Front End Exchange 2003 OWA for a Back end 2000

Hey everybody,

At the minute we're in the process of upgrading our 30 odd servers to
Windows Server 2003.
The Domain Controllers are still running Windows 2000.
My question is :
Can I install an Exchange 2003 OWA on a Windows Server 2003 to connect to an
Exchange 2000 Server in a Windows 2000 Domain (Native Mode)

Do I have to upgrade the whole domain first ?

What about notions of Front End / Back End ?

We would like to do this to benefit from the new OWA (As it's sooooo cool
:))

Thanks for your replies,

Mike

0
internet (2)

You can use an E2K3 FE to connecto to an E2K BE, but you
only get OWA 2K.
They say to upgrade the FEs first, but I'd suggest you
install new FEs with E2K3 and then decomission your old
FEs. This is purely financial since you needed E2K
Enterprise for an FE but only need E2K3 Standard for an
FE. You'd be wasting licence cash by upgrading. You can
then use your E2K Enterprise licence to use somewhere
else (either as-is or by a cheaper upgrade to E2K3 Ent)

0
mark7219 (5666)

Maintenance on Exchange
Hello all, I have been looking over the threads here and did not see any real input on this subject, performing maintenance, defrag the database, on Exchange 5.5 and 2K. I am also running through TechNet and find all kinds of articles on how to do defrag and compact the databases but nothing that offers any insight into doing this after so many transactions(e-mails sent and received either internal or external), or over a period of time. I am also finding the same thing on backups. All kinds of articles on how to do it but nothing that says here a recomended way. I guess someone ...

Exchange server unreachable after being moved
Hello, people. I hope you could help me with this issue. We have two Exchange 2003 servers (A and B) in our organization. The server A is the main server and as it was needed, server B was added in the same Administrative group in the same site. But the last server (B) was ment to inhabit in another country, so this server was sent to my coutry. Now they both keep a constant communication via VPN. The problem is that since de the server is here, only internal message can be delivered (among mailboxes in this server) but not messages between servers (I mean, a message sent from a mail...

Exchange 2003 SP2 Q
Dear all, I have a few fundamental questions. 1) Can Antivirus software for Exchange Server that uses AVAPI Version 2 corrupt the store database? 2) Is it possible for MAPI client like outlook 2002 and 2003 corrupt the store database? 3) Can third party backup software corrupt the store during backup? Thanks. Regards, Kueh. 1. I've never seen this happen, though I wouldn't say it is impossible. 2. Same as 1. 3. I've never seen the backup software itself corrupt a mailbox store. Usually, backup software is one of the mechanisms to let you know that there is corruption...

Store.exe crashing on 2 Exchange 2003 servers
We have 2 Exchange 2003 SP1 servers (Win 2K SP4) which have developed a problem with the store crashing every half hour or so. System event log: The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action. Application event log Faulting application store.exe, version 6.5.7226.3, stamp 407db771, faulting module storevs2.dll, version 7.1.367.0, stamp 40746ce5, debug? 0, fault address 0x00002238. I think it is interesting that both servers are crashing, but not at exact...

Validation Confusion-Excel 2003
On a timesheet I need to ensure that when I enter in the times of a the DAY shift that it is on or after 6:00 am. The finish time is not important as the start time dictates the shift. For example, someone may start at 7:30 and work thro to 3:30 (or 15:50), this equals a day shift. I may have someone else who starts at 6:00 am and finishes at 10:00 am, this also equals a day shift. I also need an AFTERNOON shift that starts at 12:00 (Noon). I believe if I have the answer to the day, this will come easy to me (that is if the Noon time doesn't become a hinderance??) I also need ...

Exchange (unofficial) service pack 5
During 2003 in an effort to correct an Information Store Hung Thread, while stopping the service, in Exchange Server 5.5, I was provided, by Microsoft, a partially developed Exchange SP5. As I indicated the official Exchange SP5 was never released. I am trying to help a coworker who is restoring old data from Exchange 5.5 back-up tapes. He needs to install the appropriate Service Pack for the restore to work, and I am trying to locate the unofficial Exchange SP5 to help him. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >During 2003 in...

Exchange e-mail address attributes?
Hi! :-) I'm writing a script to find all a users e-mail addresses (to get rid of old sub domains) but I'm not sure I'm looking in all the available attributes... A list of these would be perfect! I'm also interested in updated lists of ad and exchange attributes. I've got some xls files but they're old and only have text descriptions of very few of the attributes. Thanks a million!!! :-) /Sofia The main mail attributes for exchange are mail targetaddress proxyaddresses If you don't actually need a script, but just need a list of smtp addresses try this ...

Return back to GP 9 from GP 10
I just upgrade to gp 10 in one of the work stations and I get some troubles so I retrieved to Gp 9 and I get this message (You are using an earlier version of dynamics.dic than the one that’s currently installed on the network) What I have to do? can I make restore for database? ...

OWA 2003 Log Off Button gives HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
When Logging off of 2003 OWA I get a page cannot be displayed error message. Everything else seems to be working fine. There's a KB about this. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Warren" <Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97769784-4AA2-4445-A0AA-86E0581681A1@microsoft.com... > When Logging off of 2003 OWA I get a page cannot be displayed error > message. > Everything else seems to be working fine. Ed, I did a search in the Knowledge Base and found nothing!!!! Help! Warren ...

Port 25 telnet on Exchange 2K3 servers
Hi, Installed 3 new Exchange 2K3 SP2 for a client the other day, but unable to telnet to port 25, even on the servers them selves... the servers are 2 Enterprise & 1 standard 2K3 SP2, they also have Mcafee Antivirus ( file level with Exchange folder exclusion ) and Mcafee GroupShield on them... Curiously all email functions are ok, able to send and receive internally and to Internet, just not able to telnet to port 25 on any servers... If I add another port to the SMTP VS, then able to telnet that port, but not 25, so I think one of the Anti-virus programs is stopping port 25... ...

Publisher 2000 to Publisher 2003
I have been using Publisher 2000 and working fine. I have a webpage and just Save as Webpage and then upload to my server. Now that I have XP and Publisher 2003 I don't see the Save as Webpage, only Publish to Web. Have tried this and it doesn't open after it has been uploaded the way it did before and it takes longer to upload than 2000 did. Probably doing something wrong and just wanted to see if someone else has had this problem or what I'm doing wrong. Have a good day. Jim Jim wrote: > I have been using Publisher 2000 and working fine. I have a webpage > a...

Exchange Server 2007 Public Folders Permission issue
We have a consultants folder with over a hundred sub folders. Is there any way to propagate the permissions down to all the sub folders? Get-PublicFolder \<Parent_Folder_Tree>\Consultants -Recurse | Add-PublicFolderClientPermission -AccessRights <see_help_for_optoins> -User <Domain\User> -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Stuart Reicher" <StuartReicher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF14A00D-D9E6-486D-9237-C7ED652524F5@microsoft.com... > We have a cons...

Excel 2003 giving annoying "Send/Don't Send" error when closing
I am accessing an instance of Excel 2003 through a Codegear C++ program I'm writing. The code looks something like this (not that it really matters all that much): TExcelApplication* ea = new TExcelApplication(this); ea->Connect(); ExcelWorkbookPtr ewbPtr = ea->get_ActiveWorkbook(); // do stuff... ewbPtr.Release(); delete ea; ea = 0; I can connect to Excel and write to it just fine. However, when I try to disconnect from it and close/delete the Excel application instance, I get an annoying Excel error message that says, "Excel has encountered a problem and...

SBS2008
Have a customer who has a telephone system that uses an IMAP connectionj to the users Inbox to pick up voicemails. Since upgrading from Exchange 2003 (SBS2003) to Exchange 2007 (SBS2008) this has stopped working. Users userrnames and passwords are still the same. I've setup Outlook to make an IMAP connection to their mailbox but this doesn't appear to work, I guess this is why their telephone can't logon either. I just get a box come up prompting for a username and password ?? Is their more to it in Exchange 2007 than just doing the regular Outlook IMAP set...

some emails not coming through since going to exchange, no details on why
Have a user that got 2 daily emails. One from a partner of ours that was an automatic email sent, with a status of things. Has an attachment that is a .docr The other is a daily list of canadian exchange rate. No attachments. He no longer recieves these emails and ht doesn't get any emails explaining why. Any idea's? Reply Check your SMTP protocol logs - are these emails getting to your server at all? Are you receiving other emails from outside on that email address? Other addresses? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog -----------------...

OL 2000 .pst file moving to new computer
I am trying to export a OL 2000 .pst file running under Windows XP with SP 1. I want to export or save the file so I can open it up on my other computer using Outlook 2000 under Windows 98. When opening the outlook.pst file on the computer with Windows 98 I received the following message - "File access is denied; You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook outlook.pst." I had exported that outlook.pst file to a CD and then copied it into WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook ...

Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode
Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode - Manage Multiple Domains in single box/PST. I have moved from an Exchange Server to a standalone Outlook 2003 system. On the exchange server I was able to manage multiple domains and the emails associated with them. I would like to do the same with just the Outlook client in Pop3 mode. I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my ISP. In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts list). However... The problem is with asso...

Need Exchange limit help
I have a new SBS 2008 Server setup in a manufacturing environment. Two users within the company send and receive large CAD files. How do I allow this process? Right now one user is try to send a 185MB file and it is saying "the message being sent exceeds the message size established for this user." I have tried setting the limit in the console to 10GB and now I have unchecked the "enforce the mailbox quotas" box and he still can't send. If I go into the Exchange Management Console I still don't see how I can make this work. Is this something that...

Exchange 2007 Error Updating Free/Busy Information
Here's the Message we're receiving in our event log. The Messaging environment was moved from Exchange 2000 to 2007. "Error updating public folder with free/busy information on virtual machine EXCHSVR. The error number is 0x80040115" This error looks like it started after the DST Time change. Any ideas? ...

Latest Exchange Administrator Needed admin.exe = 5.5.2655.33
If any body knows were to download the Exchange Admin (admin.exe Version 5.5.2655.33). I am having a problem with mailbox sizes being incorrectly diplayed in Exchange admin. I have dozens of Executives that have mailboxes over 4 or 5 GB and I have no way of correctly reporting there sizes other than using ExMerge. Please help..... Hi Ed, You will need to call into our Tech Support and refer to the following Knowledge Base article and tell them that you need the hotfix. 305829 XADM: Incorrect Mailbox Size Is Displayed in Exchange Server http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305829 -- Thanks,...

Exchange delayed delivery/NDR due to 421+Server+too+busy (greylist bug?)
Exchange 2003 SP2. I think we are seeing the exchange "greylisting" bug where emails sometimes get stuck and are not sent, nor are the users notified in a timely manner. In my case it is not greylisting but a 421+Server+too+busy error that exchange is not retrying on. Most of the time the emails to a particular client get through, it is the occasional one that does not. If I look at the message history in the message tracking cneter it shows "Message transferred to OTHER_MAILSERVER through SMTP" for the successful sends. For the failed sends it shows ""Me...

OWA failing
I am running exchange 5.5 on 2000 server. Under administrative tools, Routing and Remote Access was accidentally started. Since this occured our OWA keeps stopping...I get this error message in event viewer: Event ID 36872 but when I looked up this error it said this can occur on your AD domain controller. This server is not a domain controller, what do I need to do to fix this? ...

Calendar 2000 & 2007 Status of Meeting Attendees Changing
I have a client who has set up a meeting and sent an update and the following occurs: "once I sent an update, my attendees changed to “optional” from “required” and the tracking is inaccurate as someone who accepted is not showing up as receiving a response. Another attendee did not receive the update at all." She also is asking whether or not it makes a difference is she uses a distribution list in her meeting invitation. Can anyhone shed any light on why this is happening? -- LPS ...

Outlook 2003 - Line 227
A customer of mine is attempting to printer HTML based email and receives the following error: ---- Error A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug? Line: 227 Error: The specified module could not be found. ---- I have uninstalled and re-installed (with all options) Office 2003. Attempted to print a Text based email, and it printed without any issue. Attempted to print and HTML based email, and I would get this error. Downloaded and updated all available MS Office updates. Same results. Removed all of the HP software for the printer. Downloaded and installed the latest version of...

How do I add the Norton Anti-Spam toolbar in Outlook 2003?
I deleted the Norton Anti-Spam and Adopbe Acrobat folders from Outlook 2003 e-mail page and don't know how to get it back. ...