Exchange tabs missing on 2 other 2003 DC's

I have a simple question (I hope)

I used to have a 2000 GC with exchange 2000 on it.  I have now moved to a
2003 domain and have migrated to Exchange 2003.  This is all on 1 server, and
I know "now" that having the GC on the Exchange server is not a good idea
(but we all make due on a limited budget).  I have just recently added 2 DC
in a hope to move the GC off of the exchange server.

Here is my question: Why are the Exchange tabs missing from the 2 other
DC’s?  I was under the impression that I did not have to install the Exchange
management tools on the other DC’s. If this is the case then I am relieved
because I do not have a replication error or a schema problem.

Other then that is there a good way to move the GC to one of the other DC?
With out Exchange having an issue?

0
Captain (19)

you have to install the exchange management tools on the other DCs.

You control whether or not a system is a GC with AD Sites & Services.  Make
them all a GC or make just the non-Exchange servers a GC.

"captain" <captain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a simple question (I hope)
>
> I used to have a 2000 GC with exchange 2000 on it.  I have now moved to a
> 2003 domain and have migrated to Exchange 2003.  This is all on 1 server,
> and
> I know "now" that having the GC on the Exchange server is not a good idea
> (but we all make due on a limited budget).  I have just recently added 2
> DC
> in a hope to move the GC off of the exchange server.
>
> Here is my question: Why are the Exchange tabs missing from the 2 other
> DC's?  I was under the impression that I did not have to install the
> Exchange
> management tools on the other DC's. If this is the case then I am relieved
> because I do not have a replication error or a schema problem.
>
> Other then that is there a good way to move the GC to one of the other DC?
> With out Exchange having an issue?

0
awebb7472 (650)
2/21/2006 4:47:13 AM
That still won't help the fact that Exchange will never use them though...

When Exchange is installed on a GC, it will only use itself and will never
fail over to another GC.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
> you have to install the exchange management tools on the other DCs.
>
> You control whether or not a system is a GC with AD Sites & Services.
> Make them all a GC or make just the non-Exchange servers a GC.
>
> "captain" <captain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a simple question (I hope)
>>
>> I used to have a 2000 GC with exchange 2000 on it.  I have now moved to a
>> 2003 domain and have migrated to Exchange 2003.  This is all on 1 server,
>> and
>> I know "now" that having the GC on the Exchange server is not a good idea
>> (but we all make due on a limited budget).  I have just recently added 2
>> DC
>> in a hope to move the GC off of the exchange server.
>>
>> Here is my question: Why are the Exchange tabs missing from the 2 other
>> DC's?  I was under the impression that I did not have to install the
>> Exchange
>> management tools on the other DC's. If this is the case then I am
>> relieved
>> because I do not have a replication error or a schema problem.
>>
>> Other then that is there a good way to move the GC to one of the other
>> DC?
>> With out Exchange having an issue?

0
Ben
2/21/2006 2:33:37 PM
So what are my options to resolve this?

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> That still won't help the fact that Exchange will never use them though...
>
> When Exchange is installed on a GC, it will only use itself and will never
> fail over to another GC.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
> > you have to install the exchange management tools on the other DCs.
> >
> > You control whether or not a system is a GC with AD Sites & Services.
> > Make them all a GC or make just the non-Exchange servers a GC.
> >
> > "captain" <captain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have a simple question (I hope)
> >>
> >> I used to have a 2000 GC with exchange 2000 on it.  I have now moved to a
> >> 2003 domain and have migrated to Exchange 2003.  This is all on 1 server,
> >> and
> >> I know "now" that having the GC on the Exchange server is not a good idea
> >> (but we all make due on a limited budget).  I have just recently added 2
> >> DC
> >> in a hope to move the GC off of the exchange server.
> >>
> >> Here is my question: Why are the Exchange tabs missing from the 2 other
> >> DC's?  I was under the impression that I did not have to install the
> >> Exchange
> >> management tools on the other DC's. If this is the case then I am
> >> relieved
> >> because I do not have a replication error or a schema problem.
> >>
> >> Other then that is there a good way to move the GC to one of the other
> >> DC?
> >> With out Exchange having an issue?

0
Captain (19)
2/21/2006 6:46:27 PM
There is no "easy" way out of this.  One method would be the following:

1.  Bring up another (temporary) Exchange server.
2.  Move all mailboxes and replicate all public folders to this server.
3.  Uninstall Exchange from primary Exchange server.
4.  Run dcpromo and remove AD from primary server.
5.  Install Exchange
6.  Move all mailboxes and replicate all PF's back to primary server.
7.  Uninstall Exchange from temp server and decommission (remove from
domain, etc).

Bottom line - it's a PAIN to do this.

The other option is to make sure you have a good backup (I'd do an offline
backup of the databases) and then do the following:
1.  Uninstall Exchange
2.  Run dcpromo
3.  Install Exchange
4.  Restore from backup, but do NOT restore the system stat, ONLY the
Exchange databases.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> So what are my options to resolve this?
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> That still won't help the fact that Exchange will never use them
>> though...
>>
>> When Exchange is installed on a GC, it will only use itself and will
>> never
>> fail over to another GC.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
>> > you have to install the exchange management tools on the other DCs.
>> >
>> > You control whether or not a system is a GC with AD Sites & Services.
>> > Make them all a GC or make just the non-Exchange servers a GC.
>> >
>> > "captain" <captain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Ben
2/21/2006 7:47:48 PM
Ok, is there an easy way to correct this or do I have to create a new GC and
seize the roles from that server.  Then just make it a DC?

Or do I have to do it the really hard way? Like create a new exchange
server, migrate users mail, go to each users system and change to the new
server and do it all with out causing any user downtime?

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> That still won't help the fact that Exchange will never use them though...
>
> When Exchange is installed on a GC, it will only use itself and will never
> fail over to another GC.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
> > you have to install the exchange management tools on the other DCs.
> >
> > You control whether or not a system is a GC with AD Sites & Services.
> > Make them all a GC or make just the non-Exchange servers a GC.
> >
> > "captain" <captain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have a simple question (I hope)
> >>
> >> I used to have a 2000 GC with exchange 2000 on it.  I have now moved to a
> >> 2003 domain and have migrated to Exchange 2003.  This is all on 1 server,
> >> and
> >> I know "now" that having the GC on the Exchange server is not a good idea
> >> (but we all make due on a limited budget).  I have just recently added 2
> >> DC
> >> in a hope to move the GC off of the exchange server.
> >>
> >> Here is my question: Why are the Exchange tabs missing from the 2 other
> >> DC's?  I was under the impression that I did not have to install the
> >> Exchange
> >> management tools on the other DC's. If this is the case then I am
> >> relieved
> >> because I do not have a replication error or a schema problem.
> >>
> >> Other then that is there a good way to move the GC to one of the other
> >> DC?
> >> With out Exchange having an issue?

0
Captain (19)
2/21/2006 7:50:26 PM
Ok, That is kinda what I knew I would have to do but was hopping for a way out.

1. Install a new temp exchange server (server 2)
2. Migrate mail to new server (server 2)
3. Uninstall exchange from the GC (server 1)
4. Seize FASO (??) for new GC (before I run dcpromo right?)
5. Remove AD from the old Exchange server. (server 1)
6. Install exchange back on to old server (server 1)
7. Move mail back to old server (server 1)
8. uninstall exchange from temp server (server 2)

I thought that AD needed to be on the exchange server though.  Am a wrong or
does it add it during the Exchange install?

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> There is no "easy" way out of this.  One method would be the following:
>
> 1.  Bring up another (temporary) Exchange server.
> 2.  Move all mailboxes and replicate all public folders to this server.
> 3.  Uninstall Exchange from primary Exchange server.
> 4.  Run dcpromo and remove AD from primary server.
> 5.  Install Exchange
> 6.  Move all mailboxes and replicate all PF's back to primary server.
> 7.  Uninstall Exchange from temp server and decommission (remove from
> domain, etc).
>
> Bottom line - it's a PAIN to do this.
>
> The other option is to make sure you have a good backup (I'd do an offline
> backup of the databases) and then do the following:
> 1.  Uninstall Exchange
> 2.  Run dcpromo
> 3.  Install Exchange
> 4.  Restore from backup, but do NOT restore the system stat, ONLY the
> Exchange databases.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "captain" <captain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So what are my options to resolve this?
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> That still won't help the fact that Exchange will never use them
> >> though...
> >>
> >> When Exchange is installed on a GC, it will only use itself and will
> >> never
> >> fail over to another GC.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben Winzenz
> >> Exchange MVP
> >> MessageOne
> >> Read my blog!
> >> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> >> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
> >>

> >> "andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message

0
Captain (19)
2/21/2006 8:04:30 PM
Please DON'T seize the FSMO roles.  They can be very easily transferred.
Seizing roles should only be done if a server is gone and never coming back.

You can use ntdsutil to transfer the roles, or you can simply transfer them
using the appropriate GUI.  There's a KB article on how to transfer each
role if you search the MS KB (don't have it at my fingertips).

Also, what do you mean by AD has to be on the Exchange server?  Obviously,
an Exchange server does not have to be a domain controller...

When you install Exchange, it will extend the ADUC snap-in to include
Exchange tasks and tabs.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> Ok, That is kinda what I knew I would have to do but was hopping for a way
> out.
>
> 1. Install a new temp exchange server (server 2)
> 2. Migrate mail to new server (server 2)
> 3. Uninstall exchange from the GC (server 1)
> 4. Seize FASO (??) for new GC (before I run dcpromo right?)
> 5. Remove AD from the old Exchange server. (server 1)
> 6. Install exchange back on to old server (server 1)
> 7. Move mail back to old server (server 1)
> 8. uninstall exchange from temp server (server 2)
>
> I thought that AD needed to be on the exchange server though.  Am a wrong
> or
> does it add it during the Exchange install?
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> There is no "easy" way out of this.  One method would be the following:
>>
>> 1.  Bring up another (temporary) Exchange server.
>> 2.  Move all mailboxes and replicate all public folders to this server.
>> 3.  Uninstall Exchange from primary Exchange server.
>> 4.  Run dcpromo and remove AD from primary server.
>> 5.  Install Exchange
>> 6.  Move all mailboxes and replicate all PF's back to primary server.
>> 7.  Uninstall Exchange from temp server and decommission (remove from
>> domain, etc).
>>
>> Bottom line - it's a PAIN to do this.
>>
>> The other option is to make sure you have a good backup (I'd do an
>> offline
>> backup of the databases) and then do the following:
>> 1.  Uninstall Exchange
>> 2.  Run dcpromo
>> 3.  Install Exchange
>> 4.  Restore from backup, but do NOT restore the system stat, ONLY the
>> Exchange databases.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "captain" <captain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > So what are my options to resolve this?

0
Ben
2/21/2006 9:33:32 PM
Ok, I will not seize the roles.  I will just transfer them.

I was under the impression that AD had to be installed on the server before
exchange was installed on it.

Thanks for the help on this.  Do you recommend any good resources to read
dealing with AD and Exchange?

> [...]

> >> 1.  Bring up another (temporary) Exchange server.
> >> 2.  Move all mailboxes and replicate all public folders to this server.
> >> 3.  Uninstall Exchange from primary Exchange server.
> >> 4.  Run dcpromo and remove AD from primary server.
> >> 5.  Install Exchange
> >> 6.  Move all mailboxes and replicate all PF's back to primary server.
> >> 7.  Uninstall Exchange from temp server and decommission (remove from
> >> domain, etc).
> >>
> >> Bottom line - it's a PAIN to do this.
> >>
> >> The other option is to make sure you have a good backup (I'd do an
> >> offline
> >> backup of the databases) and then do the following:
> >> 1.  Uninstall Exchange
> >> 2.  Run dcpromo
> >> 3.  Install Exchange
> >> 4.  Restore from backup, but do NOT restore the system stat, ONLY the

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Linking files 2 ways

More Columns #2

Invalid Account on the Security Tab
I deleted an account from AD, and it was listed under the security tab of my server (in ESM), to have full mailbox rights to the information store. I tried removing the inherited permissions, and removing the acct. The I set the inherited permissions back, and the invalid acct. comes back. Does anyone know how I can remove this invalid acct. from the security tab? Thanks. Remove it from the top-level where it was granted permissions. When you set inherited permissions and the account comes back, that means that that account has been granted permissions at a higher level. If you'v...

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Contacts in Exchange #2

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Goal Seek #2

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2

Pulling data from separate tabs

Strange Tab Key Behavior
I have a userform with about 20-30 textboxes. When users use the ta key to navigate, it will work, then all of a sudden just stop. The ta stays inside the textbox and tabs over spaces inside the userfor textbox, but it does not jump to the next box. This seems to b intermittent, if the user restarts the form, it goes away, bu eventually it sometimes returns to this weird behavior. Has anyon come across this, i am puzzled?? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com There's a tabkeybehavior property that sounds like is set to true for some and false for others. If you select t...

Formula for cross tab data filling

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary