Exorbitant Connection Data? #2

Hello,

Several of our users connect to their Exchange mailboxes using 3G datacards
to provide the backbone to the internet and from there use MS VPN to access
the resources on our LAN.  They then open Outlook to download their
messages.  What I have been told by users is that on occasion they end up
downloading up to 20MB of data after they open Outlook and before they begin
downloading emails.  Apart from the waiting being undesirable the cost is
huge.  Datacard usage is charged per MB and when you are abroad the cost can
be exorbitant.

They are all using cached mode so it could be that their profile is being
updated (GAL, etc.), but 20MB sounds like a lot.  I have created non-cached
profiles for one of the users and asked him to try using it when he finds
his cached profile is no connecting in a timely fashion.  I have also
suggested that they use OWA, where possible.

The other thought is that it could be Windows or antivirus are downloading
updates, but why would that pause the updating of you Exchange profile?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

TIA,

Jarryd

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:28:53 +0100, "Jarryd"
<Jarryd@youllneverknow.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Several of our users connect to their Exchange mailboxes using 3G datacards
>to provide the backbone to the internet and from there use MS VPN to access
>the resources on our LAN.  They then open Outlook to download their
>messages.  What I have been told by users is that on occasion they end up
>downloading up to 20MB of data after they open Outlook and before they begin
>downloading emails.  Apart from the waiting being undesirable the cost is
>huge.  Datacard usage is charged per MB and when you are abroad the cost can
>be exorbitant.
>
>They are all using cached mode so it could be that their profile is being
>updated (GAL, etc.), but 20MB sounds like a lot.  I have created non-cached
>profiles for one of the users and asked him to try using it when he finds
>his cached profile is no connecting in a timely fashion.  I have also
>suggested that they use OWA, where possible.
>
>The other thought is that it could be Windows or antivirus are downloading
>updates, but why would that pause the updating of you Exchange profile?
>
>Does anyone have any thoughts?
>
>TIA,
>
>Jarryd

I use my Vodafone 3G card on the train (WAGN out of KIngs X) and don't
experience any large traffic throughput. I'd make sure you are fully
patched and synced over wired or boradband first, then go out and
about. I don't think it's going to prove to be Outlook here, much more
likely something your Windows wants to pull down.

0
mark7219 (5666)

Problems with creating a newsletter

Meeting updates #2