Exchange Relay Option

I was Exchange 2000 Server (SP3) on Windows 2000 Server. Recently we
are getting lots of junk mail into our corporate email (bypassing the
spam filter software).
The "FROM" email address is from an account which is valid email
account for my company.

I'm trying to figure out a way to disable spammers from doing that? In
the SMTP options I set the "Relay" to only allow for local IP addresses
and for computers who authenticate.. How can spammers still send emails
using an account from my company? Does the relay option do what it is
suppose to do? Or is there a different option I need to change? I
unchecked "Allow anonymous access" in the relay screen but we stopped
getting emails completely..

Any suggestion? Thanks!

The From address must be forged. I'm surprised that your Spam filter is not
picking it up since a basic RDNS would identify the sender as likely to be
forged. There is no way to stop spammers from doing this so don't waste your
time. You need to figure out why your spam filter is not picking up the
forged address.

Nue

"No_Spam" <no_to_spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I was Exchange 2000 Server (SP3) on Windows 2000 Server. Recently we
> are getting lots of junk mail into our corporate email (bypassing the
> spam filter software).
> The "FROM" email address is from an account which is valid email
> account for my company.
>
> I'm trying to figure out a way to disable spammers from doing that? In
> the SMTP options I set the "Relay" to only allow for local IP addresses
> and for computers who authenticate.. How can spammers still send emails
> using an account from my company? Does the relay option do what it is
> suppose to do? Or is there a different option I need to change? I
> unchecked "Allow anonymous access" in the relay screen but we stopped
> getting emails completely..
>
> Any suggestion? Thanks!

0
imaneophyte (3004)
1/31/2006 9:29:46 PM
On 31 Jan 2006 13:24:44 -0800, "No_Spam" <no_to_spam@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I was Exchange 2000 Server (SP3) on Windows 2000 Server. Recently we
>are getting lots of junk mail into our corporate email (bypassing the
>spam filter software).

	What are you using for anti-spam?

>The "FROM" email address is from an account which is valid email
>account for my company.

Anyone can spoof a SMTP address

>I'm trying to figure out a way to disable spammers from doing that?

	Many anti-spam products allow you to block messages that have
a FROM: that matches a domain you accept for. Be careful however as
this can cause some legitimate mail to be dropped ( Many times,users
enter their own corporate email addresses on websites that send mail
to themselves, etc...)

>In
>the SMTP options I set the "Relay" to only allow for local IP addresses
>and for computers who authenticate..

That wont prevent that. If you dont need authenticated relay, uncheck
that.

>How can spammers still send emails
>using an account from my company?

Welcome to the world of SMTP.

>Does the relay option do what it is
>suppose to do? Or is there a different option I need to change?

You could in theory use sender filtering in ESM and enter your own
domain. Havent tested this, so you are on your own there. Or see if
your current ant-spam product does this or get one that does.

> I unchecked "Allow anonymous access" in the relay screen but we stopped
>getting emails completely..

Yea, you don't want to do that!

>Any suggestion? Thanks!
0
adavid (8731)
1/31/2006 9:40:32 PM
I'm using GFI to filter spammers.
I've setup the software to do RDNS but it seems that it is not
functioning as it should be!

On 31 Jan 2006 14:28:43 -0800, "No_Spam" <no_to_spam@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I'm using GFI to filter spammers.
>I've setup the software to do RDNS but it seems that it is not
>functioning as it should be!

Reverse lookups do not prevent spoofing.
0
adavid (8731)
1/31/2006 10:59:22 PM
What I don't understand is how can spammers send emails to our company
and the From name is for example my name. Exchange has no way of
figuring out that this is junk mail? That's bad..

On 3 Feb 2006 06:03:09 -0800, "No_Spam" <no_to_spam@comcast.net>
wrote:

>What I don't understand is how can spammers send emails to our company
>and the From name is for example my name. Exchange has no way of
>figuring out that this is junk mail? That's bad..

Its not an Exchange issue.

If you want to stop those type of emails, then invest in a good
anti-spam filtering gateway product .

0
adavid (8731)
2/3/2006 2:10:13 PM
Can you suggest what is a good product? I thought GFI was good. But it
sounds like it is not!

On 3 Feb 2006 06:15:19 -0800, "No_Spam" <no_to_spam@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Can you suggest what is a good product? I thought GFI was good. But it
>sounds like it is not!

I have heard GFI is pretty good, but have never used it.

They are so many out there. I would look at www.msexchange.org  for a
list

0
adavid (8731)

RPC over HTTP/S on Exchange 2003
I have been configuring my single server with exchange to use RPC over https I have followed the instructions in MS guide and another simplified guide at http://www.petri.co.il/configure_rpc_over_https_on_a_single_server.htm Server spec is: Server 2003 standard SP1, Exchange 2003 SP1, XP client SP2 with outlook 2003 sp2 The bottom line is that when testing from the WAN, the outlook client will not connect and say that the exchange server is unavailable. I have a lot of experience configuring rpc over http/s with sbs2003 but this is the first time for server 2003 standard. I have outlook ...

!!HELP!!! Cannot connect to Exchange Server from a RDP, ICA session or server local machine
Please excuse the posting as I wasn't sure which group to post this in. I'm having issues using Outlook from a server desktop, an RDP or ICA connection. I have remote users who connect using Citrix. They logon to the Citrix server desktop (Windows 2003 Server) and use Outlook from there. They can also use Outlook from within Citrix as it is a Published Application. I know some of you are going to suggest why don't they use OWA but let's not get into that. I can log onto any workstation here in the office and connect to the Exchange server and open their Outlook. What I and they...

get rid of macro option at startup
I created and then deleted a macro in an Excel file. Why do I still get the warning box (i.e. the one asking if I want to enable or disable macros) when I open the file? Is there a way to get rid of this since I no longer have macros in this file? Thanks. Brad You need to delete the empty module.! Bill K "Brad Rench" <brench@comcast.net> wrote in message news:kSOdnb0Jjst9afaiXTWJkg@comcast.com... > I created and then deleted a macro in an Excel file. > > Why do I still get the warning box (i.e. the one asking if I want to enable > or disable macros) when I o...

IE 7 and OWA to Exchange 2003
I installed the patch that solves the crash problem when sending a new message through OWA using IE 7. I restarted the machine but it didn't solve the problem. I still can't send mails. We're using Exchange 2003 standard with SP2 on Windows 2003 R2. Any thoughts ? Haim Beyhan "Haim Beyhan" <haimb@enigma.com> wrote: >I installed the patch that solves the crash problem when sending a new >message through OWA using IE 7. I restarted the machine but it didn't solve >the problem. I still can't send mails. >We're using Exchange 2003 sta...

Adding Contacts Folder as Address Book in Exchange Server
I am trying to add my contacts folder to my address book in Outlook XP and don't see the Tools, Options I used to see in Outlook 2000. How can I add this folder to my address book? Is that an option you can turn on or off for a profile in Exchange Server? Thanks!! -- Remove 'spam' from email address to contact me directly Right click on your Contacts folder, go to properties, outlook address book. Can you tick the box there? If not, go to tools, e-mail accounts, view/change address books, and make sure you have the Outlook Address Book option there. Then try right-clicking...

How to install Exchange in an "Administrative Group"
I am running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on a DC in my lab. Exchange is installed in the "First Administrative Group". Now I want to install a second Exchange 2003 Server in another "Administrative Group" called "Midwest". This is what I did: 1. Installed the second Exchange 2003 server in the "First Administrative Group". 2. Created the second "Administrative Group" called "Midwest". 3. Tried to move the second Exchange 2003 server into the "Midwest" Administrative Group. The problem was that I was not able to &q...

Exchange 2003 SP1 to get DST patch & Exchange 2000 patch is available to anyone for $4,000
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C746B0.CFF31030 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable http://blogs.technet.com/hied_west_blog/archive/2007/02/01/dst-2007-updat= e-outlook-time-zone-data-update-tool-released-february-1-2007.aspx In the "New Highlights" section: "Exchange Server 2003 SP1 will now be = supported for an updated version of the Exchange CDO patch to be = released shortly." and "DST Hotfixes for products in Extended Support can now be purchased for = ...

Delivery Options Does Not Show Up.
I need to setup an alternative recipient to one of my mailboxes but I can't seem to find the Delivery Options Button under "Exchange Advanced" tab of ADU&C. I can only see three options: Custom Attributes ILS Settings Mailbox Rights What am I missing. It should be there. Thanks for your time Percy it's on the Exchange General tab... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Percy" <Percy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:845C7BCF-BB5B-4E56-9CB6-5C05F32F3A9E@microsoft.com... >I need to setup an alternative recipient to one of my mailboxes but ...

CRM and Blackberry Connector on Exchange
Are there any problems installing both, CRM Connector and Blackberry Connector on an Exchange-Server? TIA Stefan ...

Forced Removal of Failed Exchange 5.5 Server
A failing Exchange 5.5 infrastructure prompted a rapid migration to Exchange 2000. A mixed mode environment was created and all security principals and data was moved to the new servers before the old server failed. Exchange 2000 is functioning and about to be integrated into an Exchange 2003 environment. However, there is still a grayed-out reference to the now failed/non-existent Exchange 5.5 computer. How can this be resolved? You can delete the server object from ADSI Edit. ADSI edit comes with windows 2000/2003 support tools. Open ADSIEdit and navigate down to the servers lev...

tbBox options
In the XML files, for the <BORDER> tags, tbBoxColumns forms a border on either side of a cell, tbBoxRows forms a border above and below a cell. What option forms a border on all 4 sides of the cell? Thanks, Rance hi you can use <BORDER> tbAll </BORDER> "Rance" wrote: > In the XML files, for the <BORDER> tags, tbBoxColumns forms a border on > either side of a cell, tbBoxRows forms a border above and below a cell. What > option forms a border on all 4 sides of the cell? > > Thanks, > Rance ...

Payables Trial Balance Report with Options
I am trying to run an A/P Trial Balance Report today that will give me the A/P balance at January 31, 2007. I keep getting the balance as as February 28, 2007. I've run the same report for A/R and am able to get the balance as at January 31, 2007. Currently using GP 9.0. With my previous employer who was also using GP 9.0, I sure that we were able to run an A/P Trial Balance report for a previous period. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I my be missing or what may be set up incorrectly? -- JR JR, The only date that you can spcify on the Aged Trial Balance With Options, ...

Relaying denied / Can't send to aol.com & cisco.com domains
We have 1 internal Exchange 2000 server for our only domain, dortfcu.org. When we try to send an email to anyone at the aol.com or cisco.com domain, their email server says 550 5.7.1 <email address>... Relaying denied. I think the issue is a dns issue and is due to the fact that I upgraded one of our 2 dns servers from windows 2000 server to windows 2003 server last weekend. NSLOOKUP of dortfcu.org with type=mx says that mail exchanger = smtp.dortfcu.org. The servers real name is dort2.dortfcu.org. So I guess this means my mx record is wrong? I don't have access to my ...

exchange 5.5 will not keep new server name.
We have exchange 5.5 in enviroment where windows server 2003 is setup along with active directory and active direcitory intergrated zone which is replicated to other servers. Problem: I enter the Exchange Server Name followed by the mailbox name then I select the button [CHECK NAME] In the exchange server name field after entering the new exchange server name the old exchange server name is displayed instead. This only happens in office 2003 professional and not in office 2000 professional "old exchange server name" How did you go about changing the name of the server...

Outlook 2007 - Exchange 2003
I just upgraded my desktop to Office 2007 - Removing the older Office2000. Our Network is all 2003 Servers & Exchange. My Destop is XP SP3 In OL2007 I cannot see/find any of the exisitng public shared calendars that I could see/access in OL2000. I can see them when I'm in Webmail and desktops still running Office 2000 can see the public calendars. Any help is appreciated. Thanks John Which navigation pane are you in? Press Ctrl+6 to see the folder list. BTW, Did you keep the old Outlook 2000 profile? We recommend new profiles when upgrading from older versions. ...

Exchange 2003
I've set up a policy that deletes items in the "Deleted Items" folder that are 7 days old (no size limit). For some reason Mailbox Management finds no deleted items. See the email I receive below... The Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Manager has completed processing mailboxes Started at: 2006-02-25 00:08:58 Completed at: 2006-02-25 00:08:59 Mailboxes processed: 0 Messages moved: 0 Size of moved messages: 0.00 KB Deleted messages: 0 Size of deleted messages: 0.00 KB The information store is 82 GB's big...there is no way there are no deleted items. I've had this pr...

Exchange client alternative ?
I have an exchange server with about 100 users. I have three computers where I want that about 40-60 people should have access to checking their mail WITHOUT logging off/on. I want that there should be one username to the computer and some other authentication at the email client side. I was thinking of using Outlook Express & implementing identities. I'd like to know if anyone has some other ideas. Thanks Peretz Stern Hi Peretz, You could use Outlook Express with different identities or you could use Outlook 2000 or above with a seperate profile for each user. You could go ...

How to Change Outgoing port in Exchange 2003
I am running Exchange 2003 on a SBS 2003 server and using the POP3 connector to get the e-mail from my account and also send the email out throught the SMTP server. Starting last Friday the outgoing mail is not being sent. Earthlink tells me that they are now using port 587 for the outgoing mail. How do I change the outgoing mail SMTP port? Thanks -- Don Holden -- Don Holden On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:07:02 -0700, Don Holden <DonHolden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2003 on a SBS 2003 server and using the POP3 connector >to get the e-mail from my...

Routing Restrictions button unavailable (gray) no matter what options selected in IMS-->Routing tab
I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4. In Connections-->IMS-->Routing Tab, my "Routing Restrictions" button is unavailable (greyed-out) no matter what options I select. Any suggestions? Thank you. Try installing Exch Admin prog on other machine, apply SP4 and see if you can change it from there. Post back with details. ryanadmin wrote: > I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4. In Connections-->IMS-->Routing Tab, my > "Routing Restrictions" button is unavailable (greyed-out) no matter > what options I select. Any suggestions? Thank you. ...

Can't connect to Exchange server after VPN access
I can connect to my office Exchange server when in the office (LAN) but I cannot connect outside with Outlook. I can only use the webmail after entering a web VPN access: - First portal for VPN : https://xxx.yyy.com --> I enter my user_VPN/password_VPN - On the next web page, I have the choice for the webmail and it's a link as https://xxx.yyy.com/go/webmail.yyy.com~ssl where I can enter my user_mail/password_mail So I can't enter the url in RPC as every slash is forbidden In my Outlook, the Exchange server (EXC.yyy.com) is not reachable by ping (or tracert) and I can't ...

Preventing changes in the Options
Hello, Is there a way in Excel to prevent users from making any changes in the Options (ie protect or disable the Options Dialog box). Thanks in advance, brgds, Chantal ...

"Archive all messages sent or received by mailboxes on this store" option problem
I want to backup the all message sent or received by mailboxes, I find that there is an option "Archive all messages sent or received by mailboxes on this store " in Exchanger 2003. I had selected this option and forward to public folder. But I found that not all message will be archived. - All message sent by mailboxes can be archived - Some Messages come from mailboxes will not be archived Eg: yahoo, hotmail, and other company Is this option not archive this message ? Any other setting need to configure ? Dennis ...

MS Exchange and external mail relay
In our organization we are planning if moving from Linux (postfix) to MS Exchange server. We plan to implement Postfix (in DMZ zone) as a mail relay for Exchange server (in LAN).We have about 400 users on the same external domain like @company.com. The trick is that about 100 of users only need mail address (not also a domain account), so we're thinking if it is possible to create 300 of our users of @comany.com domain on Exchange server, all other users that need only company mail (also @comapany.com) will have mailboxes on mail relay (postfix), not on Exchange server. Since it...

Users cannot login to OWA after Exchange 2K3 was moved into different OU
I created a new OU named member servers, and moved the exchange 2k3 server into it. After I moved it, only the administrator was able to login to OWA successfully. No users could login to OWA. I created a test account with a mailbox, and was able to login to OWA with the newly created test account. I then moved the exchange 2k3 server from the member servers OU into the computers OU, and the newly created account was unable to login to OWA. Any help with this would be appreciated. ...

Backup a users mailbox in Exchange 2003
We have recently terminated a couple employees, and I would like to make a copy of their mailboxes. How do I go about doing this? -- Chuck On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:36:02 -0800, chb12 <chb12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have recently terminated a couple employees, and I would like to make a >copy of their mailboxes. How do I go about doing this? Exmerge is always a good option. What I normally do is open their mailbox on my outlook, then create a PST (name it the users name). Once the PST is created I copy the contents of their mailbox into the PST. From there you ...