Exchange send and receive limit question

We are using Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003
I have 2 separate mailbox stores
One store is for calendaring only and the other is for email
The calendaring store we set the send and receive limit to 6K.
Management thinks this will help stop viruses.
The other we set the send and receive limit to 10 MB.
As of now each time I create a mailbox, I have to set these values manually.
Is there a way to create a policy to set this limit when a user is created
in
either store?  I have looked into creating the users with a script, but have
not found a way to set this value in script either.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Terry Ball
Windows Administrator
DHMC
tvball@hitchcock.org

You can set the mailbox size limits/quotas on the mailbox Store itself, or
for more than 1 Stores you can create a System Policy.
In either case, these limits will not show up in individual user's
properties in ADUC - that's used if you want to bypass the limits set by the
Store and/or the Policy. (Policy limits override the Store limits, and
individual user limits in ADUC override the Policy & Store limits).

This script will show you mailbox quotas, including those set on Stores and
by System Policy:
SCRIPT: Show mailbox quotas (including Store & Policy quotas)
http://www.exchangepedia.com/blog/2007/01/script-show-mailbox-quotas-including_17.html

--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Terry Ball" <terry.v.ball@hitchcock.org> wrote in message
> We are using Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003
> I have 2 separate mailbox stores
> One store is for calendaring only and the other is for email
> The calendaring store we set the send and receive limit to 6K.
> Management thinks this will help stop viruses.
> The other we set the send and receive limit to 10 MB.
> As of now each time I create a mailbox, I have to set these values
> manually.
> Is there a way to create a policy to set this limit when a user is created
> in
> either store?  I have looked into creating the users with a script, but
> have not found a way to set this value in script either.
>
> Thanks for any help in advance!
>
> Terry Ball
> Windows Administrator
> DHMC
> tvball@hitchcock.org

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
1/23/2007 4:02:19 PM
These quotas are set and we do not override them.  However there is no
mailbox quota setting for the send or receive limit.  You can set the do not
send if mailbox full, but not the other.  If you go to
properties of user in AD, click on Exchange General tab and select Delivery
Restrictions, their is separate settings for send and receive message limit
that is different than the full mailbox delivery restriction.  I have the
full mailbox quota set for default settings for the users.  However there is
no way to set these restrictions that I have found by policy, exchange or
AD.  Someone hinted at using different SMTP virtual configurations, but I
can't find any documents on how to do that.

Thanks

In news:%23Gq6jbzPHHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Terry Ball <terry.v.ball@hitchcock.org> typed:
> These quotas are set and we do not override them.  However there is no
> mailbox quota setting for the send or receive limit.  You can set the
> do not send if mailbox full, but not the other.  If you go to
> properties of user in AD, click on Exchange General tab and select
> Delivery Restrictions, their is separate settings for send and
> receive message limit that is different than the full mailbox
> delivery restriction.  I have the full mailbox quota set for default
> settings for the users.  However there is no way to set these
> restrictions that I have found by policy, exchange or AD.  Someone
> hinted at using different SMTP virtual configurations, but I can't
> find any documents on how to do that.
> Thanks

Veering off topic a bit - you say that "management thinks this will stop
viruses" - I don't think this is a useful approach. The best way to stop
viruses is to use good, regularly updated antivirus software integrated with
Exchange, and you haven't mentioned what you've got running there....

> "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>> You can set the mailbox size limits/quotas on the mailbox Store
>> itself, or for more than 1 Stores you can create a System Policy.
>> In either case, these limits will not show up in individual user's
>> properties in ADUC - that's used if you want to bypass the limits
>> set by the Store and/or the Policy. (Policy limits override the
>> Store limits, and individual user limits in ADUC override the Policy
>> & Store limits). This script will show you mailbox quotas, including
>> those set on
>> Stores and by System Policy:
>> SCRIPT: Show mailbox quotas (including Store & Policy quotas)
>> http://www.exchangepedia.com/blog/2007/01/script-show-mailbox-quotas-including_17.html
>>
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MVP - Exchange
>> www.zenprise.com
>> NEW blog location:
>> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>>

>> "Terry Ball" <terry.v.ball@hitchcock.org> wrote in message
>>> We are using Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003
>>> I have 2 separate mailbox stores
>>> One store is for calendaring only and the other is for email
>>> The calendaring store we set the send and receive limit to 6K.
>>> Management thinks this will help stop viruses.
>>> The other we set the send and receive limit to 10 MB.
>>> As of now each time I create a mailbox, I have to set these values
>>> manually.
>>> Is there a way to create a policy to set this limit when a user is
>>> created in
>>> either store?  I have looked into creating the users with a script,
>>> but have not found a way to set this value in script either.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help in advance!
>>>
>>> Terry Ball
>>> Windows Administrator
>>> DHMC
>>> tvball@hitchcock.org

0
lanwench (7567)
1/24/2007 2:42:57 PM
Not allowed to iterate, suffice to say I am bound by some rules that I don't
agree with, but don't have the ability to change!

However the issue I am asking about is still not ansered.  Is there a way to
set the send and receive size by policy or script?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> In news:%23Gq6jbzPHHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
> Terry Ball <terry.v.ball@hitchcock.org> typed:
>> These quotas are set and we do not override them.  However there is no
>> mailbox quota setting for the send or receive limit.  You can set the
>> do not send if mailbox full, but not the other.  If you go to
>> properties of user in AD, click on Exchange General tab and select
>> Delivery Restrictions, their is separate settings for send and
>> receive message limit that is different than the full mailbox
>> delivery restriction.  I have the full mailbox quota set for default
>> settings for the users.  However there is no way to set these
>> restrictions that I have found by policy, exchange or AD.  Someone
>> hinted at using different SMTP virtual configurations, but I can't
>> find any documents on how to do that.
>> Thanks
>
> Veering off topic a bit - you say that "management thinks this will stop
> viruses" - I don't think this is a useful approach. The best way to stop
> viruses is to use good, regularly updated antivirus software integrated
> with Exchange, and you haven't mentioned what you've got running there....
>>

>> "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>>> You can set the mailbox size limits/quotas on the mailbox Store
>>> itself, or for more than 1 Stores you can create a System Policy.
>>> In either case, these limits will not show up in individual user's
>>> properties in ADUC - that's used if you want to bypass the limits
>>> set by the Store and/or the Policy. (Policy limits override the
>>> Store limits, and individual user limits in ADUC override the Policy
>>> & Store limits). This script will show you mailbox quotas, including
>>> those set on
>>> Stores and by System Policy:
>>> SCRIPT: Show mailbox quotas (including Store & Policy quotas)
>>> http://www.exchangepedia.com/blog/2007/01/script-show-mailbox-quotas-including_17.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bharat Suneja
>>> MVP - Exchange
>>> www.zenprise.com
>>> NEW blog location:
>>> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>>>

>>> "Terry Ball" <terry.v.ball@hitchcock.org> wrote in message

"Terry Ball" <terry.v.ball@hitchcock.org> wrote:

>Not allowed to iterate, suffice to say I am bound by some rules that I don't
>agree with, but don't have the ability to change!
>
>However the issue I am asking about is still not ansered.  Is there a way to
>set the send and receive size by policy or script?

You can use LDFDE to import these values, or you can use a Perl (or
VBS, etc.) script to do it. They're property values of the user.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

How to push traffic bandwidth on certain connections and limit others ?
On my remote WinXP system I have several programs (servers, remote desktop VNC, virus signature updates, remote monitoring,...) which share the bandwidth of an internet broadband connection. However if I connect to this server through remote desktop/VNC I want to limit/throttle all other connection traffic so that I can access the server without stuttering. I heard that there are tools which allow limiting of traffic for certain programs in certain conditions. Which programs are suitable for this purpose? Peter ...

Exchange Migration Wizard and creating new SMTP reply addresses
Hello, I'm migrating from a Netware 6.5 environment, but am going to be using another tool because of the need to migrate archives and personal address books. I would, however, like to use the Microsoft tool to populate the GWISE SMTP address with the old GroupWise address. Is there a way to run the Exchange Migration Wizard in a mode that will only create the additional GWISE SMTP addresses for all of my users? Aaron ...

Outlook 2002 question #4
Hi. My Outlook 2002 used to show whether I had replied to a message and on what date in a yellow bar across the top part of the preview pane. I can't seem to find out how to get that to show again. Does anyone know how to set this option up? I have looked all around in the menus and such but cannot see where to do this. Thanks Robin Anyone know the answer to this problem? Robin "Robin" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message news:W8qdnXfkXPysoUPeRVn-rw@comcast.com... > Hi. My Outlook 2002 used to show whether I had replied to a message and > on > what date in...

Received Emails
How can I change the font color for received emails? Everybody has told me when they try to reply to my emails the font color is yellow and not bright enough to read. I've changed the font under tools, options, mail format to black. Also, changed font under view, arange by, custom, other settings. Is there any other place to change the fonts? Any help would be greatly appreciated! ...

Send and receive message freeze...
When I open Entourage and press send and receive, it keeps on freezing. I keep on having to restart it. I have had the program for past several years and it's never done this.... whats going on? salernk@gmail.com <salernk@gmail.com> wrote: > When I open Entourage and press send and receive, it keeps on > freezing. I keep on having to restart it. I have had the program > for past several years and it's never done this.... whats going on? Corruption maybe?? Try launching Entourage pressing the option key down to rebuild your identity, Cor...

point exchange to a different priv1.edb file
I have a snapshot of my priv1.edb file on a different drive. I know that exchange 2003 lets us me the priv1.edb file to a different location if the file isn't already there. Is there a way to have exchange point to a different priv1.edb and use it? On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:31:01 -0700, Han <Han@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I have a snapshot of my priv1.edb file on a different drive. I know that >exchange 2003 lets us me the priv1.edb file to a different location if the >file isn't already there. > >Is there a way to have exchange point to a differ...

Internet mail con Exchange 5.5
Buenas : Quisiera hacerles una consulta: Tengo un servidor de correo Exchange 5.5 que maneja buzones internos que tengo la opci=F3n de crear cuando creo un usuario del dominio (Dominio NT 4). Tengo tambien cuentas de mail externas POP3, las cuales configuro manualmente en cada PC que lo requiera (No todas tienen mail externo).Es decir el usuario descarga los mails externos directamente del pop3 de mi ISP , pero quedan guardados en el buzon de Exchange. La consulta es si es posible hacer que el exchange configure por usuario esas cuentas externas a las cuentas que yo le indique, sin tener la n...

Question about moving Outlook 2003 from an old computer to a new one
Microsoft Office Assistance has the following article, which describes the details for moving Outlook 2000 to a new computer: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010549451033.aspx I was wondering what, if anything, has changed for Outlook 2003? I'm asking only becuase I can't find a similar article, and I'm going to need to do this later next week. Thanks! Larry Larry Kahm <lkahm@nospam_heliotropicsystems.com> wrote: > Microsoft Office Assistance has the following article, which > describes the details for moving Outlook 2000 to a new computer: &g...

Exchange folders
I am having difficulty discovering how to send a document to an exchange folder in Excel XP 2007. I cannot see the phrase or Icon on the Excel options, customize and all commands. ...

Remove Exchange 2003 ADC server from Admin Group
DC's: win2k3 exchange: all 2003 enterprise sp2 1 FE /3 BE -Tried to remove my First exchange server using microsoft's KB822931. -Problem is server still has the ADC server role mapped to it. -Turned it off to test if it's ok but my BE servers servers have started queuing some emails that htey are trying to send to this server. -Emails are from Servername-IS@exchg.mydomain.edu Subject: Hierarchy the other one is the same but subject: Status. -Do i even need to move this role (ADC Server) in light that i dont have any exch 5.5 servers? -can i just uninstall exhc...

MX/DNS problem in Exchange
One of my users (on SBS 2003) has intermittent problems sending mail to a particular user elsewhere. After some research, I found out that the recipient's mail mail servers were moved from one domain hosting provider to a new domain provider, but they left their website (xxx) & domain hosting (.com) with the existing domain provider. So... the recipient's domain, abc.com correctly resolves to an IP address at the old provider, 123.com. I can nslookup or ping abc.com, and it correctly resolves to the old IP address. However, the MX records (as tested externally via a websit...

Exchange & SP1
How can I check if my Exchange Server 2003 is with or without SP1 ? Where I can find info about that... Exchange Administrator, Servers. Look at the right under 'Server Version' "noname" <noname@noname.com> wrote in message news:ccuat6$b8h$1@ls219.htnet.hr... > How can I check if my Exchange Server 2003 is with or without SP1 ? > Where I can find info about that... > > I'm having trouble finding what bug fixes SP1 has in it. I'm trying to see if it fixes KB 838414. >-----Original Message----- >Exchange Administrator, Servers. Look at ...

Exchange 2k3 Public Folders/NNTP
Another newbie query - have tried to create an NNTP feed (so that I can monitor these newsgroups) and have managed a peer to peer pull arrangement with outbound posting. However, having got almost all of the way, I have the sub folders in Internet Newsgroups, but no posts have appeared. I also note that I am unable to delete these newsgroup folders, even as administrator on the server machine - it seems that the only owner is the Exchange server itself. What am I missing here - it must be something obvious?!! TIA Steve ...

_CrtDumpMemoryLeaks question
Is _CrtDumpMemoryLeaks valid for new and delete operator? When I insert this debug code, it show many CString memory leak which called by new operator But if I remove the code, no memory leak output Hooway ...

Automatic CC/BB from the Exchange 2003
How can i add automatic cc/bcc for a particular email ID, from the server end The server being used is Exchage 2003 Thanks in advance RSD On 19 May 2005 20:42:31 -0700, "ray_da" <rayo.dalal@gmail.com> wrote: >How can i add automatic cc/bcc for a particular email ID, from the >server end > >The server being used is Exchage 2003 > > > > >Thanks in advance >RSD This depends on exactly what you want to achieve. You could take a look at this: http://www.ivasoft.biz/sj.shtml but it might not be what you want as the requirement wasn't too cle...

recieving reminders since re load of exchange 2000
I have recently done a reinstall of exchange 2000 using setup and selecting reinstall all components. Before doing this I did an offline backup of mdbdata. After reinstall moved backed up mdbdata back. All is working okay all emails and public folders are as before. However a few users are complaining that they are recieving reminders from months ago. Any ideas all I can see is the outlook.exe /cleanreminders to fix it. Andrew ...

Exchange Email Router CRM Server 2003 & Exchange 2000
Hi NG, I´ve installed CRM1.2 on Win Server 2003 - everythings OK - afterwards I installed the Email Router and followed the steps in IG. The problem now is that I could send mails but incoming mails are not in support queue or in CRM system anyway (answers to a crm mail guid included!) Is it possible to use Server 2003 and Exchange 2000? Thanks and Regards, Bernd Michitsch Yes, they are supported. Where are you sending those messages from? The router will only capture mail that comes in via the SMTP gateway, so it must come from the outside. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ------...

Error after attempting to send message OTL6
each time i attempt to send a message in outlook6 the send and receive bar will proceed right to the end and immediately post following: unknown error protocal:SMTP, port:0, Secure(SSL):No Error Number OX800C0131 The new window: DIRECTDB.DLL HAS COMMITTED ERROR MSIMN WILL CLOSE NOW PROPERTIES OF DIRECTDB.DLL IS VERSION 6.0.2800.1106 HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!! waynedog_7@passport.com <waynedog@prodigy.net> wrote: > each time i attempt to send a message in outlook6 Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Why receive duplicated copies of every email?
Hi there, I have an Exchange 2003 server. Users are using Outlook 2003. There is one issue with one user's account. When he sends out emails from his Outlook 2003, some recipients sometimes receive two copies of every email. It doesn't always happen, but the majority. He is sending to recipients individually, not any distribution group. If I look at the Massage Tracking from the System Manager, it does show those emails are delivered twice. Any idea would be greatly appreciated, Ross Are they delegates for anyone else on the DL? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replie...

Outlook 2007 Delegate not receiving invite emails
One of my assistants is not always receiving meeting invites (on behalf of) from our clients even though the executive she supports has her as a delegate. They are both using Outlook 2007 on a 2007 exchange server. Any ideas or others having this trouble? ...

Sending an email to multiple contacts
As suggested by people on one of these newsgroups, I have abandoned Outlook's broken distribution list functionality to use this "Categorize" feature. So I now have my hundreds of individuals all categorized and I want to send an email to everyone in a certain category. I do not see any sign that this functionality is supported, in fact, it seems like Microsoft actually broke the functionality intentionally. I have created my email and have opened my contacts. I sorted based upon category, selected the items in the category and dragged those items to the "To.....

Rehome Exchange
ex1- Exchange 2000 Standard SP3, Windows 2000 Server Standard SP4 + all the current security patches. The first server in site ex2-Exchange 2003 Enterprise, Windows 2003 Server Enterprise + all the current security patches Scenario 1 site with two Exchange servers. The server resides in the same physical location. The old Exchange 2000 should retire and all data and objects should be transferrred to the new Exchange 2003 server No problem moving mailboxes. I 've followed the instructions for rehoming the public folders and the Free/Busy objects etc. The new server is the master However, o...

Was this post helpful to you?
Hi gang, Just curious about the Yes, No selection on the question, "Was this post helpful to you? " In a case where I posted a question and received numerous helpful responses, which collectively provided the final solution, do I select Yes for each response that was helpful, or just select Yes on the very last post when the topic has ended? Thanks Peter On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:44:01 -0700, Petermgr <Petermgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi gang, > >Just curious about the Yes, No selection on the question, "Was this post >helpful to you? "...

Query Question... 03-06-10
I have this expression to get all data before "50 underscores" Expr1: Left([Job_Operation.Note_Text],InStr(1,[Job_Operation.Note_text],"_________________________________________________",1)-2) & "" & DLookUp("[Note_Text]","Operation","[Operation]='H.T. 01'") ie: First Line "Blah" 'CR' Second Line ___________ 'CR' Third Line "Blah" The text after the underline is getting replaced by 'H.T. 01'. I seem to be getting additional Chariage Returns left behind. I h...

Slideshow function
In the new Media Center for Win7, I can't seem to find a way to set the slideshow to only show the .jpgs in the currently playing music folder. I have many artwork scans (cover, tray, booklet, etc) in each albums music folder. I've used slideshow plugin's for Winamp and WMP 10 that do this very well (only show images in currently playing folder). Is there a setting somewhere (registry possibly) to tell Media Center's slideshow to do this. It seems ridiculous to have pictures of my family vacation as a slideshow when listening to a Beatles album when I have scan...