Exchange Server 5.5 IS Maintenance Question

Hi there,

We have discovered that we need to allow the Information Store for Exchange
Server 5.5 run and complete it's maintenance procedure.  However, the
problem is no
matter how much time we give it, it still bogs down the server to the point
of rendering it useless.  For instance, we let it run from Friday at 7 pm to
Sunday 5 pm and initiated our backup at 6 pm.  When we came in Monday
morning it was a total mess and the server had to be rebooted (something
that cannot be afforded).  My question is, there a way of segmenting the IS
maintenance procedure or any other recommendations to go about it.  I know
that all it has to do is complete the cycle just once, and then from then on
daily maintenance should not be that resource crazy.  In fact when we ran it
every day it would quite simply not stop. So we would kill the process.
We've only stopped letting it run for a few days only.  I know the longer we
wait though the more time IS maintenance is going to require.

Please let me know if any of you have suggestions and recommendations for
this particular situation.

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

0
bam1 (6)

Have you ran an offline defrag against the information store before running
the daily maint?

I would try running an offline defrag to clean your information store before
running the regualr maintenance against it.

"Bobby" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We have discovered that we need to allow the Information Store for Exchange
> Server 5.5 run and complete it's maintenance procedure.  However, the
> problem is no
> matter how much time we give it, it still bogs down the server to the point
> of rendering it useless.  For instance, we let it run from Friday at 7 pm to
> Sunday 5 pm and initiated our backup at 6 pm.  When we came in Monday
> morning it was a total mess and the server had to be rebooted (something
> that cannot be afforded).  My question is, there a way of segmenting the IS
> maintenance procedure or any other recommendations to go about it.  I know
> that all it has to do is complete the cycle just once, and then from then on
> daily maintenance should not be that resource crazy.  In fact when we ran it
> every day it would quite simply not stop. So we would kill the process.
> We've only stopped letting it run for a few days only.  I know the longer we
> wait though the more time IS maintenance is going to require.
>
> Please let me know if any of you have suggestions and recommendations for
> this particular situation.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bobby

0
Mike1154 (1216)
6/21/2005 7:36:02 PM
No I have not tried an offline defrag.  I will try that (going through the
whole process of dismounting, then defragging store so on and so forth) and
let you know.  Still reading up on just exactly how to go about the offline
defrag because it does not seem to be a flawless process.

> Have you ran an offline defrag against the information store before
running
> the daily maint?
>
> I would try running an offline defrag to clean your information store
before
> running the regualr maintenance against it.
>
> "Bobby" wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > We have discovered that we need to allow the Information Store for
Exchange
> > Server 5.5 run and complete it's maintenance procedure.  However, the
> > problem is no
> > matter how much time we give it, it still bogs down the server to the
point
> > of rendering it useless.  For instance, we let it run from Friday at 7
pm to
> > Sunday 5 pm and initiated our backup at 6 pm.  When we came in Monday
> > morning it was a total mess and the server had to be rebooted (something
> > that cannot be afforded).  My question is, there a way of segmenting the
IS
> > maintenance procedure or any other recommendations to go about it.  I
know
> > that all it has to do is complete the cycle just once, and then from
then on
> > daily maintenance should not be that resource crazy.  In fact when we
ran it
> > every day it would quite simply not stop. So we would kill the process.
> > We've only stopped letting it run for a few days only.  I know the
longer we
> > wait though the more time IS maintenance is going to require.
> >
> > Please let me know if any of you have suggestions and recommendations
for
> > this particular situation.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Bobby

0
bam1 (6)
6/22/2005 7:16:55 PM
Also worth noting is there isn't enough space.  I think this may have a lot
to do with it as well as I have been researching into the matter.  My
private store is approximately 9 GB and the free space available on that
drive at the moment is at 2 GB so I am working on freeing up some space and
see if that makes a difference (most definitely will).  What do you guys
think??

Bobby

"Bobby" <bam@mab.com> wrote in message
> No I have not tried an offline defrag.  I will try that (going through the
> whole process of dismounting, then defragging store so on and so forth)
and
> let you know.  Still reading up on just exactly how to go about the
offline
> defrag because it does not seem to be a flawless process.
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have you ran an offline defrag against the information store before
> running
> > the daily maint?
> >
> > I would try running an offline defrag to clean your information store
> before
> > running the regualr maintenance against it.
> >
> > "Bobby" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > We have discovered that we need to allow the Information Store for
> Exchange
> > > Server 5.5 run and complete it's maintenance procedure.  However, the
> > > problem is no
> > > matter how much time we give it, it still bogs down the server to the
> point
> > > of rendering it useless.  For instance, we let it run from Friday at 7
> pm to
> > > Sunday 5 pm and initiated our backup at 6 pm.  When we came in Monday
> > > morning it was a total mess and the server had to be rebooted
(something
> > > that cannot be afforded).  My question is, there a way of segmenting
the
> IS
> > > maintenance procedure or any other recommendations to go about it.  I
> know
> > > that all it has to do is complete the cycle just once, and then from
> then on
> > > daily maintenance should not be that resource crazy.  In fact when we

> ran it
> > > every day it would quite simply not stop. So we would kill the
process.
> > > We've only stopped letting it run for a few days only.  I know the
> longer we
> > > wait though the more time IS maintenance is going to require.
> > >
> > > Please let me know if any of you have suggestions and recommendations
> for
> > > this particular situation.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Bobby

0
bam1 (6)

RPC over HTTP front end server
Does a running Front End server is mandatary to enable RPC over HTTP? Only one exchange 2003 server is running under Windows 2003 server. In the book Microsoft exchange server 2003 unleashed and all the documentation I've found (microsoft) I didn't see anything about the Front End server. I actually found out on the forum. thank you Thomas juste_ciel@hotmail.com (Thomas Lally) wrote: >Does a running Front End server is mandatary to enable RPC over HTTP? >Only one exchange 2003 server is running under Windows 2003 server. >In the book Microsoft exchange server 2003 unl...

Project Server file versions
In Project Server 2007 is there a way to save off snapshots of a schedule? Currently we check our schedules into Sharepoint, which has file revision history built in, but Project Server 2007 doesn't seem to have a similar capability. I realize I can use baselining to track differences between points in a project history, but let's say for example I make a series of updates to a schedule, publish that project into Project Server, only to find out later that the situation has changed and I need to back out all those changes. How would I get back? I suppose one soluti...

Conditional Formatting question...
Is there a way to have Excel look in a particular cell, and if the value in the cell meets a requirement (such as Complete), then shade the entire row a different color? I can use conditional formatting to get the one cell shaded, but I can't get the rest of the row to be shaded. Thanks! Dino Try using an absolute reference in your Conditional Format formula. For example, if the cell that contains the value "complete" is A1, then refer to it as $A$1. "Dino" wrote: > Is there a way to have Excel look in a particular cell, and if the value in > the ce...

2008 Terminal Server on SBS2003 domain
I’m trying to implement a 2008 Terminal Server on an SBS 2003 domain. I found that the connect server wizard did not work. I manually added the 2008 server to the sbs2003 domain. I setup and configured terminal service licensing with no problems I setup all applications with no problems. However, when we started testing from a remote office we receive an error - The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship. Could anyone help with this issue? me wrote: >I’m trying to implement a 2008 Terminal Server on an SBS ...

backup question
I have a server that I need to temporarily use a external drive for backup. Do I need to change the drive from fat32 to ntfs for the backup to work correctly? SBS 2003 backup program. thanks Bob Hi Bob: If you plan to backup more than 4 GB, you need NTFS. Why temporary? What have you been using? - Larry Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit - Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > I have a server that I need to temporarily use a external drive for > backup. Do I need to change the drive from fat32 to ntfs for the > back...

Junk Email Auto Delete Question
I right click on an email and put on the junk email sender's list. It just sits there. Is it supposed to automatically delete? Also, if that address comes in in the future, is is supposed to automatically delete? I have several email addresses that I have put in the list, but they show up in my InBox anyway. I don't want them simply colored with Organize. I want them to be deleted! Thank you. Office XP Pro. Do you have the junk mail rule configured to delete or to colorize the message? You need to configure it to delete... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach You...

Outlook 2003
Here's the problem: Every tiem I open Outlook it displays an error message that my Exchange server is unavailable. What I know: I know the Exchange server is up & running without any problems. The desktop computer is on the network and can browse and ping different devices. DNS is resolving names properly. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? ...

2 questions regarding count formula
If I have the following data A B C 1 Personnel group type p't number 2 Melinda 1 4 3 Sean 1 5 4 Melinda 1 6 5 Sean 2 30 6 Fay 3 8 7 Melinda 1 32 1. How shall I contruct my formula to count the number of data that satisfy the following criteria: 1. personnel is Melinda 2. group type is 1 3. ...

Connection to server in outlook
How do I fix the error in outlook 2003 that says "A connection to the server could not be established". Thanks Check your server settings and use the Test Account Settings option. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, sovitj5 asked: | How do I fix the error in outlook 2003 that says "A connection to the | server could not be established". | | Thanks I got th...

Rename crm server
Hello, I have one little question. Is there some problems with crm when I rename computer name of crm server? Thanks a lot Renaming your crm server (stand alone CRM server) should be ok. Besure to update the DNS and any network settings in your environment depending on the previous server name. Your Outlook and Web client also needs to be updated. Worst case scenaro - uninstall/reinstall CRM server keeping existing database. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. www.workopia.com "Fanda Koudel" wrote: > Hello, I have one little question. Is there some problems with crm when I > r...

Exchange 5.5 Store.exe Event ID 4097
The following Dr Watson error has occurred 3 times over the last 3 weeks - I cannot determine any pattern or trend: The application, store.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 04/30/2004 @ 13:26:29.025 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 0042466B (<nosymbols>) ========================================================== Any assistance will be appreciated. I have the "Recovey Tab" set to restart on all failures, and it has been restarting OK... ======================================================== Here is the entire entry from the drWts...

formal cell
Can I format a column of zip codes listed 98221-9879 to read 98221? Howeth? Susan, =left(text, number of characters) e.g., =left(b1, 5) HTH Regards, Kevin "Susan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:054d01c39daa$5c87a320$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Can I format a column of zip codes listed 98221-9879 to > read 98221? > Howeth? don't believe that formatting can do this (probably wrong <<vbg>>) anyway in an adjacent cell enter Left(a1,5) and copy down where a1 is your 98221-9879 HTH "Susan" <anonymous@discussion...

CCSRCH tool on Exchange Mailboxes
CCSRCH tool on Exchange Mailboxes. This tool is suppose to go though files to see if there is credit card information in mailboxes. Has anyone had to run a tool like this? ...

Help with Exchange 5.5 Queue problem
Okay, first off, I inherited this Exchange server. It has been over 5 years since I last touched one of these. Client noticed that no e-mails were being sent out. I checked the IMC queues and they were packed full of email going to .tw, .fr, .de, etc. Disconnected the ethernet cable from the back of the box. Ran the much needed virus check and got rid of 225 Netsky and Beagle viruses. Reran a few times just to be on the safe side - server is clean (latest norton updates). And made sure that relaying was also turned off - just for fun. Cleaned out the queues (deleted the contents of the ...

Creating users with ADC / Exchange 5.5 #2
I installed the ADC on my DC and created all connection agreements. Now I can go into ADUC and create new users, but I don't see a mailbox being created for a user. Should that happen? If so, how long should it take? I tried sending an email to the user I created and the mailbox isn't found. Also, there are no Exchange tabs for the users name. ...

Business Portal 2.5 #3
Receive error: The Business Portal data in the database you selected is not compatible with this version of the Business Portal. You must select a different database before continuing Hi What version of Great Plains are you using? -- Regards James[MVP] Visit MBS Blog Central http://mbscentral.blogs.com "thebigo9" <thebigo9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:491CA957-2C6C-4440-BFD6-CACE94C06584@microsoft.com... > Receive error: The Business Portal data in the database you selected is > not > compatible with this version of the Business Portal. Yo...

Saving e-mails on server
I am having a problem with my e-mails being saved on the server of my internet provider. When that file is full, I do not receive any e-mails. I have gone onto providers website and deleted the 152 or so messages. One would think that would fix the problem, but no soap. I am told that my Outlook is set up to save these messages to the server? Any thoughts or suggestions? Or if you really do want them on the server because you check your email from multiple PCs, just leave the box checked but then check one of the other boxes for Delete after XX days or Delete when you delete the m...

French CAL on English Exchange?
Does any one know if it is possible to install French or Spanish CAL's on an English exchange server? Thank you ...

slow outlook after changed adress of exchange server
after we have migrated accounts from one to another mailserver the outlook2000 clients (after changing te settings) are very slow and sometimes they even hang. I supose there are some cached settings....but can's find them. Who can helpme out. P.S. deleting the profile and making a new one works, but there must be another way.... ...

Public Folder Nightmare-Exchange 2003 (Long)
I sure hope some one can help with this.. Part one of my issue I recently added a new Exchange 2003 server to our Ex2k native eniviroment. The Public folder hierarchy would not replicate properly until I sent the hierarchy manually through the ESM. Then, I tried to replicate a folder from the old Ex2k server. The folder showed up immediately on the 2k3 server in 'Public Folder Instances' but with 0 items and 0kb. No data would ever replicate; although new items being posted would go there fine. I built a test lab to try and replicate this behavior. I found that replication work...

OWA Question #14
Guys: would have posted in the small bus. 2003 server but for some reason their site /link was having issues - i've setup over 25 exchange servers running on windows 2003 server and had no problems with OWA - but this is my first small bus. 2003 server R2 installation. everything is working great with sending / receiving mail - but cannot access OWA from outside the network. inside the network i can type the server name\exchange and OWA asks for the login /password- i've tried it using the static ip/exchange and the fully qualified MX name but no luck- The MX record was...

Moving Mailboxes from Exchange 2000 to 2003
Which is better to use, if any, to move mailboxes; admin tools (ADUC) for windows 2000 or the ADUC for windows 2003 when moving mailboxes from exchange 2000 to 2003? Just curious if they is any differance. I've noticed there are more events logged while moving under the 2003 version in my test enviorment which I like. Thanks John When i've done migrations i've always used the 2k3 version. Figured since that's where i was going i might as well use it. Functionally i don't think there is much difference other than perhaps the logging you pointed out. "John&quo...

Exchange 5.5: License problem stopping outgoing mail for new users. (urgent)
Hi, We have an Exchange 5.5 mailserver on 2000Server, and a 2003 server as main server, both are in the Active Dir and the mailserver has been DCPromo:ed. Problem: I activated the licensing service on the servers a while ago, and since then the last added user, and any user I add, cannot send mail externally. Internal mail sends fine, but anything external comes back as "Message delivery failed due to a limitation in the system". (translated from Swedish) When I look at the licenses for Exchange, at the 2003- server, I see 116 CALs. We use about 50 (per seat). When I look a...

Exchange 2000 Migration
We're looking to migrate the mailboxes and public folder data from an Exchange 2000 Server to a new installation of Exchange 2003. The current Exchange server has been running for several years, and we'd like to start fresh. Would performing an upgrade to the 2000 server then adding another 2003 server be the best course, or is there a better way to move the mailboxes over? I haven't seen much info on anything but a straight upgrade from 2000 to 2003... Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. Michael "Michael LaFayette" <lafayette@c...

Outlook 2K3, 1 SMTP acct, 1 Exchange Acct
So, I would like to configure outlook on my home pc to check my personal SMTP account as well as my work Exchange account. I can set them up in tandum fine but they all get dumped to the same inbox, and what's worse it it's not leaving my work emails on the exhange server as I would like. I could setup a filter based on To: to put emails into different folders but that doesn't really work across the board (BCC:, etc.). I would have thought the default behavior would be to have two Inbox folders under the different "Mailbox" expandable navigation menus in Outlook and p...