Exchange Message Archive/Availability

I have Exchange 5.5 currently. I've posted a few messages this morning on
store limits. Thanks for the replies! This quetion is a geared a bit
differently.

Our users receive a lot of email that they want to retain, but business-wise
it does not belong in their mailbox. Meaning, its an email that other people
in the organization should have access to. A quick example of this would be
a customer service rep receiving an email PO. This may be an attachment or
it may be just in the body of the email. Currently, this rep creates a
folder in their mailbox called customer A and retains the email there for a
period of time. However, we have other customer service reps, sales people,
and others who may be interested in the email, need to access if the rep is
unavailable, etc.

One way we could handle this is creating public folders where the users
could arrange, store, and access the info. Another method would be to create
hard disk folders and save emails to disk and such. I have not seen a ton of
offerings, but think there is also add-on software that allows such a thing
and adds the benefit of allowing long term storage without impact to
Exchange performance, store size, etc. We are not subject to any government
retention issues, but we desire to do something like this for our own
business purpose. The add-on software approach seems like it might be more
flexible and easier for users than the public folder or hard disk approach.

Does anyone use any of these methods and be willing to share your
experiences on them? Are they effective? Any issues? Do users do it?

0
sschmeg (13)

I don't see what could be much easier than Public folders...we use them
extensively here, for just the same reasons you are enumerating...

"Steve" <sschmeg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have Exchange 5.5 currently. I've posted a few messages this morning on
> store limits. Thanks for the replies! This quetion is a geared a bit
> differently.
>
> Our users receive a lot of email that they want to retain, but
business-wise
> it does not belong in their mailbox. Meaning, its an email that other
people
> in the organization should have access to. A quick example of this would
be
> a customer service rep receiving an email PO. This may be an attachment or
> it may be just in the body of the email. Currently, this rep creates a
> folder in their mailbox called customer A and retains the email there for
> period of time. However, we have other customer service reps, sales
people,
> and others who may be interested in the email, need to access if the rep
is
> unavailable, etc.
>
> One way we could handle this is creating public folders where the users
> could arrange, store, and access the info. Another method would be to
create
> hard disk folders and save emails to disk and such. I have not seen a ton
of
> offerings, but think there is also add-on software that allows such a
thing
> and adds the benefit of allowing long term storage without impact to
> Exchange performance, store size, etc. We are not subject to any
government
> retention issues, but we desire to do something like this for our own
> business purpose. The add-on software approach seems like it might be more
> flexible and easier for users than the public folder or hard disk
approach.

> Does anyone use any of these methods and be willing to share your
> experiences on them? Are they effective? Any issues? Do users do it?

0
susan7353 (1225)