Exchange Disk Queue

hello,

Our disk queue for the drives that host my exchange database files are going
off the charts and causing a lot of communication issues.  This just started
in the last 2 weeks.  Does anyone know a way to monitor who is sending and
receiving or using exchange so I can diagnose who or what is causing this?

thanks

Tim

0
tim8233 (9)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BDC1D6B-DE34-4F1C-AEBA-FED1256CAF9A&displaylang=en

/Simon
"Tim" <tim@dansko.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> Our disk queue for the drives that host my exchange database files are
> going off the charts and causing a lot of communication issues.  This just
> started in the last 2 weeks.  Does anyone know a way to monitor who is
> sending and receiving or using exchange so I can diagnose who or what is
> causing this?
>
> thanks
>
> Tim

Download exmon, it will show your high activity users.

Microsoft Exchange Server User Monitor
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9a49c22e-e0c7-4b7c-acef-729d48af7bc9&DisplayLang=en

James Chong (MVP)

On Mar 15, 9:22 am, "Tim" <t...@dansko.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> Our disk queue for the drives that host my exchange database files are going
> off the charts and causing a lot of communication issues.  This just started
> in the last 2 weeks.  Does anyone know a way to monitor who is sending and
> receiving or using exchange so I can diagnose who or what is causing this?
>
> thanks
>
> Tim

0
jamestechman (1266)
3/17/2007 9:53:09 PM
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:22:15 -0400, "Tim" <tim@dansko.com> wrote:

>hello,
>
>Our disk queue for the drives that host my exchange database files are going
>off the charts and causing a lot of communication issues.  This just started
>in the last 2 weeks.  Does anyone know a way to monitor who is sending and
>receiving or using exchange so I can diagnose who or what is causing this?
>
>thanks
>
>Tim

If you have BlackBerry users you should focus on them before the two
links that Simon and James pointed you at.
0
mark7219 (5666)
3/20/2007 3:22:43 PM
We do have blackberry users, what would be the issues with them?  We only
have 12.

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:22:15 -0400, "Tim" <tim@dansko.com> wrote:
>
>>hello,
>>
>>Our disk queue for the drives that host my exchange database files are
>>going
>>off the charts and causing a lot of communication issues.  This just
>>started
>>in the last 2 weeks.  Does anyone know a way to monitor who is sending and
>>receiving or using exchange so I can diagnose who or what is causing this?
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>Tim
>>
> If you have BlackBerry users you should focus on them before the two
> links that Simon and James pointed you at.

0
tim8233 (9)
3/20/2007 8:01:42 PM
Blackberry is very heavy from an IOPS perspective, usually we see between 3
and 5 times the load of a standard mailbox once its blackberry enabled.
However, I would still be tempted to do some analysis and figure out whats
going on rather than just assume its blackberry, maybe its something else?

Maybe start by...

Event Logs, look for online tasks or backups, do you know what the schedules
are?
AV scan job running?
What do the SMTP Queues look like?
Is it a disk read queue or a write queue?
Run EXMON and see whos using the server?

I guess you could also try shutting down blackberry for half an hour and see
if the load drops - at least that would rule it out :)

Neil.

> We do have blackberry users, what would be the issues with them?  We only
> have 12.
>

> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:22:15 -0400, "Tim" <tim@dansko.com> wrote:
>>
>>>hello,
>>>
>>>Our disk queue for the drives that host my exchange database files are
>>>going
>>>off the charts and causing a lot of communication issues.  This just
>>>started
>>>in the last 2 weeks.  Does anyone know a way to monitor who is sending
>>>and
>>>receiving or using exchange so I can diagnose who or what is causing
>>>this?
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>
>>>Tim
>>>
>> If you have BlackBerry users you should focus on them before the two
>> links that Simon and James pointed you at.

0
neiljohn (1)

Exchange 2003 services list
Hi All, i want to know the services list for exchange 2003 and what they are doing, any web link or reference willbe helpful thanks in advance regards shajahan ...

Updating Clustered Exchange
Hi People, I've an Exchange 2003 SP2 A/P cluster on 2003 Sp1 Ent. servers and I'm wondering about the best way to apply my Windows OS Updates. I presume it's just a case of... * applying updates to my passive node, reboot if required * move resources to updated node * apply updates to new passive node Am I correct?I've had a scout around Thanks for your help, Orb. I do it like that. -- ~~~~ Javier Crespo Martinez Information Technology Service University of Cantabria, Spain "Orbital" wrote: > Hi People, > > I've an Exchange 2003 SP2 A/P c...

NDR on Exchange 5.5
Hello, I need help from experts. How can I prevent exchange 5.5 to send NDRs to extern sender. Thanks for answers. D. Ruehling For non-existent users? Sorry, you can't. "Detlef" <detlef.ruehling@eho.tfed.de> wrote in message news:56b301c3e5b5$775c12f0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I need help from experts. > > How can I prevent exchange 5.5 to send NDRs to extern > sender. > > Thanks for answers. > > D. Ruehling Hi Susan, I think I read an article in a pc magazine in the Tips and Tricks or something a long time ago that suggested ...

IIS SMTP service as anSMTP Gateway to Exchange 5.5
I could use some input on what I am proposing below. Setup: Win2K wiht IIS 5.o SMTP service setup relaying to a NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 box. (this is all working great) I have this setup to allow for Spam and Virus filtering amoung other reasons. Side note: because of things out of my control both oxes are avaible to the internet on some ports POP SMTP RPC etc.. I can't change this. Here's my problem: With this MyDoom virus I have noticed a problem with my present setup. Because I have POP3 users as well. They acccess the back exchange box. We have an A record for it. an...

upgrade exchange 2k hardware
Hi all, I'm reviewing our server hardware and am considering moving my exchange 2k std to a newer machine. I'm running a win2k domain and exchange is on a 2k member server. There are no other exchange servers. This would be a hardware move only. I would like to emulate the old system onto the new as much as possible (i.e. the os would remain a 2k member server, etc). Is there a guide out there outlining the steps for such a move? Thanks! here's some info, if you wish to keep the same server name, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297289/en-us but the better way is usuall...

Re-installing IMS on Exchange Server 5.5
Hi! I deleted the Internet Mail Service (IMS) from my exchange server because I wanted to try to set it up from scratch again. The only problem is that when I choose File-New Other-Internet Mail Service and go through the steps, it gives me an error msg at the last step where I fill in the password for the service-account that runs the Microsoft Exchange Directory-service. I know I'm typing the correct password and I have even tried to change the user and use the correct password for this other user. I still keep getting the error msg saying: "Logon Failure: unknown username or bad p...

Move Exchange server
Can someone point me to a KB article that covers the steps that need to be taken to move an exchange server to a different OU. I understand that the System Attendant service must be restarted. Unless I have microsoft documentation stating that it's O.K. to move the OU, I won't be able to do it. Thank you! On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:58:07 -0700, "Exchange help" <Exchangehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can someone point me to a KB article that covers the steps that need to be >taken to move an exchange server to a different OU. I understand that the &...

RFaxGate Error on Exchange 2k3
The description for Event ID ( 7107 ) in Source ( RFaxGate ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to query the rows in the mail list. Error (0x8004010f). I'm getting following message in application log of Exchanges server. We've got Exchange 2k3 with sp2 and latest patches on W2k3 cluster(active-passive-recommende...

Exchange 2010 Hub/CAS
I am in the process of transitioning from Exchange 2003 SP2 to Exchange 2010. I've set up 2 servers running Exchange 2010 with combined Hub Transport and Client Access roles. I am using Windows Load Balancing for the CAS array. My understanding is that the Hub Transport roles will automatically load balance. In front of these servers I have a firewall and an email filtering server. The firewall routes all SMTP traffic to the email filter server. The email filter server then routes allowed mail to my existing Exchange 2003 front-end server, which then delivers the mail to the ...

how to get internal email in the queue ?
Hi, I know that an internal email that is forwarded to an emailaddress that is setup as a queue will not arrive in ms crm, but I need to have a workaround for this. Any sugguestions ? I assume it must be possible to get around this. Please help. Regards Wim Wim - I've been able to set up a free forwarding account outside the domain - something like mydomain_helpdesk@yahoo.com - and set up that external account to automatically forward all email back into my helpdesk address - helpdesk@mydomain.com (which is associated with the CRM Queue) - So, instead of emailing the CRM Queue dire...

OWA and multiple Exchange Servers
Hi, I'll first sketch my situation: 3 Exchange-servers (exch1,2 and 3), all in the same domain but on differtent locations. Local Domain Name is clientname.local. On one of the servers OWA is configured. Problem: I want all users to use exch1 as their OWA server, regardless of on wich server they actually have their mailbox. It works fine now for users on exch1.clientname.local (wich also has an external DSN entry on the internet (https://companyname.nl/exchange)), but as soon as users that exist on any of the other servers try to log in they get redirect to eg. http://exch2.clientname....

Failover Exchange Servers
If I have an Exchange 2000/2003 server located at a colo and another Exchange Server 2000/2003 server located in my building, can Exchange be configured so that any email that comes to my company, would hit the first server and then forward a copy to the Exchange server that is sitting in my building? The users would have their default be the Exchange Server at the building but if something were to go happen, power outage etc, I could change their setting to point to the Exchange server that is located at the colo and they could continue running with access to all their email, etc? I know th...

Virtual user supports in exchange server (a email account without actually creating a email account)
I want to provide email service to my customer, but I don't want to create real user account and email account for each one. for example, I want to assign email like xyz123@mycompany.com to my customer, but I don't really have a email account named "xyz123" setup for it. Still, I want to be able to look at all the new email in the exchange server and extract those emails and doing somework accordingly. Does anyone know if Exchange server support this feature? If not, any other window based email server support it? Thank you so much for the help.. --Xin Chen In news:...

Setting company-wide holidays on exchange/outlook calendar
Is it possible to set holidays globally on exchange so that it will appear on everyone's Outlook calendar, instead of setting them for each user? Thanks, John ...

Update Exchange 2003 with SP1
We currently have the following Exchange 2003 servers running on Windows 2000 : One F/E serser and two Back-end servers, and we are getting ready to updated them with SP1, is there any specific order in performing this upgrade process?? Any side effects we should be aware of ??? Your input will be greatly appreciated Best, Edmundo. On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:26:02 -0800, Edmundog9 <Edmundog9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We currently have the following Exchange 2003 servers running on Windows 2000 >: One F/E serser and two Back-end servers, and we are getting ready to &g...

How to remove an orphaned exchange 2K server from the domain?
Someone in our department made a mistake to FORMAT an Win2K DC + Exchange 2K server without cleaning it up from the domain. I am seeing its name under at least three places: - ADUC - AD Sites and Services - Exchange System Manager Q1. I believe cleaning it from the first two is easy, however I did not find an instruction about proper steps to remove a server from Exchange System Manager. Any hint will be appreciated. Q2. Except three applications that I mentioed above, is there somewhere else I should clean up as well? Thanks in advance for any help. http://support.microsoft.com/defau...

Exchange Mailbox store wont mount
A client of mine mistakenly deleted an active exchange 2000 server log file. After this action the mailbox store failed to mount even though the Information store service is running. The backup he has is 2 days old. How can he recover without loosing data. Thanks. You had better call PSS on this one. There is a slight chance that you can walk out of this with no data loss, but normally when you delete an active log file (hasn't been committed fully yet), you are going to have *some* data loss. Fixing this will likely involve using Isinteg and/or Eseutil, but you will want PSS on th...

Cannot convert docx because 8GB RAM and 750 GB disk space not enough
Really! I can't open a docx Word file because "There is not enough memory or disk space to convert this document." Seriously!?! For a 37kb file? Not enough memory? 27' iMac: 8 GB RAM (only 30 percent being used) and 796 GB of hard drive space isn't enough to convert a little Word document? What system configuration would I need to convert this Word document? I have a feeling that twice as much of both still wouldn't do it. It is a file DLed from MS regarding styles in the 2011 version. I used to love Word. Loved it. Have to say, love is diminishing with every inc...

Exchange 5.5 does not sent mails with attachment
Hello NG we are currently running our Exchange 5.5 server but going to switch to 2003 within this year. Now we have the problem that the server does not sent mails bigger 5MB anymore. Smaller ones is no problem. There is no restiction set in the server settings nor does the firewall or virus checker block them. Any idear?? Best regards Chris Ruetten On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:57:59 +0100, "Christoph Ruetten" <c.ruetten@radiometer.de> wrote: >Hello NG > >we are currently running our Exchange 5.5 server but going to switch to 2003 >within this year. > &g...

Exchange 2003 OWA shared calendar access
Hi We are using Exchange 2003 with both OWA and outlook 2003 clients. I have set the permissions on everyones calendar so everybody has reviewer access to each other calendars. All calendars can be opened when using Outlook 2003. However when using OWA only some calendars can be opened and others are stating "You are not authorized to view this page" when trying to open them even though the permissions have been set to access them. I am trying to access them by typing http://servername/exchange/username/calendar Any ideas would be greatfully received Colin ...

blooking files at the exchange server level
Hi. How do I block attachement at the exchange server level. We are running Exch 2000 and would like to block many files such as. pif, com, exe, doc and so on. I'm currently using Symantec filtering but it is not working 100% effectively. our monitor sofware shows hundreds if not thousands of spoofed emails with attachments filtering in and out. Your ideas and suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks, Louis T. ...

Excel "Not Enough Available Memory or disk space
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Hi, has anyone seen this message when trying to open an Excel File? "Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk space." This happens on any excel documents of any size and only a logout seems to clear this up. The users have plenty of RAM (4gigs) so that's not the issue and there's plenty of disk space as well. Any help appreciated! "tjbud@officeformac.com" wrote: > Hi, has anyone seen this message when trying to open an Exce...

Exchange 2003 and ISA Server
Can someone send me (or point me to any info) on the list of ports required to support an ISA server in the DMZ and the front end server on the internal network. The ISA server will be a member of the domain and will be handling authentication for the logon requests. This will of course mean that standard AD ports will need to be open. Thanks. Nue Head over to ISAServer.org. Lots of good informaion over there from peope like Dr. Tom and others. This site should help you out. Could also look at ISAtools.org. Jim can be opionaited but is a good guy. Frank Clark --------------------...

Microsoft Exchange Server
Can anyone help me understand the Microsoft Exchange Server installation process? I have Windows XP and Office XP (2002), and have Outlook installed and running. However, I'd like to be able to use the features of Microsoft Exchange Server under Outlook - e.g. sharing the calendar. When I activate the Mail icon in the Control Panel and choose Microsoft Exchange Server, I have to input the name of "your Microsoft Exchange Server computer. For information, see your system administrator" - I AM THE SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR!!!!! It's a small home computer network. Nowhere I hav...

Exchange 2k3 transaction logs.
Is it possible to have my transaction logs reside on a network drive? If so, what would be the procedure for re-directing them? I have seen some people saying that you(I) should use "performance monitor", seems to be I would just do a online backup then un-mount the store so no more transactions transpire and then change the path in the properties of the IS. I know this is a risky proposition, because it depends on the uptime of the other server that is holding the log files, which leads to another question, what happens if there is no place for transaction files to go? Will Exchange...