Exchange Failing when Removing GC from same box

The background:

I am trying to install Exchange 2007 but cannot because I have two Windows
2000 DCs with GCs.  The two Windows 2000 DCs happen to be on the same boxes
as my Exchange 2000 cluster.  I have two other Windows 2003 boxes in the same
site with all FSMO roles and both are GC.

The problem:

I'm in a catch 22 because I cannot install Exchange 2007 and when I remove
either the GC role from the Windows 2000 boxes or demote them, Exchange
fails.

The Question:

Has anyone come across a situation like this and know of a solution?

Thanks
0
EricByers (1)

In order to install Ex07, you will need 2003GCs that has
infrastructure role. Since your exchange 2k boxes and DC's are on same
box, GC failover will not occur. Manually configure your Exchange 2000
server to talk to another GC in your dsaccess tab of your exchange
server in ESM.

James Chong (MVP)
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

On Mar 19, 12:31 pm, Eric Byers <EricBy...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> The background:
>
> I am trying to install Exchange 2007 but cannot because I have two Windows
> 2000 DCs with GCs.  The two Windows 2000 DCs happen to be on the same boxes
> as my Exchange 2000 cluster.  I have two other Windows 2003 boxes in the same
> site with all FSMO roles and both are GC.
>
> The problem:
>
> I'm in a catch 22 because I cannot install Exchange 2007 and when I remove
> either the GC role from the Windows 2000 boxes or demote them, Exchange
> fails.
>
> The Question:
>
> Has anyone come across a situation like this and know of a solution?
>
> Thanks

0
jamestechman (1266)

How to block users access to Exchange 2003 (during virus outbreak)
I am writing up a guide to help us during a virus outbreak situation. I'm following some ideas that Microsoft has already written regarding cleaning up Exchange servers... however, one suggestion they have is to block all user access to a server by simply unplugging the network cable. This works ok ifan admin is local to the server and/or an organization is not very large or global. However, we require remote admin access to many of our servers so this is not an option. I need a better plan to quickly block all user access to all Exchange servers. Thoughts were to use the registry set...

spam relaying Exchange 2003?
i just started to poke around in my exchange log files, and it appears that my server has been forwardng spam. is there any way to prevent this? I have gone to the default SMTP server and denied relaying unles it's my local machine. how ever, I'm not sure if that's enought. Here is a snippet of one of the log reports. It appears that my server is emailing people with a blank from address. Anyone ever seen this before? is this normal? i'm running Windows Small Business Server 2003, RC1. ******************** 2007-02-26 06:20:51 193.19.160.200 OutboundConnectionRespo...

First Exchange Client and Exchange Server 2003
I have a customer that is running Exchange 5.5 on an NT 4.0 box and they have several stores that are running the very first Exchange Client, not outlook but Exchange Client. Does anyone know if this will work with Exchange Server 2003? I know several functions of E2K3 server will not work with the client such as cached mode and some filtering options. What I would like to know if it will work at all. Thanks!! Yes, you can connect to a mailbox using the old Exchange Client. I would advise, however, you/they don't open any of those mailboxes with a higher version Outlook client and...

Critical issue with exchange 5.5 and MyDoom virus
Hello, Here we have a critical issue since Mydoom appeared on the network. Our exchange server is set in order to accept inbound email for few local domains (let's say domain1.com and domain2.com). We are currently receiving emails to fake recipients on our domains such as toto@domain1.com. BUT toto does not exist on our server. So exchange is trying to send a 'non delivery receipt' to the sender or the email. UNFORTUNATLY sometimes the sender's domain or even the sender does not exist. We have : - a file priv.edb which grows by minutes - the databases priv.edb and p...

Filtering a combo box using a combo box
All, I am trying to filter the records from a table displayed in a combo box using a combo box on the same form. I built a query and set the criteria as Me![FormName]![Combo_box]. This allowed me to filter the list, but it did not do exactly what I wanted. When the first combo box is blank, the second one is also blank. Is there anyway I can get the second combo box to display all of the records when the first box is blank? Thank you for your help. Regards, John Try a criteria in the second combo of: Like Forms!YourFormName!Combo1Name & "*" -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http:/...

Visio 2003
Hi everybody! I'm implementing a c# application with the visio drawing control. In my application I want to open the snap&glue dialog box (from the tools menu) through a menu item. I didn't find an appropriate viswintype in the visio 2003 sdk documentation. Is this possible at all? Please help me out. Many thanks. On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 06:08:36 -0700, Evelyn Reichel <evelyn.reichel@inode.at> wrote: >Hi everybody! > >I'm implementing a c# application with the visio drawing control. In >my application I want to open the snap&glue dialog box (from the too...

Mail SENDING from more than ONE domain on one Exchange box
Hi, An Exchange guru had taught this in a Microsoft seminar before but I happened to not write it down. There's a way to trick Exchange to send emails on one Exchange box with one Default recipient list to go FROM more than one domain. Anyone here has any idea? Thanks. You can change the default SMTP address of any user to any domain and that will be the from address. Whether people will receive the message depends on whether DNS records correctly point both domains at your Exchange server. "Gee0" <huypham98@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:85idnVOkeoj4UsjfRV...

Exchange mail is pulled completely into an inaccessible ost file
When I look into my mailbox in outlook, I don't see my emails; however I notice an ost file that is large in size. As a test, I sent myself an email from another account and I noticed it in my outlook mailbox briefly before it disappears and subsequently the ost file grew larger. How do I stop this complete offloading into an ost file? How do I synchronise an ost file with exchange that I can't even see in outlook but is connected and doing work in the backroom? -- Rock On! is it offloading into an ost file or into a pst file somewhere? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP...

Exchange Server 2003 Hosting Provider
Hi, My company is looking to move from an inhouse Exchange Server 2003 to a hosting provider. We would like to know of any links of reviews of Exchange Server 2003 hosting providers or any recommendations. Thank You in advance, Sam Hi, Try this link http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/certification/hostedexchange.asp "Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1bd1e01c45195$1b96a150$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > My company is looking to move from an inhouse Exchange > Server 2003 to a hosting provider. We would like to know >...

Good White paper on Exchange SP2 https syncing?
Does anyone know where I might find a good white paper that describes the Syncing features of SP2? I will also post this over in the exchange server group. thanks, Tom G Doubt you'll find one yet. HTTP syncing isn't going to work until the MSFP comes out. At least that's what I've been told. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com "Tom Giannelli" <tgiannelli@gmail.com> wrote in message news:593103f524948c7c2da6567333a@msnews.microsoft.com... > Does anyone know where I might find a good white paper that d...

MS
Why is it taking so long to create a newsgroup for Exchange 2003? Time to move on from "Exchange All Versions", "Exchange 2000", and "Outlook" Come on! get with your own program ...

What is more important on Exchange
Okay, I've been asked to setup an Exchange Server 2003 and I was wondering in what order from most important to least important do you put the hardware? Example, 1. Processor 2. Memory 3. Hard Drive space. So would it be more important to have 1gig memory with 2 duel 3.2ghz xeon processors with 3 73scsi drives in Raid 5 or Pentium D Processor 830 @ 3.2ghz duel core, with 4 hard drives at 250gig in Raid 5 with 2gigs of ram? I think that actually that would depend on some things...How many users? how much email are they going to be keeping? how active are they in email? What are thei...

Help Needed with SMTP Settings on Exchange and ISA 2004 SMTP Add-in
Hi all, I would really like to get as much help as possible on the SMTP (spam; attacks as dictionary harvesting, NDRs etc..) I am seeing entries under Default SMTP Virtual Server / Current Sessions that stick to more than 20 minutes... to avoid that, I set tarpit to 180 (3 mins on the response given by the server on 5.xxx requests... for the most part it works really good BUT I still would like to get all the PROs opinion on this issue. BTY, this environment is SBS 2003 R2, ISA Installed and Message Screening installed and using the SMTP Add-in. Thanks, Dan Tarp...

Cannot remove envelope toolbar in Excel
I have a single .xls that will not allow me to clear the envelope toolbar. It's become a pain, suggestions? Excel 2000 SR-1/SP3. Thanx. Open the VB Editor and look in This Workbook for Application.Toolbars ("Envelope").Visible=True Change the True to False -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Erik" <vonzeppelin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:002d01c397f8$0d28b100$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a single .xls that will not allow me to clear the > envelope toolbar. It's become a pain, suggestions? > Excel 2000 SR-1/...

Still having a problem with my combo box
i have manged to create my combo box and when i click on it to pull it down all my info of my customer names address postcode and numbers can be viewed i then click on one of the customer names and the name appears in the combo box this is fine and what i want but iam still unsure on how to display the rest of the info for that customer on the form , whats the best way to do it and could you explain in detail how to because iam very new and only learning about the fundimentals of access . See this article: http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0058.htm -- Ken Snell <MS ACCES...

Exchange rate to trans currency money fields
Hi all, Standard CRM applies the exchange rate fluctuations to CRM money base fields(_base) but not to the trans currency money fields which are displayed on q quote or any other forms. my requirement is the exchange rate has to be applied to trans currency fields. Ex: when i revise my quote, the quote has to be revised with latest currency exchange rate.means the displayed money field values on a quote should get update with exchange rate. Is it possible? pls help me out if there is any way of doing it either through plug-In etc. Thanks, MKR That's simply not how it works. ...

Send mail when not connected to Exchange
I am using OL2k and am hooked up to a SBS 4.5 server at the office. I don't have any offline access to the server from my laptop, which is fine. But what I would like to do, is when I'm at home and connected to my DSL, I would like to able to send email thru my home ISP email account rather then having it sit in the outbox until I connect to the exchange server the next day. Is this possible. Thanks in advance. Gr ...

Exchange 2003 OWA step by step instructions
Hi, I was wondering inf anyone has detailed step by step instructions to implement OWA in a Exchange 2003 enviroment. We will be putting the front end server in a DMZ. Thanks Chris Chris: Putting the FE server in the DMZ is a very bad idea. You will spend many hours troubleshooting and getting the firewall configured properly. So, please DON'T DO IT!!!! It will make your life much more difficult and it really won't improve your security. If anything, it could introduce new vulnerabilities due to the ports that need to be opened through the firewall. If someone has...

Operation failed #14
I have encountered a problem that occurs quite frequently when accessing MS Office Outlook. Running XP + SP2. When I try to open Outlook an error message is displayed The Operation Failed. I then have to reboot my PC . An suggestions on what the problem is and how to correct would be most welcomed In news:lxaVe.23079$k22.12508@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk, belto <belto@blueyonder.co.uk> typed: > I have encountered a problem that occurs quite frequently when > accessing MS Office Outlook. > Running XP + SP2. > When I try to open Outlook an error message is displayed &g...

why does publisher 97 fail to save in limited user account
I am using windows XP. one of the accounts on the PC is a limited user (not admin) Publisher 97 will not save the files when using this account. Error message "could not create a tempory file" occurs. Works fine if the user profile is changed to admin user? ...

CRM 4 mail merge from Outlook fails with redirected profile folder
We're experiencing the following issue and cant work out why it's happening except to say it only occurs when using folder redirection for the 'Application Data' folder in a user's roaming profile. If we disable this and make it a local folder the mail merge works correctly. The problem occurs when running a mail merge against more than one contact record (This is a general problem that occurs from any entity). When the mail merge is completed, either via 'Edit individual letters' or 'print', and the option to create activities is chosen, only the fir...

Preview Pane in Outlook Web Access on 2003 exchange server
Is ther a way to globally set the default value for the reading pane to Off for all folders under outlook web access? eli silverman wrote: > Is ther a way to globally set the default value for the reading pane > to Off for all folders under outlook web access? Microsoft Outlook Web Access 2003 Web Administration tool should be able to do this: Download details: Exchange 2003: Outlook Web Access Web Administration: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BBE7065-A04E-43CA-8220-859212411E10&displaylang=en -- Henrik Walther Exchange MVP Exchange-faq.dk MSExchange...

How to Remove Watermark from Title Page ONLY
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) The watermark function that I am using under 'Insert' only allows me to insert a watermark or remove a watermark from all pages in my Word document. <br><br>Does anyone know how to remove the watermark from a single page only? A watermark is nothing more than graphic content added to the Header of a document. In order to vary content in Headers/Footers, Section Breaks are required in the document. See Word Help on the use of Section Breaks. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 3/23/10 3...

How do I view complete text content in an Excel Comment box?
When scrolling over comment boxes in Excel, I can only partially view note content. Is it possible to specifiy the size of the comment box OR is there any simple method available to view complete contents of comment box while scrolling over? Right-click>Edit Comment>Drag to re-size. Or re-size all using code. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlcomments03.html#Resize Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 02:41:01 -0700, Deaglan1 <Deaglan1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When scrolling over comment boxes in Excel, I can only partially view note ...

2 FONT Color menu boxes that can display 2 different colors independently
Hi I need help with a code that can allow 2 FONT Color menu boxes in the toolbar that can allow me to display 2 different colors at one time independently. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements AFAIK, you can't have independent font colour buttons. You could record the steps as you apply font colour to a cell, then assi...