Exchg2003 First Storage Error

Exchange Enterprise 2003, SP1 on Win2003 - When I attempt to view the mailbox
information store within First Storage Group I get an error (Id no.
80040d1b).  The only ref. to this error I have found is:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817309 - checked my
registry & server - they match; registry looks fine.  I also am getting
Veritas Exchg Info Store errors - "database corrupted".  I ran the Eseutil
defrag - ran successful, but still can't see mailboxes.  I found MS tech net
info that suggests re-installing Exchange (to repair):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/DROpsGuide/5c993545-011e-4fcd-80ee-36d6d5db84f4.mspx

Note:  All of my Exchange services/mail is working fine.  Any input on this
would be great.  thanks, CJ
0
cj (143)

Hi CJ,
When you say you can't see the mailboxes, where are you looking? if it's on the mailboxes object under the information store, btry
running the cleanup agent and then see what you get.
Also are you seeing any errors in the application log along the lines of -1018, 1019, or -1022 (you have to look in the details section
of a warning or error message to see this. Typically these will be inside a 454 error.
You ran a defrag on the database, but you might want to run this command "eseutil /g ". This will tell you if the database physical
structure is damaged or not. The other thing you can do is run the isinteg -s <servername> -fix -test alltests. Run this until you reciev 0
errors and 0 fixes in the final report.

Let me know
--------------------

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note:  For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they originated.

0
roberba (123)
4/6/2005 6:37:54 PM
Robert, thank you for responding to my question/concern I posted on the MS
Exchange newsgroup.  In response to your questions, please see below:

When you say you can't see the mailboxes, where are you looking? if it's on
the mailboxes object under the information store, btry running the cleanup
agent and then see what you get.  - Immediately after clicking First Storage
Group I get the error (Id no. 80040d1b) - so cleanup agent isn't an option
unless you can advise a way to do so at the command prompt?

Also are you seeing any errors in the application log along the lines of
-1018, 1019, or -1022 (you have to look in the details section of a warning
or error message to see this. Typically these will be inside a 454 error.  -
Only other error (found in Event Viewer) is "Background thread
FDoUpdateCatalog halted on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store
(Servername)" due to error code 0x80004005 (Event ID 7200)

You ran a defrag on the database, but you might want to run this command
"eseutil /g ". This will tell you if the database physical structure is
damaged or not. - I ran eseutil /g - no detail came up (possibly I needed
additional options) - it finished "successfully" was displayed when it
completed.

The other thing you can do is run the isinteg -s <servername> -fix -test
alltests. Run this until you reciev 0
errors and 0 fixes in the final report. - I attempted to run this utilility
continually got syntax errors - I made sure to run it from the directory
isinteg is located in - but no go.??

I appreciate any additional input.

Thanks :)
CJ

"Robert Baker [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi CJ,
> When you say you can't see the mailboxes, where are you looking? if it's on the mailboxes object under the information store, btry
> running the cleanup agent and then see what you get.
> Also are you seeing any errors in the application log along the lines of -1018, 1019, or -1022 (you have to look in the details section
> of a warning or error message to see this. Typically these will be inside a 454 error.
> You ran a defrag on the database, but you might want to run this command "eseutil /g ". This will tell you if the database physical
> structure is damaged or not. The other thing you can do is run the isinteg -s <servername> -fix -test alltests. Run this until you reciev 0
> errors and 0 fixes in the final report.
>
> Let me know
> --------------------
> >From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q0o=?=" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >Subject: Exchg2003 First Storage Error
> >Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 19:57:03 -0700
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
> >
> >Exchange Enterprise 2003, SP1 on Win2003 - When I attempt to view the mailbox
> >information store within First Storage Group I get an error (Id no.
> >80040d1b).  The only ref. to this error I have found is:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817309 - checked my
> >registry & server - they match; registry looks fine.  I also am getting
> >Veritas Exchg Info Store errors - "database corrupted".  I ran the Eseutil
> >defrag - ran successful, but still can't see mailboxes.  I found MS tech net
> >info that suggests re-installing Exchange (to repair):
> >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/DROpsGuide/5c993545-011e-4fcd-80ee-36d6d5db84f4.mspx
> >
> >Note:  All of my Exchange services/mail is working fine.  Any input on this
> >would be great.  thanks, CJ
> >

> --
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
> specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
>
> Note:  For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
> which they originated.

0
cj (143)
4/9/2005 12:39:02 AM
Regardless of which directory (bin or path= set for the isinteg command) I
get the below when running isinteg -s....:

D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA>isinteg -s mc13 -fix -test alltests
Error: unable to get databases status from server. The reason could be
either wr
ong server name or networking problems. Isinteg quits now.

"Robert Baker [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi CJ,
> When you say you can't see the mailboxes, where are you looking? if it's on the mailboxes object under the information store, btry
> running the cleanup agent and then see what you get.
> Also are you seeing any errors in the application log along the lines of -1018, 1019, or -1022 (you have to look in the details section
> of a warning or error message to see this. Typically these will be inside a 454 error.
> You ran a defrag on the database, but you might want to run this command "eseutil /g ". This will tell you if the database physical
> structure is damaged or not. The other thing you can do is run the isinteg -s <servername> -fix -test alltests. Run this until you reciev 0
> errors and 0 fixes in the final report.
>
> Let me know
> --------------------
> >From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q0o=?=" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >Subject: Exchg2003 First Storage Error
> >Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 19:57:03 -0700
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
> >
> >Exchange Enterprise 2003, SP1 on Win2003 - When I attempt to view the mailbox
> >information store within First Storage Group I get an error (Id no.
> >80040d1b).  The only ref. to this error I have found is:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817309 - checked my
> >registry & server - they match; registry looks fine.  I also am getting
> >Veritas Exchg Info Store errors - "database corrupted".  I ran the Eseutil
> >defrag - ran successful, but still can't see mailboxes.  I found MS tech net
> >info that suggests re-installing Exchange (to repair):
> >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/DROpsGuide/5c993545-011e-4fcd-80ee-36d6d5db84f4.mspx
> >
> >Note:  All of my Exchange services/mail is working fine.  Any input on this
> >would be great.  thanks, CJ
> >

> --
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
> specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
>
> Note:  For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
> which they originated.

0
cj (143)
4/9/2005 2:45:03 AM
Hi CJ,

The error you are getting when you try to view the information store (80040d1b) is documented in the microsoft knoweledge base at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817309. The cause is stated as follows

CAUSE
=====

This problem may occur if you moved or deleted the GatherLogs folder for Microsoft Search Service.

=====
There is a resolution in the article and this may be the reason for the rest of your problems.

Let me know