Exchange server 2000 - Disk space

I am running out of space with my exchange server.

I asked users to delete the unwanted mails but that is not making any
difference in my disk.

Do i need to do something compact database after the mail deletion ?

0
Ansari (4)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:44:02 -0700, Ansari
<Ansari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running out of space with my exchange server.
>
>I asked users to delete the unwanted mails but that is not making any
>difference in my disk.
>
>Do i need to do something compact database after the mail deletion ?

Your database will not reduce in size unless you take it offline and
do a defragmentation. See: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192185
to understand the process.

None of that is any good unless you are showing a good amount of free
space in the database. Check the Application event log for ID 1221.
Only if it's a large amount would I bother doing the offline defrag.

Even then, you have two issues.
1. Your store will just start to grow again. As it is now, the store
will stay the same size and new mail will fill in the empty gaps in
the store, before the store starts growing again.
2. If you're low on disk space you will have nowhere to run the
offline defrag. If you are insistent on doing one then see:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=163627 to help you
understand how to get the stores away to a place where there is
capacity and do the defrag.
0
mark7219 (5666)
6/30/2005 7:43:19 AM
In addition to Mark's comments, are you doing an Exchange aware backup of
the database? An example would be NTBACKUP. If not, you may be running out
of space due to excessive log files. A full backup using NTBACKUP will clear
out log files no longer needed....

You could also add another hard drive and move the database to it....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Ansari" <Ansari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running out of space with my exchange server.
>
> I asked users to delete the unwanted mails but that is not making any
> difference in my disk.
>
> Do i need to do something compact database after the mail deletion ?

0
rasilon1 (689)
6/30/2005 8:14:13 AM
hi,

i am taking NTbackup which is 40 GB in size which is on the same disk where
mailstore resides.

Can i take NTbackup 40 GB to a network share before taking to a tape?

I tried once which is crashing Windows2000?

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:44:02 -0700, Ansari
> <Ansari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am running out of space with my exchange server.
> >
> >I asked users to delete the unwanted mails but that is not making any
> >difference in my disk.
> >
> >Do i need to do something compact database after the mail deletion ?
> >
> Your database will not reduce in size unless you take it offline and
> do a defragmentation. See: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192185
> to understand the process.
>
> None of that is any good unless you are showing a good amount of free
> space in the database. Check the Application event log for ID 1221.
> Only if it's a large amount would I bother doing the offline defrag.
>
> Even then, you have two issues.
> 1. Your store will just start to grow again. As it is now, the store
> will stay the same size and new mail will fill in the empty gaps in
> the store, before the store starts growing again.
> 2. If you're low on disk space you will have nowhere to run the
> offline defrag. If you are insistent on doing one then see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=163627 to help you
> understand how to get the stores away to a place where there is
> capacity and do the defrag.

0
Ansari (4)
6/30/2005 10:15:02 AM

"Hank Arnold" wrote:

> In addition to Mark's comments, are you doing an Exchange aware backup of
> the database? An example would be NTBACKUP. If not, you may be running out
> of space due to excessive log files. A full backup using NTBACKUP will clear
> out log files no longer needed....
>
> You could also add another hard drive and move the database to it....
>
> --
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
>
> "Ansari" <Ansari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running out of space with my exchange server.
> >
> > I asked users to delete the unwanted mails but that is not making any
> > difference in my disk.
> >
> > Do i need to do something compact database after the mail deletion ?

0
Ansari (4)
6/30/2005 10:16:07 AM
Hi ,

Pls Clear Ur Bad Mail Container .
If Nothing Help You , Move Ur Transaction Log Folder To Network
Destination .
make Sure The Network Speed Is Quite Suitable For This process.

0
shabbir550 (14)
6/30/2005 10:22:43 AM
Given a decent network connetion you can easily take 40GB to a backup
file before taking it to tape.
Do a verify as part of the backup job though.
0
mark7219 (5666)
6/30/2005 1:58:39 PM
when i was trying to backup (when it reach 4 GB),  windows is crashing with
blue screen ( begining of physical dump memory).

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> Given a decent network connetion you can easily take 40GB to a backup
> file before taking it to tape.
> Do a verify as part of the backup job though.

0
Ansari (4)
6/30/2005 5:51:02 PM
From what I've read this could be a **VERY BAD** idea..... I'd want some
(actually a **LOT** of very experienced people to agree before I went ahead
with this....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

<shabbir550@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi ,
>
> If Nothing Help You , Move Ur Transaction Log Folder To Network
> Destination .
> make Sure The Network Speed Is Quite Suitable For This process.

0
rasilon1 (689)

Port 25 telnet on Exchange 2K3 servers
Hi, Installed 3 new Exchange 2K3 SP2 for a client the other day, but unable to telnet to port 25, even on the servers them selves... the servers are 2 Enterprise & 1 standard 2K3 SP2, they also have Mcafee Antivirus ( file level with Exchange folder exclusion ) and Mcafee GroupShield on them... Curiously all email functions are ok, able to send and receive internally and to Internet, just not able to telnet to port 25 on any servers... If I add another port to the SMTP VS, then able to telnet that port, but not 25, so I think one of the Anti-virus programs is stopping port 25... ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 Q
Dear all, I have a few fundamental questions. 1) Can Antivirus software for Exchange Server that uses AVAPI Version 2 corrupt the store database? 2) Is it possible for MAPI client like outlook 2002 and 2003 corrupt the store database? 3) Can third party backup software corrupt the store during backup? Thanks. Regards, Kueh. 1. I've never seen this happen, though I wouldn't say it is impossible. 2. Same as 1. 3. I've never seen the backup software itself corrupt a mailbox store. Usually, backup software is one of the mechanisms to let you know that there is corruption...

Exchange e-mail address attributes?
Hi! :-) I'm writing a script to find all a users e-mail addresses (to get rid of old sub domains) but I'm not sure I'm looking in all the available attributes... A list of these would be perfect! I'm also interested in updated lists of ad and exchange attributes. I've got some xls files but they're old and only have text descriptions of very few of the attributes. Thanks a million!!! :-) /Sofia The main mail attributes for exchange are mail targetaddress proxyaddresses If you don't actually need a script, but just need a list of smtp addresses try this ...

Store.exe crashing on 2 Exchange 2003 servers
We have 2 Exchange 2003 SP1 servers (Win 2K SP4) which have developed a problem with the store crashing every half hour or so. System event log: The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action. Application event log Faulting application store.exe, version 6.5.7226.3, stamp 407db771, faulting module storevs2.dll, version 7.1.367.0, stamp 40746ce5, debug? 0, fault address 0x00002238. I think it is interesting that both servers are crashing, but not at exact...

Exchange (unofficial) service pack 5
During 2003 in an effort to correct an Information Store Hung Thread, while stopping the service, in Exchange Server 5.5, I was provided, by Microsoft, a partially developed Exchange SP5. As I indicated the official Exchange SP5 was never released. I am trying to help a coworker who is restoring old data from Exchange 5.5 back-up tapes. He needs to install the appropriate Service Pack for the restore to work, and I am trying to locate the unofficial Exchange SP5 to help him. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >During 2003 in...

Exchange delayed delivery/NDR due to 421+Server+too+busy (greylist bug?)
Exchange 2003 SP2. I think we are seeing the exchange "greylisting" bug where emails sometimes get stuck and are not sent, nor are the users notified in a timely manner. In my case it is not greylisting but a 421+Server+too+busy error that exchange is not retrying on. Most of the time the emails to a particular client get through, it is the occasional one that does not. If I look at the message history in the message tracking cneter it shows "Message transferred to OTHER_MAILSERVER through SMTP" for the successful sends. For the failed sends it shows ""Me...

Exchange Server 2007 Public Folders Permission issue
We have a consultants folder with over a hundred sub folders. Is there any way to propagate the permissions down to all the sub folders? Get-PublicFolder \<Parent_Folder_Tree>\Consultants -Recurse | Add-PublicFolderClientPermission -AccessRights <see_help_for_optoins> -User <Domain\User> -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Stuart Reicher" <StuartReicher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF14A00D-D9E6-486D-9237-C7ED652524F5@microsoft.com... > We have a cons...

OWA 2003 Log Off Button gives HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
When Logging off of 2003 OWA I get a page cannot be displayed error message. Everything else seems to be working fine. There's a KB about this. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Warren" <Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97769784-4AA2-4445-A0AA-86E0581681A1@microsoft.com... > When Logging off of 2003 OWA I get a page cannot be displayed error > message. > Everything else seems to be working fine. Ed, I did a search in the Knowledge Base and found nothing!!!! Help! Warren ...

Publisher 2000 to Publisher 2003
I have been using Publisher 2000 and working fine. I have a webpage and just Save as Webpage and then upload to my server. Now that I have XP and Publisher 2003 I don't see the Save as Webpage, only Publish to Web. Have tried this and it doesn't open after it has been uploaded the way it did before and it takes longer to upload than 2000 did. Probably doing something wrong and just wanted to see if someone else has had this problem or what I'm doing wrong. Have a good day. Jim Jim wrote: > I have been using Publisher 2000 and working fine. I have a webpage > a...

Spacing #2
Hi Trim removes spacing in the beginning and end of word. How can i delete a spacing betwee two words (name) ex "De Wit" > i want "dewit" THX Luc You can use: =substitute(a1," ","") to remove all the spaces (leading/trailing/embedded) or =lower(substitute(a1," ","")) if you really wanted lower case. Luc Vandenhoeck wrote: > > Hi > Trim removes spacing in the beginning and end of word. > How can i delete a spacing betwee two words (name) ex "De Wit" > i want > "dewit" > THX Luc -- ...

SBS2008
Have a customer who has a telephone system that uses an IMAP connectionj to the users Inbox to pick up voicemails. Since upgrading from Exchange 2003 (SBS2003) to Exchange 2007 (SBS2008) this has stopped working. Users userrnames and passwords are still the same. I've setup Outlook to make an IMAP connection to their mailbox but this doesn't appear to work, I guess this is why their telephone can't logon either. I just get a box come up prompting for a username and password ?? Is their more to it in Exchange 2007 than just doing the regular Outlook IMAP set...

Exchange 2007 Error Updating Free/Busy Information
Here's the Message we're receiving in our event log. The Messaging environment was moved from Exchange 2000 to 2007. "Error updating public folder with free/busy information on virtual machine EXCHSVR. The error number is 0x80040115" This error looks like it started after the DST Time change. Any ideas? ...

some emails not coming through since going to exchange, no details on why
Have a user that got 2 daily emails. One from a partner of ours that was an automatic email sent, with a status of things. Has an attachment that is a .docr The other is a daily list of canadian exchange rate. No attachments. He no longer recieves these emails and ht doesn't get any emails explaining why. Any idea's? Reply Check your SMTP protocol logs - are these emails getting to your server at all? Are you receiving other emails from outside on that email address? Other addresses? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog -----------------...

OL 2000 .pst file moving to new computer
I am trying to export a OL 2000 .pst file running under Windows XP with SP 1. I want to export or save the file so I can open it up on my other computer using Outlook 2000 under Windows 98. When opening the outlook.pst file on the computer with Windows 98 I received the following message - "File access is denied; You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook outlook.pst." I had exported that outlook.pst file to a CD and then copied it into WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook ...

Need Exchange limit help
I have a new SBS 2008 Server setup in a manufacturing environment. Two users within the company send and receive large CAD files. How do I allow this process? Right now one user is try to send a 185MB file and it is saying "the message being sent exceeds the message size established for this user." I have tried setting the limit in the console to 10GB and now I have unchecked the "enforce the mailbox quotas" box and he still can't send. If I go into the Exchange Management Console I still don't see how I can make this work. Is this something that...

Moving SOMgr & Server
After installing POS,Mgr & server one one computer (and it works fine) I have moved the Server and Mgr to another computer on the network. The POS and dongole remain on original computer. When I go into the Mgr I get the 941 error about dondgle not being found. Is there something else I need to do so Mgr sees the dongle on POS machine? The POS station with the dongle needs to be Register #1 and needs to be the first machine to run RMS POS every day. Tom "NcS" wrote: > After installing POS,Mgr & server one one computer (and it works fine) I have > moved the Ser...

integration microsoft crm 4.0-sharepoint server 2007
Hello, I searched information about integration microsoft crm 4.0 with sharepoint server 2007, but I didn't find something, I don't know if I can integrate that.. Can you tell me about that? Thanks!! yorleni_jimenez@yahoo.com Hi, Yes, you can get both integrated. You mostly need to work on MOSS side. Following blog is on CRM 3 and MOSS but it will give you pretty good idea; http://rehmangul.wordpress.com/2007/05/08/ms-crm-and-sharepoint-2007-integration/ -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP CRM Freelance Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MV...

Move server
I have 2 NT 4.0 boxes running Exchange 5.5. I want to move all the Exchange site and mailbox info to the newer of the boxes. I know there is a white paper on this. Can someone point me in the right direction? Cannot seem to find it on my own. Thanks and happy holoiday Frank Frank, The first step would be to move all of the mailboxes to the newer server. The second step would be to decommission the older server. I have included a link to an article detailing how to remove the first server in a site. 152959 XADM: How to Remove the First Exchange Server in a Site http://support.micr...

Linked Servers / OLE DB Jet4.0 request fails!
Hello I tried to execute an sql statement throught SQL OLEDB command It fails since I moved my configuration on 64 bits Windows 2008 Server System and migrate Sql Server 2005 to 2008. I want to execute an SQL Statement into an Excel file with Sql Linked Servers OleDbConnection sq = new OleDbConnection(); sq.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=xxx;user id=xxx;password=xxx;"; [...] sql = "insert into openquery(... FROM [Export$]) ... OleDbCommand c = new OleDbCommand(sql, sq); c.ExecuteNonQuery(); Returns : can't execute the query, prov...

Calendar 2000 & 2007 Status of Meeting Attendees Changing
I have a client who has set up a meeting and sent an update and the following occurs: "once I sent an update, my attendees changed to “optional” from “required” and the tracking is inaccurate as someone who accepted is not showing up as receiving a response. Another attendee did not receive the update at all." She also is asking whether or not it makes a difference is she uses a distribution list in her meeting invitation. Can anyhone shed any light on why this is happening? -- LPS ...

Exchange 5.5 #18
I currently have a Windows 2000 Server box that is part of it's own Domain (this box is for testing purposes) I installed Exchange 5.5, but I am currently having troubles using outlook to connect to it to test if email works properly. I have set up a user in the AD Users/Computer, and configured a mail box within Exchange 5.5, is there someting I'm missing, when I goto Outlook, and click the send/recieve button, I keep getting the logon username/password box, I enter the username and password, but no luck. I also have configured the internet mail connection to default, if I'm miss...

Looking for a company to manage a co lo'd Exchange 2003 server.
I have a client that has just deployed a Exchange 2003 system at a co lo and has quickly realized that it is more than they can handle. They have asked me to help them find a company to manage and support their email system for approx 200 users. Does anyone have any suggestions of companies that can handle this? TIA John if you google "hosted Exchange" you'll see lots of hits...probably need to look into a few to find the right fit for you, but it appears there are lots of options for this... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "John" <nospam@hotmail.com> wr...

Update Rollup 2 and Terminal Server
I've been using the terminstall.cmd script that MS put together for installing CRM 3 for Outlook on Terminal Server. How should I install the UR 2 on Terminal Server? I can't find any direction on this so any hints would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Having the same issue myself. Can anyone point us to some suggestions? -Eric "NW" wrote: > I've been using the terminstall.cmd script that MS put together for > installing CRM 3 for Outlook on Terminal Server. > > How should I install the UR 2 on Terminal Server? > > I can't find any dir...

Exchange 200 to 2003 upgrade
We are planning an upgrade of our Exchange 2000 systems to Exchange 2003. The current Exchage 2000 systems are 2 node clusters Active/Passive and the upgrade will be done by evicting an Exchange 2000 node and then rejoining a Windows 2003/ Exchange 2003 server to the cluster with shared storage. Has anyone done this and what is their experience in regards to how long the Exchange DB upgrade may take (in general/ your experience in relation to size of DB)? Also as to what the best PerfMon counters are to watch during the upgrade process. Any and all help is appreciated Mike You might be b...

Send To and pdf and Outlook 2007 and Server 2008 and SQL 2005
Hi all, I am having trouble with simply sending pdf documents from the screen layout window for any report generated in GP. I can however send a txt report via email using the Send To functionality. The button is active as is the option to select either Txt or Pdf but the new message window that normally opens up for you to insert a mail address (with the respective attachment) simply does not open. My client is using Outlook 2007, the server is on Server 2008 running SQL 2005 SP3. We get the same issue from all clients as well - the clients are on Windows XP or Visat combination. ...