Front-End/Back-End setup

Hello all:

I have a front-end/clustered back-end setup, running Exchange server
2003 SP1 all around.

I'm having the following problems:

o Using OWA, on logout, I get presented with a username/password box
again.  I think this has something to do with permission and
authorization settings on the HTTP virtual servers but I'm not 100%
sure.

Question: what are the default security settings for the Exchange HTTP
directories or a pointer to them?

o I've set up RPC over HTTP; I can connect directly using RPC over HTTP
to the back-end but not to the front-end.  All settings are correct and
both servers know each other as fe/be, according to the documentation.

Question: what tools are available to troubleshoot the fe/be
connectivity for RPC over HTTP?

o Public Folders are accessible using OWA if connected to the back-end
server.  All I see on the front-end server is an empty directory.

Question: What are the default security settings for the Public Folder
tree (as viewable through Server Manager) and, why is OWA not seeing
the public folders on the front-end that way they are viewable on the
back-end?

Thank you all so much, I'll await your answers...

--
Frederic Woodbridge

See answers inline.

"F. Woodbridge" wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I have a front-end/clustered back-end setup, running Exchange server
> 2003 SP1 all around.
>
> I'm having the following problems:
>
> o Using OWA, on logout, I get presented with a username/password box
> again.  I think this has something to do with permission and
> authorization settings on the HTTP virtual servers but I'm not 100%
> sure.

Actually it more looks like permissions issue with NTFS.
Make sure Everyone has read permissions on the "bin" and "exchweb"  under
your exchange server installation directory.
If you still have the problem, you might need to grant those perms on other
dirs.

> Question: what are the default security settings for the Exchange HTTP
> directories or a pointer to them?
>
> o I've set up RPC over HTTP; I can connect directly using RPC over HTTP
> to the back-end but not to the front-end.  All settings are correct and
> both servers know each other as fe/be, according to the documentation.

Since you're running SP1...
Did you check both "this server participates in an RPC over HTTP connection"
on the FE and the BE ?

> Question: what tools are available to troubleshoot the fe/be
> connectivity for RPC over HTTP?

did you try outlook /rpcdiag ?

> o Public Folders are accessible using OWA if connected to the back-end
> server.  All I see on the front-end server is an empty directory.
>
> Question: What are the default security settings for the Public Folder
> tree (as viewable through Server Manager) and, why is OWA not seeing
> the public folders on the front-end that way they are viewable on the
> back-end?

Looks like your FE is messed up, I'd be curious to see how it is configured.

<BenoitBoudeville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Actually it more looks like permissions issue with NTFS.
> Make sure Everyone has read permissions on the "bin" and "exchweb"
>  under your exchange server installation directory.
> If you still have the problem, you might need to grant those perms
> on other dirs.

On the FE server, the security information is:
Authenticated users have Read access on the "exchweb" folder but no
such access on the "bin" directory.  Are you saying I need to have
Everyone added with read access to these?

>> Question: what are the default security settings for the Exchange
>> HTTP directories or a pointer to them?
>> [edit]

> Since you're running SP1...
> Did you check both "this server participates in an RPC over HTTP
> connection" on the FE and the BE ?

Yes, they are configured this way.

>> Question: what tools are available to troubleshoot the fe/be
>> connectivity for RPC over HTTP?
>
> did you try outlook /rpcdiag ?

Well, it doesn't show anything. I get presented with a logon box--with
the RPCDiag window in the background, empty--and when I put in the
proper credentials, I get a "Exchange server not online" error.

>> o Public Folders are accessible using OWA if connected to the
>> back-end server.  All I see on the front-end server is an empty
>> directory.
>>
>> Question: What are the default security settings for the Public
>> Folder tree (as viewable through Server Manager) and, why is OWA
>> not seeing the public folders on the front-end that way they are
>> viewable on the back-end?
>
> Looks like your FE is messed up, I'd be curious to see how it is
> configured.

Which is why I'd like to know what the default settings are for a
typical FE server.  I'm attempting to get it back to its basic
settings.

--
Frederic Woodbridge
0

Losing and bringing back "Language" to the tool bar
This is a mystery to me because I know it's happened before. I use "Language" in the toolbar of Word on a daily basis, switching from French to English depending on the text, and today, again the "Language" choice in the toolbar has disappeared. I've been through every possible (as far as I can see) choice in the "Customize Toolbar" option in "Tools" and through every possible (as far as I can see) choice in both "Toolbars" and "Commands" and even tried dragging "Set Language", to the Toolbar option just under the bo...

DB Window displays none objects if DB was converted from file format 2000 to 2002 and back to 2000
Hi, I posted this request once before on 2002-09-10 19:00:02 (Office Developer XP SP2 , Win XP SP1, DAO 3.6) The following problem occurs in several of my databases. It does not occuer with a new database from scratch: The DB Window displays none objects in detail view if DB was converted from file format 2000 to 2002 and back to 2000. Any help ? ...

Quarter-End Payroll Reports
When the payroll supervisor tries to run the Quarter-End Payroll Reports she is receiving the following error: Unhandled script exception. Script '(78) of form uprCrossCompanyReports' not found. EXCEPTION_CLASS_SCRIPT_MISSING SCRIPT_CMD_CALL Any ideas on how to resolve? Thanks Rene More information is required to determine your problem: 1. What version of Great Plains are you using? 2. What is the last Tax Code Update? 3. What is the laxt Tax Update? 4. Is this just one client or multiple clients machines? It sounds like an old service patch was loaded after the client has applie...

Which card format for picture on front and writing inside
Using Publisher 2003, Wich blank publication would you use to put a picture on the front of the card and text inside? Thanks Jim wood to art wrote: > Using Publisher 2003, Wich blank publication would you > use to put a picture on the front of the card and text > inside? > > Thanks Jim ========================== For a Blank Quarter Fold Card...choose Blank Publications / Side Fold Card. If you require a Half Fold Card...open a Side Fold Card and then go to... File / Page Setup / Booklet / OK. -- John Inzer return e-mail disabled ...

Copying backup file back on hard drive and Outlook using them
I thought my computer crashed. In fact, the fact is I had corrupted Window files and the place I took my computer to be repaired, they had to restore my computer back to the point when I first purchased it (August 2008-Toshiba). Before they did a restore I asked them if they could try to find and copy my pst files (contacts is what I need the most but would like my calendar also). They were able to locate them before they did the restore. They copied them back on my computer but not in Office. I went to where they copied my files and did a copy and paste into the Outlook f...

Jon
Jon - can you come back to my post from yesterday? Thanks, wazooli ...

Reverse a Macro
Thanks for considering this problem! Is there a quick and simple way to reverse the events performed by macro. Hopfully there is a type of "back button" process, short of writing th macro in reverse which can be very time consuming on complicate macros. Thanks.... -- spydo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- spydor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2843 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49746 As far as I know there's no simple way to reverse the actions of a ma...

Minimizing Outlook 2002 puts it near front of tab order
I've been having (what I think is) a very strange problem with Outlook 2002 on Windows 2000. If there is more than one other top-level window open and Outlook 2002's main window is minimized, OL's main window then shows up as the second window in the tabbing (Alt+Tab) order. To reproduce this, open several applications, bring OL to the front, minimize it, and then hold down Alt+Tab. Regardless of how many other non-minimized windows are open, OL still shows up as the second window (after the one on top). This contrasts sharply with the normal behavior of top-level windows, where a ...

EX2K
I'm running a single instance of Exchange 2000 on a member W2K3 server. Using NTbackup the account I've designated to run the tasks under can't back up the information store. Logs show the following message: Error: <server>\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group is not a valid drive, or you do not have access. The account is a member of the local backup operators group and can successfuly backup all drives and the system state. My admin account can back up the IS with no problem. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'd rather not continue running the IS ...

setup outlook 2003 to work offline
I just installed office 2003 and when I started outlook the set up for my exchange server setup failed. now when I start outlook the program refuses to start when I press cancel at the start up screen. How do I set outlokk up to work offline and any ideas on how I can work out the problems with setting up the exchange server. Thanks in Advance Senior geek On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:59:25 -1000, glyke1 <glyke1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just installed office 2003 and when I started outlook the set up for my > exchange server setup failed. now when I start outlook th...

Basic Select Query Duplicating a single end user's records
I am stumped with a particular problem. My table consists of hundreds of records that are directed to their associated end user. This is my simple Select query shown here: "SELECT [Name Tbl].Mgr, [Name Tbl].Name, [Data Tbl].Survey_CNT, FROM Manager INNER JOIN ([Name Tbl] INNER JOIN [Data Tbl] ON [Name Tbl].ID# = [Data Tbl].Name) ON Manager.OM = [Name Tbl].Mgr" Inside the Data Tbl, one Name shows 4 physical records. However, in this simple query it has duplicated one Name's records so now there is 8 for that one particular name. The other Names show a correct m...

Upgraded to Office 2003
I upgraded a Windows 2000 pro machine from Office XP to Office 2003. I did this so I could put this client on the exchange server and use basic authentication and put in a proxy server as well as use fast connection options that Outlook 2003 has for exchange connections. My problem is that those options under security tab are not there. I uninstalled Office 2003 after that and reinstalled a fresh copy making sure there were no lingering office folders in the program files before I reinstalled. I did not go through the registry to make sure there were no office references though. I assume ...

RPC over HTTP outlook setup problem
Hi All. I have just setup RPC over HTTP and when adding an account to outlook I add my FQDN for my exchange server and then my username and then hit check name. Its resolves my server name to a local hostname ie. hostname.domain.local. Since Im trying to access this over a WAN it obvoiusly wont work. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in Advance. Blaine You will need the common name for your site. For example the internet DNS name could be, mail.yourdomain.com. Did you create your own CA or are using a Third Party? You can check and verify what it is. I am including link to he...

Back Button on asp.net pages
I'm building a site and there is a series of asp.net pages with forms on them. My client would like back buttons placed on each page. Currently I just have some javascript code sending you back to the last page. When I click it I get a "Page has expired" error. I'm just wondering if there's any way around having to click refresh, So that when you click back it automatically loads up the page with your fields filled in and everything. Any help would be great, thanks. Will Hi, ask this question at "microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet" newsgroup or...

Exchange backup option- do not permanetly delete until the store has been backed up
Hello, This is not so much a problem just something that i have encountered and would like to share. Feel free to respond to this. On Exchange I decided to implement the following option to some users in my domain. "do not permanetly delete until the store has been backed up". Ever since applying this option I have not been able to perform a sucessful backup. I am using third party software for backups. I am assuming that this option is only valid/avaliable when backing up with Microsoft backup software. I am using Legato Networker Version 7.1.1_rtm.Build 277. I will take this...

exchange 2007 front end
Hello all I have setup Exchange 2007 running with only the CAS role, and i also have a server with the mailbox, HUB rooles isntalled, andi have my exchange 2003 server running. Now if a user goes to webmail.mydomain.com/OWA and this users mailbox is on the 2003 server they get an error that says the server couldnt find the mailbox (webmail points to the CAS) if the same user goes to webmail.mydomain.com/exchange they can log in no problem. How can i set the CAS serevr up so users who have mailboxes on the 2003 server dont have to specify /Exchange and i assume I would need to do the s...

MTA on Front end servers
We are currently operating in a mixed mode exchange environment (ie 55 and 2k3). In our primary site we have installed 2 EX 2k3 servers to act as our bridgehead servers. Both SMTP (to internet) and MTA\X400 (to other Ex55 servers) flow thourgh these bridgeheads. I want to make these 2 servers front-end servers but dont know how this will effect the MTA service. Question is can an MTA run on a Front end server (I know that it remove the IS stores)? and what affect does this front-end config make? redlad <redlad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are currently operating in a...

Data Label Reverts Back to Default Font Size / Color
I am having an issue where the data labels keep reverting back to the default font size & color. I'll change them to a smaller size/ different color and when I save and reopen, it will go back to the default size, font and color. I've tried it on my Imac - working in Powerpoint 2008 running Version 10.6.3 - Snow Leopard as well as on the my Dell laptop running Windows 7. Also, curiously enough, I've emailed the document to a coworker and he opened and changed in on his PC running XP and the fonts did not revert to default after saving and re-opening on his end. I am w...

Backing up Exchange 2003 #3
I want to backup one of our Exchange 2003 servers using Veritas Backup Exec. If I choose to backup the Exchange Information Store, do I need to backup the mdbdata folder as well or would that be a little redundant? It would seem to me that both options would backup the same data and I don't want to backup GBs of unnecessary data. Thanks, Brett You should backup the Information Store. That will backup the MDBData, including logs - whether they're in that folder/volume or located elsewhere. It will also purge the transaction logs. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT ----------------------...

cursor jumping from start to end of page
Hi outlook 2003 when i start outlook, the new page appears, ready for me to input text with the cursor flashing, but if I press ENTER to take me to the new line, the cursor jumps to the end of the page, how do I correct this? I also have two identical toolbars on the outlook interface, why? and what do I do? ...

Capture "End Task" event...
Hi All, I have made an MFC application. So if any user terminate this application using task manger's Process tab and clicking "End task" button....i want to perform some task so that next time my application can be started gracefully. Any help will be highly appreciated... thnx in advance.. VineetJ Vineet wrote: > I have made an MFC application. So if any user terminate this > application using task manger's Process tab and clicking "End task" > button....i want to perform some task so that next time my application > can be started g...

Profile Setup
When I enter the server name and mailbox name when setting up an Outlook 2003 profile, how does it lookup the name? It seems I can put any name in the server area as long as I have a valid mailbox name. I used a made up server name and it still resolved the mailbox. Thanks, Outlook 2003 uses the Global Catalog servers in an AD environment. (Exchange 200x refers Outlook 2000/2003 to the GCs.) Outside of that, I didn't think what you just did was possible since a new profile (o/s and outlook) shouldn't have a reference to a GC until checking in with Exchange. Guess Outlook ...

email setup
can anyone help me how to set up my microsoft outlook so that i can receive email? Your ISP should be able to give you instructions on how to do this. larry2garcia@yahoo.com wrote: > can anyone help me how to set up my microsoft outlook so > that i can receive email? ...

Unable to back up to removable drive
I can download my back up file to a floppy, but not a removeable drive. I have the 2002 standard. In microsoft.public.money, <ilinsguy@hotmail.com> wrote: >I can download my back up file to a floppy, but not a >removeable drive. I have the 2002 standard. See FAQ available at http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/ for information. ...

Publisher setup starts when I open Excel
Whenever I start up Excel 2002, I get an Installer dialog box that opens that says Publisher 2002 is configuring. Then it gives me a 1706 error. I click ok and it tries repeatedly to do it, and only by hitting cancel successive times am I able to get to Excel. Publisher works fine, no errors or anything. Something in the registry I can change to stop this? I couldn't find this exact issue, but saw something that prompted my response. Check your XLSTART folder for any addins, such as a Publisher addin... Otherwise, Excel troubleshooting is here: http://www.officearticles.com/exce...