Exchange Server takes more and more HDD space

Hi!

I am running Exchange Server 2k on Windows 2k.
It's been running fine for more than 2 years.
This week, I had an error message ("out of memory...") when I send an
email from Outlook Express.
I checked the server and realized that the server has only 1.5MB free
space on the hard drive.
I deleted unnecessary files and made 80MB space.
The next day, it was 1.5MB free space again.

I checked the size of Exchange folder in Program Files.
It counted very slowly and increased little by little.
I guess there are very many small files in the folder.
Especially the mailroot folder is suspicious but I couldn't get in.

Is it infected with virus?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam
0
ssk1 (1)

Chances are your log files are filling up the disk space. If you do an
Exchange aware backup, it will flush those logs.
You can use NTBackup on the server to do this.

--
Martin Blackstone
MVP - Exchange

http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
"Sam Kong" <ssk@chol.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I am running Exchange Server 2k on Windows 2k.
> It's been running fine for more than 2 years.
> This week, I had an error message ("out of memory...") when I send an
> email from Outlook Express.
> I checked the server and realized that the server has only 1.5MB free
> space on the hard drive.
> I deleted unnecessary files and made 80MB space.
> The next day, it was 1.5MB free space again.
>
> I checked the size of Exchange folder in Program Files.
> It counted very slowly and increased little by little.
> I guess there are very many small files in the folder.
> Especially the mailroot folder is suspicious but I couldn't get in.
>
> Is it infected with virus?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Sam

0
martinb (199)
7/14/2004 4:41:48 PM
In addition to what Martin suggested, you could also be a victim of a SPAM
attack.
Stop SMTP service
rename your badmail folder and create a new one. You can even delete the
folder entirely and create a new one
rename your queue folder and create a new one
restart SMTP service
Since explorer will be slow in opening and renaming these folders, you can
do the steps above from the commandline - less painful.

If you have a file-level Virus Scanner on the server, make sure you are not
scanning the Exchange folders.

--
Sincerely,

D�j� Ak�m�l�f�, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
www.akomolafe.com
www.iyaburo.com
Yesterday?  -anon
"Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <martinb@myrealbox.com> wrote in
message news:uLZrTGcaEHA.2816@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Chances are your log files are filling up the disk space. If you do an
> Exchange aware backup, it will flush those logs.
> You can use NTBackup on the server to do this.
>
> --
> Martin Blackstone
> MVP - Exchange
>
> http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
>

> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
> "Sam Kong" <ssk@chol.net> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am running Exchange Server 2k on Windows 2k.
> > It's been running fine for more than 2 years.
> > This week, I had an error message ("out of memory...") when I send an
> > email from Outlook Express.
> > I checked the server and realized that the server has only 1.5MB free
> > space on the hard drive.
> > I deleted unnecessary files and made 80MB space.
> > The next day, it was 1.5MB free space again.
> >
> > I checked the size of Exchange folder in Program Files.
> > It counted very slowly and increased little by little.
> > I guess there are very many small files in the folder.
> > Especially the mailroot folder is suspicious but I couldn't get in.
> >
> > Is it infected with virus?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Sam

2 Questions about Exchange 2003.
These are quesions from a practice test. I know nothing of Exchange servers. 1)I created a user 2 months ago and he did not need to have an email address. He has recently taken a job that required me to give an email address. Ho would I do that without deleting and recreating his account?(the mail server used is Exchange 2003) 2)My company is merging with another company and I need to configure my Exchange 2003 server to now accept email from the domain newdomain.com. Please list the steps that needs to be done to ensure that exchange will recieve email for that domain. Thanks for the...

Configure clients with prf to new server
With the help of modprof.exe and profgen.exe I want to push a new exchange configuration (outlook.prf) to existing outlook profiles on our domain. (1000 clients) Every client needs to go from our european exchangeserver to a new exchange server in the US (outside our european domain). This is working ok, but I tried several options in the prf-file and I always lose the existing connections to the local pst-files (personal folders). We have to keep these connections. Does anyone know how to keep these connections? (Yes, you can reconnect trough the pst file, but everyone has diferent amount o...

CRM & SQL Server Questions
I am trying to learn MS CRM and did a basic install on a development domain. When I installed CRM, it created 4 databases domain-name_DRMCrystal, domain-name__Metabase, domain-name_MSCRM, and domain-name_MSCRMDistribution. It also installed and configured replication on the SQL Server. 1. What is the purpose of replication on a stand-alone server? What am I replicating to and why is this necessary? 2. I created a diagram of certain tables in the domain-name_MSCRM database. The next day the diagram was gone. Does anyone know what might have happened? 3. Can I create stored procs (read...

Table Delete Strategy on SQL Server 2005
I have a table that has over 300 million rows. Each row is quite hefty in size. I need to do selective delete of quiete a few rows, in millions. Could somebody suggest an approach to best handle such a scenario. The approach can include settings or adding db objects that would speed up the handling of this. Thanks in advance RG > size. I need to do selective delete of quiete a few rows, in millions. I am not sure that understood the above... Thats simple technique to delete 2000 rows (batch size) according to WHERE condition WHILE 1 = 1 BEGIN DELETE TOP(2000...

Exchange 2003 migration #4
Hi, Can you please advise me few steps or provide some links to my problem. (I am inexperienced in dealing with exchange :)). I am running MS Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003. I need to move the Exchange to different server (windows 2003 std in the same domain, I have also bought new Exchange 2003 for it) and then get rid of the source server at all. What is the best approach to perform this migration? Thank you very much in advance, Greg The move mailbox wizard will allow you to move mailboxes between servers. The best approach is to bring the new box up in the same Exchange org a...

date and time of outlook pop a/c of exchange
dear respected gurus, i would like to know: - v have one staff - he changed the time in windows 98 machine and send email to other staff and blames to IT department that emails r delayed - v used outlook xp client configured pop with exchange 2k can any one tell me how to use server email time or any other software/plugin to stop changeing timing from system of win 98' rgds shahzad MUHAMAMD SALIM SHAHZAD wrote: > dear respected gurus, > > i would like to know: > > - v have one staff > - he changed the time in windows 98 machine and send email to other > staff and ...

thinking about exchange server
Hi I work for a small company (15-20 employees), we currently run windows xp and have an old server. What we want to do is setup shared calendars and contacts so the entire office can access them. This is in Outlook. what I need to know before i go and spend $$ on a new server is, how can this be done? Do I need Microsofts exchange server to accomplish this? Does exchange server run on its own or do i need to setup server 2003 and then put exchange server on it as well? Can this be done without a server (shared contacts and calendar) What is exchange server exactly? is it just an adva...

how to use outlook w/o exchange server?
Trying to use outlook and cannot send/receive email. error msg 0x8004010F. I work from home, have no employess, no need to share address book. Just trying to use it w/ a new PDA I have. The exchange server appears to be a fee based service - I don't know. I just want to use Outlook to schedule my appts, keep contacts and use email. SMScott <SMScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Trying to use outlook and cannot send/receive email. error msg > 0x8004010F. I work from home, have no employess, no need to share > address book. Just trying to use it w/ a new PDA ...

MX question on Exchange 2003
When I try to send mail to any user in the domain graphics.ucsd.edu the mail can not be delivered because there first MX record that points to 132.239.95.98 doesn't have port 25 open for mail. So my server tries only that server for tree days then it gives up. First of all, why doesn't my server try any other server with lover priority? And what is the reason to stop port 25 on their first MX server? I have an Exchange 2003 server with sp1 running on a windows 2003 server RO wrote: > When I try to send mail to any user in the domain graphics.ucsd.edu > the mail can not b...

Event ID:8230
Is there any updated TechNet Articles or what do I need to do for these? After my upgrade I seem to be getting a lot of them. Windows 2003 Enterprise, Exchange 2003 Enterprise Event Source: EXCDO Event Category: General Event ID: 8230 Date: date Time: time User: N/A Computer: Servername Description: An inconsistency was detected in username@domain.com: /Calendar/Appointment.EML. The calendar is being repaired. If other errors occur with this calendar, please view the calendar using Microsoft Outlook Web Access. If a problem persists, please recreate the calendar or the containing mailbox. Ad...

Old Exchange 5.5 Server listed in Exchange 2003
Have taken over a role whereby I need to remove Exchange 5.5 server from the Exchange 2003 system that we have. Unfortunately the Exchange 5.5 server is no longer here but is listed within the servers in Exchange 2003 System Manager. Is there anyway to remove this without rebuilding an Exchange 5.5 server ? Take a look at the following article particularly steps 15+ 822450 How to remove the last Exchange Server 5.5 computer from an Exchange Server 2003 administrative group http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;822450 -- Alan Williams Microsoft Exchange Support Pl...

Exchange 5.5 internal site problem
Hi, I am using exch 5.5 with 2 srvrs in a single sit , with a mail content scanner enigine on a diff srvr , when i forward mail fm content scanner to first srvr , the mail flow works properly , but when i forward it to second srvr ( which was buileded later) , the recipients on 1 st server dont get internet mails . Can anyone HElp. ...

Exchange SP2 SMTP timeout, incoming mails
Hi newsgroup, i have a problem since upgrading to sp2. Some mails did not arrive in our organisation. SMTP logfiles notify a timeout. This behaviour happens only for some domains e.x. tiscali.de. It is traceable. Before SP2 everything works fine. I've deactivated the IMF2 and all other filters, but no luck. Environment: Windows 2003 Server, SP1 german Exchange Server 2003, SP2 Thanks in advance, Volker Is there anything in the event logs? There is a good chance the problem is not at your end. Do you have any ability to work with the admins from one of the other domains? Nue &...

Change exchange from Mix to Native Mode.
Hi All, The exhange 2000 organization in mix mode has 3 backend and 2 front end server in 2 sites. It is running in Windows 2000 Mix mode. Due to some terrible experiences in the past with Exchange, my client is little worried to change it into native mode, so I have to come up with some good recovery plans. I would be backing up the Exchange Server Databases and also the Active Directory before the switchover. So In case of any issues how could I recover to earlier state. 1. Just the AD Restore. 2. Will it require an exchange restore too. 3. Any other tips to get this up and running fast....

Exchange 2003 Mail between servers stops after a few days
Hi all, I have an odd situation where mail destined for a different administrative group in the same domain stops after a few days; a restart of the server where mails are queing clears the problem. The destination admin group is attached via a connector (smtp), and it's this connector that goes into a retry state under fault conditions. A bridgehead at either end is used, although looking at message tracking suggests the bridge-heads are not being used. Local mail delivery is unaffected, only mail to the remote admin group is affected. There are firewalls involved: the sites are...

Recover Exchange 2007 DB to a network share using powershell from
I am trying to figure out what the proper command is to recover an Exchange 2007 DB to a network location using powershell instead of the DPM 2007 GUI and have it be a clean shutdown? In the Recovery Wizard (GUI) there is an option of 'Bring the database to a clean shutdown after copying the files.' I would like to be able to set this using a powershell command. Does anyone know what that would be? Thanks for you help, Adam ...

process of opening Outlook and communication with Exchange
Hi I am looking for KB article(s) on the process that occurs when Outlook is opened, ie - on startup, what does it do - how does it communicate with the Exchange server, DC/GC and for what info - process flow from initiation till the time Outlook opens: ie. detailed information as to what occurs in terms of its design. can anyone help thanks ...

My Exchange server will not make new mailboxes
I had one e-mail server on this domain it was giving us trouble so I installed a new server on the domain and made it an exchange server. I moved all the mailboxes that where in use to the new e-mail server. I wait two weeks and shut down the old server, but now when I create a new user in active directory and tell it to create a mailbox it looks as if it creates one. When I look in the properties of the user and go to the e-mail address tab it is blank. When I right click on the users name and go to exchange task it gives me the option to move the mailbox to the old server which is ...

Exchange and fax
We want to be able to send faxes by email (with attachments) to our client's fax machine. Does anyone know a decent third party add-on product for Exchange 5.5 server (on NT4 OS) that lets us send out faxes by email? Thanks. GFI Essentials FaxMaker for Exchange works well for us and is pretty simple to set up "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message news:OC3MJHDTFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > We want to be able to send faxes by email (with attachments) to our client's > fax machine. Does anyone know a decent third party add-on...

Exchange 2003, Cache mode not working.
Hi All, Background:- We have three domain as group.local, A.group.local, B.group.local. In A.group.local we were having EX01 exchange server, which was crashed unfortunately we don’t have backup. Server EX01 was having 70 non critical mailboxes. Our admin in A.group.local deleted mailbox for those 70 users forcefully from AD and created new mailboxes for those 70 users on Server EX02. Everything went fine, next day they discovered that Old users cannot send mail to new mailbox users in cached mode. Everything goes fin in online mode. As of now we discovered that all users in ...

[Exchange 5.5]: Directory Replication Problem
Dear all, I am facing very critical problem I have exchange 5.5 enterprise server connected with 7 exchange 5.5 site. All sites are in different domain with x.400 connector confgiured with two central mail server kept at two different sites. The same topology has been used for directory replication connector. All server are with service pack 2 One of my exchange server goes down due to disk failure. I am using ghost for backup purpose. I restored ghost image which is of one month old on same server with new disk. Server was not at all accepting any directory changes made on another sites. I r...

Exchange Administrator #2
Hey, I just installed Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 server. But when i open up Exchange Adminstrator, I keep on getting this error message, how do i fix this problem? Error: Title: Microsoft Exchange Administrator Message: A Connection could not be made to the microsoft exchange server computer 'EXCH'. The Microsoft exchange server computer does not respond. Microsoft Exchange Directory ID no: DS_E_Communications_Problem You use Exchange System Manager, and ADUC - not Exchange Administrator, to manage E2000/2003. Did you have a 5.x server before? erbeh wrote: > Hey, >...

>>Implementing new 2003 Exchange Server<<
Hi, I am migrating from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. As an security/fallback I am installing Exchange 2003 on a new server. My question is - Does someone know how I will be able to create a script so the clients is connecting to the new server automatically, or better does someone have a script they want to share with me? The script shall work on Outlook 97, 2000, XP and 2003. Kind regards, Kenneth Bess On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:22:25 +0100, "Kenneth Bess" <kenneth.bess@t-systems.dk> wrote: >Hi, > >I am migrating from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. As an security/fallback I am...

Symantec Mail Security for Exchange
Does anyone know if Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 5.0 will work on the Standard Edition of Exchange 2000 sp3? It says Enterprise Edition in the sys requirements but no where does it say the word STANDARD. If anyone can help before I purchase this software that would be great. Thanks, Chad WEBIT Services On 3 Nov 2006 13:50:18 -0800, "crdvds" <crdvds@gmail.com> wrote: >Does anyone know if Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 5.0 will work >on the Standard Edition of Exchange 2000 sp3? > >It says Enterprise Edition in the sys requirements but no where does ...

Exchange 2003 SBS Attachment filtering in admin
Folks: I have set up SBS 2003 / Exchange on our server some time ago. I have been trying to find the location to add an additional attachment to the exclude list on incoming mail. (Attachment filtering). I have looked for some time and cannot find the UI to do this in the system manager. Could someone point this location out to me? Thanks d "D S" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:uPeCkbUrGHA.4992@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Folks: > > I have set up SBS 2003 / Exchange on our server some time ago. I have > been trying to find the location to a...