Exchange routing trouble

I have 1 AD forest with a child domain.
1 enterprise mail org with 1 administrative group.

Recently we added an exchange server in the child domain, the server is a
member of the same administrative group (and thus the same mail org) as the
original.  The child domain is in a branch office connected by inet VPN
tunnel.

Probelm:
Original server's queue to the new server is filling with a bunch of
messages to "new server-IS@mydomain.com" the queue is always in retry.

The same occurs in reverse on the new server (messages to "origianl
server-IS@mydomain.com") queue is always in retry.

Any ideas what this means (why this would be) and how I can fix this?  All
comments are welcome.

Thanks,
James


0
1/10/2006 10:02:12 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
419 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 50

One key point I forgot to mention - mail routing between the servers is not
working.  Mail from users on one server sending messages to users on the
other server (either way) are just adding to the queues.


0
1/10/2006 10:39:47 PM
James

Give more details. Most internal communicatin via servers in an Exchange org 
is via SMTP. What you are describing sounds like mail being routed 
internally. Have you gone through the basics of testing connectivity and 
name resolution?

Nue
"James Fabulous" <James.Fabulous@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:u$7mDbjFGHA.740@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> One key point I forgot to mention - mail routing between the servers is 
> not
> working.  Mail from users on one server sending messages to users on the
> other server (either way) are just adding to the queues.
>
> 


0
imaneophyte (3004)
1/11/2006 12:05:40 AM
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:02:12 -0700, "James Fabulous"
<James.Fabulous@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have 1 AD forest with a child domain.
>1 enterprise mail org with 1 administrative group.
>
>Recently we added an exchange server in the child domain, the server is a
>member of the same administrative group (and thus the same mail org) as the
>original.  The child domain is in a branch office connected by inet VPN
>tunnel.
>
>Probelm:
>Original server's queue to the new server is filling with a bunch of
>messages to "new server-IS@mydomain.com" the queue is always in retry.
>
>The same occurs in reverse on the new server (messages to "origianl
>server-IS@mydomain.com") queue is always in retry.
>
>Any ideas what this means (why this would be) and how I can fix this?  All
>comments are welcome.


Those are public folder messages.

Any flat-file AV on these servers? Are they properly configured to
exclude the required directories? 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823166

Can you telnet on port 25 from one server to other and send a test
message? 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119/en-us

Crank up logging on the SMTP VS?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=821910

VPN between the two. That sounds supicious. Check the firewall logs
between. 

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895857&SD=tech





>
>Thanks,
>James
>
0
adavid (8731)
1/11/2006 12:49:20 AM
In answer to both Nuevo and Mr. David:

clarification - internal mail routing is not occurring correctly.
I have checked the communicaion (connectivity and name resolution occur
normallu) as a matter of fact that server (although unreccommended) is also
the PDC (and file server) for that small office.  Replication, DNS, and
other services and opertaions function normally.

A telnet to SMTP port 25 on the new server from the original server produces
the following:
220
************************************************************************0***
*0****0 ************
****2*****200**0******0 *0*00

sending HELO produces the result "500 5.3.3 Unrecognized command" other
commands work fine.  For example MAIL FROM: test@test.com produces send
HELLO first, and quit closes the connection properly.

Sending a telnet originated message on the new server results in success and
all replies look correct.

The VPN is a tunnel allowing full access between the two subnets.  It is a
Pix to Pix IPSEC tunnel.
There is no AV running on these servers.
I have double checked the SMTP config and looked in the logs here is an
excerpt from the new server:
17:34:49 new server IP HELO - 250
17:36:57 new server IP MAIL - 250
17:37:27 new server IP RCPT - 250
17:38:10 original server IP xxxx - 500
17:38:10 original server IP xxxx - 500
17:38:10 original server IP xxxx - 500
17:39:07 original server IP QUIT - 240
17:39:26 new server IP DATA - 250

I'm continuing to look through the documents you listed Andy, but I have
read most of them before.

Thanks,
James


"Andy David - [MVP]" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
message news:c6l8s1la2gijqfcilqms1te6dchagsl7pk@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:02:12 -0700, "James Fabulous"
> <James.Fabulous@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have 1 AD forest with a child domain.
> >1 enterprise mail org with 1 administrative group.
> >
> >Recently we added an exchange server in the child domain, the server is a
> >member of the same administrative group (and thus the same mail org) as
the
> >original.  The child domain is in a branch office connected by inet VPN
> >tunnel.
> >
> >Probelm:
> >Original server's queue to the new server is filling with a bunch of
> >messages to "new server-IS@mydomain.com" the queue is always in retry.
> >
> >The same occurs in reverse on the new server (messages to "origianl
> >server-IS@mydomain.com") queue is always in retry.
> >
> >Any ideas what this means (why this would be) and how I can fix this?
All
> >comments are welcome.
>
>
> Those are public folder messages.
>
> Any flat-file AV on these servers? Are they properly configured to
> exclude the required directories?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823166
>
> Can you telnet on port 25 from one server to other and send a test
> message?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119/en-us
>
> Crank up logging on the SMTP VS?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=821910
>
> VPN between the two. That sounds supicious. Check the firewall logs
> between.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895857&SD=tech
>
>
>
>
>
> >
> >Thanks,
> >James
> >


0
1/11/2006 5:58:08 PM
Well I found the problem - it was in a document Andy referenced that I can't
believe I haven't seen before.  After all this time all I had to do was
remove the fixum protocol smtp 25 command on my PIX firewalls.  I didn't
suspect it at first because it was my understanding (VPN) tunneled traffic
was nuot subject to those rules.

I guess we all learn something new everyday.

Thanks folks!

James

"James Fabulous" <James.Fabulous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uISwVitFGHA.1124@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In answer to both Nuevo and Mr. David:
>
> clarification - internal mail routing is not occurring correctly.
> I have checked the communicaion (connectivity and name resolution occur
> normallu) as a matter of fact that server (although unreccommended) is
also
> the PDC (and file server) for that small office.  Replication, DNS, and
> other services and opertaions function normally.
>
> A telnet to SMTP port 25 on the new server from the original server
produces
> the following:
> 220
>
************************************************************************0***
> *0****0 ************
> ****2*****200**0******0 *0*00
>
> sending HELO produces the result "500 5.3.3 Unrecognized command" other
> commands work fine.  For example MAIL FROM: test@test.com produces send
> HELLO first, and quit closes the connection properly.
>
> Sending a telnet originated message on the new server results in success
and
> all replies look correct.
>
> The VPN is a tunnel allowing full access between the two subnets.  It is a
> Pix to Pix IPSEC tunnel.
> There is no AV running on these servers.
> I have double checked the SMTP config and looked in the logs here is an
> excerpt from the new server:
> 17:34:49 new server IP HELO - 250
> 17:36:57 new server IP MAIL - 250
> 17:37:27 new server IP RCPT - 250
> 17:38:10 original server IP xxxx - 500
> 17:38:10 original server IP xxxx - 500
> 17:38:10 original server IP xxxx - 500
> 17:39:07 original server IP QUIT - 240
> 17:39:26 new server IP DATA - 250
>
> I'm continuing to look through the documents you listed Andy, but I have
> read most of them before.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
>
> "Andy David - [MVP]" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
> message news:c6l8s1la2gijqfcilqms1te6dchagsl7pk@4ax.com...
> > On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:02:12 -0700, "James Fabulous"
> > <James.Fabulous@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I have 1 AD forest with a child domain.
> > >1 enterprise mail org with 1 administrative group.
> > >
> > >Recently we added an exchange server in the child domain, the server is
a
> > >member of the same administrative group (and thus the same mail org) as
> the
> > >original.  The child domain is in a branch office connected by inet VPN
> > >tunnel.
> > >
> > >Probelm:
> > >Original server's queue to the new server is filling with a bunch of
> > >messages to "new server-IS@mydomain.com" the queue is always in retry.
> > >
> > >The same occurs in reverse on the new server (messages to "origianl
> > >server-IS@mydomain.com") queue is always in retry.
> > >
> > >Any ideas what this means (why this would be) and how I can fix this?
> All
> > >comments are welcome.
> >
> >
> > Those are public folder messages.
> >
> > Any flat-file AV on these servers? Are they properly configured to
> > exclude the required directories?
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823166
> >
> > Can you telnet on port 25 from one server to other and send a test
> > message?
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119/en-us
> >
> > Crank up logging on the SMTP VS?
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=821910
> >
> > VPN between the two. That sounds supicious. Check the firewall logs
> > between.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895857&SD=tech
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >James
> > >
>
>


0
1/11/2006 7:44:03 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Exchange 2003 DNS problem
How do I prevent the SMTP service from sending mail to an A RR ONLY when an MX RR exists, but is unreacheable for some reason? It appears as if my Exchange server is sending mail to an A RR record when an MX record exists instead of returning an error message. Where can I increase the logging on the Exchange server to detail the name resolution process the mail server performs to find out if the server is actually sending to an A RR incorrectly or if the name lookup never returns an MX RR and is correctly sending to an A RR? On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:45:05 -0800, "thaller" <...

Trouble with vLookup
Not sure if I am using the right formula however this is what I want to achieve. On "Main" spreadsheet I have a long list of Names in column (B:B) - not in assending order and a separate workbook i will call "Data" with similiar names however this list is shorter and does not all included the names in the MAIN spreadsheet - this sheet I have in alphabetical order. vlookup(B:B,C3:F30,4,false) - this didn't work - vlookup(B:B,C3:F30,4) -this worked when B:B was smaller then the array and with both in assending. I want to look up the name in column B "main spre...

Can you script a quick shut down of exchange?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C583C5.266E5C90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, can you decrease the time it takes an exchange server /AD box to shut down? I thought I read some where the lengthy reboot times of exchange servers that were also domain controllers was due to the fact that AD shuts down first and exchange goes looking for it and fights the shut down... so my idea is script a shut down batch file that shurts down the exchange server first then shuts down the box.... any one hav...

Exchange 2003 -> Moving db
I have to move my exchange db because the store is growing out of propotion for the available space on the existing disk. Now i have created a new partition and wish to move my exchange db to the newly created partition. May i use the instructions on the link below? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822676/en-us If not, may anyone give me a clue what to do? -- aJ Use this method: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915 "Mobarn" <Mobarn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3EF95BD7-31C2-4641-9999-AD9A7281A4AC@microsoft.com... >I have to move my exchange db...

Outlook 2003 works with which versions of Exchange Server ?
If you have Outlook 2003 connecting to an Exchange Server, does it have to be Exchange 2003 or can it also work with Exchange 2000 and Exchange 5.5? It works with Exchange 5.5, 2000 and 2003. However, there are certain features (such as cached mode headers only and RPC over HTTP) that only work with Exchange 2003 and other features (such as compression of messages) that work better with Exchange 2003. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "Julian Milenbach"...

renaming exchange server
I want to rename my exchange server, netbios name and dns name. I am thinking of setting up a new server, and moving the mailboxes over. but what do i do with the mx record? i would not be able to move everything over at one time. so the old server need to be up and running and still receiving mail while i move mailboxes over. currently my server dns is aaa.bbb.com, netbios name aaa123 it is receiving mail as aaa.bbb.com i want to setup a new server test.bbb.com mx record - aaa.bbb.com help "tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:OlYz9Vc5FHA.3592@TK2MSFTNG...

Trouble with Outlook Express
I'm having trouble with my palm pilot and my outlook express. Everytime I import or export from one to the other, there is always dupicates of certain names. Does anyone know why this happens? Is there anyway for me to prevent this from happening? If anyone has any helpful tips please respond. Thank you, Stephen This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002, and 2003. If you have questions regarding Outlook Express please post your question in one of the applicable groups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplore...

Cant reach exchange server after Win2k reinstall
Crosspost : microsoft.public.outlook, microsoft.public.outlook.general [FU2] : microsoft.public.outlook Hi everyone, I'm getting an Outlook XP strange problem on some Win2K stations. Last friday, I used GPO in order to deploy SP4 on about 50 W2k stations. 3 of them didn't get the pack correctly and were stuck in reboot and reboot and so on....Just after the first progress bar (when you can hit F8 to get advanced start options) So, I re-install Win2k on itself on the 3 stations in order to get Win2K booting (Booting from CD and choosing R at the second step, when the installer look...

Exchange 2003
I have two Exchange servers, Exchange2003 and Exchange2003Remote. I am trying to create a recipient policy to stamp an additional SMTP address on mailboxes located on Exchange2003Remote. After I create the policy (called RemoteDomain) specifying the remote server where the mailboxes reside I apply the policy and wait for the additional addresses to be added to the mailboxes - no addresses are stamped. I current have a LegacyDN policy with the Highest Priority from our old Exchange 5.5 migration, the RemoteDomain policy with the next highest priority and finally the Default policy. Any as...

Redirecting email from Exchange to Gmail
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: Exchange Hi, <br><br>I'm wanting to redirect incoming email on Exchange (Entourage 2008) to my Gmail acct. <br><br>I don't want to forward because I will have a FW prefix showing. <br><br>Also, do I have to leave Entourage 'open' all the time for the re-directing to happen? Hi, you can simply move the messages from the Exchange account to your Gmail account. You can do so with a rule that looks as follows: If: All messages Then: Move messages [name of yo...

Exchange 2003 Pickup folder
After upgrading to exchange 2003 sp2 I cannot resumit any message from IMF. It goes from the arcive folder to pickup folder and its staying. Why is not these messages picked up by exchange server? ...

Exchange admin tools on Win 2000
I am tryting to install exchange 2000 admin tools on windows 2000 computer and I am getting the following error msg. Setup failed while installing sub-component Exchange System Management Snap-ins with error code 0xC1037988 (Please consult the installation logs for a detailed description). You may cancel the installation or try failed step again. (Retry) (Cancel) Can someone please help me with this. I replied to this in another group, but you may want to try 317480 Error Message When You Try to Install Microsoft Exchange System http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317480 Hope this helps ...

trouble with send function
Using Oulook 2000 and Windows 2000. I have the "send" feature on delay -- to send and receive every 10 minutes. After composing a message and clicking on send, the message is supposed to go to the Outbox where its TO and SUBJECT line appear in italics. About 75% of the time, that is exacly what happens. From the outbox I can click on send of off the messages go. However, about 25% of the time the messages in the outbox are not italicized. From the oubox I open them, then click send again, and the still appear in the outbox in normal font. The only way I can successfully send ...

Direct Booking a Resource in Exchange
Does anyone know a way to direct book a resource in Exchange, but before the resource is officially booked, require a resource administrator to approve it? For example, I want to Book Conference Room A. In the way that KB 291616 describes, but before the room is actually booked, I need one more step - an approval by the "owner" of the resource. Is this possible? Hi, If you configure the resource not to accept meeting requests automatically and assign a delegate for the resource it should work as required. Leif "Mark A. Dudley" <mark@nospamcjmnetworking.com> ...

How to get outlook 97 to work with an SMTP/POP email service, not MsMail, PostOffice/Exchange Server?
How do you get outlook 97 to simply work with an ordinary SMTP/POP server? I have Outlook Express working fine, with the settings for account name, pw, etc, already put in and it works great (my O/S is XP Home). When I installed Outlook 97 it wouldn't deliver or receive mail, saying, "No Transport Provider". When I try to add a "Service", it seems to only accept the Microsoft Mail Postoffice as the source/destination for email. There seems to be no way to tell it to use an SMTP/POP protocol service. Tom Download and install the Internet Mail Enhancement Pat...

Exchange Spamlisted
Good Morning, I picked up a new client today that was having many email issues regarding their exc. 2003 server. no one could send email, message get bounced back with " you do not have permission to send to this recipient" i checked on-line at dnsstuff.com to see if they were spam listed and they are. several companies have them listed - SBL-XBL, PSBL .... and there message says that they were found sending out trojans. It appears their server was not setup properly with anti-virus so i need to take care of this asap. question is: b/c they're blacklisted- is this the reason...

Trouble with importing from Excel
I get a data out of range with REASON ID 0x8004022c....Please let me know what this is... I am able to get about half of the speadsheet to import but it's giving me that error...I'm doing it in Tabbed .txt type file because nothing else works... I wish Microsoft CRM would have it where it showed you which field was in error...serious issue there...you'd have so much less work if it was built in...simple road map or warning of some type... this could be simply that you are importing 60 characters into a 50 character field for example ======================= John O'Don...

Upgrading W2K AS/Exchange Server 5.5 W2K Server 2003/Exchange Server 2003
Currently, our company network has both the DC/Active Directory and Exchange Server 5.5 installed on the same server running Windows 2000 Advanced Server. The company has bought new server, which will be used to install Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Exchange Server 2003. My IT Manager has asked me to perform the upgrade and here is what he has instructed me: 1. Install the Domain Controller/Active Directory (Windows Server 2003) on one of the new servers 2. Install the Exchange Server 2003 on the other server 3. Since we have only around 85 employees, he has instructed me to avoid...

Install Exchange in Win2000 Environment
just a quick verification to be absolutely sure: if i work in a Win2000 AD Domain running in native mode, i must install Exchange 2000, and NOT 2003, right? even i plan to install a new server, running win server 2003, on which i will be installing ms crm 1.2 & sql server 2000. the operating system of my crm server does not determine the exchange version, does it? thx for quick answer as we will be starting installations soon Stefan ...

Moving Exchange 2003 roles from the first server in the Organizati
Can anyone direct me to documentation on how to move roles and what roles need to be moved from the first Exchange Server in an Organization in Exch 2003? Follow http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=remove+first+server&catalog=LCID%3D1033&pwt=false&title=true&kt=ALL&mdt=0&comm=1&ast=1&ast=2&ast=3&mode=a&x=5&y=10 Beckibop wrote: > Can anyone direct me to documentation on how to move roles and what roles > need to be moved from the first Exchange Server in an Organization in Exch > 2003? ...

Exchange 2003 and Outlook 97
Hi to everyone: Only want to know if Outlook 97 can work fine with Exchange 2003 in native mode. Thanks It should work. Outlook 97 is no longer suppoerted by MS. "JOSE LANUZA" <JOSELANUZA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E9D46B5-2045-43CC-AEA4-4A15997A9100@microsoft.com... > Hi to everyone: > > Only want to know if Outlook 97 can work fine with Exchange 2003 in native > mode. > > > Thanks ...

Slow shutdown on DC/Exchange
As almost everyone knows, when Exchange (2000 or 2003) is running on a domain controller, it takes forever for a machine shutdown; this is due to Active Directory services stopping before Exchange ones, which causes Exchange to take a while looking for AD before timing out and giving up. The solution is to stop Exchange services (particularly the SA) before shutting down the server. Ok, now for the question: is there any way to automate this? I was thinking about setting a service dependency like Exchange SA depending on AD, so to have it stop before AD goes down... but I don't kno...

SBS2000 Exchange Disaster Recovery
I run SBS 2000 with Exchange and had the main hard disk go bad on me. Luckily, I had all the log files, exchange db, and exchange streaming db on a separate disk that was fine. I ended up taking a 4-year-old ghost of the system and restoring it onto a new drive and brought up the old system. I spent hours patching the OS up to the latest patches as well as put the latest service packs on Exchange. At that point I thought I would set Exchange to point at the other disk, but knowing it would try to overwrite the files, I backed up the good files in that directory. After using Exchange Sy...

exchange crash
Hello Is there any possibility to recover emails from files of crashed exchange just file from disk not backup .. Anything is possible. 5.5 DR paper: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/administration/55/backuprestore.asp 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326052 2003: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A58F49C5-1190-4FBF-AEDE-007A8F366B0E&displaylang=en On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:21:48 +0100, "MATT" <news@mattsoft.com.pl> wrote: >Hello >Is there any possibility to recover emails from files of crashed exchange >just file from ...

IM Service in Exchange 2003 server
Hi, Can anyone tell me, how to enable IM service in Exchange 2003, using MSN messenger as the client, and do we have to pay anything to microsoft for purchasing the license, Please suggest, Is there any other IM server clinet license available for free of cost, to chat within the organisation, please suggest. Thanks & Regards, Kiran.N That was removed in Exchange 2003 The new product is Microsoft Live Communications Server. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX010908711033.aspx -- Martin Blackstone MVP - Exchange http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm http://www.swinc.com/...