Exchange Recovery for test environment

Hi,

I plan to build an Exchange 2000 test lab which replicas our current
production environment.  The current production environment has Windows 2000
Advanced Server Active Directory and a Windows 2000 Advanced member server
running Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition.  What is the process of
duplicating the current production environment and implement to the test lab
for restoring 6 months old DB from backup tapes?

Thanks,
Kyle

here you go:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/MRFME2KS.
mspx

"Kyle" <kylenguyen@prontomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I plan to build an Exchange 2000 test lab which replicas our current
> production environment.  The current production environment has Windows
2000
> Advanced Server Active Directory and a Windows 2000 Advanced member server
> running Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition.  What is the process of
> duplicating the current production environment and implement to the test
lab
> for restoring 6 months old DB from backup tapes?
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle

0
sconkey (3059)
5/13/2005 11:04:33 PM
Susan,

Thanks for quick replied.  Based on the document, when I install Win2K
server and run DCPROMO to create a new forest on the first receovery server.
I assumed this recovery server is on seperate and isolate network.  Do I
need to duplicate DNS from the production server.

Thanks,
Kyle

"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> here you go:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/MRFME2KS.
> mspx
>
> "Kyle" <kylenguyen@prontomail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I plan to build an Exchange 2000 test lab which replicas our current
> > production environment.  The current production environment has Windows
> 2000
> > Advanced Server Active Directory and a Windows 2000 Advanced member
server
> > running Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition.  What is the process of
> > duplicating the current production environment and implement to the test
> lab
> > for restoring 6 months old DB from backup tapes?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kyle

I don't believe that is necessary...but I'm not 100% certain...
> Susan,
>
> Thanks for quick replied.  Based on the document, when I install Win2K
> server and run DCPROMO to create a new forest on the first receovery
server.
> I assumed this recovery server is on seperate and isolate network.  Do I
> need to duplicate DNS from the production server.
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle
>

> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > here you go:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/MRFME2KS.
> > mspx
> >
> > "Kyle" <kylenguyen@prontomail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I plan to build an Exchange 2000 test lab which replicas our current
> > > production environment.  The current production environment has
Windows
> > 2000
> > > Advanced Server Active Directory and a Windows 2000 Advanced member
> server
> > > running Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition.  What is the process of
> > > duplicating the current production environment and implement to the
test
> > lab
> > > for restoring 6 months old DB from backup tapes?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Kyle

0
sconkey (3059)
5/13/2005 11:30:23 PM
Hi Kyle,

> Thanks for quick replied.  Based on the document, when I install Win2K
> server and run DCPROMO to create a new forest on the first receovery
> server. I assumed this recovery server is on seperate and isolate
> network.  Do I need to duplicate DNS from the production server.

you have to "duplicate" Active Directory. Otherwise it won�t work. The
Server has to be the same type ( member or DC) and same partitions must
exist.

--
Viele Gr�sse aus dem M�nchner S�den

Walter Steinsdorfer [MVP]
www.faq-o-matic.net

0
wstein (44)
5/14/2005 9:08:50 PM
Hi Walter,

This mean that the receovery DC have to match the same DC name, partitions,
and Windows version of my production server when I run DCPROMO to create a
new forest?

Thanks,
Kyle

"Walter Steinsdorfer [MVP]" <wstein@inet-service.com> wrote in message
> Hi Kyle,
>
> > Thanks for quick replied.  Based on the document, when I install Win2K
> > server and run DCPROMO to create a new forest on the first receovery
> > server. I assumed this recovery server is on seperate and isolate
> > network.  Do I need to duplicate DNS from the production server.
>
> you have to "duplicate" Active Directory. Otherwise it won�t work. The
> Server has to be the same type ( member or DC) and same partitions must
> exist.
>
> --
> Viele Gr�sse aus dem M�nchner S�den
>
> Walter Steinsdorfer [MVP]
> www.faq-o-matic.net

Hi Kyle

"Kyle" <kylenguyen@prontomail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi Walter,
>
> This mean that the receovery DC have to match the same DC name,
> partitions,
> and Windows version of my production server when I run DCPROMO to create a
> new forest?
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle

if you want to build a recovery server and you are using "legacydn.exe"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5EF7786B-A699-4AAD-B104-BF9DE3F473E5&displaylang=en
then no Active Directory relevant names must match.
The drive letters, directories, database names have to match to recover your
Exchange databases on the recovery server.
In the simplest case it's a DC in a new forest with Exchange installed.

Regards
Wolfgang

0
Wolfgang
5/16/2005 5:14:50 PM
Hi,

> if you want to build a recovery server and you are using
> "legacydn.exe"
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5EF7786B-A699-4AAD-B104-BF9DE3F473E5&displaylang=en
> then no Active Directory relevant names must match. The drive letters,
> directories, database names have to match to
> recover your Exchange databases on the recovery server.
> In the simplest case it's a DC in a new forest with Exchange
> installed.

o.k., easier in this case. For a complete recovery it is not the right tool
(lost sids), but for a Database Recovery of one Exchange...

--
Viele Gr�sse aus dem M�nchner S�den

Walter Steinsdorfer [MVP]
www.faq-o-matic.net

0
wstein (44)

Exchange Client IP Address
Exchange Server-2003 Exchange Clients - Office 2003 Hi, I suspects that one of my clients is sending spam. I enabled message tracking and enabled the SMTP log files,icluding all the extended properties available. (Some of the outgoing mails has <> in the "From" field and in the queue i can see its probably the Postmater replying to the originators wich are most of the time other spammers sending to my domain junk mail.) Is there a way where i can see the IP Address of my client besides of his mail address? Thanks, Shif Arad ...

Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 and exchange server
I am Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 and exchange server. Does anyone have a reason for this and/or a work-around so that I can use MS Word as the email editor. I have reviewed the knowledge base and cannot find a solution. Please help. Thanks, HR HR <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 > and exchange server. Define "unable". What happens when you try. What version of Word? -- Brian Tillman ...

DL's from "Personal Folders" empty after moving them to Exchange "Contacts"
Hey everyone, We were running a Linux (PostFix) mail server where everyone was using POP3 and a .pst file to view their email. They were using Outlook 2000 as the client. We are moving to Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. Our DCs are Windows 2003 too. Here's the problem: After we convert a user we move all of their data from their .pst file up to the server. After we do that, we see that their DLs on the server side are now empty! Anyone know what is going on? Any white papers? Thanks for any and all help. Clayton Clayton Sutton wrote: > Hey everyone, &...

Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 sync issues
Hi I have a setup of Windows SB2003 using exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 for client access to emails. This week a very strange thing started to happen were email for one account was not being recieved in the outlook inbox it was all going to the server failure folder within the sync issues folder. How do I stop this and can I recover the mail that is sat there as when I try to open it it just gives me an error and wont allow me to open it. I have turned off Caching mode within outlook for the connection to Exchange and this seem to allow any new mail to appear in the inbox. Thanks i...

How to "transfer" or "copy" an SSL certificate from Exchange 2000 to Exchgange 2007
Sorry for my ignorance. I seem to have a brain deficiency when it comes to Certs. I am replacing an Exchange 2000 server with Exchange 2007 SP2 on Win2008. I have a .pxf that I had exported from the Ex2000 server, and I simply "imported" it into the Ex2007 using the import function on the IIS ssl certificates console on the exchange 2007 server....It now resides in that console and is also in the MMC Certificates (personal) folder and is enabled for server and client authorization. The question is: Am I done... or is there more to do in order to have things like OWA and Ac...

test image
Qui �tes-vous ? "aasma" <aasma.zahid@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de groupe de discussion : Op75VGELIHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > > lpjkmphjopihyoiuguihjgfuifuo "aasma" <aasma.zahid@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Op75VGELIHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > > ...

company split
Hi all, hoping to get some advice on this, the company i work for consists of two divisions who are effectively looking to split, and do there own thing. But initially will continue to share resources such as IT. Is it possible in exchange to allow them both to have there own email addresses such as name@company1 and name@company2 and to hide these so that relevant individuals only see the names of users relevent to there division/company in their address book. Effectively what i need to be able to do is run 2 seperate companies from one exchange box. bearing in mind that both compani...

Exchange 2003 send multiple copies of same email to clients!
I have just finished the the basic setup of Echange 2003. It only manages about 75 email acounts. I have noticed 2 things and think they are related. Firts if there is no subject for email being recieved it will hang on that email and never download to client using OutLook or Outlook Express. I can go in and through the Web based mail and remove the problem email all goes back to normal. Secondly sometimes my clients will get multiple copies of the same email. I have one now that has four copies and everytime she opens her Outlook it gives her another copy. Any help as always appreci...

Removing Anonymous Access on Backend Exchange Servers
Hi, We are running Backend & Front End Exchange Servers, Front End the anonymous access has been disabled. I am in the process of removing anonymous access in Backend also, but the problem is there are many applications which are using backend servers to send mails, most of it can be configured to authenticate before sending mails, but there are a quite a few legacy applications which cannot authenticate before sending mails (The code is not opensource & cannot be modified). I tried to allow relaying based on IP's, but still those legacy machines are not able to send mail...

Exporting Exchange mailbox List
I need to get a full list of all users mailboxes sizes in exchange, i did that by entering each store ,opened mailboxes folder and export the list that appears, the problem that the total number of mailboxes in stores is less than the users in active directory which have a mailbox, can any body tell my why this is happining, and if there is a way to export all users names with their mailbox sizes for statistical reports without the need to open each store. The farm we have are windows 2003 active directory, no SP1 installed, and i have Exchange 2003 with SP1. Hi, It is possible for a...

Exchange 2003/SP2 cant get SPF working
I am trying to test SPF in SP2 I have defined my SPF policy to reject mail that fails an SPF check I have a test domain that I have deliberately configured the SPF field to claim mail will only be generated from the wrong host. I have defined the SPF policy to reject mail that fails the SPF check and then gone to the default Virtual SMTP server (the only one defined) and turned on SPF filter for that connection. I stopped & started the SMTP server. I then use that domain to send a mail to the Exchange server (single server - ie not a front/back end setup). The mail should have ...

exchange 5.5/2003 with mixed mode 2003 domain public folders
Hi, I have recently completed some work for a potential customer, I am recommending that they in place upgrade their existing NT 4 domain to 2003 based on various reasons that I do not want to go into here. However, they also want their single exchange 5.5 org in the same domain to be migrated at the same time. This will be a mixed mode 5.5 to 2003 migration. At this stage the domain will be in mixed mode and will not support universal security groups. The customer uses public folders quitre heavily, I do not know the exact amount, but the user base is 2500 approx. They use distribution list...

Exchange 2003/Outlook2003 Receive Error
Has any ever seen, and fixed the following error when Outlook 2003 is trying to receive data from Exchange 2003. "Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.'" I'm not sure exactly what broke it, but this is on a test rig. Uninstalled deleted directories and reinstall Exchange. Client side, happens to three out or three test workstations. Tried removing and recreating profiles. Just out of things to try. Thanks Larry Warnat Turn off cached mode and see if it goes away. If so it i...

redirection of the exchange virtual directory
When connecting via OWA can you setup a redirection to the exchange virtual directory? So when browsing there is no need to put the /exchange ie https://mail.co.uk (only) Thanks I remember Ben typing this up ages ago here: http://www.techtidbits.net/html/redirect.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28AF63EF-F1F5-4306-926B-7830C7E6B888@microsoft.com... > When connecting via OWA can you setup a redirection to the exchange > virtual > directory? > > So when browsing there is no need to put the /...

exchange checking other pop3 accounts on other servers
I have a local exchange server on a small network. our email is hosted by our isp on a dedicated server I have using mail enable. I connect to it via pop 3. I have the exchange box on the network to have a mail store so I don't loose email. That's it's only real funciton. When I get email through outlook 07 it's from the other server and then it saves in exchange etc. is there any way in exchange 2003 or the upcomming 2007 server to have IT check the other server box so I don't have to do it through outlook? This would allow me to not have to have outlook running for...

Outlook 2003 not sending emails to Exchange server
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem. I have been searching the web and cannot find a solution. I am running exchange 2000 all SP's, configured so it is not an open relay. My accounts need to authenticate to send emails. This seems to work fine under any MS outlook or OExpress version except Outlook 2003. I have ran the outlook updates that are available on the MS site to no avail. the error message when selecting "Test Account Settings" is *************** Send test e-mail message: Outlook could not logon to the outgoing mail server (SMTP). The problem could b...

How to restart exchange 2000 without rebooting the server
after making changes, the Exchange server needs to be restarted according to some suggestions I've seen in this newsgroup. How can I do it without rebooting the server? What kind of changes? Is it an OS level change? then you have to restart the server. Otherwise try restarting the SA service. -- Santhosh Sivarajan MCSE(W2K3/W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+ "RobGMiller" <RobGMiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30D51221-45C6-444B-9C90-3B8E149DAF91@microsoft.com... > after making changes, the Exchange server needs to be restarted acc...

MailBoxes limit on Exchange 2003 server
I amd trying to find the actual limit microsoft recommends for mailboxes on an exchager server. Is there such a thing. Exchange 2003 SP1 enterprise HP DL380 hardware and I am not talking about mailbox size limits but the actual mailbox count. 1000 ~ or 50,000 users can anyone help TL I'm not sure there is a recommended limit. It really depends on lots of things...how beefy your hardware is, how active the mailboxes are, etc. I believe the largest number of mailboxes I have on one server is about 3500...those are spread across multiple storage groups and mailbox stores...my servers...

Block large attachments on the client (not the Exchange server)
Hi, Does anyone know a method of blocking users attach files over a certain size to a message in Outlook? I know the message size can be configured in Exchange however I am looking for a client based solution as I don't have control over the Exchange server settings which is currently set too large at 30mb. I would like to prevent users from composing new emails which are over 15mb without touching Exchange, so it needs to be a client side Outlook addin or setting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Craig Set a rule that looks something like the following. ...

Move information from exchange server running different domain to
Hello My company has recently bought a new business. The users of the running were using outlook.They want to keep all the information that including contacts, calendar, mail. I have created accounts for all of them in my AD and also mailboxes. What is the best way to move all their info into my exchange server. I ma running a different domain and the other company was running a diff domain. They will have new email ID"S from my company. In news:8AA1C3FC-9829-4AEC-80C4-30C9840CA91C@microsoft.com, KPM <KPM@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hello > > My company has r...

Exchange 2003 backup
Can anyone who is running Exchange Server 2003 share with me what their backup/disaster recovery plan is should their exchange server fail to function or the server that it resides on dies. I am confused in terms of a what a good backup plan should be from the exchange server side of things and what type of planning should be done to recover quickly should this happen.I can only imagine the chaos that would take place if users couldn't access their e-mail or send e-mail etc. Regards, John "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone who is r...

Exchange 5.5 MTA Missing
When I open my Exchange Admin for 5.5 and drill down to my server the Message Transfer Agent container is no longer visible on the right, nor is MTA Site Configuration Container under the Configuration Container... Anyone have any ideas? Please... Andres ...

Hiding a field in Exchange
I have hidden a field in Exchange so when people click on a mailbox properties they don't see it but someone has found a way to display it, simply using the Add to Contact button from the mailbox properties in Outlook. How can I modify this behavior so the hidden field is NOT transported in the contact folder ? The field we're using is the Notes in the telephone tab. Thanks. Michel, It depends on what you use notes for, but you could try removing read permissions from authenticated users to the Notes Property in AD. Joe "Michel Paquin" wrote: > I have hidden ...

Antigen 8.5 for Exchange
I have antigen installed on my 2003 exchange for virus and spam. Over the last couple of weeks it has reduce the performance of my exchange server greatly. It has come to the point where I had to uninstall it. The error message that keep showing in the event viewer is " Realtime scan has exceeded the allotted time. I tried rebooting the server and still the same issue. You'll need to call Sybari (now owned by Microsoft) for that. You may also get an email alert when this happens, and some alerts will say you need to call Sybari. In the past such issues occurred because of deep...

Microsoft Exchange Server #3
Trying to use Outlook 2007 for first time. It is asking to connect to Exchange Server. I dont know what to type under microsoft exchange server:_____. It won't let me get connected. Always say: The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action. Please help, what to type, tried to type my hotmail and yahoo and gmail account but still not working. Help close outlook. go to control panel, mail (it's under user accounts if you use the groups view) - click on the profiles button and...