Exchange to capture pop3 outgoing mail

it is possible to capture all outgoing emails on Exchange if the client is
using pop3.  it is very important that I’m able to capture a copy of all
outgoing email. So I would set outlook to use the exchange server as the
outgoing smtp server.

Thanks,
Steve Louie

0
SteveLouie (25)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:21:05 -0700, Steve Louie
<SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>it is possible to capture all outgoing emails on Exchange if the client is
>using pop3.  it is very important that I�m able to capture a copy of all
>outgoing email. So I would set outlook to use the exchange server as the
>outgoing smtp server.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve Louie

Are they using your Exch Servers to send?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871110
"How to install and use the Archive Sink utility in Exchange Server
2003"

I'll assume 2003.

0
adavid (8731)
3/21/2007 6:51:50 PM
To elaborate on what Andy said, POP3 users send mail using SMTP, so you must
catch the SMTP mail.  The client's configuration determines where users are
sending the SMTP mail.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Andy David {MVP}" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:21:05 -0700, Steve Louie
> <SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>it is possible to capture all outgoing emails on Exchange if the client is
>>using pop3.  it is very important that I'm able to capture a copy of all
>>outgoing email. So I would set outlook to use the exchange server as the
>>outgoing smtp server.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Steve Louie
>>

> Are they using your Exch Servers to send?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871110
> "How to install and use the Archive Sink utility in Exchange Server
> 2003"
>
> I'll assume 2003.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/21/2007 7:29:38 PM
yes, Exchange and outlook 2003.
I am intending to use my exchange server as the SMTP server for all my
outlook client settings and my ISP POP3 as my POP3 server.  I want to be able
to retain a copy of all outgoing mails from all my outlook clients (maybe to
a specific mailbox) so the admin can review them if needed.  kind of like a
catch all for outgoing mail. I know there's copy of it in the Sent Items
mailbox but I need copy saved into a general mailbox (or something samilor)
for legal reasons.

Steve
"Andy David {MVP}" wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:21:05 -0700, Steve Louie
> <SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >it is possible to capture all outgoing emails on Exchange if the client is
> >using pop3.  it is very important that I’m able to capture a copy of all
> >outgoing email. So I would set outlook to use the exchange server as the
> >outgoing smtp server.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Steve Louie
> >

> Are they using your Exch Servers to send?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871110
> "How to install and use the Archive Sink utility in Exchange Server
> 2003"
>
> I'll assume 2003.

0
SteveLouie (25)
3/22/2007 2:56:00 AM
Why don't you save yourself a lot of pain and just have your mail sent to
Exchange?  We get lots of posts from people who are having trouble trying to
use Exchange as some minor part of their e-mail solution.  It usually
doesn't work very well.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Steve Louie" <SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> yes, Exchange and outlook 2003.
> I am intending to use my exchange server as the SMTP server for all my
> outlook client settings and my ISP POP3 as my POP3 server.  I want to be
> able
> to retain a copy of all outgoing mails from all my outlook clients (maybe
> a specific mailbox) so the admin can review them if needed.  kind of like
> catch all for outgoing mail. I know there's copy of it in the Sent Items
> mailbox but I need copy saved into a general mailbox (or something
> samilor)
> for legal reasons.
>
> Steve
> "Andy David {MVP}" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:21:05 -0700, Steve Louie
>> <SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >it is possible to capture all outgoing emails on Exchange if the client
>> >is
>> >using pop3.  it is very important that I'm able to capture a copy of all
>> >outgoing email. So I would set outlook to use the exchange server as the
>> >outgoing smtp server.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Steve Louie
>> >

>> Are they using your Exch Servers to send?
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871110
>> "How to install and use the Archive Sink utility in Exchange Server
>> 2003"
>>
>> I'll assume 2003.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/22/2007 6:51:30 AM
i can't and that's another subject but i need to figure out how to get all
the outgoing mails into one place. how do you setup exchange to capture all
outgoing mail?  I can use the Exchange Server setting as the defalut and
change the default SMTP address to my POP3 address.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Why don't you save yourself a lot of pain and just have your mail sent to
> Exchange?  We get lots of posts from people who are having trouble trying to
> use Exchange as some minor part of their e-mail solution.  It usually
> doesn't work very well.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Steve Louie" <SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > yes, Exchange and outlook 2003.
> > I am intending to use my exchange server as the SMTP server for all my
> > outlook client settings and my ISP POP3 as my POP3 server.  I want to be
> > able
> > to retain a copy of all outgoing mails from all my outlook clients (maybe
> > a specific mailbox) so the admin can review them if needed.  kind of like
> > catch all for outgoing mail. I know there's copy of it in the Sent Items
> > mailbox but I need copy saved into a general mailbox (or something
> > samilor)
> > for legal reasons.
> >
> > Steve
> > "Andy David {MVP}" wrote:

> >> Are they using your Exch Servers to send?
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871110
> >> "How to install and use the Archive Sink utility in Exchange Server
> >> 2003"
> >>
> >> I'll assume 2003.

0
SteveLouie (25)
3/22/2007 7:00:38 PM
Have your users use two clients, say Outlook for Exchange and Outlook
Express for POP mail.  That'll go a long way to keeping your users from
sending using the wrong messaging service.
--

>i can't and that's another subject but i need to figure out how to get all
> the outgoing mails into one place. how do you setup exchange to capture
> all
> outgoing mail?  I can use the Exchange Server setting as the defalut and
> change the default SMTP address to my POP3 address.
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Why don't you save yourself a lot of pain and just have your mail sent to
>> Exchange?  We get lots of posts from people who are having trouble trying
>> use Exchange as some minor part of their e-mail solution.  It usually
>> doesn't work very well.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Steve Louie" <SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > yes, Exchange and outlook 2003.
>> > I am intending to use my exchange server as the SMTP server for all my
>> > outlook client settings and my ISP POP3 as my POP3 server.  I want to
>> > be
>> > able
>> > to retain a copy of all outgoing mails from all my outlook clients
>> > (maybe
>> > a specific mailbox) so the admin can review them if needed.  kind of
>> > like
>> > catch all for outgoing mail. I know there's copy of it in the Sent
>> > Items
>> > mailbox but I need copy saved into a general mailbox (or something
>> > samilor)
>> > for legal reasons.
>> >
>> > Steve

0
curspice6401 (3487)

warning mail then password Expired
Hi, I was thinking is there a way, that you can get a warning email 5 days before your user password on the domaine expires ?? "Driogan" <Peter@driogan.dk> wrote in message news:98b39d3f-474a-4b05-8f8a-073f030ea57a@r60g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Hi, I was thinking is there a way, that you can get a warning email 5 > days before your user password on the domaine expires ?? There's already a warning that can be set when the User logs on....... On 27 Nov., 11:41, "Gordon" <gbpli...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote: > "Driogan" <Pe...@dr...

One-Time Multiple Mailing Issue
In Outlook 2007 I would like to mass mail about twenty recipients but do not need to maintain contacts. How can I configure this so that each recieves an email with their email address only. You can put all the addresses in the BCC field then. Depending on where you have written down the addresses, you can also use a mail merge or reply via a rule. For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/mailmerge.htm and http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/messagetemplates.htm#rules -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.ho...

Exchange 2000 DST Changes

Restoring Exchange 2000 cluster to "standard" Exchange 2000 Enterp
Hi all, At the moment we are creating a "full" test environment built from backup tapes from our live environment. DC's are all up and running. Our 2000 native forest exists out of a top domain and 2 child domains. All DC's are running 2000 SP3 as well as the Exchange servers. Exchange servers are located in the child domains. In one of the child domains which is NL.top.net we have an Exchange cluster, 2 nodes active/active eg. These would be EX01 and EX02 and running EX04 and EX05. Since we unfortunately do not have a SAN in our test site I will not be able to do a DR...

The Links from e-mails don't work
If I copy the links and insert it into IE 8 it reads it. Trying to link over from an e-mail directly is not working. If I copy the link and go to IE 8.0 the link (URL address) works. It was working before. pgman27 You mean if you click on the link in a message it does nothing, not even an error message? Are you certain IE has all its defaults? Open the Default Programs applet, which you can access either from the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item: "Set your default programs." After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Click on...

OL2003 (Exchange) and OE6 running in the same PC
We are currently upgrading our OS from W98SE to WinXP. Our VP is using Netscape v4.67 with dial-up to access his personal email from the ISP and Novell Groupwise for his internal corporate email. With the new WinXP, he will be authenticate to Active Directory and using Exchange 2003 (Outlook 2003) for corporate email. (Yep, no more Groupwise!!) I want to move him away from Netscape to OE6 (built-in with XP pro). During my test in the lab, for some reasons I can't have OE6 and OL2003 running at the same time. (I can launch either one but not both at the same time) He wants OE6 as his...

Exchange 2003 OWA #6
Exchange 2003 OWA I would appreciate if someone would be able to help me. When I'm trying to access Exchange 2003 Server via OWA, I'm getting error "The folder can't be displayed. You do not have permission to perform this action" We also running Microsoft ISA Server. Thanks ...

Exchange Connector Wizard error

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 upgrade issue 3

NNTP move to Exchange?
Hi, I'm having a problem with getting a NNTP feed from a INND 2.2.1 server to Exchange 2003; are there any known issues here? Has anyone done this type of migration before? What issues did you encounter? It seems as if Exchange just wants to pull down a few of the groups (of which we have over 100 internal) and even with that, not even pull all of the messages in from those few groups (it usually gets a few hundred messages). I'm using the basic NNTP wizards but everything looks to be configured correctly. Thanks, Dan ...

Outlook Live 2003 re: reply to msg sent to different e-mail account
Issue: I want a different e-mail account to display to recipient I'm just subscribed to Outlook Live and using Outlook 2003. I simply want to configure Outlook 2003 as I have my Outlook Express configured (ie receipient sees the same "reply to" e-mail address no matter which e-mail account I use to send the original e-mail). For my POP3 account, I easily configued Outlook 2003 to work using a different "reply to" address. However, for the Hotmail account (http radio button) I don't have the same options available to change the "reply to" address. Rev...

How do I setup an SMTP gateway / smart host for Exchange 5.5 internet bound mail
My current setup has a Windows NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 server setting on our company LAN behind a Microsoft ISA Server. The Exchange server's Internet Mail Connector binds to (I assume this is the proper terms) port 25 on the ISA server for inbound and outbound Internet Mail. Our company has finally upgraded to a new Cisco Pix Firewall which we are able to setup a DMZ on. The suggestion by our ISP is to setup an SMTP gateway in the DMZ and have our internal Exchange server send mail to it destined for the Internet. I am aware that most of the work for making the connections from the SMTP ...

Dropped connection to POP3 servers
Just installed Office 2003 under XP Home. Outlook is dropping connection to POP3 servers, I check 2 different servers with a S/R. Both fail at the same time, never separately. Sometimes I can exit Outlook gracefully but a reboot is required to get Outlook to work again. Sometimes locks entire system and have to powerdown manually. Pattern not fully determined but it appears to happen when there is other activity to the internet that is going to specific servers using an ID and password. I use Medved Quotetracker with E*Trade quotes (requires ID). If I bring up Quotetracker, Ou...

Mail Merge Printing collated
When I print a mail merge (I don't use it for mailings and envelopes), Publisher prints out the first 5 records as an individual document then the next 5 as a seperate document, and so forth. Since I often need to make multiple copies of these documents, I end up having to collate them by hand. How can I get Publisher to print the entire merge as one document before printing the second, third, copy? I believe when I had P'03 it would print that way, but when I upgraded to '07 this problem started. You can't... Maybe later with a service pack these printing bugs will b...

Video mail VEMAIL.EXE
Just installed VEMAIL.EXE v1.1 and get the message "The fatal error occured" Any tip on how to get this plug in working ? Hi Ant Give up on it - the add-in doesn't work. >-----Original Message----- >Just installed VEMAIL.EXE > v1.1 and get the message "The fatal error occured" >Any tip on how to get this plug in working ? >. > ...

make outlook automatically delete html mail with linked images
The junk mail filter should be able to automatically delete html mail with linked images ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9e1b783b-c9c1-44f2-a1dd-93da59216c56&dg=microsoft.public.outloo...

Outlook won't conect to Exchange
Client: XP pro, Office 2003 Pro Server: Server 2003 I cannot get a client's Outlook to connect to Exchange server--or at least I THINK that's the issue. I have tried everything that I and the sys admin can think of. We've even uninstalled and re-installed the whole of Office. Out of desparation, I tried something that I thought would probably not have any impact, but it worked--temporarily. I deleted the use's mail profile, and the application opened and displayed all the users mail! I thought I was pretty close to being home free, so then I closed Outlook and re-opened...

Retrieve old e-mails
I recently had a hard drive crash on me and had to have the data recovered through a data recovery specialist. All the data on my old drive was recovered and put onto my new hard drive. I did have to install WindowsXP on the new drive. I want to know how to get the e-mails I had in my inbox folder from the files from the old drive so I can respond to them as there were some which had not been read and others which were of importance. Thanks for the help, Brian Brian <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I recently had a hard drive crash on me and had to have > the...

Curious Mail Loop (and brain teaser)
I just experienced an enigmatic mail looping issue, anybody have any ideas to keep this from happening again? Here is the Scenario... We have a user whom works for my organization and another government agency, both organizations use Exchange 2000 but there is no interoperability between our systems other than standard SMTP email through the internet, not same AD root, forest or even remotely similar namespace. We are able to induce a loop under the following conditions.: 1. User has an exchange mailbox at both Organization A & Organization B 2. User creates an "Out of the Off...

Exchange Server C Drive No free space
Hi All, Need some advise. The Exchange Server during certain times C Drive will not have free space. I have check that during that period there is a temp file which will increase in size and takes up all the disk space in C. The file will not have any extension (the file name ex. T232C or R408). When this happened, the Exchange MTA service will stop, users will not able to send email. I have rum Spyware scan, Virus Scan, Online Virus scan, all seems to be cleaned). Anyone experience this before? Thanks in Advance for the help. -- Danny Chieng Technical Engineer On Wed, 26 Jul 2006...