Exchange server crashes

My exchange server crashes about every hour. Sometimes it doesn't crash
but loses all system resources. When I attempt to look at applications
in event viewer I get a 'Event Log File Is Corrupt" message. Any ideas
how to get this fixed?

0
gmarlow (25)

You might want to hire a consultant.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
> My exchange server crashes about every hour. Sometimes it doesn't crash
> but loses all system resources. When I attempt to look at applications
> in event viewer I get a 'Event Log File Is Corrupt" message. Any ideas
> how to get this fixed?

0
curspice6401 (3487)
11/8/2006 6:57:09 PM
That reply makes me worry a bit.
Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> You might want to hire a consultant.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
> > My exchange server crashes about every hour. Sometimes it doesn't crash
> > but loses all system resources. When I attempt to look at applications
> > in event viewer I get a 'Event Log File Is Corrupt" message. Any ideas
> > how to get this fixed?

0
gmarlow (25)
11/8/2006 7:06:39 PM
he's right though...but "event log file is corrupt" might be an AV
issue...are you running file-level AV on the Exchange server?  have you
excluded the appropriate directories?

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

> That reply makes me worry a bit.
> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>> You might want to hire a consultant.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>> > My exchange server crashes about every hour. Sometimes it doesn't crash
>> > but loses all system resources. When I attempt to look at applications
>> > in event viewer I get a 'Event Log File Is Corrupt" message. Any ideas
>> > how to get this fixed?

0
sconkey (3059)
11/8/2006 7:29:35 PM
Well, if my Exchange server was crashing daily I'd be worried too.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
> That reply makes me worry a bit.
> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>> You might want to hire a consultant.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>> > My exchange server crashes about every hour. Sometimes it doesn't crash
>> > but loses all system resources. When I attempt to look at applications
>> > in event viewer I get a 'Event Log File Is Corrupt" message. Any ideas
>> > how to get this fixed?

0
curspice6401 (3487)
11/8/2006 7:34:06 PM
I'm running McAfee Total Protection for Small Business. I ran a scan
and found nothing.
Susan wrote:
> he's right though...but "event log file is corrupt" might be an AV
> issue...are you running file-level AV on the Exchange server?  have you
> excluded the appropriate directories?
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
> > That reply makes me worry a bit.
> > Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> >> You might want to hire a consultant.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message

0
gmarlow (25)
11/8/2006 8:03:50 PM
On 8 Nov 2006 12:03:50 -0800, "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com>
wrote:

>I'm running McAfee Total Protection for Small Business. I ran a scan
>and found nothing.

Maybe its the AV that is crashing the server.

>Susan wrote:
>> he's right though...but "event log file is corrupt" might be an AV
>> issue...are you running file-level AV on the Exchange server?  have you
>> excluded the appropriate directories?
>>
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>> > That reply makes me worry a bit.

0
adavid (8731)
11/8/2006 8:07:53 PM
This is one of the errors I find in the Applications portion of Event
Viewer. Does this seems to possibly be a virus issue?

A non-delivery report with a status code of 4.4.7 was generated for
recipient rfc822;cocowinghk@yahoo.com.tw (Message-ID
<65edf8095a7dda0ca4b5606dd6e08c87@localhost.localdomain>).
Cause: Message in queue has expired.  The sending server tried to relay
or deliver the message but the action could not be completed before the
message expired.
Solution: This message usually indicates a problem on the receiving
server.  Check the validity of recipients address and verify that the
receiving server is configured to receive messages correctly.
Resending the message will place it again in the queue, if the
receiving server is up, message delivery will succeed.

Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> Well, if my Exchange server was crashing daily I'd be worried too.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
> > That reply makes me worry a bit.
> > Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> >> You might want to hire a consultant.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message

0
gmarlow (25)
11/8/2006 8:10:38 PM
Are you excluding the EXCHSRVR\*DATA directories and the SMTP virtual server
data directories from your file-level virus scan?
--

> This is one of the errors I find in the Applications portion of Event
> Viewer. Does this seems to possibly be a virus issue?
>
> A non-delivery report with a status code of 4.4.7 was generated for
> recipient rfc822;cocowinghk@yahoo.com.tw (Message-ID
> <65edf8095a7dda0ca4b5606dd6e08c87@localhost.localdomain>).
> Cause: Message in queue has expired.  The sending server tried to relay
> or deliver the message but the action could not be completed before the
> message expired.
> Solution: This message usually indicates a problem on the receiving
> server.  Check the validity of recipients address and verify that the
> receiving server is configured to receive messages correctly.
> Resending the message will place it again in the queue, if the
> receiving server is up, message delivery will succeed.
>

> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>> Well, if my Exchange server was crashing daily I'd be worried too.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>> > That reply makes me worry a bit.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
11/8/2006 8:59:15 PM
No. I ran another scan and found  approx. 15 potential threats. All
were cookies. I cleaned them and emptied the quarantine folder. Still
getting crashes. Actually the server does not crash it just loses all
resources. I lose my network connections as well as some applications
do not work due to "Insufficient resources". I have a consultant coming
but at $135.00 per hour I would love to get it fixed on my own.

Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> Are you excluding the EXCHSRVR\*DATA directories and the SMTP virtual server
> data directories from your file-level virus scan?
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
> > This is one of the errors I find in the Applications portion of Event
> > Viewer. Does this seems to possibly be a virus issue?
> >
> > A non-delivery report with a status code of 4.4.7 was generated for
> > recipient rfc822;cocowinghk@yahoo.com.tw (Message-ID
> > <65edf8095a7dda0ca4b5606dd6e08c87@localhost.localdomain>).
> > Cause: Message in queue has expired.  The sending server tried to relay
> > or deliver the message but the action could not be completed before the
> > message expired.
> > Solution: This message usually indicates a problem on the receiving
> > server.  Check the validity of recipients address and verify that the
> > receiving server is configured to receive messages correctly.
> > Resending the message will place it again in the queue, if the
> > receiving server is up, message delivery will succeed.
> >

> > Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> >> Well, if my Exchange server was crashing daily I'd be worried too.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message

0
gmarlow (25)
11/8/2006 9:13:51 PM
Bubba, it would be a lot easier communicating with you if you would read the
have been telling you.
--

> No. I ran another scan and found  approx. 15 potential threats. All
> were cookies. I cleaned them and emptied the quarantine folder. Still
> getting crashes. Actually the server does not crash it just loses all
> resources. I lose my network connections as well as some applications
> do not work due to "Insufficient resources". I have a consultant coming
> but at $135.00 per hour I would love to get it fixed on my own.
>
> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>> Are you excluding the EXCHSRVR\*DATA directories and the SMTP virtual
>> server
>> data directories from your file-level virus scan?
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>> > This is one of the errors I find in the Applications portion of Event
>> > Viewer. Does this seems to possibly be a virus issue?
>> >
>> > A non-delivery report with a status code of 4.4.7 was generated for
>> > recipient rfc822;cocowinghk@yahoo.com.tw (Message-ID
>> > <65edf8095a7dda0ca4b5606dd6e08c87@localhost.localdomain>).
>> > Cause: Message in queue has expired.  The sending server tried to relay
>> > or deliver the message but the action could not be completed before the
>> > message expired.
>> > Solution: This message usually indicates a problem on the receiving
>> > server.  Check the validity of recipients address and verify that the
>> > receiving server is configured to receive messages correctly.
>> > Resending the message will place it again in the queue, if the
>> > receiving server is up, message delivery will succeed.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
11/8/2006 9:26:45 PM
I guess I'm a bit confused.  I have read each and every response posted
to this issue. I have looked at all suggestions. What else would you
have me do Ed? No one has offered a solution as of yet. So offereing
more information could help don't you think.
Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> Bubba, it would be a lot easier communicating with you if you would read the
> have been telling you.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
> > No. I ran another scan and found  approx. 15 potential threats. All
> > were cookies. I cleaned them and emptied the quarantine folder. Still
> > getting crashes. Actually the server does not crash it just loses all
> > resources. I lose my network connections as well as some applications
> > do not work due to "Insufficient resources". I have a consultant coming
> > but at $135.00 per hour I would love to get it fixed on my own.
> >
> > Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> >> Are you excluding the EXCHSRVR\*DATA directories and the SMTP virtual
> >> server
> >> data directories from your file-level virus scan?
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message

0
gmarlow (25)
11/8/2006 9:37:05 PM
Start with running Exchange Best Practice Analyzer. Also perform the
performance baseline. Report your findings here.

Microsoft Exchange Analyzers
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/analyzers/default.mspx

James Chong

bubba wrote:
> My exchange server crashes about every hour. Sometimes it doesn't crash
> but loses all system resources. When I attempt to look at applications
> in event viewer I get a 'Event Log File Is Corrupt" message. Any ideas
> how to get this fixed?

0
jamestechman (1266)
11/8/2006 10:07:51 PM
I wouldn't know that you've read, understood and followed the things we're
telling you because all of your responses to suggestions seem to be
incongruent.
--

>I guess I'm a bit confused.  I have read each and every response posted
> to this issue. I have looked at all suggestions. What else would you
> have me do Ed? No one has offered a solution as of yet. So offereing
> more information could help don't you think.
> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>> Bubba, it would be a lot easier communicating with you if you would read
>> the
>> people
>> have been telling you.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>> > No. I ran another scan and found  approx. 15 potential threats. All
>> > were cookies. I cleaned them and emptied the quarantine folder. Still
>> > getting crashes. Actually the server does not crash it just loses all
>> > resources. I lose my network connections as well as some applications
>> > do not work due to "Insufficient resources". I have a consultant coming
>> > but at $135.00 per hour I would love to get it fixed on my own.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
11/8/2006 10:45:02 PM
Thank you James. I have a consultant looking at it right now. I have
run the Analyzer as recently as 2 weeks agao. At that time everything
was okay. I will run it again when I can gain access to the server.
james chong wrote:
> Start with running Exchange Best Practice Analyzer. Also perform the
> performance baseline. Report your findings here.
>
> Microsoft Exchange Analyzers
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/analyzers/default.mspx
>
> James Chong
>

> bubba wrote:
> > My exchange server crashes about every hour. Sometimes it doesn't crash
> > but loses all system resources. When I attempt to look at applications
> > in event viewer I get a 'Event Log File Is Corrupt" message. Any ideas
> > how to get this fixed?

0
gmarlow (25)
11/8/2006 10:46:13 PM
What type of response would you expect from someone who received a
"Well, if my Exchange server was crashing daily I'd be worried too"? Is
that is some way helpful? Tell you what Ed, if you haven't got a
solution then please don't become part of the problem. It's stressful
enough in this business without having to deal with a moron.
Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> I wouldn't know that you've read, understood and followed the things we're
> telling you because all of your responses to suggestions seem to be
> incongruent.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
> >I guess I'm a bit confused.  I have read each and every response posted
> > to this issue. I have looked at all suggestions. What else would you
> > have me do Ed? No one has offered a solution as of yet. So offereing
> > more information could help don't you think.
> > Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> >> Bubba, it would be a lot easier communicating with you if you would read
> >> the
> >> people
> >> have been telling you.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message

0
gmarlow (25)
11/8/2006 10:52:28 PM
On 8 Nov 2006 14:46:13 -0800, "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com>
wrote:

>Thank you James. I have a consultant looking at it right now. I have
>run the Analyzer as recently as 2 weeks agao. At that time everything
>was okay. I will run it again when I can gain access to the server.

The performance analyzers are not really designed to troubleshoot
crashes and the like as much as they are to find sub-optimal
configurations and settings.  If the ExBpa finds something that is not
correct, it most likely is not what is causing your server to crash.
( If it does, well, then you got lucky! )  Hopefully your server is
already fulled patched to the latest SP and hotfixes for both Exchange
and the OS.

If your server is running out of resources or crashing, etc... I would
be inclined to look at 3rd party software , drivers or a hardware
issue.  Hopefully the consultant can find something or if possible
call PSS and they can walk you through some troubleshooting as well.

>james chong wrote:
>> Start with running Exchange Best Practice Analyzer. Also perform the
>> performance baseline. Report your findings here.
>>
>> Microsoft Exchange Analyzers
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/analyzers/default.mspx
>>
>> James Chong
>>

>> bubba wrote:
>> > My exchange server crashes about every hour. Sometimes it doesn't crash
>> > but loses all system resources. When I attempt to look at applications
>> > in event viewer I get a 'Event Log File Is Corrupt" message. Any ideas
>> > how to get this fixed?
0
adavid (8731)
11/9/2006 12:04:05 AM
On 8 Nov 2006 13:13:51 -0800, "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com>
wrote:

>No. I ran another scan and found  approx. 15 potential threats. All
>were cookies. I cleaned them and emptied the quarantine folder. Still
>getting crashes. Actually the server does not crash it just loses all
>resources. I lose my network connections as well as some applications
>do not work due to "Insufficient resources". I have a consultant coming
>but at $135.00 per hour I would love to get it fixed on my own.

Sounds like a memory leak. What 3rd party software is installed and
have you disabled the AV to test if that makes a difference?
Removing the AV is another test if simply disabling makes no
difference.

>Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>> Are you excluding the EXCHSRVR\*DATA directories and the SMTP virtual server
>> data directories from your file-level virus scan?
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>> > This is one of the errors I find in the Applications portion of Event
>> > Viewer. Does this seems to possibly be a virus issue?
>> >
>> > A non-delivery report with a status code of 4.4.7 was generated for
>> > recipient rfc822;cocowinghk@yahoo.com.tw (Message-ID
>> > <65edf8095a7dda0ca4b5606dd6e08c87@localhost.localdomain>).
>> > Cause: Message in queue has expired.  The sending server tried to relay
>> > or deliver the message but the action could not be completed before the
>> > message expired.
>> > Solution: This message usually indicates a problem on the receiving
>> > server.  Check the validity of recipients address and verify that the
>> > receiving server is configured to receive messages correctly.
>> > Resending the message will place it again in the queue, if the
>> > receiving server is up, message delivery will succeed.

0
adavid (8731)
11/9/2006 12:14:44 AM
Thank you all for your help. What we found was the we had a mass spam
hit. There were 6,900 spam emails in our queues. There was such a log
jam that the server was losing resources trying to deal with them. We
emptied the queue and so far so good. All of the hits were from
Thursday. Friday the crashes started. i learn something new everyday!
Andy David - MVP wrote:
> On 8 Nov 2006 14:46:13 -0800, "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Thank you James. I have a consultant looking at it right now. I have
> >run the Analyzer as recently as 2 weeks agao. At that time everything
> >was okay. I will run it again when I can gain access to the server.
>
> The performance analyzers are not really designed to troubleshoot
> crashes and the like as much as they are to find sub-optimal
> configurations and settings.  If the ExBpa finds something that is not
> correct, it most likely is not what is causing your server to crash.
> ( If it does, well, then you got lucky! )  Hopefully your server is
> already fulled patched to the latest SP and hotfixes for both Exchange
> and the OS.
>
> If your server is running out of resources or crashing, etc... I would
> be inclined to look at 3rd party software , drivers or a hardware
> issue.  Hopefully the consultant can find something or if possible
> call PSS and they can walk you through some troubleshooting as well.
>

> >james chong wrote:
> >> Start with running Exchange Best Practice Analyzer. Also perform the
> >> performance baseline. Report your findings here.
> >>
> >> Microsoft Exchange Analyzers
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/analyzers/default.mspx
> >>
> >> James Chong

0
gmarlow (25)
11/9/2006 12:15:30 AM
On 8 Nov 2006 16:15:30 -0800, "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com>
wrote:

>Thank you all for your help. What we found was the we had a mass spam
>hit. There were 6,900 spam emails in our queues. There was such a log
>jam that the server was losing resources trying to deal with them. We
>emptied the queue and so far so good. All of the hits were from
>Thursday. Friday the crashes started. i learn something new everyday!

Ok if that is the case, then I would step back when you get the chance
and implement some changes.

1. If you are using Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 SP1, implement
recipient filtering against Active Directory. No need to send NDRs for
non-existant accounts.
2. It sounds as if you do not have an outbound SMTP gateway. Let the
gateways worry about delivery and not burden the Exch Server.
3. If you do not have anti-spam solution, its time for that as well.
Intall that on an inbound SMTP gateway.

Good Luck.

>Andy David - MVP wrote:
>> On 8 Nov 2006 14:46:13 -0800, "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Thank you James. I have a consultant looking at it right now. I have
>> >run the Analyzer as recently as 2 weeks agao. At that time everything
>> >was okay. I will run it again when I can gain access to the server.
>>
>> The performance analyzers are not really designed to troubleshoot
>> crashes and the like as much as they are to find sub-optimal
>> configurations and settings.  If the ExBpa finds something that is not
>> correct, it most likely is not what is causing your server to crash.
>> ( If it does, well, then you got lucky! )  Hopefully your server is
>> already fulled patched to the latest SP and hotfixes for both Exchange
>> and the OS.
>>
>> If your server is running out of resources or crashing, etc... I would
>> be inclined to look at 3rd party software , drivers or a hardware
>> issue.  Hopefully the consultant can find something or if possible
>> call PSS and they can walk you through some troubleshooting as well.

0
adavid (8731)
11/9/2006 12:29:33 AM
Twice I asked you about whether you were excluding Exchange and SMTP virtual
server data directories from your virus scan, and others asked you about
your virus scanner, and to none of the posts did you answer the questions,
instead responding with irrelevance.  Now you're being argumentative and
insulting.

If you go back and reread the thread, the reply you quote was in response to
your post, "That reply makes me worry a bit" in response to my suggestion
that you hire a consultant, a serious suggestion based on the question you
originally asked, which indicated that you had no clue what was going on.
Seriously, do you really expect anyone to be able to give you any assistance
based on your original post?  To wit:

"My exchange server crashes about every hour. Sometimes it doesn't crash
but loses all system resources. When I attempt to look at applications
in event viewer I get a 'Event Log File Is Corrupt" message. Any ideas
how to get this fixed?"

I mean, quite literally anything could be wrong with your server based on
this complete lack of detail.  It could be your motherboard.  It could be
your disk subsystem or controller.  It could be corrupt software.  It could
be your antivirus corrupting files.  Who knows?  So when I try to help, what
I get back from you is an insult.  Well, I'm done with you.
--

> What type of response would you expect from someone who received a
> "Well, if my Exchange server was crashing daily I'd be worried too"? Is
> that is some way helpful? Tell you what Ed, if you haven't got a
> solution then please don't become part of the problem. It's stressful
> enough in this business without having to deal with a moron.
> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>> I wouldn't know that you've read, understood and followed the things
>> we're
>> telling you because all of your responses to suggestions seem to be
>> incongruent.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>> >I guess I'm a bit confused.  I have read each and every response posted
>> > to this issue. I have looked at all suggestions. What else would you
>> > have me do Ed? No one has offered a solution as of yet. So offereing
>> > more information could help don't you think.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
11/9/2006 1:13:04 AM
Have you tried disabling the AV and seeing if it continues?

Regards,
Hank Arnold

bubba wrote:
> I'm running McAfee Total Protection for Small Business. I ran a scan
> and found nothing.
> Susan wrote:
>> he's right though...but "event log file is corrupt" might be an AV
>> issue...are you running file-level AV on the Exchange server?  have you
>> excluded the appropriate directories?
>>
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>>> That reply makes me worry a bit.

0
rasilon1 (689)
11/9/2006 7:43:13 AM
You need to learn how to communicate on these newsgroups. Ed is one of
the most knowledgeable and helpful people participating. Comments like
this not only piss him off, but also many of us.

Participation in these newsgroups is voluntary and many of us spend
personal time (for no remuneration) to try and help. Insulting posts
like yours will assure that you get very little help from the very
people you need. You owe Ed an apology.

BTW, if you had bothered to call Microsoft PSS, you would have had the
problem solved for about $255 regardless of how long it would take.

Regards,
Hank Arnold

bubba wrote:
> What type of response would you expect from someone who received a
> "Well, if my Exchange server was crashing daily I'd be worried too"? Is
> that is some way helpful? Tell you what Ed, if you haven't got a
> solution then please don't become part of the problem. It's stressful
> enough in this business without having to deal with a moron.
> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>> I wouldn't know that you've read, understood and followed the things we're
>> telling you because all of your responses to suggestions seem to be
>> incongruent.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>>> I guess I'm a bit confused.  I have read each and every response posted
>>> to this issue. I have looked at all suggestions. What else would you
>>> have me do Ed? No one has offered a solution as of yet. So offereing
>>> more information could help don't you think.

0
rasilon1 (689)
11/9/2006 7:51:21 AM
McAfee is more than likely scanning your Exchange databases and streaming
database files.

It's also scanning the inetsrv folder under your %system% root.

You need to make sure you configure exclusions when running server side anti
virus software on an Exchange Server (same goes for Sharepoint/SQL servers
also).

Oliver

> I'm running McAfee Total Protection for Small Business. I ran a scan
> and found nothing.
> Susan wrote:
>> he's right though...but "event log file is corrupt" might be an AV
>> issue...are you running file-level AV on the Exchange server?  have you
>> excluded the appropriate directories?
>>
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message
>> > That reply makes me worry a bit.

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
11/9/2006 10:17:04 AM
Thanks Andy. I will take this information and apply it. I also found my
MX records were incorrectly pointing. Seems my internet provider and
domain holder dropped the ball and repointed me to the wrong location.
They directed me away from my anti-spamming location which sent all of
me email to the wrong location. I have it all corrected now and emails
are starting to trickle in. Thanks again for your help.
Andy David - MVP wrote:
> On 8 Nov 2006 16:15:30 -0800, "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Thank you all for your help. What we found was the we had a mass spam
> >hit. There were 6,900 spam emails in our queues. There was such a log
> >jam that the server was losing resources trying to deal with them. We
> >emptied the queue and so far so good. All of the hits were from
> >Thursday. Friday the crashes started. i learn something new everyday!
>
> Ok if that is the case, then I would step back when you get the chance
> and implement some changes.
>
> 1. If you are using Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 SP1, implement
> recipient filtering against Active Directory. No need to send NDRs for
> non-existant accounts.
> 2. It sounds as if you do not have an outbound SMTP gateway. Let the
> gateways worry about delivery and not burden the Exch Server.
> 3. If you do not have anti-spam solution, its time for that as well.
> Intall that on an inbound SMTP gateway.
>

> Good Luck.
>

> >Andy David - MVP wrote:

> >> The performance analyzers are not really designed to troubleshoot
> >> crashes and the like as much as they are to find sub-optimal
> >> configurations and settings.  If the ExBpa finds something that is not
> >> correct, it most likely is not what is causing your server to crash.
> >> ( If it does, well, then you got lucky! )  Hopefully your server is
> >> already fulled patched to the latest SP and hotfixes for both Exchange
> >> and the OS.
> >>
> >> If your server is running out of resources or crashing, etc... I would
> >> be inclined to look at 3rd party software , drivers or a hardware
> >> issue.  Hopefully the consultant can find something or if possible
> >> call PSS and they can walk you through some troubleshooting as well.

0
gmarlow (25)
11/9/2006 4:30:29 PM
It was never my inetention to piss off anyone. I more than appreciate
these types of forums. They help everyone and are a valuable tool for
us all. What I don't like is having someone tell me how I should talk
or communicate. I looked at each and every reply. I used what
information I could to troubleshoot my issue. I didn't realize I needed
to report back to Ed and let him know my every move. Seems his was the
only ego bruised here. I am always mindful to show my appreciation for
any and all help and have myself offered help on this and other sites.
We do not all think alike or respond in the same manner. In that, I
didn't deserve a lesson in etiguette from Ed or anyone else. So thank
you for your BTW information. Geez, maybe if Ed would have put it as
simply as you did to call Microsoft this could have all be avoided.
Hank Arnold wrote:
> You need to learn how to communicate on these newsgroups. Ed is one of
> the most knowledgeable and helpful people participating. Comments like
> this not only piss him off, but also many of us.
>
> Participation in these newsgroups is voluntary and many of us spend
> personal time (for no remuneration) to try and help. Insulting posts
> like yours will assure that you get very little help from the very
> people you need. You owe Ed an apology.
>
> BTW, if you had bothered to call Microsoft PSS, you would have had the
> problem solved for about $255 regardless of how long it would take.
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
>
> bubba wrote:
> > What type of response would you expect from someone who received a
> > "Well, if my Exchange server was crashing daily I'd be worried too"? Is
> > that is some way helpful? Tell you what Ed, if you haven't got a
> > solution then please don't become part of the problem. It's stressful
> > enough in this business without having to deal with a moron.
> > Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> >> I wouldn't know that you've read, understood and followed the things we're
> >> telling you because all of your responses to suggestions seem to be
> >> incongruent.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message

0
gmarlow (25)
11/9/2006 4:43:18 PM
Thanks for the defense, Hank, but it wasn't necessary.  I don't expect
anyone to treat me with any more respect than they treat anyone else.

I usually don't hesitate to recommend that people call PSS, but this bubba's
question was so poorly worded and lacking in detail, and his follow-ups so
incongruous that I wasn't able to determine whether even PSS would be able
to help him.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Hank Arnold" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
> You need to learn how to communicate on these newsgroups. Ed is one of the
> most knowledgeable and helpful people participating. Comments like this
> not only piss him off, but also many of us.
>
> Participation in these newsgroups is voluntary and many of us spend
> personal time (for no remuneration) to try and help. Insulting posts like
> yours will assure that you get very little help from the very people you
> need. You owe Ed an apology.
>
> BTW, if you had bothered to call Microsoft PSS, you would have had the
> problem solved for about $255 regardless of how long it would take.
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
>
> bubba wrote:
>> What type of response would you expect from someone who received a
>> "Well, if my Exchange server was crashing daily I'd be worried too"? Is
>> that is some way helpful? Tell you what Ed, if you haven't got a
>> solution then please don't become part of the problem. It's stressful
>> enough in this business without having to deal with a moron.
>> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>>> I wouldn't know that you've read, understood and followed the things
>>> we're
>>> telling you because all of your responses to suggestions seem to be
>>> incongruent.
>>> --
>>> Ed Crowley
>>> MVP - Exchange
>>> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
>>>
>>> "bubba" <gmarlow@millerhanson.com> wrote in message

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Exchange 5.5 EDB questions
Hello, I have an exchange 5.5 server, which is running on Windows 2000 server. I have set it up so that I can try to recover some data from a stray pub.edb file. I have tried using the edbutil/eseutil to try and recover the database and change the headers, but I cannot find a definitive answer to the following question. 'How do I import a foreign PUB.EDB folder into my exchange database, and allow users to access it as a folder (Public)?' Thanks in advance, James Copp-Taylor You do not import .edb into Exchange database. You perform disaster recovery, export data to .pst, then imp...

Exchange 5.5
We have an IBM Netfinity 5000 server running Windows NT4, and Exchange Server 5.5 Over the last 2-3 weeks, Outlook has been freezing, not sending messages ("Operation failed"), and Exchange has been just crashing at odd times and unpredictable times The event log shows a lot of 'Error 0xfffffbd3 occurred on message 1-EB1F8B1 during a background cleanup' type messages. when someone trys to send a message it sometimes comes up with "Operation failed" If the user opens a new email, and then cuts and pastes the text from the failed message into the new email, it goes o...

SBS Exchange 2003: Create new user in AD but no exchange mailbox #3
I'm using SBS 2003. Exchange server is SP2. When I create a new user using Active Directory, it prompts me about creating a mail box. It says it's creating a mailbox, then it's done. But no mailbox appears. In fact, if I use the Exchange tasks wizard, I can create, delete, and recreate the mailbox--all say successful without an error message. And yet, no mailbox. This is even after I reboot the PC and sent email to the address. Any ideas what's going on? mike.aes@gmail.com wrote: > I'm using SBS 2003. Exchange server is SP2. > > When I create a new user ...

Outgoing Email Server
In outlook, is it possible to send all messages from one server? It appears that currently the mail is sent using the server for the adress to which the original message was sent. micah356 wrote: > In outlook, is it possible to send all messages from one server? It > appears that currently the mail is sent using the server for the > adress to which the original message was sent. Why not set the SMTP server for all your e-mail accounts identically - use the same server for all of them? ...

extended stored procedure and "A significant part of sql server process memory has been paged out"
After calling my extended stored procedure I am getting the error: "A significant part of sql server process memory has been paged out. This may result in performance degradation" There don't seem to be any other errors, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I am using SQL 2005 on Windows 2003 Server. I know Extended Stored Procedures are supposed to be updated to CLR but sometimes it is just not possible. Thanks. Google seems to return tons of links about that. For example : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918483/en-us and in particul...

Symantec Gateway Security 360 with Win2000/Exchange Server
Exchange Server was not changed Windows 2000 Small Business Server was not changed New Cisco 1841 Router New Symantec Gateway Security 360. All outbound email is functioning properly except email sent to a few domains, ie: AOL. Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: XXXXXXXXXX Sent: 2/17/07 12:06 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: xxxxxxxxxxxx@aol.com on 2/19/07 12:18 PM Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry or contact your administrator. <servername.com #4.4.7> any ideas of how the SGS-360 needs ...

exchange 2003 +recepient update services
Hi i have this issue for months now. I have win2k AD network with exchange 2003. My pdc went down, but before it went down i managed to transfer all the FSO roles to my secondary domain controller successful. All seemed well, but then when i access exchage system manager to create a mailbox for a new user it gets up to 60% on the task but then throws up an error message of : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="unicode" ?> - <taskWizardRun taskName="Create Mailbox" dcName="DC2" buildNumber="6944" runningAs="Administrator@domain....

Need HELP with Exchange Restore/Recovery
Details: 2003 sp2 Exchange Server Enterprise 2003 sp1 Server Enterprise C: drive is 100GB Logical Drive over x4 36GB drives in a RAID 5 set D: drive is 280GB Logical Drive over x5 70GB drives in a RAID 5 set Domain Controller Last night I upgraded our 2003 sp1 Exchange to sp2 + any O/S hot fixes and DST fix. No problem with the upgrade or hot fix, but @ about 200 a.m. I lost two of the five drives in the RAID 5 set (drive D) that had the exchange install. I’m currently replacing the hardware & bringing up the drives & going to recreate the D: drive. (server is bootable) I h...

WINCE6, OEMinit() Crash
I'm doing board bring up for our ARM9 platform. I have XLDR/Eboot up and running and I'm capable of downloading a kernel via Ethernet to NAND flash. As soon as I execute the kernel it crashes in the OEMinit function. When I hit break with my Lauterbach JTAG the SDRAM is just at some random point and creates a bus error that releases the JTAG. I'm able to load all symbols at OAL level, but I can't get it to break in the beginning of OEMinit - the MMU should be turned off af this point? Any thoughts? Rgds Brian No, at the time of OEMInit Windows CE has alread...

How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange 2003 ?
How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange 2003 ? (make BCC field unvalible) In news:u6NrOZiyFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl, RikS <riks.tw@yahoo.com.tw> typed: > How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange > 2003 ? (make BCC field unvalible) Don't know how you'd do this offhand, but I wouldn't. If users are misusing BCC, educate them, and make this an HR issue. It really isn't a technical one. HI Riks go to new mail over there on toolbar u will be getting option in that opti...

Copying inbox from one account to another on exchange 2003
Hi I need to copy the inbox of user from one account to another account. Is there a way to do that? I tried copying to the public folder then copying from public to new account - but the dates changed to todays date for all emails! Any thoughts? Use PSTs. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Ali" <Ali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67F087A-39D7-4DBA-947D-F20F63574952@microsoft.com... > Hi > I need to copy the inbox of user from one account to another account. Is > t...

Exchange doesnt start at boot up problem.
Hi well here we go today for some reason exchange stopped and i mean totally we found out that asp and iis had totally disappeared?. So we re-install them and then re ran exchange with the disaster recovery switch. And everything seemed fine but how wrong i am. Ok so here we go:- Around 50 % of the users get an error message after send and recive 0x80040111 they recieve and send emails but the error appears these users are unable to send email through owa either. All other users are unaffected except for mac users using entourage they are unable to do anything at all (pop3). Also GFI stop...

Exchange and hotmail
I've recently setup an Exchange 2003 server. Everything seems to be working well except one thing. When I try to send mail from a hotmail account to a user on the exchange domain, the message is bounced back to the hotmail account. I've read about PTR records and how some ISP's are trying to do use this to block spam, but I have sent mail from AOL and yahoo and the messages went through. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks, John Here is the posted message. Thanks, John From : <postmaster@mail.hotmail.com> Sent : Wednesday, July 7, 2004 3:57 PM To : us...

Mail Delivery Locally Between Two Exchange servers Locally
Hi, 1) I have two Exchange servers hosting Exchange 2000, Exchange 2003 in the same subnet. 2) two domains are different from each other (DmainA.com.sg, DonainB.com.sg). 3) When these exchange servers send mails, it will go through the SMTP of its own. 4) when DomainA send mail to DomainB or viseversa it will go through the SMTP which results slow delivery of mail. Q:- 1) is there any way i can configure these servers to deliver mail to each other directly. 2) on Exchange 2000 any mail for DomainB must go through any conector,deliver directly or smar...

OL2007+Exchange: Sent items disappear if i move them to another folder...!
I'm seeing a very strange issue with my Outlook2007 (against Exchange)... Sent items disappear if i move them to another folder...! Steps: 1. Send an email. Sent email gets saved under Outlook's default "Mailbox\SentItems" folder. 2. Go to that SentItems folder, and move the mail to another folder (let's say "Foobar") under your inbox. 3. Go to "Foobar", make sure mail is still there. 4. Let Outlook Sync up with Exchange server (or hit "Send and Receive"). 5. You will notice that the mail disappears... ! I did a full text search in my ...

exchange store backup problem
I have a job slotted for every night. It does the following 1. ntbackup server state to a backup file A on harddriv 2. ntbackup exchange store to a backup file B on harddriv 3. ntbackup entire server (excluding server state and exchange store) to 8mm mammouth driv This works great most of the time. My problem is, about once a week when it gets mid way through step 2 the server will just shutdown. It almost feels like a hardware problem but that it does not do it all the time. In fact it did it this last weekend and that was the first time it had done it in about 3-4 weeks.. but ...

Outlook 2002 on Exchange 5.5 -- RTF to Plain Text issues
The owner of our company wants ALL email sent to him in Rich Text Format so he can use an abbreviation program he has that works with MS Word when replying. I created a document telling people how to change their settings for Outlook to ensure all messages are sent in Rich Text. My problem is that since he travels so much he wants to be a POP user on our server. If I send him a message from my PC directly connected to the Exchange server he receives it in RTF. If the President of the company (who is also a POP user) sends him a msg in RTF he receives it in Plain Text. He wants me to expla...

Unable to Migrate Exchange 5.5 mail boxes to 2003 with the Migration Wizard
Hi, We are trying to migrate from and NT4 Domain with Exchange 5.5 to 2003/AD with Exchage 2003. We have the AD Domain set up. The NT4 Domain is still in place and on the same network, so our AD domain is similar but different (the "inc" has been dropped from the NetBIOS name). We have 2 Domain Controllers, and a brand new system to run Exchange 2003 on. It is clean, only has the OS and Exchange on it (we have problems when we get the critical updates. It seems linked to the exchange database going belly up, and we can't install exchange in the first place if the updates are ap...

Decommission mail server
I currently have 2 E2K7 mailbox servers. I have 2 Cas/hub servers and one edge. I have moved all mailboxes to the newer mailbox server and have no public folders which I have created on either server. The Default Public Folder database is pointing to the newer mailbox server on all mail databases. I want to decommission the older mailserver and was wondering what steps need to be taken in regards to public folder databases. On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:00:02 -0700, Maav <marc@lrsddotnet.donotspam> wrote: >I currently have 2 E2K7 mailbox servers. I have 2 Cas/hub servers and o...

How to output file to remote server via Out-File -filepath
I am using Invoke-Sqlcmd from SQLPS to execute a stored proc, and want to output a log to a path on the remote server that I get earlier in my script. So first I get the path by querying a table, and capture it in a $Path variable: $Path=Invoke-Sqlcmd -Query "select value from MyTable where name = 'Path';" -Database MyDB -ServerInstance "$Servername" I then try to execute my stored proc, and put the output to the path I got earlier: Invoke-Sqlcmd -Query "EXEC MyStoredProc;" -QueryTimeout 65534 -Database MyDB -ServerInstance "$Serve...

Where to download: SBS 2008 with Windows Server 2008 Service Pack
I am a technet plus member, but cannot find this version of SBS 2008 referenced below for download there. http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/10/16/coming-soon-sbs-2008-with-windows-server-2008-service-pack-2-included.aspx Can someone please point me at where I can find this version available for download? Thanks ozinca wrote: > I am a technet plus member, but cannot find this version of SBS 2008 > referenced below for download there. > > http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/10/16/coming-soon-sbs-2008-with-windows-server-2008-service-pack-2-included.a...

upgrading to exchange 2003 07-09-04
Hello, We are upgrading to exchange 2003 from exchange 2000. What do we need to do to keep our crm 1.2 working? Thanks Might be necessary to re-install the CRM email router on the exchange server once you've completed the upgrade. >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >We are upgrading to exchange 2003 from exchange 2000. >What do we need to do to keep our crm 1.2 working? > >Thanks >. > ok, thanks >-----Original Message----- >Might be necessary to re-install the CRM email router on >the exchange server once you've completed the upgrade. >...

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe In Windows 2008 Server R2
I am not certain why I keep getting this exception message. In fact I get a pop up most each time I try to access or connect using IE. Did a bit of searching, and have not found a good fix for this yet. I am running a Windows Server 2008 64bit machine. I tried blaming it on IE add-ons, but now I am running in NO-ADDON mode with no add-ons but the problem persists.I would appreciate it if someone helped with with a fix for this on my server. ERRORS TYPES SO FAR ============================================= Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16385, tim...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

User Template crashes Outlook2007
When I select a distribution template from "User Templates in File System" Outlook crashes, sends error amessage, and reloads Outlook. Can't weem to find the problem. ...