi, I have an Exchange 2007 server behind a NAT router. I want to configure RPC over HTTP (Outlook anywhere) on it. HTTP/HTTPS is working on it as expected (the NAT router forwards ports 443 and 80 to Exchange's internal IP address). I have enabled Outlook Anywhere in the Exch. management console, specified external hostname and clicked the "Basic Auhtentication" checkbox (from what I understand that's required in order to make it work over SSL) - the SSL offloading is not enabled. I'm trying to configure Outlook 2003 to connect to it but I haven't been...

Front-end server and Exch. 5.5
We're in the process of upgrading our Exchange infrastructure from Exchange 5.5 to Exch. 2003. I've been able to get an Exchange 2003 server setup as a front-end server; users can log on to two of my 2003 servers with no problems. However, I do have an Exchange 5.5 server with some mailboxes and those users can't access their mailboxes by using the Exchange 2003 front-end server. They get the following error message: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable. I've looked at KB article 823159 and I've carefully followed, and confirmed, those steps with no help. Is this error...

restoring exchange 2000 SBS stores to a differnt exchange box...
We are looking at dumping our SBS 2000 box and would like to set up a different win2K box with just the std version of exchange 2000 until such time as we can afford to upgrade to the newest version of exchange. I need to get this up and running asap.Can I setup my new win2k server, running the regular version of exchange 2000 and then once setup restore my sbs exchange 2000 information stores to this new box running the regular version of exchange 2000?? Are the information stores in the sbs 2000 version of exchange the same as the std version of exchange 2000 or will I run ...

How to end a project
Can anyone please tell me how I can close off a project so that the files do not continue to be added to a project? I use colour labels on my files for all sorts of identification purposes. Now I find that green coloured files are being associated with and listed for the proejct that I had long finsihed and put away, just because I had chosen a green colour scheme for that project in the first place. The files are not relevant to that project. They are got there because they happened to be labelled green too! May Hi May, I don't really know why it isn't possible to mark a project a...

Exchange 2003 and High RPC Latency
We have 3 exchange 2003 mailbox servers. Exch1 and Exch2 hold the bulk of our mailboxes (about 3500). These servers are Exchange 2003Std/SP2 with Windows 2003 Enterp/SP2 with 4gb RAM. The logs and databases are on separate SAN LUNs. These servers also have BES agent and Enterprise Vault on them. I mention them because they interface with the mailboxes. We have historically been experiencing continual RPC latency when our users (using Outlook 2007/SP2) try to access mailbox resources like other user calendars. Any ideas where to look? I'm new to Exchg troubleshootin...

Exchange tabs missing.
I have a mixed enviornment of exchange 5.5 and 2003. I have abot 30 users who have exchange tabs missing in ADCU. While other users I can see the tabs. Missing tabs are:- Email address | exchnage feature | Exchange advanced I am not sure what the problem is. Has anybody had any issues like this one. If so how can I get the exchnage tabs for these users. These users have mailboxes in exchange 5.5. Thanks, I also would like to add that. All these 30 users have mailboxes in Exchange 5.5. When I right click any of these users in ADCU and click exchange tasks it asks to create a new mail...

How do I reissue a KMS certificate to a user in Exchange
Hi All, I need to know how to reissue a key management service (KMS) certificate to a user.How do we go about this please. Thanks . -- Buchi ...

Outlook 2003 problem with Cached Exchange Server Mode
Outlook 2003/Conjunction with Exchange 2003 has something called Cached Exchange Mode. If user uncheck this box then the local copy of the mailbox will not be created. I have lots of Shared mailboxes in our call center and users do create Cached copy of these mailboxes by accident. I want to remove this behavior so users can not create Cached Exchange Mode. We use separate profile for every mailboxes. How can I remove this default out of the box behavior check box so users, when creating profiles does not have to uncheck or check the box and no cached Exchange Mode/local copy will be cr...

Home Server Attribute: msExchHomeServerName
This is very odd, I have migrated over a 1000 users to Exchange 2003 but still have a few hundred to go on my legacy Exchange 5.5 systems. Everything works well, but there is something wrong that I can't figure out. When I create a new user account & mailbox via Active Directory Users & Computers (mailbox on the Exchange 2003 system, NT account in AD), the new AD object gets replicated to the Directory Service on the Exchange 5.5 systems..however, the Home Server attribute is set to None and at that point, none of my Exchange 5.5 users can email them. The fix is simple, ...

email set-up: what do i put in incoming & outgoing server fields?
Im trying to set-up my outlook to recieve my emails. I would like to know what to enter in the fields(incoming server and outgoing server) if im using yahoo and or msn as my isp. Also, what type of isp's are these pop or imap? For an overview of the account settings for those ISPs see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/accountsettings.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- ...

Project Server 2007
I have a clean install of PS2007 - SP2 on WSS in a small farm environment - DB server on another box. My installation "mostly" works, however, I am receiving an "unknown error" message when I try to edit the RBS. The item gets checked out and the "unknown error" message appears on the top of the page with only the Cancel button available. I've checked the logs and don't see anything obvious, the event logs on both machines aren't showing anything and I'm fairly stumped. Any insight, ideas, things to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in adv...

setting up Vista-microsoft mail-getting POP3 server error message
What am I doing wrong? Trying to set up my MSN-Vista-Microsoft e-mail. Get an error message about the POP3 server. I give my incoming and outgoing mail server as POP3 and service provider TWC or Time Warner Cable and the error message comes up. What should I do? Can you help me? On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:27:09 -0700, "asilocreo" <asilocreo@microsoft.com> wrote: >What am I doing wrong? >Trying to set up my MSN-Vista-Microsoft e-mail. Get an error message about >the POP3 server. I give my incoming and outgoing mail server as POP3 and >service provider TWC or Ti...

List of SNMP MIBs for Exchange
Does anyone know if there is a list of SNMP MIBs available for Exchange 2003 anywhere? I'd like to get some basic statics via SNMP. On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:17:40 -0500, Irwin Fletcher <noffletchspam@nogmailspam.com> wrote: >Does anyone know if there is a list of SNMP MIBs available for Exchange >2003 anywhere? I'd like to get some basic statics via SNMP. I think you should be looking at WMI instead. ...

Exchange 2003 and a DNS error.
Just migrated from 5.5 to 2003. Using 2000 AD and 2000 DNS. Everything seems to work but I am getting the following Netlogon message in the System Log. Deleted the MX record as noted in one of the KB articles but the error is still being logged. Any ideas? Registration of the DNS record '1e66922d-6db9-450b-92c9-7709b9d24cfe._msdcs.domain.com. 600 IN CNAME mailserver.domain.com.' failed with the following error: DNS RR set that ought to exist, does not exist. ds Can you reference the Event ID of the error as well as the KB article? If I had to guess, sounds like event ...

Allowing Vendor to Place SQL Server Instance w/o giving customer a
We have a vertical market vendor who we bought a program requesting to place a separate SQL Server instance on our server without giving us admin rights. I understand that they want to protect their schema and want to keep us from writing to the DB, but I feel very uncomfortable with this. What would you do? Thanks. Eds Ask, what if the their queries will cause perfromance degradation and it will affect your production.... what would you do? At our company we dictate to vendor on what server to set up their program and they given very limited login to operate only with t...

End of OnSize event
Hi, I have a resizable dialog with a list control on it. I need to do refresh the list control, but I want to do it only once (after the size operation is finished). Is there an event when resize operation is finished? Yoav. >I have a resizable dialog with a list control on it. >I need to do refresh the list control, but I want to do it only once (after >the size operation is finished). >Is there an event when resize operation is finished? Yoav, Have a look at WM_EXITSIZEMOVE. Dave ON_MESSAGE(WM_EXITSIZEMOVE, ...) I'm not sure WM_EXITSIZEMOVE is supported in VS.NET ...

1:4 ratio GC proces to Exchange 2003 procs
I have a question about the ratio of GC processors to Exchange processors as outlined in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875427/en-us. Do you include the passive excahnge nodes in the equation? No since it's not actively talking to the GC so it's not using resources. The ratio does not really account for anything else that may be utilizing resources on your GC such as SPAM apps, directory synchs, or anthing else you may have as well. James Chong randomuser wrote: > I have a question about the ratio of GC processors to Exchange > processors as outlined in http://support.micros...

Help with counting values that have different endings
Hi guys, i just joined SQLMONSTER and was wondering if you guys can help me with this problem... I have 10 columns and 8,000,000 rows which have stock ticker names and exchange tickers-like the following: [Column A] AQR.L GDY.LS NBAE.LS (blank) 0023CA.S FOR.L AQR.KZ ... ... How do I find the number of unique ticker names in my database and disregard the .L, .LS, .S, .L, .KZ endings (because I am looking for the unique tickers, not the exchange). I.E., I want the values counted to be only AQR, GDY, NBAE, 0023CA, FOR or 5 values (I don't want AQR to be counted twice becau...

Cleanup after migration to Exchange 2003 part 2
Hi I've finished migrating from an Exchange 5.5 org with 4 sites to an Exchange 2003 org that also has the 4 sites as AGs. I have also switched to native mode. Followed the instructions to the letter as specified in the deployment wizard tool and also the deployment guide. Are there any docs on how to collapse the old AGs into one and move all the servers into the one AG, or can this be done. There are also routing groups in all 4 AGs. Thanks RajiA Unfortuantely, you can not move servers between administrative groups - even in native mode. You can however move mailboxes, so you cou...

External users will use only smtp/pop3 connection to Exchange Serv
External users will use only smtp/pop3 connection to Exchange Server. I dont won't create AD users with mailboxes. Are there any other ways to resolve this problem? On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 22:44:01 -0800, "Slava" <Slava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >External users will use only smtp/pop3 connection to Exchange Server. Fine, that's perfectly OK. > >I dont won't create AD users with mailboxes. Oh yes you will. No AD account = No Mailbox. No Mailbox = No access to the server. > >Are there any other ways to resolve this problem? What problem? ...