FE-BE Server Distribution Lists

Hello,

I have a front end 2003 exchange server and a back end 2003 exchange
server.

I have an SMTP virtual server accepting in mail, and the SMTP connector
configured with the FE VS as the bridgehead.

My problem is when people send to global distribution lists from
outside of the organisation they sit in the FE SMTP Mailbox and cause a
x.400 message loop.. I have managed to research this problem to
discover if I go in and manually set the distribution group expansion
server to the BE, then people sending to the distribution group works
fine, otherwise doesnt work.

As mentioned this is a pure Exchange 2003 environment running in native
mode. The suggetion from microsoft to set the expansion server to the
backend was related to exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003 connectivity..
Surely a front end 2003 exchange server can expand distribution groups
for delivery to the back end on its own? I have hundreds of groups so
its not acceptable to just manually change this settting on each group.
'Any' should work I would think.

On another note, people trying to relay from external using valid
crendentials are getting 5.7.1 unable to relay.. I have got
authentication set as integrated and basic against my domain, yet it
still fails.. I have to add their IP address in to allow it to relay..
I am starting to suspect the problems might be related.

Any help would be much appreciated...

0
redcross1 (2)

Regarding relaying - are you sure the senders are authenticating correctly?
The fact that adding their IP addresses allows them to relay means they're
not authenticated.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Red Cross" <redcross1@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I have a front end 2003 exchange server and a back end 2003 exchange
> server.
>
> I have an SMTP virtual server accepting in mail, and the SMTP connector
> configured with the FE VS as the bridgehead.
>
> My problem is when people send to global distribution lists from
> outside of the organisation they sit in the FE SMTP Mailbox and cause a
> x.400 message loop.. I have managed to research this problem to
> discover if I go in and manually set the distribution group expansion
> server to the BE, then people sending to the distribution group works
> fine, otherwise doesnt work.
>
> As mentioned this is a pure Exchange 2003 environment running in native
> mode. The suggetion from microsoft to set the expansion server to the
> backend was related to exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003 connectivity..
> Surely a front end 2003 exchange server can expand distribution groups
> for delivery to the back end on its own? I have hundreds of groups so
> its not acceptable to just manually change this settting on each group.
> 'Any' should work I would think.
>
> On another note, people trying to relay from external using valid
> crendentials are getting 5.7.1 unable to relay.. I have got
> authentication set as integrated and basic against my domain, yet it
> still fails.. I have to add their IP address in to allow it to relay..
> I am starting to suspect the problems might be related.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated...

0
bharat3597 (1006)
1/18/2007 4:49:19 PM
Yes they are certainly authenticating correctly. It just doesnt work.

There is something wrong between the SMTP virtual server and
authentication, I have tried a number of MS KB articles to suggest
things to fix, but nothing has worked to date.

Bharat Suneja [MVP] wrote:
> Regarding relaying - are you sure the senders are authenticating correctly?
> The fact that adding their IP addresses allows them to relay means they're
> not authenticated.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> "Red Cross" <redcross1@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a front end 2003 exchange server and a back end 2003 exchange
> > server.
> >
> > I have an SMTP virtual server accepting in mail, and the SMTP connector
> > configured with the FE VS as the bridgehead.
> >
> > My problem is when people send to global distribution lists from
> > outside of the organisation they sit in the FE SMTP Mailbox and cause a
> > x.400 message loop.. I have managed to research this problem to
> > discover if I go in and manually set the distribution group expansion
> > server to the BE, then people sending to the distribution group works
> > fine, otherwise doesnt work.
> >
> > As mentioned this is a pure Exchange 2003 environment running in native
> > mode. The suggetion from microsoft to set the expansion server to the
> > backend was related to exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003 connectivity..
> > Surely a front end 2003 exchange server can expand distribution groups
> > for delivery to the back end on its own? I have hundreds of groups so
> > its not acceptable to just manually change this settting on each group.
> > 'Any' should work I would think.
> >
> > On another note, people trying to relay from external using valid
> > crendentials are getting 5.7.1 unable to relay.. I have got
> > authentication set as integrated and basic against my domain, yet it
> > still fails.. I have to add their IP address in to allow it to relay..
> > I am starting to suspect the problems might be related.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated...

0
redcross1 (2)

Is there a list of characters that Word considers equivalent on Fi
Word's Find will find "equivalent" characters. For example, a find for straight quotes will also find curly quotes, and a find for a space will also find a non-breaking space. Where can I find a list of the characters that Word considers equivalent in this sense? Thanks. ...

How to sign in when LiveID server is down?
Running M2007. Keep on getting error that my password is incorrect, although it worked earlier this morning. I assume the ID server is down somehow, and I get a message that suggests I sign in without access to all online services. However, in M2007 I don't see any way of doing anything like that. In past versions there used to be a check box that said something about signing without online services, but I can't see it in M2007. Tried starting Money from a shortcut and from double clicking the .mny file, both with same login screen. Is there something I am missing? BTW, this wou...

Changing WinRM service/server port
Anyone know how to change the server/service port? I've created a listener, but I think I need to change the WinRM client and server to use the new port... PS C:\> Set-WSManInstance -ResourceURI winrm/config/service/DefaultPorts -Value @{HTTP="6000"} Set-WSManInstance : The WinRM client cannot process the request because it is trying to update a read-only setting. Rem ove this setting from the command and try again. At line:1 char:18 + Set-WSManInstance <<<< -ResourceURI winrm/config/service/DefaultPorts -Value @{HTTP="6000"} + Category...

How to handle abnormal user disconnection condition from server?
I use MFC Visual C++ 4.2. I developed a simple network application to send message inter-clients and the number of clients also only a few persons ( about less than 10 persons ). I have succeeded in establishing server-client and client-server connection, sending and receiving messages from client. Now my problem are: 1. I need to send a message from a client to other client. How to know that the message I sent will be received by the correct user intended, not missed to other user? 2. How to handle the condition of unexpected user disconnection from server? E.g. : the user worksta...

Adding 2nd server in an Exchange 5.5 environment
Is there an easy way to move the IMS connector from one Exchange 5.5 server to another? I recently added a new Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows 2000( No AD). Now I would like to move the IMS connector so I can remove the original mail server from the network. ( The Original server is a dog) I have just started this process and the goal is to get my old P2 system out of the network and replace it with a much faster Dual Xeon box, then upgrade the new mail server to Exchange 2000.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... -- Dale I believe the correct process is to instal...

How to have combo list sorted
I have set the following data name: =OFFSET(Par!$D$2,0,0,COUNTA(Par!$D$2:$D$201)-COUNTBLANK(Par!$D$2:$D$201),1) How to get all data in the right onummeric order? It seems to be with offset($D$2,0,0,counta($D:$201),1).... likely looks like the upperformula I use. But the combo is not sorted when I use it. Bart You would have to sort the source data: Whatever's in this range Par!$D$2:$D$201 needs to be sorted. Biff "AA Arens" <bartvandongen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166147791.194106.272500@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have set the following data name...

Last day of posting via Microsoft server
Well, I guess this is the last day of posting via the Microsoft server. http://www.teranews.com/ Your own free account ($3.95 one time setup fee) that allows posting or use public.teranews.com without an account (no posting & speed capped). You can use any standard news client you choose to read and post to any newsgroup. Or Google it: http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&q=microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion&qt_s=Search God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto:BillHughes@billhughes.com http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm "D...

Outlook client connect to exchange server 5.5 problem
Outlook client connect to exchange server 5.5, i get the following message box: "The name could not be resolved. The connection to the microsoft exchange server is unavailable. All other clients are able to connect and resolve the mailbox name. I can't ping and resolve the exchange server from the problems outlook client. The problems occur after i run repair the w2k pro. can anyone help? EL can not ping... well start with basic IP testing. use ipconfig /all from a command prompt on the misconfigured client. Check for DHCP default Gateway - make sure it looks like a client t...

SQL Server Reporting Services Reports in Access
Using Access 2007 and SQL Server 2008. Is there a way to display SQL Server Reporting Services reports in Access 2007? If so, links to documentation/examples would be appreciated. -- AG Email: npATadhdataDOTcom Hi AG, No,there is no compatible interface for converting SSRS report to Access 2007 now.You may consider first export your SSRS report to an Excel file and then embed an OLE object "Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet". If you only need the data, you can directly import data from Excel to your Access database. Best regards, Charles Wa...

How can I combine data from a list?
For example: suppose I had a very simple list, with two columns: "Name" and "Number". The category "name" has three items: Dog, Cat, and Dog. Each of those three items has a corresponding "number" value: 3, 4, and 5. I'm trying to find a function that would recognize the fact that I have "Dog" listed twice, and would sum the 3 & 5 values listed next to each "Dog", leaving me with a two-item list: Dog, 8 & Cat, 4. Is there a way to do this? A Pivot Table will do that nicely for you: Set the Name as a ROW and the ...

GP 10 and Terminial Server 2008
My customer is having issues with GP 10 sp4 and Terminal Server 2008. Whenever they are in one of the Navigation panes (Purchasing) and they choose an option in the navigation Pane other than the PURCHASING (ie VENDORS) they are kicked out of GP. Has anyone come across this? ...

How do I convert a list to an Excel file?
I have a WORD file with 48 lines of comma delimited data in the form: xxx,xxxxxxx,xxxxxx,x,x,xxx,xxxxxxxxx xx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xx,x I would like to convert the WORD list to EXCEL. When I attempt to open the WORD file in EXCEL, I thought a conversion window would appear....what I actually get is "incorrect format" Hi! Save the WORD file as a plain text file. Then, when you open the file in Excel a Wizard will open and step you through it. Just select COMMA as the delimiter. Biff >-----Original Message----- >I have a WORD file with 48 lines of comma delimited data in ...

Payables Transaction Edit List
Our customer had the following error print on the Payables Transaction Edit List: **ERROR: One of more landed costs need to be apportioned.Document Total. This prevented the user from posting the batch. The batch went into Batch Recovery. However, the error message did not appear when logged in as 'sa' and 'sa' was able to post the batch. This customer does not even own the landed cost module. Plus, this was an A/P invoice, not a POP invoice. Why was this message appearing? ...

CTreeCtrl::DeleteAllItems requires resetting the image list, why?
If I call a CTreeCtrl's DeleteAllItems method it seems that I also have to set the controls image list again otherwise the control does nt show either the items icon or text. The following fails: m_tree.SetImageList(&someImageList, TVSIL_NORMAL); .... m_tree.DeleteAllItems(); m_tree.InsertItem(_T("Test"), 0, 1, TVI_ROOT, TVI_SORT); Where as the following works: m_tree.SetImageList(&someImageList, TVSIL_NORMAL); .... m_tree.DeleteAllItems(); m_tree.SetImageList(&someImageList, TVSIL_NORMAL); m_tree.InsertItem(_T("Test"), 0, 1, TVI_ROOT, TVI_SORT); ...

Access to Server
Hi All. I install CRM 1.2 in a Windows 2003 Server. From the server with a Administrator Logon and by the explorer, i access to CRM Administration without problems. If i use the Implemetation aplication or if i try to install the CRM Outlook, the message is: "The Localhost server is not responce" Thanks for a possible help. Hi, Can you do a 'nslookup' and 'ping' to the server name? "Rui Sousa" wrote: > Hi All. > > I install CRM 1.2 in a Windows 2003 Server. > > From the server with a Administrator Logon and by the explorer, i acces...

List box
I am trying to use the list box function from the control toolbar. I am not sure how to get the listings I want in the list box. Is there certain VB coding that is needed? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Todd No VBA code needed. In Design mode, click on your list box and select Properties from the Control toolbox (or right-click your list box and select Properties), then scroll down to the ListFillRange Property and indicate the cell range address that has the items you want to appear in the box (i.e., A1:A10). Then exit out of design mode and test your list box. MRO "Tod...

question about leaving messages on server
My husband and I have 1 POP mail account. I am accessing it from a computer in Virginia, where I'm staying with relatives. He is accessing the same account from California. I have my Outlook set up to keep messages on the server, but to delete them after 1 day (so that he will still get the messages, but the server won't get clogged). His email program, Eudora, is set up so the messages will be deleted from the server after he downloads them. Is there a chance I won't get some messages because he has his computer set up that way? (He downloads it 1st, then it gets deleted off serv...

Table headers in a list box (Custom Report)
I have a big table with many fields (more than fifty). They are not in one table but related. Now user's come with a requirement of a separate type of report everyday which has different fields. because of which i have to design a report for them with the required query. I was therefore wondering can i make a form which has two list boxes the one on left side will have all the fields of the table (only headers needed, not data). Users can select multiple no. of fields from that list box which will appear in another list box. Users should be able to then select the order of fi...

upload form problem / server question
www.icingpictures.co.uk / win xp / frontpage 2003 Want to create a form with upload file form field - i read on this forum that the server type i use is important - it should be a windows type server with frontpage extensions - i currently use a linux server with front page extensions - do i need to change to a windows server? Thanks for taking a looka t my question. Joyce Yes, you must have a Windows Server, just like you stated you read. -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "threademporium" <threademporiu...

Contact lists from Excel
I imported my contact list from Excel, it worked just fine. But when I create a Distro list using my contact list, when I select add members nothing shows up in the window. ??? Can someone please help? Is the contact folder marked as an address book? Right click on the folder, select properties and then ensure the Address Book tab is checked to show up in contacts. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Jim Panzee <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | I impor...

Cannot view vendor list on Business Portal
I try view the vendor list on purchasing center Page, but show this message "An error occurred while retrieving data from Microsoft Dynamics GP. Administrator, see the server log for more information" ...

One front-end server multiple back-end servers
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help with the following scenerio and make some suggestions as to an answer. We have 3 exchange AG groups. 1 AG group has 3 exchange servers in it, each located in it's own AD domain. 1 AG group has one exchange server in it, it's in its own AD domain. Thirdly, the last AG group has 2 exchange servers in it, both are in the same AD domain. 1 of these 2 exchange servers in the final AG mentioned is a front-end server, that should be supporting all the exchange back-end servers. The problem we are facing is that when a user from any of the ...

Pivot table field dropdown list reset #2
I would like to know if there is a way to reset a field dropdown list in a pivot table. In some field sometimes I delete data from the source and some items of the field will no longer be there. However, when I refresh the pivot table the dropdown list will still show the old items even if they're not in the source data anymore. I really need your help with this. Thanks a lot in advance for your help, Francisco Molina ...

Display various currencies in Account listings
Anyone have a solution that makes sense, I would liek to simply list the correct currencies according to the Accounts. Example: I use a Foriegn Bank, the local currency is Euros, I also use my Home Bank which uses Dollars. When I do a listing of the Accounts, I get a display of all amounts in Dollars or Euros and would like to see both. Working abroad! therefore; it would be nice to acutally see what is what. Or should I see Microsoft as on a one track mine set, that it only happens in America! if you have any supportive info please let me know. Thanks in advance ...

Exchange server and POP3 access
Hi All, I am using Outlook 2003 and have to access an exchange server for work. I also have several POP3 accounts that I access. It all works pretty well, with one aggravation. When I want to send email through one of the POP3 accounts, I select it from the accounts button when composing the message. The problem is that it sends it through the exchange server account, though the return address is correct. I would like it to send the email through the account specified in the configuration for the POP3 account. Why this is an issue, is that the copy of the sent mail is stored in the s...