False Positives in Outlook 2003 Junk Mail

I am the network engineer of a company. The mail server is running
Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 platform. My clients are running
Outlook 2003 on an XP platform. In addition I have Semantec MS for
Microsoft Exchange running on the server.

I have it set up the server so that Semantec blocks email that has a
SCL greater then 7 (which is very lax). Everything 7 or less gets
through to the server. Then Exchange 2003 dishes all the mail to the
users.

The problem I am having is for some reason I get mail delivered to my
Junk E-Mail folder in Outlook. But WHY? I have disabled it completely
in Outlook. It turns out that the only mail that is delivered there is
always the MOST important. I wish I could just relabel it URGENT.
Anyway how do I turn off Outlook 2003/Exchange 2003 Spam filtering
completely? Is their at least a filter that will fix it?

Zack
0
schneebie1 (10)

Sure, dont use cache mode in Outlook. That may not solve your problem
as Symantec may be pushing those emails to the junk folder. Also,
verify you dont have any Outlook rules that may be doing this as well.

On 16 Sep 2004 13:08:33 -0700, schneebie1@hotmail.com (Zack
Schneeberger) wrote:

>I am the network engineer of a company. The mail server is running
>Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 platform. My clients are running
>Outlook 2003 on an XP platform. In addition I have Semantec MS for
>Microsoft Exchange running on the server.
>
>I have it set up the server so that Semantec blocks email that has a
>SCL greater then 7 (which is very lax). Everything 7 or less gets
>through to the server. Then Exchange 2003 dishes all the mail to the
>users.
>
>The problem I am having is for some reason I get mail delivered to my
>Junk E-Mail folder in Outlook. But WHY? I have disabled it completely
>in Outlook. It turns out that the only mail that is delivered there is
>always the MOST important. I wish I could just relabel it URGENT.
>Anyway how do I turn off Outlook 2003/Exchange 2003 Spam filtering
>completely? Is their at least a filter that will fix it?
>
>Zack

0
adavid (8731)
9/16/2004 10:44:41 PM
The thing is, cache mode saves alot of Bandwidth on the network
because it does not have to keep asking the server for for each
referenced email. I do not have any rules in Outlook defined at all.
How could Semantec be pushing the email to my Junk mail? How would
that operation take place?

Andy David - Exchange MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:<6j5kk0dggkobkcium66q92me30jm00ngu5@4ax.com>...
> Sure, dont use cache mode in Outlook. That may not solve your problem
> as Symantec may be pushing those emails to the junk folder. Also,
> verify you dont have any Outlook rules that may be doing this as well.
>

> On 16 Sep 2004 13:08:33 -0700, schneebie1@hotmail.com (Zack
> Schneeberger) wrote:
>
> >I am the network engineer of a company. The mail server is running
> >Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 platform. My clients are running
> >Outlook 2003 on an XP platform. In addition I have Semantec MS for
> >Microsoft Exchange running on the server.
> >
> >I have it set up the server so that Semantec blocks email that has a
> >SCL greater then 7 (which is very lax). Everything 7 or less gets
> >through to the server. Then Exchange 2003 dishes all the mail to the
> >users.
> >
> >The problem I am having is for some reason I get mail delivered to my
> >Junk E-Mail folder in Outlook. But WHY? I have disabled it completely
> >in Outlook. It turns out that the only mail that is delivered there is
> >always the MOST important. I wish I could just relabel it URGENT.
> >Anyway how do I turn off Outlook 2003/Exchange 2003 Spam filtering
> >completely? Is their at least a filter that will fix it?
> >
> >Zack
0
schneebie1 (10)
9/17/2004 1:07:10 PM
Mail Security 4.5 uses a Store Action Threshold that interacts with
the SCL to determine which email gets sent to the junk folder.

Look for an executable called "SMSMMSESAT" in the Symantec directory.
 To view the current settings, go to a DOS prompt in that directory
and type

SMSMMSESAT
This will give you your current threshold settings to force marked
mail to the junk folder ( null means force everything 1 or greater to
the Junk Folder).

SMSMMSESAT/? will give info on how to change the settings.
If you do, restart the store and symantec services.

On 17 Sep 2004 06:07:10 -0700, schneebie1@hotmail.com (Zack
Schneeberger) wrote:

>The thing is, cache mode saves alot of Bandwidth on the network
>because it does not have to keep asking the server for for each
>referenced email. I do not have any rules in Outlook defined at all.
>How could Semantec be pushing the email to my Junk mail? How would
>that operation take place?
>
>Andy David - Exchange MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:<6j5kk0dggkobkcium66q92me30jm00ngu5@4ax.com>...
>> Sure, dont use cache mode in Outlook. That may not solve your problem
>> as Symantec may be pushing those emails to the junk folder. Also,
>> verify you dont have any Outlook rules that may be doing this as well.
>>

>> On 16 Sep 2004 13:08:33 -0700, schneebie1@hotmail.com (Zack
>> Schneeberger) wrote:
>>
>> >I am the network engineer of a company. The mail server is running
>> >Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 platform. My clients are running
>> >Outlook 2003 on an XP platform. In addition I have Semantec MS for
>> >Microsoft Exchange running on the server.
>> >
>> >I have it set up the server so that Semantec blocks email that has a
>> >SCL greater then 7 (which is very lax). Everything 7 or less gets
>> >through to the server. Then Exchange 2003 dishes all the mail to the
>> >users.
>> >
>> >The problem I am having is for some reason I get mail delivered to my
>> >Junk E-Mail folder in Outlook. But WHY? I have disabled it completely
>> >in Outlook. It turns out that the only mail that is delivered there is
>> >always the MOST important. I wish I could just relabel it URGENT.
>> >Anyway how do I turn off Outlook 2003/Exchange 2003 Spam filtering
>> >completely? Is their at least a filter that will fix it?
>> >
>> >Zack

0
adavid (8731)
9/17/2004 11:36:58 PM
Andy, thank you so much. I will look at this Monday when I get back to work.

Zack

Andy David - Exchange MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:<95smk01mip92l9bllaainnsqft6jte9nr9@4ax.com>...
> Mail Security 4.5 uses a Store Action Threshold that interacts with
> the SCL to determine which email gets sent to the junk folder.
>
> Look for an executable called "SMSMMSESAT" in the Symantec directory.
>  To view the current settings, go to a DOS prompt in that directory
> and type
>
> SMSMMSESAT
> This will give you your current threshold settings to force marked
> mail to the junk folder ( null means force everything 1 or greater to
> the Junk Folder).
>

> SMSMMSESAT/? will give info on how to change the settings.
> If you do, restart the store and symantec services.
>

> On 17 Sep 2004 06:07:10 -0700, schneebie1@hotmail.com (Zack
> Schneeberger) wrote:
>
> >The thing is, cache mode saves alot of Bandwidth on the network
> >because it does not have to keep asking the server for for each
> >referenced email. I do not have any rules in Outlook defined at all.
> >How could Semantec be pushing the email to my Junk mail? How would
> >that operation take place?
> >
> >Andy David - Exchange MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:<6j5kk0dggkobkcium66q92me30jm00ngu5@4ax.com>...
> >> Sure, dont use cache mode in Outlook. That may not solve your problem
> >> as Symantec may be pushing those emails to the junk folder. Also,
> >> verify you dont have any Outlook rules that may be doing this as well.

0
schneebie1 (10)
9/18/2004 12:58:01 PM
The command returned this:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\SMSMSE\4.5\Server>smsmsesat /H mydomain.com
SMSMSESAT.exe -- Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Store Action Thre
shold Utility

Store Action Threshold does not exist.

So it must be something else. Any ideas?

schneebie1@hotmail.com (Zack Schneeberger) wrote in message news:<a2aa04c0.0409180458.193e779d@posting.google.com>...
> Andy, thank you so much. I will look at this Monday when I get back to work.
>
> Zack
>
> Andy David - Exchange MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:<95smk01mip92l9bllaainnsqft6jte9nr9@4ax.com>...
> > Mail Security 4.5 uses a Store Action Threshold that interacts with
> > the SCL to determine which email gets sent to the junk folder.
> >
> > Look for an executable called "SMSMMSESAT" in the Symantec directory.
> >  To view the current settings, go to a DOS prompt in that directory
> > and type
> >
> > SMSMMSESAT
> > This will give you your current threshold settings to force marked
> > mail to the junk folder ( null means force everything 1 or greater to
> > the Junk Folder).
> >

> > SMSMMSESAT/? will give info on how to change the settings.
> > If you do, restart the store and symantec services.
> >

> > On 17 Sep 2004 06:07:10 -0700, schneebie1@hotmail.com (Zack
> > Schneeberger) wrote:
> >
> > >The thing is, cache mode saves alot of Bandwidth on the network
> > >because it does not have to keep asking the server for for each
> > >referenced email. I do not have any rules in Outlook defined at all.
> > >How could Semantec be pushing the email to my Junk mail? How would
> > >that operation take place?

0
schneebie1 (10)

Window panes in Outlook 2003
Just got 2003 and find a third window pane on the far right which is a preview pane for the selected e-mail, evidently. I can find no way to eliminate the window pane. Is there a way to remove this pane? How? I've tried every VIEW combination with no success. View > Reading Pane > Off doesn't work? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "jay" <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C953EF40-873E-4A04-93A8-FE101A547D0D@microsoft.com... > Just got 2003 and find a third window pane on the far right which is a > preview pane for the selected e-m...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

removing replicated table information from MS Office Access 2003
I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. If I import the file without any replicated information (ie. s_ColLineage, etc) how would this affect the database? Is it safe to do this? Would I be better off just making the tables not replicable? Thanks On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 03:33:07 -0800, DukeJon <DukeJon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Assuming your Access database does not need replicating, yes, it is safe to omit those fields during import. -Tom. >I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. >If I import the f...

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Recieve Mail Before Sending

Password Issue with MS Money 2003