Exchange relay

I currently have 4 servers in my domain granted access to relay through my
Exchange virtual server. We have a 3rd party app running that needs to send
email to the outside world. When users attempt to do this they receive an
error stating 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for j_doe@hotmail.com. Now when I go
back into my Exchange system manager and grant ALL computers the ability to
relay, the email goes out. I know I cannot allow all computers to relay. How
do allow only the servers I had specified and still have the ability for the
3rd party app to email to the outside world?
0
MikeR (132)

Where does the 3rd-party app run? On one of those 4 servers? Relaying will
need to be allowed to whatever host the 3rd-party app's running on, or you
can have the app authenticate to Exchange. Authenticated users are allowed
to relay by default.

--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"miker" <miker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I currently have 4 servers in my domain granted access to relay through my
> Exchange virtual server. We have a 3rd party app running that needs to
> send
> email to the outside world. When users attempt to do this they receive an
> error stating 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for j_doe@hotmail.com. Now when I
> go
> back into my Exchange system manager and grant ALL computers the ability
> relay, the email goes out. I know I cannot allow all computers to relay.
> How
> do allow only the servers I had specified and still have the ability for
> the
> 3rd party app to email to the outside world?

0
bharat3597 (1006)
2/9/2007 7:07:43 AM
The app runs on all the users workstattions and all will need the abilty to
email out of this program. If I allow all authenticated users to relay will
that open my Exchange server up as a relay? I do not want the spam cops
shutting us down. Thank you.

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:

> Where does the 3rd-party app run? On one of those 4 servers? Relaying will
> need to be allowed to whatever host the 3rd-party app's running on, or you
> can have the app authenticate to Exchange. Authenticated users are allowed
> to relay by default.
>
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> "miker" <miker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I currently have 4 servers in my domain granted access to relay through my
> > Exchange virtual server. We have a 3rd party app running that needs to
> > send
> > email to the outside world. When users attempt to do this they receive an
> > error stating 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for j_doe@hotmail.com. Now when I
> > go
> > back into my Exchange system manager and grant ALL computers the ability
> > relay, the email goes out. I know I cannot allow all computers to relay.
> > How
> > do allow only the servers I had specified and still have the ability for
> > the
> > 3rd party app to email to the outside world?

0
MikeR (132)
2/9/2007 2:21:00 PM
Does the app authenticate (smtp) or can it be configured to do so?
--

> The app runs on all the users workstattions and all will need the abilty
> email out of this program. If I allow all authenticated users to relay
> will
> that open my Exchange server up as a relay? I do not want the spam cops
> shutting us down. Thank you.
>
> "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Where does the 3rd-party app run? On one of those 4 servers? Relaying
>> will
>> need to be allowed to whatever host the 3rd-party app's running on, or
>> you
>> can have the app authenticate to Exchange. Authenticated users are
>> allowed
>> to relay by default.
>>
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MVP - Exchange
>> www.zenprise.com
>> NEW blog location:
>> exchangepedia.com/blog
>>

>> "miker" <miker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I currently have 4 servers in my domain granted access to relay through
>> >my
>> > Exchange virtual server. We have a 3rd party app running that needs to
>> > send
>> > email to the outside world. When users attempt to do this they receive
>> > an
>> > error stating 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for j_doe@hotmail.com. Now when
>> > go
>> > back into my Exchange system manager and grant ALL computers the
>> > ability
>> > relay, the email goes out. I know I cannot allow all computers to
>> > relay.
>> > How
>> > do allow only the servers I had specified and still have the ability
>> > for
>> > the
>> > 3rd party app to email to the outside world?

0
bharat3597 (1006)
2/9/2007 4:01:05 PM
The app opens up it's own email window, not an Outlook window. I gave
Authenticated Users the right to relay and the app now emails out. But like I
said I want to make sure this way is not opening up my domain as a relay so I
start getting blacklisted.

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:

> Does the app authenticate (smtp) or can it be configured to do so?
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> "miker" <miker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The app runs on all the users workstattions and all will need the abilty
> > email out of this program. If I allow all authenticated users to relay
> > will
> > that open my Exchange server up as a relay? I do not want the spam cops
> > shutting us down. Thank you.
> >
> > "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Where does the 3rd-party app run? On one of those 4 servers? Relaying
> >> will
> >> need to be allowed to whatever host the 3rd-party app's running on, or
> >> you
> >> can have the app authenticate to Exchange. Authenticated users are
> >> allowed
> >> to relay by default.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bharat Suneja
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> www.zenprise.com
> >> NEW blog location:
> >> exchangepedia.com/blog
> >> ----------------------------------------------
> >>

> >> "miker" <miker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
MikeR (132)
2/9/2007 4:12:01 PM
I would say you are fine. Only users that authenticate to your domain are
able to relay. But you need to ask yourself, do you want all your users to
be able to relay? Some of our users are internal only.

To be sure, you can telnet to your exchange server on port 25 and try to
relay an E-mail to the outside. If it works, then you are wide open
(depending on your allowed relay list for computers of course). You need to
become familiar with SMTP syntax and protocol to use this method (i.e. helo,
mail from:, rcpt to:, data, etc).

> The app opens up it's own email window, not an Outlook window. I gave
> Authenticated Users the right to relay and the app now emails out. But
> like I
> said I want to make sure this way is not opening up my domain as a relay
> so I
> start getting blacklisted.
>
> "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Does the app authenticate (smtp) or can it be configured to do so?
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MVP - Exchange
>> www.zenprise.com
>> NEW blog location:
>> exchangepedia.com/blog
>>

>> "miker" <miker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The app runs on all the users workstattions and all will need the
>> > abilty
>> > email out of this program. If I allow all authenticated users to relay
>> > will
>> > that open my Exchange server up as a relay? I do not want the spam cops
>> > shutting us down. Thank you.

0
RealDeal1 (61)
2/9/2007 5:09:11 PM
The only users that are relaying are internal. I have tried several test
relay sites and all messages are getting blocked at my Barracuda Spam
firewall.  Thanks for the response.

"RealDeal1@nospam.nospam" wrote:

> I would say you are fine. Only users that authenticate to your domain are
> able to relay. But you need to ask yourself, do you want all your users to
> be able to relay? Some of our users are internal only.
>
> To be sure, you can telnet to your exchange server on port 25 and try to
> relay an E-mail to the outside. If it works, then you are wide open
> (depending on your allowed relay list for computers of course). You need to
> become familiar with SMTP syntax and protocol to use this method (i.e. helo,
> mail from:, rcpt to:, data, etc).
>

> "miker" <miker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The app opens up it's own email window, not an Outlook window. I gave
> > Authenticated Users the right to relay and the app now emails out. But
> > like I
> > said I want to make sure this way is not opening up my domain as a relay
> > so I
> > start getting blacklisted.
> >
> > "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Does the app authenticate (smtp) or can it be configured to do so?
> >> --
> >> Bharat Suneja
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> www.zenprise.com
> >> NEW blog location:
> >> exchangepedia.com/blog
> >> ----------------------------------------------
> >>

> >> "miker" <miker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
MikeR (132)
2/9/2007 7:42:00 PM
From the Relay tab, choose "Only the list below", click ADD and choose
the computers that are allowed to relay.

Make sure to uncheck "Allow all computers which successfully
authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above."

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:40:00 -0800, miker
<miker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I currently have 4 servers in my domain granted access to relay through my
>Exchange virtual server. We have a 3rd party app running that needs to send
>email to the outside world. When users attempt to do this they receive an
>error stating 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for j_doe@hotmail.com. Now when I go
>back into my Exchange system manager and grant ALL computers the ability to
>relay, the email goes out. I know I cannot allow all computers to relay. How
>do allow only the servers I had specified and still have the ability for the
>3rd party app to email to the outside world?

RPC over HTTP/S on Exchange 2003
I have been configuring my single server with exchange to use RPC over https I have followed the instructions in MS guide and another simplified guide at http://www.petri.co.il/configure_rpc_over_https_on_a_single_server.htm Server spec is: Server 2003 standard SP1, Exchange 2003 SP1, XP client SP2 with outlook 2003 sp2 The bottom line is that when testing from the WAN, the outlook client will not connect and say that the exchange server is unavailable. I have a lot of experience configuring rpc over http/s with sbs2003 but this is the first time for server 2003 standard. I have outlook ...

!!HELP!!! Cannot connect to Exchange Server from a RDP, ICA session or server local machine
Please excuse the posting as I wasn't sure which group to post this in. I'm having issues using Outlook from a server desktop, an RDP or ICA connection. I have remote users who connect using Citrix. They logon to the Citrix server desktop (Windows 2003 Server) and use Outlook from there. They can also use Outlook from within Citrix as it is a Published Application. I know some of you are going to suggest why don't they use OWA but let's not get into that. I can log onto any workstation here in the office and connect to the Exchange server and open their Outlook. What I and they...

IE 7 and OWA to Exchange 2003
I installed the patch that solves the crash problem when sending a new message through OWA using IE 7. I restarted the machine but it didn't solve the problem. I still can't send mails. We're using Exchange 2003 standard with SP2 on Windows 2003 R2. Any thoughts ? Haim Beyhan "Haim Beyhan" <haimb@enigma.com> wrote: >I installed the patch that solves the crash problem when sending a new >message through OWA using IE 7. I restarted the machine but it didn't solve >the problem. I still can't send mails. >We're using Exchange 2003 sta...

Adding Contacts Folder as Address Book in Exchange Server
I am trying to add my contacts folder to my address book in Outlook XP and don't see the Tools, Options I used to see in Outlook 2000. How can I add this folder to my address book? Is that an option you can turn on or off for a profile in Exchange Server? Thanks!! -- Remove 'spam' from email address to contact me directly Right click on your Contacts folder, go to properties, outlook address book. Can you tick the box there? If not, go to tools, e-mail accounts, view/change address books, and make sure you have the Outlook Address Book option there. Then try right-clicking...

How to install Exchange in an "Administrative Group"
I am running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on a DC in my lab. Exchange is installed in the "First Administrative Group". Now I want to install a second Exchange 2003 Server in another "Administrative Group" called "Midwest". This is what I did: 1. Installed the second Exchange 2003 server in the "First Administrative Group". 2. Created the second "Administrative Group" called "Midwest". 3. Tried to move the second Exchange 2003 server into the "Midwest" Administrative Group. The problem was that I was not able to &q...

Exchange 2003 SP1 to get DST patch & Exchange 2000 patch is available to anyone for $4,000
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C746B0.CFF31030 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable http://blogs.technet.com/hied_west_blog/archive/2007/02/01/dst-2007-updat= e-outlook-time-zone-data-update-tool-released-february-1-2007.aspx In the "New Highlights" section: "Exchange Server 2003 SP1 will now be = supported for an updated version of the Exchange CDO patch to be = released shortly." and "DST Hotfixes for products in Extended Support can now be purchased for = ...

Relaying denied / Can't send to aol.com & cisco.com domains
We have 1 internal Exchange 2000 server for our only domain, dortfcu.org. When we try to send an email to anyone at the aol.com or cisco.com domain, their email server says 550 5.7.1 <email address>... Relaying denied. I think the issue is a dns issue and is due to the fact that I upgraded one of our 2 dns servers from windows 2000 server to windows 2003 server last weekend. NSLOOKUP of dortfcu.org with type=mx says that mail exchanger = smtp.dortfcu.org. The servers real name is dort2.dortfcu.org. So I guess this means my mx record is wrong? I don't have access to my ...

CRM and Blackberry Connector on Exchange
Are there any problems installing both, CRM Connector and Blackberry Connector on an Exchange-Server? TIA Stefan ...

Forced Removal of Failed Exchange 5.5 Server
A failing Exchange 5.5 infrastructure prompted a rapid migration to Exchange 2000. A mixed mode environment was created and all security principals and data was moved to the new servers before the old server failed. Exchange 2000 is functioning and about to be integrated into an Exchange 2003 environment. However, there is still a grayed-out reference to the now failed/non-existent Exchange 5.5 computer. How can this be resolved? You can delete the server object from ADSI Edit. ADSI edit comes with windows 2000/2003 support tools. Open ADSIEdit and navigate down to the servers lev...

exchange 5.5 will not keep new server name.
We have exchange 5.5 in enviroment where windows server 2003 is setup along with active directory and active direcitory intergrated zone which is replicated to other servers. Problem: I enter the Exchange Server Name followed by the mailbox name then I select the button [CHECK NAME] In the exchange server name field after entering the new exchange server name the old exchange server name is displayed instead. This only happens in office 2003 professional and not in office 2000 professional "old exchange server name" How did you go about changing the name of the server...

Outlook 2007 - Exchange 2003
I just upgraded my desktop to Office 2007 - Removing the older Office2000. Our Network is all 2003 Servers & Exchange. My Destop is XP SP3 In OL2007 I cannot see/find any of the exisitng public shared calendars that I could see/access in OL2000. I can see them when I'm in Webmail and desktops still running Office 2000 can see the public calendars. Any help is appreciated. Thanks John Which navigation pane are you in? Press Ctrl+6 to see the folder list. BTW, Did you keep the old Outlook 2000 profile? We recommend new profiles when upgrading from older versions. ...

Exchange 2003
I've set up a policy that deletes items in the "Deleted Items" folder that are 7 days old (no size limit). For some reason Mailbox Management finds no deleted items. See the email I receive below... The Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Manager has completed processing mailboxes Started at: 2006-02-25 00:08:58 Completed at: 2006-02-25 00:08:59 Mailboxes processed: 0 Messages moved: 0 Size of moved messages: 0.00 KB Deleted messages: 0 Size of deleted messages: 0.00 KB The information store is 82 GB's big...there is no way there are no deleted items. I've had this pr...

Exchange client alternative ?
I have an exchange server with about 100 users. I have three computers where I want that about 40-60 people should have access to checking their mail WITHOUT logging off/on. I want that there should be one username to the computer and some other authentication at the email client side. I was thinking of using Outlook Express & implementing identities. I'd like to know if anyone has some other ideas. Thanks Peretz Stern Hi Peretz, You could use Outlook Express with different identities or you could use Outlook 2000 or above with a seperate profile for each user. You could go ...

How to Change Outgoing port in Exchange 2003
I am running Exchange 2003 on a SBS 2003 server and using the POP3 connector to get the e-mail from my account and also send the email out throught the SMTP server. Starting last Friday the outgoing mail is not being sent. Earthlink tells me that they are now using port 587 for the outgoing mail. How do I change the outgoing mail SMTP port? Thanks -- Don Holden -- Don Holden On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:07:02 -0700, Don Holden <DonHolden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2003 on a SBS 2003 server and using the POP3 connector >to get the e-mail from my...

Can't connect to Exchange server after VPN access
I can connect to my office Exchange server when in the office (LAN) but I cannot connect outside with Outlook. I can only use the webmail after entering a web VPN access: - First portal for VPN : https://xxx.yyy.com --> I enter my user_VPN/password_VPN - On the next web page, I have the choice for the webmail and it's a link as https://xxx.yyy.com/go/webmail.yyy.com~ssl where I can enter my user_mail/password_mail So I can't enter the url in RPC as every slash is forbidden In my Outlook, the Exchange server (EXC.yyy.com) is not reachable by ping (or tracert) and I can't ...

MS Exchange and external mail relay
In our organization we are planning if moving from Linux (postfix) to MS Exchange server. We plan to implement Postfix (in DMZ zone) as a mail relay for Exchange server (in LAN).We have about 400 users on the same external domain like @company.com. The trick is that about 100 of users only need mail address (not also a domain account), so we're thinking if it is possible to create 300 of our users of @comany.com domain on Exchange server, all other users that need only company mail (also @comapany.com) will have mailboxes on mail relay (postfix), not on Exchange server. Since it...

Users cannot login to OWA after Exchange 2K3 was moved into different OU
I created a new OU named member servers, and moved the exchange 2k3 server into it. After I moved it, only the administrator was able to login to OWA successfully. No users could login to OWA. I created a test account with a mailbox, and was able to login to OWA with the newly created test account. I then moved the exchange 2k3 server from the member servers OU into the computers OU, and the newly created account was unable to login to OWA. Any help with this would be appreciated. ...

Backup a users mailbox in Exchange 2003
We have recently terminated a couple employees, and I would like to make a copy of their mailboxes. How do I go about doing this? -- Chuck On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:36:02 -0800, chb12 <chb12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have recently terminated a couple employees, and I would like to make a >copy of their mailboxes. How do I go about doing this? Exmerge is always a good option. What I normally do is open their mailbox on my outlook, then create a PST (name it the users name). Once the PST is created I copy the contents of their mailbox into the PST. From there you ...

Automatic response email on Microsoft exchange 2003
How can I generate an automatic email response from a group of internal users to a group of external users? We have about 500 customers that we want to respond to when they send an email to a group of about 30 inside sales people. Is this possible? If this can not be done then can I send an automatic reply to any external email going to the group of 30 inside sales people? Thank you, Chris either make the external users post to a public folder and set the rule there to reply with a template or create outlook server side rule on one of the sales mambers (create a dummy user and...

Sent Messages Stay in Outbox as Unread Messages (Outlook 2003-Exchange Cached Mode)
Hello anyone and everyone! I have had several individuals at my company have this happen. Although the mail was sent as it should be the message in question stays in the outbox as an unread message and doesn't ever get delivered to the sent box as normal. The individuals must move the message manually to the sent items folder. In one instance, I read an article about Outlook 200 regarding the message threshold for the sent items folder (16k messages) even though there was no where near that amount in the sent items (more like 500 messages) I just cleared a few out and sure enough it sta...

0x8004010f error starting Exchange 2003 info store
I've deployed a few Exchange 2007 servers in our org and moved some mailboxes to them. Additionally, I've moved some roles (OAB generation, RUS...) to those Exchange 2007 servers. Immediately, and without warning, our Exchange 2003 servers are no longer able to start their Information Store or MTA Stack services. When trying to start the info store, I get these two errors: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 1121 Date: 4/24/2007 Time: 4:34:13 PM User: N/A Computer: EXCH7 Description: Error 0x8004010f connecting to the Microsoft Act...

Route email for unresolved recipients to external Exchange server
Hi, I've posted this on the SBS group but had no response, since it's completely to do with Exchange hopefully someone in here will be able to help... One of our clients is actually 2 sister companies, each with their own office, geographically dispersed. One has a SBS2000, the other SBS2003. Each has their own email domain and both servers receive email for their own domain through SMTP. In reality the two companies are very tightly interwoven, to the degree that users in company 1 need not only their company 1 email address (userx@co1domain.co.uk) but also the correspondin...

Deletion settings in Mailbox Store Properties
Our company would like to enforce a policy to permanently delete items 30 days or older from each mailboxes Deleted items folder. The mailboxes all reside on the Exchange 2003 server. Under Mailbox Store Properties, Deletion settings, the Keep deleted items for (days) is set to 30, yet the items are not being deleted. My thoughts are that it is because we do not have the Mailbox Manager scheduled to run. Is that correct? I am a little hesitant to run it because I am worried about what else it might "manage". I only see one recipient policy and that is for email addresses. ...

Problem with Exchange HTTP virtual server..pls help
Hi, I created Exchange Virtual Server using ESM & the same is not getting reflected under IIS.. What could be the problem here? pls guide... At present, i have 2 Exchange Virtual Servers (http servers) under Protocols > HTTP section of ESM. However, when i open IIS i only see Default Website? Also, i am unable to start/stop newly created Virtual Server using ESM as these options are grayed out. Any help appreciated. I would re-write my query in more detail as follows : Hi, I have my scenario as follows : 1 Front end server 1 Back end server Front end server has 2 ip ad...

Bounce Message 'Unable to relay for '
I have a user that recieved a bounce message from our Exchange 2003 server when trying to email a client. Can someone please point me in the right direction, I have never seen anything like this. I don't see why this is marked as a 'relay' message when it came directly from her outlook 2003 client (It is in her sent items) Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Donna appointment xxxxxxxxx Sent: 5/24/2005 3:39 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: xxxxxxxxxxx@centurybathworks.com on 5/24/2005 3:39 PM You do not have permissi...