Exchange Services unavailable when a Domain Controller Reboots

We have a domain controller that does not hold any Roles that when
rebooting, the Exchange server does not allow email to work.  The roles are
on a Domain Controller other than the one that reboots.  The Exchange is 2000
and the Domain Controllers are 2000.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Tina Cecil
0
TeeCee (10)

Even though this domain controller holds no FMSO roles, perhaps it is a
Global Catalog server in your Org - possibly the only one?

Oliver

"TeeCee" <TeeCee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a domain controller that does not hold any Roles that when
> rebooting, the Exchange server does not allow email to work.  The roles
> are
> on a Domain Controller other than the one that reboots.  The Exchange is
> 2000
> and the Domain Controllers are 2000.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tina Cecil

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
11/3/2006 5:07:05 PM
Also make sure that your Exchange Servers are set to 'auto discovery' for
DC's and GC's, you may possibly have only this Exchange server manually set
which when rebooted is causing you the syptoms you are describing.

 Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
11/3/2006 5:09:08 PM

"Oliver Moazzezi" wrote:

> Even though this domain controller holds no FMSO roles, perhaps it is a
> Global Catalog server in your Org - possibly the only one?
>
> Oliver
>

> "TeeCee" <TeeCee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a domain controller that does not hold any Roles that when
> > rebooting, the Exchange server does not allow email to work.  The roles
> > are
> > on a Domain Controller other than the one that reboots.  The Exchange is
> > 2000
> > and the Domain Controllers are 2000.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Tina Cecil
>

> It is a global catalogue and so is the domain controller with the roles.  Should I disable it from being a global catalogue? It is on a different subnet being another office 6 miles away.  Would anything odd happen with just one global cataloge enabled?

Thank you again,

Tina
0
TeeCee (10)
11/3/2006 5:16:02 PM
You should have a GC in the same site as any Exchange Servers.

So rather than demote it, best to have that still a GC for logon
authentication etc in your remote site, promote another DC in your current
site to a GC. Note that it takes approximately 5 minutes for a GC to  make
itself available - you will see in Event Viewer once it is advertising
itself as one - I forget the Event ID.

Preference is 2 in a site - but you get away with 1 - it's all down to
redunancy, and that all boils down to the size of your Company, Exchange
Org, uptime SLA's and how much cold hard cash is available to spend!

> "Oliver Moazzezi" wrote:
>
>> Even though this domain controller holds no FMSO roles, perhaps it is a
>> Global Catalog server in your Org - possibly the only one?
>>
>> Oliver
>>

>> "TeeCee" <TeeCee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have a domain controller that does not hold any Roles that when
>> > rebooting, the Exchange server does not allow email to work.  The roles
>> > are
>> > on a Domain Controller other than the one that reboots.  The Exchange
>> > is
>> > 2000
>> > and the Domain Controllers are 2000.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Tina Cecil
>>

>> It is a global catalogue and so is the domain controller with the roles.
>> Should I disable it from being a global catalogue? It is on a different
>> subnet being another office 6 miles away.  Would anything odd happen with
>> just one global cataloge enabled?
>
> Thank you again,
>
> Tina

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
11/3/2006 5:35:58 PM
Oliver, how do you set the DC and GC auto discovery on the Exchange Server?

"Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Also make sure that your Exchange Servers are set to 'auto discovery' for
> DC's and GC's, you may possibly have only this Exchange server manually
> set which when rebooted is causing you the syptoms you are describing.
>
> Oliver

Hi,

That is the default setting. Start ESM, properties of the exchange server
and the dsaaccess tab.

Leif

"Corbin O'Reilly" <corbinoreilly@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Oliver, how do you set the DC and GC auto discovery on the Exchange
> Server?
>
> "Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Also make sure that your Exchange Servers are set to 'auto discovery' for
>> DC's and GC's, you may possibly have only this Exchange server manually
>> set which when rebooted is causing you the syptoms you are describing.
>>
>> Oliver

How do I find the location of the font control in Win XP
Hi All, I'd like to change my fonts every now and then but don't know where to find them. Could someone please tell me where they are an how to use them? Thanks, Don Don, This newsgroup deals with Microsoft Access, a relational database application. You'll have better luck posting this on a newsgroup related to Windows Fonts. Try... microsoft.public.word.printingfonts -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work...

Exchange 5.5 DL's in Exchange 2003 GAL
we are currently running a mixed mode environment (Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003) which has two domains. Exchange 2003 is running in Domain A, and Domain B contains both 2003 and 5.5. The problem that we have is that Exchange 5.5 DL's in doamin A show up in the Exchange 2003 GAL, but Exchange 5.5 DL's from domain B do not. I have had a look at the ADC and everything appears to be ok. Take a look at these: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275194 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329200 "swingman" <steven.jones@arup.com&g...

Backup Exchange Server #3
Hi, I am new to Exchange administration. So please be gentle in reply... Here is the Question: My company currently has 1 exchange server. Recently it went down and we did not have emails for almost 3 days before I could figure out a way to get the database back (considering that there was no backup as it was failing). Now it is all working perfectly well. My boss now wants me to put in a secondary exchange server so that incase the first one fails it should automatically switch over to the second one and there should be no down time. My company is based on revenue from orders coming t...

OnEvent Click and Tab Controls
Good Day All.. I have an issue that I had posted previously but it did not get resolved. It may partially be my fault for not explaining my need/question correctly. I have a form. The form contains a subform. & a tab control. The subform has 3 fields listed for the user: ShipTo, BillTo & Account Name The tab control has 3 tabs. The first tab is where I am struggling right now. I want the user to select ('click') on the "account" in the subform (data sheet) at the top. Once they click the "account" the fields on the tab control will then fill wit...

Exchange server hang
Hi,I have an exchange 5.5 sp4 running on Nt4 as PDC. Right now when i came in to office in the morning the server was hang. I checked on the event viewer found out server was shutdown between 2.50am to 3am everyday. I guess thats when the server hang. Strange thing is the monitor display about 6 vertical lines on the monitor with garbage characters when the server hung. The server installed with norton antivirus for exchange and installed with latest virus definition.After i reset the server the server will not hang during business hours i wonder what could have caused the server to ...

Exchange system manager
I have upgraded to exchange 2003 and use a email redirector on a seperate server for mobile device users to receive email. This redirector server has an older version of the exchange system manager. I nned to upgrade this to match the mapi32 profile. I have tried to use the exchange cd and install the support tools but this will only let me install tools for exchange 5.5 How do I upgrade the system manager on a win 2k server to work with win 2k3 exchange/server? Thanks for your efforts!!! When you stick in the E2K3 cd, under the component selection, under System Tools, choose R...

Newbie
I have installed Exchange 2003 (new install) on a new install of Windows Server 2003. When I went to add info for the SMTP server (using Exchange Management System - EMS) I navigated to Servers - Exchange1 - Protocols - SMTP There's no default SMTP server listed in there. How can I get one in there? -Fran- Did you have IIS installed already? <Fran> wrote in message news:vmrpu1h04d06lpot07kbqu78lnsflpqcaa@4ax.com... >I have installed Exchange 2003 (new install) on a new install of > Windows Server 2003. > > When I went to add info for the SMTP server (using Exch...

Moving Unix aliases to Exchange 5.5
Is there a way to emulate the unix aliases on exchange? By Unix aliases do you mean multiple email addresses? Nue "pcgirl" <pcgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8521D3E6-2F11-408E-863B-A9911850D19A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to emulate the unix aliases on exchange? ...

Exchange 5.5 and Public Contact Folder
We have a public folder that contains contact items. We'd like to know who creates each contact in the folder. Is there anyway to see who created an item in there? thanks if you change the view on the folder and add the "from" field, you should be able to see... "Steve" <sschmeg@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OVaz%23mnxEHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > We have a public folder that contains contact items. We'd like to know who > creates each contact in the folder. Is there anyway to see who created an > item in there? > > thanks > >...

OWA 5.5 to Exchange 2003 Server
I've customized OWA 5.5 to emulate the custom message form we use in OL. This doenst appear to be as doable in OWA 2003. Is there a way to run OWA 5.5 against the EX2003 server? On a clone of the old OWA 5.5 sever I've tried modifying the org, site, and server entries under the MSExchangeWEB\Parameters entries to point to the EX2003 server but I get "The Microsoft Exchange server is down or the HTTP service has been disabled...". Originally I tried it when I tried migrating and I thought it worked, but now I loaded EX2003 from scratch and subsequently it doesnt. If I ...

Renaming recipeint exchange 5.5
I renamed an old recipeint account so the new employee could still have access to their old email. The directory name is still the name of the old employee. Is there a way to get that to match with the new name? Thanks again, Aaron Neunz "Aaron Neunz" <apn@rrbiznet.com> wrote: >I renamed an old recipeint account so the new employee could still have >access to their old email. The directory name is still the name of the old >employee. Is there a way to get that to match with the new name? > >Thanks again, >Aaron Neunz > No. There's no need either...

Outlook Connection Unavailable
When I try an add my Exchange server to Outlook 2007 I get (under any user on this particular machine). The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action. I have edited the hosts file I can ping my server fine Many many others with 2003 and 2007 Outlook work fine I have deleted the .ost files in local settings I have deleted the profile in the Control Panel with the Mail Icon, created a separt POP3 and then went back to add an Exchange box. I have deleted the profile several times and tried to create a new profile several times...

How do you control the color/pattern of a pie chart?
I need help with my pie charts. I need to create pie charts that are easily understood in B&W. How do I set the color or pattern for each portion of my pie chart? Hi, To format a slice you need to select it first. Click the pie once to select all slices. Click again to select individual slice. You can use the Fill Effects > Patterns to fill with b/w patterns. Also in print preview the Setup dialog has a Print Black & White option on the Chart Tab. Note this is only visible if you have a chart sheet or select the chartobject before print preview. If you are printing chartobje...

Autoarchive errors and exchange 2003
Beware. If you import .pst files into Exchange 2003 mailboxes a hidden modification date is created and set to the date the data is actually loaded on the server. All emails retain their actual sent/received dates but if you try to use autoarchive it looks at this hidden date and will not use the correct dates. Thus users cannot use this function properly. Does anyone have a answer please. Thks Phil OL2000: Message Modification Date Determines Archive Date ID: 197981 The following actions will change the message's modified date/time: - Moving or Copying It then gives you steps t...

can send but can receive- event log shows loop within Exchange
Hi all, When I try to send email to my exchange 2003 server from an external email account I never get the email. I get the following error message in my event log. ------------------------ A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.3.5 was generated for recipient rfc822;adrown@[192.168.2.249] (Message-ID <200411090532.iA95WemV015823@gatekeeper.com>). Causes: A looping condition was detected. (The server is configured to route mail back to itself). If you have multiple SMTP Virtual Servers configured on your Exchange server, make sure they are defined by a unique incoming port and t...

Printer Control
I have a printer control on my form and when I use it, it prints to the default printer. I would like for it to bring up the screen to allow me to select which printer to use, like when you use the file/print way. thanks Blair Private Sub Command310_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command310_Click DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 8, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.PrintOut acSelection DoCmd.GoToControl "CloseFemaleCards" Exit_Command310_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command310_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Command310_Click End Sub This will call the print...

ActiveX control being added to outgoing e-mail?
I have a user running Outlook 2003 via Exchange 2000. All outgoing messages sent by his system apparently have an ActiveX control in them. Any messages I try to open on another machine give the alert "Your current Security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls..." Could this mean the user has a virus? Something else? Any help is appreciated, and a direct reply to me is appreciated as well. Thanks, John M John discovered this was due to bad signature or stationary files in Outlook. I had the same problem with a user and tested this theory. There was indeed some c...

Exchange Email Gateway
I have a customer that is using Sybari Anti Virus and when running the sample gateway with this virus checker the gateway crashes randomly. I have seen this before and when we exclude the gateway mailbox from the virus checker the problem goes away. Is there a way with Sybari that we can run without excluding the gateway mailbox and not have the gateway randomly crash? Thank you John Sestito On 3 Apr 2006 11:25:12 -0700, "jsestito@quadrantsoftware.com" <jsestito@quadrantsoftware.com> wrote: >I have a customer that is using Sybari Anti Virus and when running the >sampl...

Mangled Exchange 2000 Attributes in Windows 2000 Forests
Were upgrading from 2000 AD and Exchange to 2003 AD and Exchange we are doing the Exchange server first. According to KB Article ID: 314649 To prevent Mangled Attributes in Windows 2000 Forests that contain an Exchange 2000 Servers we need to run the; ldifde -i -f inetorgpersonprevent.ldf -v -c DC=Domain,DC=com Script. When I tried to do this, I received an error that the From To DN is incorrect. Not knowing what this meant searched the console. The script wants to rename the ms-Exch-Assistant-Name, ms-Exch-LabeledURI, and the ms-Exch-House-Identifier CN attributes to msExch...

Exchange 2003 Public Folder Problem #2
All - I have 2 Ex2003 servers, (hqmail & njmail) both hosting public and private store. Both servers are in the same administrative group and in the same routing group. When a user creates a new public folder from a client or from OWA, the public folder is always created on the same server, njmail. When the user uses OWA to browse the public folders, they are redirected to the njmail public no matter where their mailbox resides. Also, the users on hmail and using OL, they experience a delay when trying to view the public folder because they are getting the data from another serve...

Problem with multiline tab control #2
Hi, I have a problem with a tab control that I just can't seem to figure out. I have a tab control that made multi-line capable with m_ctrlTab.ModifyStyle(TCS_MULTILINE,TCS_MULTILINE); but, ever since I made the change I can't seem to display whichever tab I want upon application startup. It used to be a regular single-line tab (with 5 tabs) but I'm running out of space which is why I need a multiline solution. I have 6 tabs right now, three in one row. My code looks like this: ------------------------------- snip ------------------------------- BOOL Cxxxx:OnInitDialog() { ...

How can we use 2 domains?
We redistered 2 domains 1. xyz1.com 2. xyz2.com On one office we are using xyz1.com with win2003 server. xyz is working fine. We have 2nd office on different location can we use same machine for 2nd domain name? On 26 Mar 2007 01:35:23 -0700, "@smi" <imaasim@gmail.com> wrote: >We redistered 2 domains >1. xyz1.com >2. xyz2.com >On one office we are using xyz1.com with win2003 server. xyz is >working fine. >We have 2nd office on different location can we use same machine for >2nd domain name? http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=recipient+policies&a...

Upper Control Limits
I have a line chart that shows 12 months of data and a trend line. I computed the Upper & Lower Control Limits using the Standard Deviation. Is there a way to put these lines on my charts so that when my boss looks at it she can tell if one or more of the points are out of control? Thanks In Advance Wm. William: This link will show you how to build a control chart in Excel. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_control_chart.htm ....Kelly koday@processtrends.com "williamr" <williamr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64B0E55A-F4F1-4FE9-9566-C9BCCF2...

What does the Exchange 2003 DST patch fix in Exchange?
Does Exchange not look at the OS and hardware clock? http://support.microsoft.com/?id=926666 Why is the update required for Exchange? Microsoft calendar software such as Outlook depends on the operating system time zone information to display time information. However, Collaboration Data Objects (CDO)-based programs such as Outlook Web Access depend on separate internal time zone tables. This update modifies these internal time zone tables to match the changes in time zone settings. Without this update, calendar items in CDO-based programs and in Outlook Web Access will operate as i...

Event ID 9554
Hello, I"m getting the following error: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9554 Date: 10/11/2005 Time: 1:33:15 PM User: N/A Computer: !@#$!# Description: Unable to update Mailbox SD in the DS. Mailbox Guid: 3b5b90b3-9fcd-4540-9858-d13d6498e9e1. Error Code 0x8004010f For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 3b 5b 90 b3 - 9fcd - 4540 -9858 - d13d6498e9e1 \b3\90\5b\3b\cd\9f\40\45\98\58\d1\3d\64\98\e9\e1 (msE...