Exchange2000 system attendant won't start automatically

I am running a Windows 2000 AD domain with Windows 2003 and Windows 2000
member servers.  I have Exchange 2000 running on one of the 2000 member
servers.

The Windows Server 2003 version of ADPrep/forestprep and ADPrep/domainprep
have been run against the domain and replicated successfully without error
and I have not had any problems adding 2003 member servers to the domain.

I would like to now upgrade the Exchange and OS of the Exchange member
server to versions 2003.  I am hesitant to start the process since there is
an issue with the starting of the system attendant.

Ever since the Server 2003 ADPrep was run against the domain there are three
services that will not start automatically.  However, if I log into the
desktop of the Exchange server I can start them manually.  The services are
the System Attendant, the MTA stacks and the Information Store.  I'm pretty
sure the MTA and the IS are dependent on the SA and that is the one with the
problem.  The weird thing is that I am not changing the startup account.  I'm
just starting the services manually.  So, in order to reboot the server I
must disable those services, reboot, login, enable those services and then
start them.  If I try to reboot the server without disabling them the SA
hangs on starting and I must disable it in the registry and reboot again to
get it back so I can manually start it.  The event log just gives me a
generic "service hung on starting" message.

Any help with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
0
ptd (5)

Are there any messages in the event log?
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"ptd" <ptd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running a Windows 2000 AD domain with Windows 2003 and Windows 2000
> member servers.  I have Exchange 2000 running on one of the 2000 member
> servers.
>
> The Windows Server 2003 version of ADPrep/forestprep and ADPrep/domainprep
> have been run against the domain and replicated successfully without error
> and I have not had any problems adding 2003 member servers to the domain.
>
> I would like to now upgrade the Exchange and OS of the Exchange member
> server to versions 2003.  I am hesitant to start the process since there
> is
> an issue with the starting of the system attendant.
>
> Ever since the Server 2003 ADPrep was run against the domain there are
> three
> services that will not start automatically.  However, if I log into the
> desktop of the Exchange server I can start them manually.  The services
> are
> the System Attendant, the MTA stacks and the Information Store.  I'm
> pretty
> sure the MTA and the IS are dependent on the SA and that is the one with
> the
> problem.  The weird thing is that I am not changing the startup account.
> I'm
> just starting the services manually.  So, in order to reboot the server I
> must disable those services, reboot, login, enable those services and then
> start them.  If I try to reboot the server without disabling them the SA
> hangs on starting and I must disable it in the registry and reboot again
> get it back so I can manually start it.  The event log just gives me a
> generic "service hung on starting" message.
>
> Any help with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

0
curspice6401 (3487)
10/9/2006 6:23:28 PM
None, other than
The event log just gives me a
generic "service hung on starting" message.

This only happens when I let the service try to start automatically.  If I
start it manually I only get the standard "startup successful" messages.

I had heard that it may be related to the 2003 Windows ADPREP changing the
ability to anonymously traverse folders in AD so the service doesn't know if
it is authorized until it has a valid (logged in) connection to the domain.
But I don't know where to look for that.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Are there any messages in the event log?
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "ptd" <ptd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running a Windows 2000 AD domain with Windows 2003 and Windows 2000
> > member servers.  I have Exchange 2000 running on one of the 2000 member
> > servers.
> >
> > The Windows Server 2003 version of ADPrep/forestprep and ADPrep/domainprep
> > have been run against the domain and replicated successfully without error
> > and I have not had any problems adding 2003 member servers to the domain.
> >
> > I would like to now upgrade the Exchange and OS of the Exchange member
> > server to versions 2003.  I am hesitant to start the process since there
> > is
> > an issue with the starting of the system attendant.
> >
> > Ever since the Server 2003 ADPrep was run against the domain there are
> > three
> > services that will not start automatically.  However, if I log into the
> > desktop of the Exchange server I can start them manually.  The services
> > are
> > the System Attendant, the MTA stacks and the Information Store.  I'm
> > pretty
> > sure the MTA and the IS are dependent on the SA and that is the one with
> > the
> > problem.  The weird thing is that I am not changing the startup account.
> > I'm
> > just starting the services manually.  So, in order to reboot the server I
> > must disable those services, reboot, login, enable those services and then
> > start them.  If I try to reboot the server without disabling them the SA
> > hangs on starting and I must disable it in the registry and reboot again
> > get it back so I can manually start it.  The event log just gives me a
> > generic "service hung on starting" message.
> >
> > Any help with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,

0
ptd (5)
10/9/2006 8:29:02 PM

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Are there any messages in the event log?
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "ptd" <ptd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running a Windows 2000 AD domain with Windows 2003 and Windows 2000
> > member servers.  I have Exchange 2000 running on one of the 2000 member
> > servers.
> >
> > The Windows Server 2003 version of ADPrep/forestprep and ADPrep/domainprep
> > have been run against the domain and replicated successfully without error
> > and I have not had any problems adding 2003 member servers to the domain.
> >
> > I would like to now upgrade the Exchange and OS of the Exchange member
> > server to versions 2003.  I am hesitant to start the process since there
> > is
> > an issue with the starting of the system attendant.
> >
> > Ever since the Server 2003 ADPrep was run against the domain there are
> > three
> > services that will not start automatically.  However, if I log into the
> > desktop of the Exchange server I can start them manually.  The services
> > are
> > the System Attendant, the MTA stacks and the Information Store.  I'm
> > pretty
> > sure the MTA and the IS are dependent on the SA and that is the one with
> > the
> > problem.  The weird thing is that I am not changing the startup account.
> > I'm
> > just starting the services manually.  So, in order to reboot the server I
> > must disable those services, reboot, login, enable those services and then
> > start them.  If I try to reboot the server without disabling them the SA
> > hangs on starting and I must disable it in the registry and reboot again
> > get it back so I can manually start it.  The event log just gives me a
> > generic "service hung on starting" message.
> >
> > Any help with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,

0
ptd (5)
10/9/2006 8:30:01 PM

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Are there any messages in the event log?
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "ptd" <ptd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running a Windows 2000 AD domain with Windows 2003 and Windows 2000
> > member servers.  I have Exchange 2000 running on one of the 2000 member
> > servers.
> >
> > The Windows Server 2003 version of ADPrep/forestprep and ADPrep/domainprep
> > have been run against the domain and replicated successfully without error
> > and I have not had any problems adding 2003 member servers to the domain.
> >
> > I would like to now upgrade the Exchange and OS of the Exchange member
> > server to versions 2003.  I am hesitant to start the process since there
> > is
> > an issue with the starting of the system attendant.
> >
> > Ever since the Server 2003 ADPrep was run against the domain there are
> > three
> > services that will not start automatically.  However, if I log into the
> > desktop of the Exchange server I can start them manually.  The services
> > are
> > the System Attendant, the MTA stacks and the Information Store.  I'm
> > pretty
> > sure the MTA and the IS are dependent on the SA and that is the one with
> > the
> > problem.  The weird thing is that I am not changing the startup account.
> > I'm
> > just starting the services manually.  So, in order to reboot the server I
> > must disable those services, reboot, login, enable those services and then
> > start them.  If I try to reboot the server without disabling them the SA
> > hangs on starting and I must disable it in the registry and reboot again
> > get it back so I can manually start it.  The event log just gives me a
> > generic "service hung on starting" message.
> >
> > Any help with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,

0
ptd (5)
10/9/2006 9:01:01 PM
I've seen that happen before, and I haven't worried about it since I seldom
stop and restart Exchange servers (except in the lab).  If it really bothers
you one thing you can do is edit the registry and increase the startup
timeout period for the service.
--

> None, other than
> The event log just gives me a
> generic "service hung on starting" message.
>
> This only happens when I let the service try to start automatically.  If I
> start it manually I only get the standard "startup successful" messages.
>
> I had heard that it may be related to the 2003 Windows ADPREP changing the
> ability to anonymously traverse folders in AD so the service doesn't know
> if
> it is authorized until it has a valid (logged in) connection to the
> domain.
> But I don't know where to look for that.
>

> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are there any messages in the event log?
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "ptd" <ptd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am running a Windows 2000 AD domain with Windows 2003 and Windows 2000
>> > member servers.  I have Exchange 2000 running on one of the 2000 member
>> > servers.
>> >
>> > The Windows Server 2003 version of ADPrep/forestprep and
>> > ADPrep/domainprep
>> > have been run against the domain and replicated successfully without
>> > error
>> > and I have not had any problems adding 2003 member servers to the
>> > domain.
>> >
>> > I would like to now upgrade the Exchange and OS of the Exchange member
>> > server to versions 2003.  I am hesitant to start the process since
>> > there
>> > is
>> > an issue with the starting of the system attendant.
>> >
>> > Ever since the Server 2003 ADPrep was run against the domain there are
>> > three
>> > services that will not start automatically.  However, if I log into the
>> > desktop of the Exchange server I can start them manually.  The services
>> > are
>> > the System Attendant, the MTA stacks and the Information Store.  I'm
>> > pretty
>> > sure the MTA and the IS are dependent on the SA and that is the one
>> > with
>> > the
>> > problem.  The weird thing is that I am not changing the startup
>> > account.
>> > I'm
>> > just starting the services manually.  So, in order to reboot the server
>> > must disable those services, reboot, login, enable those services and
>> > then
>> > start them.  If I try to reboot the server without disabling them the
>> > SA
>> > hangs on starting and I must disable it in the registry and reboot
>> > again
>> > get it back so I can manually start it.  The event log just gives me a
>> > generic "service hung on starting" message.
>> >
>> > Any help with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Automatic Files Saves
In previous versions of Excel it was possible to setup periodic automatic saves that would prompt the user to save. I am not looking for the auto-recovery save. Is there an add-in or update that can be installed to do the same thing in Version 2002. ...

log off in start menu
With XP sp3 home edition is there any way to get rid of the "log off" in the Start Menu and still have the classic blue shut down window when you shut down. I'd much prefer to keep the blue shut down window rather than have the Drop Down window appear with all the options. bandi wrote: > With XP sp3 home edition is there any way to get rid of the "log off" in the > Start Menu and still have the classic blue shut down window when you shut > down. I'd much prefer to keep the blue shut down window rather than have > the Drop Down win...

Media Player start
After catching a virus and installing Sophos antivirus, WMP 11 will not work. Double-clicking the icon does nothing--Not even an error message. No other link to WMP does anything. Nothing even appears in Task manager's applications or processes when it is clicked. System Restore doesn't have a restore point at an early enough date. Any help would be great. Thanks Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Professional XML for .NET Developers [WROX] http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/0a80b016-65ca-49fc-8e73-55b070281e56/professional-xml-for-net....

Rules only work when I first start Outlook 2003
Hi all. I have a problem with my rules in Outlook 2003. I've upgraded from OL XP, and now my rules only seem to work when I first start up OL 2003 and it checks my mail. I'm using several POP accounts and I want the mails moved to specific folders depending on the mail account they come in on. The rules worked fine when I was running OL XP, but now they only run on the first mail check as soon as I open OL. Any subsequent mail checks, either automatic (every 5 mins) or manual just sends any new mail to the Inbox. I have read about an OL prob where the rules don't work on the fir...

Automatic resizing of cell
I use Excel for my job. When I enter a long text sentence into a cell that is larger than the cell, it gets covered up because the text wrapping is on. I want the sentence to wrap around to the next line, but Excel doesn't automatically adjust the size of the cell when it sees that the text is longer. I end up printing out my work and only half of the sentence is there. I can resize it myself, but I want Excel to resize it when it sees that it's covering it. I can't see why anyone would actually WANT Excel to cover it up. Which version of Excel are you using. I'm u...

Program an automatic creation of an UML attributes
Please, I want to program an application which creates an UML class and add attributs to the class. I have done it but it modifies only the text of attributs. When we double clik to the created class, nothing appears. please response at zmmail@web.de thx a lot ...

System.Xml in MFC
I tried to use System.Xml in MFC. Unfortunately, it turns out that all of System.Xml is set as COM-invisible. Therefore, my regasm gives me an empty type library. So my questions are: 1) Why was System.Xml marked as COM-invisible? 2) How do I go after using System.Xml in my MFC app anyways (some sample code would be great)? 3) What would the disadvantages/problems be using System.Xml in an MFC app although it was marked COM-invisible? Thanks >1) Why was System.Xml marked as COM-invisible? It's generally a good practice to mark an assembly non-visible to COM unless you fully test a...

exchange will not start, error directory service cannot start
after a power outage, my server would not boot. Found that three of the hard drives were offline, (raid 5 with five disks) Called dell, brought two back online and did a rebuild on the last one that was offline. They are all online but when I boot it up I get this error: Security accounts manager initialization failed because of the following error: Directory Service cannot start. Error status: 0xc00002e1. Please shutdown and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode. I have been on hold with MS tech ....... -- Glenn MCP A+ Network Admin MBBC ...

help wanted in updating worksheet automatically
Could you please help us with an excel query. We have an excel file with fields in a random order. The values in these fields have to be picked up and arranged one below the other in a separate area. The values to be picked up always have a fixed cell address. Awaiting reply Elle How about just selecting the range, copy it, paste it to its new location. Then select that new range and do Data|Sort? Madhu wrote: > > Could you please help us with an excel query. > > We have an excel file with fields in a random order. > > The values in these fields have to be pic...

Multiple weeks old Logons in System Manager
Is there a reason why there are multiple logons in System Manager under the Mailbox Store that are weeks old? Is there a way to disconnect them other then restarting the Infomration Store? "1BigMess" <1BigMess@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a reason why there are multiple logons in System Manager under the Mailbox Store that are weeks old? Is there a way to disconnect them other then restarting the Infomration Store? Not that I know of (although I wish there were). But why do you want to do that? -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at htt...

IInternetProtocol Start Method not working correctly
Hello, I've been searching and searching and found nothing to help me out. Here's my situation: I need to capture URL Requests (clicks or address bar entries) and if it matches a specific URL like "http://somedomain.com/blorg.exe" I want to be able to intercept that and tell IE i'll take care of it myself, OR, if it does not pass my criteria, let IE handle the click. I DO NOT want to register my own protocol like mark://somedomain.com/.... I need to be able to look at the whole URL This is what I've done so far: I have created a namespacehandler in the HKCR are...

.Net generated MDI apps not starting in Explorer
I have ported my MFC based apps from VS6/MFC6 to .Net/MFC7 and found that I can no longer start MDI type apps by double clicking their associated documents in the Windows Explorer, whereas SDI apps open up fine as before. The same even goes for a simple MDI skeleton app created with the AppWizard in .Net. The documents are being properly registered in the registry, but it seems as if the MDI apps are not being forwarded the clicked document file name. Consequently the MDI frame window does not show, though the app is listed as running in the processes view. Any ideas what could be mis...

adding numbers in an excell chart automatically
How to create an ongoing addition of numbers in an excell chart. Or sum of Numbers I should Say. I need the info for work. I think there is an easier way than how I am doing it. Worksheets are the things to use for adding numbers. That's not what a chart is designed to do. -- David Biddulph "sanicay" <sanicay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E94E1035-DC2C-4698-AC32-3439BDB2BDA6@microsoft.com... > How to create an ongoing addition of numbers in an excell chart. Or sum of > Numbers I should Say. I need the info for work. I think there is an >...

How to automatically delete msgs. w/ a specific attachment?
Platforms: Exchange 2000/Outlook 2000 Like everyone, our system has been hit with the Mydoom virus. My A/V software has done a very good job blocking the virus, but there is no way to prevent the cleaned messages from being delivered to the users. This has become very annoying to some users who are receiving dozens of these messages per day. I would like a way to prevent these messages from being delivered to the users. Since all messages which have had a virus removed have an attachment named "Replaced Infected File.txt" inserted in them by the A/V software, I would like to cr...

automatically deleting messages in the SPAM folder
In the Outlook Express 6 I am using, there are two separate folders named 1) Deleted items and 2) SpamMails. The messages in the Deleted messages get automatically deleted when O E 6 is closed. But the messages in the Spam Folder (even if deleted) are moved by O E 6 into the Deleted items Folder and since I want to see them removed from the system, I have to delete them, once again. Is there any way, O E 6 can be asked to automatically delete all the messages in the Spam folder? O E 6 also asks me every time it is closed if I want to compact all messages to save space bla bla,...

Transparent bitmap in system context menu
Hi. My application adds it's menu to the system context menu. How can I make it's bitmap transparent? 'SetMenuItemBitmaps' function doesn't take a mast for the bitmap. Thanks in advance Martin "Martin" <martin-g@mail.ru> wrote in message news:1174642958.411429.136360@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > My application adds it's menu to the system context menu. How can I > make it's bitmap transparent? 'SetMenuItemBitmaps' function doesn't > take a mast for the bitmap. White areas on a bitmap used by SetMenuItemBitmaps are d...

System Job Stuck Waiting
We are working on an Internet facing deployment of CRM 4.0. The routine system jobs are stuck waiting. Originally we were getting an error related to unable to connect to the public IP address of the server. After updating all of the URLs in the DeploymentProperty database to point to the public domain name that error was replaced by this one. Both have error code 80044306 (-2,147,204,346) but now we are getting an HTTP 401 error. We've tried renaming the organization's friendly name - removing spaces but still no luck. The ASYNC service is running as Network Service and we tr...

System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 403: Forbidden
I have crm 3.0 installed on Windows server 2003 with sp1 and I have problem. When I opennnig the crm web site I see error... please help... Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- The request failed with HTTP status 403: Forbidden. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: ...

I think this new Pay Per system is crazy
http://getpaidforeveryvistor.googlepages.com/home is the hottest new way for publishers to get paid off per play on there page... http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/topics So every visitor you make money not per click. And now become an affiliate while there is still time.. Decide for yourself>>> http://getpaidforeveryvistor.googlepages.com/home ...

System Attendant and SystemMailbox
In the course of accidentally deleting several users from AD, I noticed that I have mailboxes for 'System Attendant', 'SystemMailbox', and 'SMTP (servername)', but cannot remember if these were also default built-in users in AD that I deleted. Do these mailboxes need to have corresponding user accounts in AD, and if so, how do I re-create them properly? Thanks for your time. After running Cleanup Agent, it appears that SystemMailbox is the only mailbox that is missing and AD user account. Does anyone know how I would re-create this account in AD? "Holo20&q...

Money won't start #3
When I double-click Money, it opens initially, but then after a couple of seconds, it closes. This is before I see any logon or even any splash screen. Money used to work on this computer, a few weeks ago, but now it doesn't. I have installed several programs on the computer, most recently Google Earth, but I don't know exactly when the program stopped working. However, I believe it stopped working when I detached the external hard drive where I had my primary Money file. I copied the Money file to the internal hard drive on my laptop, but even if I double click that, Money ...

clearing Automatic Naming in the 'To' field
In Outlook, when you click on the 'To' field and start typing the email address, a drop-down list appears to choose a name or email to complete the address (if the address has been used before) or the line will automatically complete if only one matching name has been used before. Sometimes email addresses change, so an option being presented on the line or in the drop-down list may no longer be valid. How do I clear the list of old names or email addresses that are no longer valid addresses. I know I can turn off automatic naming in the advanced e-mail options but I don...

Automatic Replies and Forwards..
Automatic replies and automatic forwards to Internet recipients are disabled in Exchange 2000 Server and in Exchange Server 2003. What is the argument for keeping this default? What are the security risks specifically? Any advice or suggestions on this would be greatly appreicated. Thanks, Dana .... you're letting spammers know your email addresses are valid, mail loops... (auto-reply to internet recipient generates an auto-reply to which you auto-reply again... anon) -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ---------------------------------------...

Exchange Services Starting
Exchange 2K on Win2K Server This is a "backup" Exchange Server, so the services should not start unless I ask them to, so all of my Exchange services are set to "Manual". Recently, I lost a drive in my array. Since I rebuilt the array my System Attendant service keep starting as soon as I connect to the network, even though its set to Manual. It doesn't do anything if I pull the network cable or if I set the service to Disabled. The Dependent Services are just MTA Stacks and Information Store. While I can just keep the service disabled, I have a fear that this...

reacurance task to have automaticly a reminder
When I have task set to reacurre, when I mare it done it would regenarate but with out a reminder. Any help would be appriciated. ( I allreade posted this in another trend (How do I setup daily reminders with task) ...