Front end/Back End configuration

I've recently been blessed with the budget to impliment an FTP server for my
small business. I already have an exchange 2003 server that resides behind
my firewall. Currently the only employees who have remote access to email
are the ones with Laptops and VPN acess. Since I'm installing an FTP server
I figured I may as well enable outlook web access for the rest of the
employees who do not have company laptops. My initial thought was to install
the fTP/Front End server in my DMZ of my firewall and forward the
appropriate ports from firewall to LAN. However in my readings I see that it
is not recomended to keep the FE server open to the entire world on the web.
Anyone have any better suggestions?

0
nweldon (23)

my FE server is open up to the entire world on the web
however only open up port 443 for owa & port 25 for smtp

"Nathan Weldon" <nweldon@usaarchitects.com> wrote in message
> I've recently been blessed with the budget to impliment an FTP server for
> my small business. I already have an exchange 2003 server that resides
> behind my firewall. Currently the only employees who have remote access to
> email are the ones with Laptops and VPN acess. Since I'm installing an FTP
> server I figured I may as well enable outlook web access for the rest of
> the employees who do not have company laptops. My initial thought was to
> install the fTP/Front End server in my DMZ of my firewall and forward the
> appropriate ports from firewall to LAN. However in my readings I see that
> it is not recomended to keep the FE server open to the entire world on the
> web. Anyone have any better suggestions?

0
zacfang (36)

DPM end user recovery issues
Servers OS: 2008 R2 Clients: Vista, Windows 7 Existing DPM: 2010 RC PROBLEM: Unfortunately the network was recovering from a forced-removal of the previous DPM 2007 SP1 Server. The Server was simply removed from the network without de-installation. DPM 2010 RC was subsequently installed and appeared to be working correctly except for EUR (End user Recovery). According to the admin the EUR AD wizard was run successfully. Users are not able to view previous versions despite the fact that the RPs exist on the DPM server. Restores from backups have been tested on the new serve...

Problem with Access 2000 Runtime while windows configures Acc.2k
I had somebody to install Access 2000 Runtime on a network PC. But using an other programs with this computer, sometimes trigger an error message that says: "Please wait while Windows configures Access 2000 Runtime". Gathering required information... (I think they have another program also that uses MSSQLdb). Then another message pops up: Microsoft Access 2000 Runtime. Error 1925.You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this installation for all users of the machine. Log on as administrator and retry this installation. The same Access Runtime is installed on 5 or 6 othe...

Bounce Backs
I am having issues with some users sending mail from an exchange 2003 SP2 Server to any user at a single domain. All the senders that are having troubles are using the same domain name for their from addresses...IE user@company1.com Other users on the same server can send just fine but they have a different default email domain IE user@company2.com. Here is a copy of the bounce back.... Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Testing Sent: 7/13/2006 10:45 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: namechangedtoprotectth...

Can't go back online with Outlook CRM Client
I am able to go offline with the CRM client for Outlook. When offline, I can't access any CRM data though. When I try to access CRM data in the "offline" state I get an error that says "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator." I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what to do to fix that. Plus, when I try to go back online I get an error that says "An unknown error has occurred. Retry the action. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator." Any ideas on what could be the problem? In or...

MSG: Wait while Windows configures Publisher 2002
A few days ago out of the blue I started getting this message saying Please wait while Windows configures Publisher 2002 every time I start to log onto the internet and nothing I do including reinstalling Publisher seems to make it go away. I don't know if this is related or not but it started happening after I reloaded McAfee virus scan. Can anyone tell me how to make this message go away? Hi anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || A few days ago out of the blue I started getting this || message saying Please wai...

Files to back up
Hi All I am trying to establish a full regular backup routine. In Outlook (2000) which files, and where, hold the emails sent/received and also the address book? TIA Check out the Outlook pages at my website, there's an article on backing up your Outlook data, hopefully it will answer all your questions. HTH Neil www.nwarwick.co.uk "aalaan" wrote: > Hi All > > I am trying to establish a full regular backup routine. > > In Outlook (2000) which files, and where, hold the emails sent/received and > also the address book? > > TIA > > ...

Configure user permissions on a custom webpart
Hi. I'm working on a custom webpart, which is a list that gets data from a ms sql database. If you press a record, a new form will be shown containing information regarding this record. I would like to be able to limit access to the second form, it should only be certain user who should have access to this. On the second form it is possible to edit the information, by pressing a "edit" btn, only specific users should have access to this. My question is, how do I make these permissions, should I make a table in the database with the certain users, and make code for...

Backing up journal entries problem
I am using Outlook 2003. I am having great difficulty working out how to make sure that my Journal entries are being properly recorded in my backup file. I use the backup command: File > Backup and under "Backup Options" the "Personal Folders" option is ticked. I save the file as Backup.pst. In order to check that everything is being saved correctly, I have copied the Backup.pst to another computer also running Outlook 2003. I then try to open it by selecting File > Open > Outlook Data File. This seems to make all my emails easily available, but I can't ...

New users not working on Front End OWA
I'm running Windows Server 2003 SBS with SP2 as my Exchange Back End and Windows Server 2003 Standard with Exchange 2003 SP1 as my front-end server. I've created a new user but cannot get it to work properly on the OWA if I'm going through the Front End server. So for instance - if I go to http://backend/exchange, the OWA comes up normally. HOwever, if I go http://frontend/exchange the user logs in but I get 404 errors on both the left and main panes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293386 Nue "Kelvin Kang" <...

Error Message on Front PC
I have v1.3 SO with 2 PC's. Everything works fine, but when I try to create a PO on the front PC with "based on reorder info" I receive a run-time error message that specified module could not be found. Meanwhile the back PC works fine. Have I made mistake in setting them up? Thanks Does the from PC have access to the report libraries? -- John M. "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB95F667-3D87-4154-9A12-506200B46538@microsoft.com... >I have v1.3 SO with 2 PC's. Everything works fine, but when I try to >create...

Outlook backing-up
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C3A4FB.53DC02E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I have Office XP and am going to upgrade my pc. Can anyone tell me a = secure way of backing up Outlook (Archives included) I have the Outlook = backup program installed, but last time I lost everything. I do not know = what I did wrong. Thanks for any advice ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C3A4FB.53DC02E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printabl...

WinRM configuration for communication through firewall using port
I'm trying to configure winrm v2.0 on Windows 2003 R2 SP2 to allow me to manage computers in a different domain using HTTP only (initially) through a firewall which only allows traffic on port 3389 (apparently). Steps I've taken : I've created HTTP listeners on each system on port 3389 I've added each system to the other systems list of Trusted Hosts Tried the following command without success : new-pssession -port 3389 -computername <remotesystemname> -credential domain\user [10.xx.xx.6] Connecting to remote server failed with the following error ...

Manufacturing Configurator
A prospect runs a printing business. They take orders from their customers. No two orders are exactly the same. They print calendars, business cards, company annual reports, menus etc. They need a solution that will allow them to cost their orders and generate quotes for their customers. If making some calendars of this size they will need this type of paper and so much bottles of ink. If they are doing another size calendar, they will need this other size paper and this many bottles of ink. I have seen some configurator modules for some manufacturing solutions. They sound as...

Subform shows over control set to bring to front.
I have a text box and a rectangle filled in. I also have a subform that I wish to be behind the text box and rectangle until called. Subform is set modal=no, popup=no. Problem is: Even sending subform to back and controls to front....the subform always shows through. Is there a way to resolve? Or do I have to make all subforms invisible until called? -- Thanks for your help, Chris ...

exchange 2k3 configuration for remote offices
I'm in the planning stages of upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to 2K3. We have four Exchange servers in our main office, and 2 at remote offices. We are looking at setting up with the frontend / backend configuration at the main office, but I'm having trouble finding any information about remote locations and performance issues with this configuration. Is anyone running in a similar configuration? ...

how to query Web Configuration settings for sessionState?
hi, I know how to configure sessionState in the central Web.Config. i'd like to know if there is a way to query that setting (normally not needed, but sometimes useful for diagnostic purposes). (this would be analogous, e.g., to ConfigurationManager.AppSettings.AllKeys etc.) cheers, Tim ...

Outlook 2007 configuration
I just bought a new computer & upgraded to 2007. Everything appears to be working alright except for configuring my email for Outlook. The actual configuration part works successfully but doesn't "save" my set up. Once I restart my computer I have to reconfigure again and again...it works while the computer is on, downloads emails and everything, but I lose all of it when it makes me do the set up all over again. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Thanks what os? what type of windows account does your windows logon have? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outloo...

Multiple E-mail Account Back-up/Restore
I'm getting a new computer and I want to move my Outlook data. Currently, I have 3 e-mail accounts configured. Should I be looking for 3 separate .pst files or is everything stored in a single .pst file? Thanks! Dell Christopher wrote: > I'm getting a new computer and I want to move my Outlook data. Currently, I > have 3 e-mail accounts configured. Should I be looking for 3 separate .pst > files or is everything stored in a single .pst file? > > Thanks! > > Assuming they are all POP accounts, all your DATA is in the one pst file. The Email Accoun...

configure Outlook/deleted mail
Hello, I logged into a different computer on the network, and configured Outlook on that computer, and it ended up importing all my mail, but deleting it from my main computer. I was able to have our tech guys recover it, but now every time I check Outlook on a different computer, my main computer's email is all wiped out. ...

I see my chosen background in front page but I can't select it
I use the same background on every page but my home page now has a plain white background. I see the marbled style in faint letters so I can't select it No Link to webpage No way to Help you "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:245C86A7-FA1D-45F2-BBA4-F313A21446F2@microsoft.com... > I use the same background on every page but my home page now has a plain > white background. I see the marbled style in faint letters so I can't > select > it Where do you see the greyed out style? Do you have a web site open? ...

Unusual email configuration question
Hello I am new to exchange and have been given the task of implementing it within a small company. I am looking for advise regarding an unusual email arrangement. This company is split into two separate companies but several of the employee's work for both companies thus require to receive email from both domains, this is not a problem. The problem arises when sending an email, how can they choose which account to send it on, so the customer see's the correct address. They are used to using multiple accounts in outlook but I cannot see how this is possible in exchange. I look ...

configuring publlic folder appointment items
Is it possible to configure a public folder that contains appointment items so that entries cannot overlap? i.e. I want to use a public folder for the booking out of a meeting room and if I tick the box for "All Day Event" then I would like it so no one can make another entry for that day - or if some one books it 9 to 11 then no one else should be able to book it for the same time frame am I making sense? No, that's one of the limitations of using a pf as a resource, can't automatically decline, no free busy etc. James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexch...

how do i reinstall my application configuration
I am having trouble with my computer. I am getting a message about my application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem. Can you help me? Thanks If you are having a problem with Word or Office, specifically, try repairing the installation. Assuming that you are using Word 2007, click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the Resources category, click Diagnose. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "Linda Vaughn@tccdc@gmi.net" <Linda Vaughn@tccdc@gmi.net@discussions.microsoft.co...

Front End Version Control?
We have a database that currently has several generations of front end files floating around. So far there are no problems with that, but we are making some major changes to the front end (primarily in VBA macros, but also some forms changes), and we want all users to use the new front end file. The problem is, we don't know which users are using their own front end, and which are using the "master" front end. Does anyone have an idea for how we could use the back end file to detect whether a particular front end is current or not? I would like to be able to have the b...

[Fwd: Re: The End Is Near]
FYI Michael wrote: > > ...and if I'd posted this to a forum it never would've been seen. > -- > Because no one would miss you or your post! -- THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL LD5SZRA OR ITS ASSOCIATES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, ...