Exchange Server/Relay Server Problem

I am in the process of moving all users from our old e-mail domain to the
new e-mail domain. The old e-mail accounts reside on a Linux server running
QMail with a domain similar to organization.com. All new accounts are being
moved to an Exchange Server with the domain name of organization.ca; The
Exchange server had been configured to relay all mail through the Linux
server. As we moved people to the new domain name (organization.ca) the
QMail server was configured to forward the users mail to the new accounts.
It did so flawlessly until Friday...

On Friday administration decided they wanted to keep the old e-mail
addresses for another 6 months. I thought that it would not be a problem
simply to modify my Recipient Policy to accept mail from both domains, new
and old in preparation for the elimination of the Linux QMail server. I
realized my error once discovering that mail to a user@organization.com
would report an "Undeliverable" mail message when a new mailserver user sent
it. The Exchange box thought it was the mail server for the old domain as
well. I again modified the Default Recipient Policy in an attempt to get
mail flowing again.

I am still getting the "Undeliverable" message when a new mail server user
tries to send to send to anyone in the old organization.com domain. Any help
will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0
Raymond

If I understand correctly, you can probably solve this by looking at the
recipient policy that assigns the old email address users on the new server,
and uncheck the box that says "This Exchange Org is reponsible for all mail
delivery to this address".

Hope that helps!

-MRW
 MCSE, MCSA, A+

"Raymond Spitzingle" <ray(nospam)@stuff.tv> wrote in message
> I am in the process of moving all users from our old e-mail domain to the
> new e-mail domain. The old e-mail accounts reside on a Linux server
running
> QMail with a domain similar to organization.com. All new accounts are
being
> moved to an Exchange Server with the domain name of organization.ca; The
> Exchange server had been configured to relay all mail through the Linux
> server. As we moved people to the new domain name (organization.ca) the
> QMail server was configured to forward the users mail to the new accounts.
> It did so flawlessly until Friday...
>
> On Friday administration decided they wanted to keep the old e-mail
> addresses for another 6 months. I thought that it would not be a problem
> simply to modify my Recipient Policy to accept mail from both domains, new
> and old in preparation for the elimination of the Linux QMail server. I
> realized my error once discovering that mail to a user@organization.com
> would report an "Undeliverable" mail message when a new mailserver user
sent
> it. The Exchange box thought it was the mail server for the old domain as
> well. I again modified the Default Recipient Policy in an attempt to get
> mail flowing again.
>
> I am still getting the "Undeliverable" message when a new mail server user
> tries to send to send to anyone in the old organization.com domain. Any
help
> will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, there is only one recipient policy and this only contains
(under e-mail addresses (policy)) the SMTP address of "organization.ca" and
the X400 that was there before. The check box you speak of is grayed out.

"MRW" <gospamyourself@nothanks.com> wrote in message
> If I understand correctly, you can probably solve this by looking at the
> recipient policy that assigns the old email address users on the new
> server,
> and uncheck the box that says "This Exchange Org is reponsible for all
> mail
> delivery to this address".
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> -MRW
> MCSE, MCSA, A+
>

> "Raymond Spitzingle" <ray(nospam)@stuff.tv> wrote in message
>> I am in the process of moving all users from our old e-mail domain to the
>> new e-mail domain. The old e-mail accounts reside on a Linux server
> running
>> QMail with a domain similar to organization.com. All new accounts are
> being
>> moved to an Exchange Server with the domain name of organization.ca; The
>> Exchange server had been configured to relay all mail through the Linux
>> server. As we moved people to the new domain name (organization.ca) the
>> QMail server was configured to forward the users mail to the new
>> accounts.
>> It did so flawlessly until Friday...
>>
>> On Friday administration decided they wanted to keep the old e-mail
>> addresses for another 6 months. I thought that it would not be a problem
>> simply to modify my Recipient Policy to accept mail from both domains,
>> new
>> and old in preparation for the elimination of the Linux QMail server. I
>> realized my error once discovering that mail to a user@organization.com
>> would report an "Undeliverable" mail message when a new mailserver user
> sent
>> it. The Exchange box thought it was the mail server for the old domain as
>> well. I again modified the Default Recipient Policy in an attempt to get
>> mail flowing again.
>>
>> I am still getting the "Undeliverable" message when a new mail server
>> user
>> tries to send to send to anyone in the old organization.com domain. Any
> help
>> will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0
Raymond
10/25/2004 7:14:38 PM
So, might this be something simpler, that the new mail server is having a
DNS resolution problem finding the old server?

> Unfortunately, there is only one recipient policy and this only contains
> (under e-mail addresses (policy)) the SMTP address of "organization.ca"
and
> the X400 that was there before. The check box you speak of is grayed out.
>
> "MRW" <gospamyourself@nothanks.com> wrote in message
> > If I understand correctly, you can probably solve this by looking at the
> > recipient policy that assigns the old email address users on the new
> > server,
> > and uncheck the box that says "This Exchange Org is reponsible for all
> > mail
> > delivery to this address".
> >
> > Hope that helps!
> >
> > -MRW
> > MCSE, MCSA, A+
> >

> > "Raymond Spitzingle" <ray(nospam)@stuff.tv> wrote in message
> >> I am in the process of moving all users from our old e-mail domain to
the
> >> new e-mail domain. The old e-mail accounts reside on a Linux server
> > running
> >> QMail with a domain similar to organization.com. All new accounts are
> > being
> >> moved to an Exchange Server with the domain name of organization.ca;
The
> >> Exchange server had been configured to relay all mail through the Linux
> >> server. As we moved people to the new domain name (organization.ca) the
> >> QMail server was configured to forward the users mail to the new
> >> accounts.
> >> It did so flawlessly until Friday...
> >>
> >> On Friday administration decided they wanted to keep the old e-mail
> >> addresses for another 6 months. I thought that it would not be a
problem
> >> simply to modify my Recipient Policy to accept mail from both domains,
> >> new
> >> and old in preparation for the elimination of the Linux QMail server. I
> >> realized my error once discovering that mail to a user@organization.com
> >> would report an "Undeliverable" mail message when a new mailserver user
> > sent
> >> it. The Exchange box thought it was the mail server for the old domain
as
> >> well. I again modified the Default Recipient Policy in an attempt to
get
> >> mail flowing again.
> >>
> >> I am still getting the "Undeliverable" message when a new mail server
> >> user
> >> tries to send to send to anyone in the old organization.com domain. Any
> > help
> >> will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I tried that as well. It can resolve the name just fine.

> So, might this be something simpler, that the new mail server is having a
> DNS resolution problem finding the old server?
>

> "Raymond Spitzingle" <ray(nospam)@stuff.tv> wrote in message
>> Unfortunately, there is only one recipient policy and this only contains
>> (under e-mail addresses (policy)) the SMTP address of "organization.ca"
> and
>> the X400 that was there before. The check box you speak of is grayed out.
>>
>> "MRW" <gospamyourself@nothanks.com> wrote in message
>> > If I understand correctly, you can probably solve this by looking at
>> > the
>> > recipient policy that assigns the old email address users on the new
>> > server,
>> > and uncheck the box that says "This Exchange Org is reponsible for all
>> > mail
>> > delivery to this address".
>> >
>> > Hope that helps!
>> >
>> > -MRW
>> > MCSE, MCSA, A+
>> >

>> > "Raymond Spitzingle" <ray(nospam)@stuff.tv> wrote in message
> the
>> > running
>> > being
> The

> problem
>> > sent
> as
> get

>> > help

0
Raymond

Move mailboxes from original Exchange 2003 server
I am moving from 1 Exchange 2003 server to another - due to horsepower. Do I still need to go through this - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931. I am just moving resources one server to another and deleting / uninstalling the original Exchange 2003 server. Thx. Yes you need to follow that article if you intend to remove the first server. Nue "YONAS" <yonas@msn.com> wrote in message news:evQWaBQhGHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I am moving from 1 Exchange 2003 server to another - due to horsepower. Do >I still need to go through...

Exchange logon fails from broadband NOT modem
When connecting from a hotel broadband through a Microsoft PPTP VPN connection, Outlook 2002 fails to authenticate to Exchange 2000 server. MSM 5.0 to Exchange does same thing: prompt for username/password/domain but always rejects entry for muliple accounts. The PC is Windows 2000 with all current SP and patches. The same PC has no trouble access file servers, the VPN, and Outlook Web Access using the same username. The same PC worked well on the same hotel broadband before. The same PC connects with no issues from Outlook 2002 when connecting through a dialup Internet connection through...

Problem inserting a node with a namespace
This is so silly I must be doing something wrong! I need to insert (using VB.NET) a new node in a DOM; node has a namespace. I first create, under programme, basic structure, starting thus: <rdf:RDF xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#" xmlns:prism="http://prismstandard.org/namespaces/1.2/basic/" xmlns:pcv="http://prismstandard.org/namespaces/1.2/pcv/"> Then I attempt to add a node with rdf namespace prefix. My call in skeleton is: CreateElement("rdf", "subje...

problem carrying over values
I have one form that has a button I''ll call it form1. The button looks at a text box for an ID and if its null it opens form2 and creates a new record in form2. If the text box is NOT null, it will go find the ID that's in the text box and filter it in form2. When the new record is created in form2, I need the ID to be put into the NULL text box in form1. I know how to do this however, if you open form2 on its own, then the error msg comes up that it can't find form1. I know why I'm getting this error, but don't know the fix for it. Is there a work around? Thanks...

compressed drive for exchange db and logs
Is it bad to have exchange databases and logs on a compressed NTFS drive? On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:35:51 -0700, "tony" <none@none.com> wrote: >Is it bad to have exchange databases and logs on a compressed NTFS drive? > Yes. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318116/en-us/ ...

Realteck 5.1 (6 channel) sound problem
Hi, I have finally got round to connecting all my speakers up to my fairly new PC. I have a Soundblaster desktop 5.1 speaker system and my new mobo, aa ASrock N68PV-GS, has 3 rear connectors for the onboard Realtek ALC662 system. I connect up my 3 cables, Front Green to Green on the mobo, middle black/blue and the centre/bass pink/orange to the mic in. The Realteck control panel objects to this mic connection. No matter what I try I get everything via the two front speakers. All is set up to 5.1 in the control panel, I have checked all my cables are well seated and in good ...

Exchange/Outlook 2003
In an effort to make sure we never reach the 16GB threshold for the SBS 2003 Exchange Info Store, I'm looking to setup a GPO to give everyone consistent AutoArchive settings as well as a common location for the PST file. I have already downloaded the Office Administrative Templates for Outlook 2003, so I already have found the settings I want to modify and have made the changes, I just haven't made them live on the domain yet. My thoughts to date: * create two GPOs, one for the PST location, one for the autoarchive settings themselves * set PST location to local drive, or common netw...

License Problem
I have networked two macs and purchased and installed two copies of Office:Mac (2004). I now find that my second mac is reading the license info off the first one and not allowing me access on the second one. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software on the second mac at least a dozen times, then discovered Microsoft's instructions "Error message when you try to start an Office 2004 for Mac program: "Microsoft Office 2004 is already in use". So I followed those instructions at least a dozen times to remove the Office 2004 for Mac licensing information and it has not...

Exchange 2003
Howdy: We ahve recently migrated from an existing WinNT4/Exchange 5.5 Installation to a new Win2k3/Exchange 2003 mixed mode installation. All went well with the first server install but I am having problems installing the second and getting it to accept mail probably due to the reasonably complex computing environment. In short: All external mail is first handled via one of six UNIX servesr which does a look up and forwards the mail to the appropriate server in the format user@server.domain.com. This worked well enough with a single server, for the average Exchange customer the UNIX would...

Is this error exchange 2003 based?
HI, I have a ecommerce package that after I submit the form, it usually sends an email, I recenlty moved this site to a new server with Exchange and now when I try and submit, I get this. Exchange 2003 and the website are both on the same W2k3 server. error '8004020f' /ssl/SFLib/mail.asp, line 311 Thanks David Also, In IIS would the application Pool be ExchangeAppPool or the DefaultAppPool being that this program uses CDOSYS. Thanks much "David" <dross@si.rr.com> wrote in message news:#6m611lsEHA.1344@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > HI, I have a ecommerce package ...

Exchange 2003 (SP2) Mailbox Manager Exclusion Question...
I am the admin for a Exchange Server 2003 (SP2) Enviroment and an running into a problem with the Mailbox Manager.. We currently purchased a 3rd party product to archive e-mail outside of the exchange server. Basically a user creates a folder called "Archive" under the root of their folder list in Outlook and then they can create whatever folder structure they like under the folder called "Archive". Any e-mail a user wants to keep over 120 days (the limit we have mail saved on the exchange server) they drag and drop into this archive folder and then the 3rd party pro...

Problems adjusting to XP
I'm a moderately experienced user with two complaints: 1) I accidentally set the 'recently used file list' to zero, and I meant one. In the Options or wherever it is, now, the box is grayed out and I can't get it re-set to 1. Halp!! 2) 97% of my work is with mini-databases which I prefer to have in Excel, and the new Excel keeps reminding me and scolding me for having text labels which appear to be numbers [duh!!] And it scolds me when I sort. How can I tell Excel to stop treating me like an idjit? -- Regards, P D Sterling www.pdsterling.us 1) No Idea 2) Tools>...

cut/copy and paste forumla problem help
i am currently using the correlation formula to test on a large set of data: e.g. CORREL(IGR!C233:C262,IIA!C233:C262) IGR and IIA - they are a pair of data i place in 2 different worksheets, each has set of data, and I need to pull the data of C233 and C262 in IGR and IIA worksheet and I have many pairs in different worksheets E.G. RMR and RHR so I copy the forumla above and hope can only manually adjust the symbol from IGR and IIA to RMR and RHR when I copy it shift the number down =CORREL(IGR!C242:[/B]C271,IIA!C242:C271) from C233 to C242 and C 262 to C271 and I would have to ma...

Exchange 5.5
We've got an exchange 5.5 server in an NT4 domain, when i create a new distribution group in Exchange Administrator it appears in the recipients section but not in the global address list (i've checked its not set to be hidden) however if i creat a new user they do appear in the global address list Anyone got any ideas??? Regards Paul ...

Problems with customizing styles in the Tracking Gantt
Hi, I want to modify the appearance of critical tasks in the Tracking Gantt but somehow it doesn't work. When I open the Bar Styles dialog, I select the first row (Show for "Normal, Critical" tasks, From - Start, To - Finish). I want to change the default pattern to be tick since when I print the chart the critical tasks almost do not appear. However, when I choose another pattern nothing changes. There is another funny thing. When I double-click a particular task, I see under the Bar Text tab that it shows Baseline Duration to the left and % Complete to the right....

Problem with code that inspects thread context and dumps stack trace
Hi! Some years ago, I had to debug a Java application that had a deadlock problem. It wasn't so hard, because I've been told about a JVM command (now, I don't even remember how to activate it!) that dumps the status of all threads in an app, including "what they are waiting for" (locks). Now I'm in the "real" world of C++, Win32 applications and MFC (no virtual machines around!). We have many multithreaded applications: what if some bug causes a dedlock, e.g. in a test scenario? We must inspect it, and I'd like to have a tool to simplify my life. Does s...

SQL Server Timeout Error when searching for KB-Articles
Hello Community, i got an "SQL Server Timeout expired" Error when searching for KB-Articles in either the Webclient or Outlook. Environment: Windows Server 2003 R2 SQL 2005 + SP2 CRM 3.0 inkl. Update Rollup 1 Hey Mark, just a thought, as I'm going through some things with NTEXT fields and having issues in cirtain cases. Is it possible that some of the knowlege base articles have "Copy/Pasted" text from another application into the KB article? I've noticed on a few occasions with the NTEXT fields of notes and history/activities that when people are copy...

2K3 server w/ Ex2K3 shuts down very slow
I have a new 2K3 server running Exchange 2K3 and no other software yet. When I shutdown the server with Exchange running it takes over 11 minutes. If I shut down the Exchange services before shutting down the server shuts down in 2 minutes. In the application log it shows errors with event id 8026 and 8250. The knowledge base articles on those errors arn't much help. Does anyone have any ideas? I have the same exact problem every time I restart. From what I have found on this issue, it appears it's one of those things that MS claims can be ignored. Whatever MS! Hopefully ...

How Migrate mail account from SendMail to Exchange 2003
Hi... a new infrastructure has been created,new domain in Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003. I need to migrate the mail accounts that are in a Sendmail to Exchange Server Some idea or suggestion? If you are using Outlook with Sendmail, export the user mailbox to PST file. Once you have the users Exchange Mailbox created, import the PST file into the Exchange Mailbox. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2007 Microsoft Certified Partner "[TkT]" <TkT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5E545A6-35E8-4F42-8FE0-E43469F21B0A@microsoft.com... > H...

Please Help strange problem
Hope someone can help with this after downloading a small excel file from a dealer site that is a genereated report, I can download it as an excel file, upon doing so and pasting it into my working sheet I end up with this � with the two dots above it at the end of the text in every cell, and when it is removed some cells change for example a cell which has a long number for a serial number will shorten as well where do I start the excel version is 2000 blacklabhfxnospam@hotmail.com remove no spam ...

Forum Navigation Funtionality Problems
I am having great difficulty navigating the Excel forum. For example when I clicked on the forum link to "Excel general questions" IE returns the error that the page cannot be found. I have found that if I first click on an Outlook forum and gain access to it, and then click on "Excel general questions" I will gain access immediately. After posting a question to the "Excel general questions" forum, and receiving an email response, the link in the email to the thread took me to an error message that the page was not found. I then navigated manually to the f...

Public folders changes problem
Hi On Exchange 2007 I created public folder named "IT" and inside a calendar called "IT calnedar" that is used for all events in our IT department. It's strange when our secretary adds events into this calendar and mark them with different colors (categories) these changes (the right color for each event) are only shown in Outlook 2003 or OWA, but in Outlook 2007 all colors are mixed up. We all have Outlook 2007 in IT department, so we all see wrong colors, but when I try to log-on through OWA or with a test machine that has Outlook 2003 installed everything is O...

CRM setup problem
Installed CRM product on Win 2000 SP3, SQL 2000 SP2 box. Install seems to have gone well. Later following reboot, when I brought up the CRM client in web browser mode, none of the drop down lists work on any of the pages like System Options or User Options. I get web page errors saying CLASS NOT REGISTERED. How can I correct this? I am able to do other things in the web client like add users, business units etc, just nothing that requires using a drop down list. ...

deleting all rules from the server
Is it possible to delete all of a users message rules from the server? We had to restore a mailbox the other day and now the user's rules are in triplicate. We've tried to delete them from the client but when they sync to the server they come back. The user wouldn't be adverse to losing all of their rules at this point if that is necessary as every mail sync gives an error that the rules don't match - even after telling exchange which set of rules to keep. On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:17:27 -0800, KatLongo <KatLongo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible t...

Unable to remove Exchange 5.5 from exchange organization
Hoping someone can help me. I've scoured the web for help and seen this issue posted before but never a good answer. We had exchange 5.5 on server1. We installed Exchange 2003 on server2. Everything was migrated, everything was/is working fine on server2. I uninstalled Exchange5.5 from server1. I uninstalled ADC. I cannot remove Exchange 5.5 from System Manager 2003. From within System Mgr 2003 when I expand administrative groups->org->folders->public folders->system configuration. The "replication" of SYSTEM CONFIGURATION shows both servers. When I clic...