Exchange disaster recovery help

I was wondering I have a client thats wants to have a disaster recovery site
where if site A goes down site B will be able to handle his mail needs. My
real question is can exchange some how replicate the data store to a 2nd site
so that site B will have all of the same data in case of a disaster? I know I
can do clustering but that would be in the same physical location not in
seperate location if I am not mistaken. Any ideas would be great
0
Eddie1 (114)

you can also do stretch clustering, which is geographically spanned cluster
nodes in different locations...but it is quite expensive and the replication
can be problematic...

"Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering I have a client thats wants to have a disaster recovery
site
> where if site A goes down site B will be able to handle his mail needs. My
> real question is can exchange some how replicate the data store to a 2nd
site
> so that site B will have all of the same data in case of a disaster? I
know I
> can do clustering but that would be in the same physical location not in
> seperate location if I am not mistaken. Any ideas would be great

0
sconkey (3059)
5/19/2005 2:10:27 PM
is this something that is part of windows or is this a thrid party
application. I know you can do netapps but I wasn't sure if it would work
with exchange

"Susan" wrote:

> you can also do stretch clustering, which is geographically spanned cluster
> nodes in different locations...but it is quite expensive and the replication
> can be problematic...
>
> "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I was wondering I have a client thats wants to have a disaster recovery
> site
> > where if site A goes down site B will be able to handle his mail needs. My
> > real question is can exchange some how replicate the data store to a 2nd
> site
> > so that site B will have all of the same data in case of a disaster? I
> know I
> > can do clustering but that would be in the same physical location not in
> > seperate location if I am not mistaken. Any ideas would be great

0
Eddie1 (114)
5/19/2005 6:28:14 PM
it would definitely involve 3rd party support to do the synchronization,
etc...
> is this something that is part of windows or is this a thrid party
> application. I know you can do netapps but I wasn't sure if it would work
> with exchange
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > you can also do stretch clustering, which is geographically spanned
cluster
> > nodes in different locations...but it is quite expensive and the
replication
> > can be problematic...
> >
> > "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I was wondering I have a client thats wants to have a disaster
recovery
> > site
> > > where if site A goes down site B will be able to handle his mail
needs. My
> > > real question is can exchange some how replicate the data store to a
2nd
> > site
> > > so that site B will have all of the same data in case of a disaster? I
> > know I
> > > can do clustering but that would be in the same physical location not
in
> > > seperate location if I am not mistaken. Any ideas would be great

0
sconkey (3059)
5/19/2005 6:45:57 PM
thanks for the quick response. We have clients that want everything built in
for free of course. Got to love them

"Susan" wrote:

> it would definitely involve 3rd party support to do the synchronization,
> etc...
> "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > is this something that is part of windows or is this a thrid party
> > application. I know you can do netapps but I wasn't sure if it would work
> > with exchange
> >
> > "Susan" wrote:
> >
> > > you can also do stretch clustering, which is geographically spanned
> cluster
> > > nodes in different locations...but it is quite expensive and the
> replication
> > > can be problematic...
> > >
> > > "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> recovery
> > > site
> needs. My
> 2nd
> > > site
> > > know I
> in

0
Eddie1 (114)
5/19/2005 6:54:03 PM
this type of configuration for Exchange is not "free" by any means...
> thanks for the quick response. We have clients that want everything built
in
> for free of course. Got to love them
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > it would definitely involve 3rd party support to do the synchronization,
> > etc...
> > "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > is this something that is part of windows or is this a thrid party
> > > application. I know you can do netapps but I wasn't sure if it would
work
> > > with exchange

> > cluster
> > replication

> > recovery
> > needs. My
> > 2nd
> > in

0
sconkey (3059)

If you do not like scripting, you can try GAL Exporter or Fast User Manager & Reports from IMIBO - http://www.imibo.com > > "Ringholz, Blake" <bringholz@nospam.com> wrote in message > news:76AEFC2F-85A7-4666-8262-27FB0737D09A@microsoft.com... >> Hello All - >> >> I need to get an Excel Spreadsheet that lists everyone first name, last >> name, email address, job title, etc pulled from Active Directory. Is >> there an easy way to do this? >> >> Thanks, >> Blake > > > > > ...

Macro help #12
Hi, I am working on a macro in Excel 2003 Pro, and everytime I go to sort a column of data. There are about 10 rows of data in about 200+ columns. I can only get the macro to sort the column that I edited it with. How can I create the macro, so each time I click on the first row of each column, click the macro button I will assign to the toolbar, then that row will be sorted, and do this for each column? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, Jeff Garrett (user_jeff@hotmail.com) Hi Jeff please post your current code and then we can suggest changes to it. Cheers JulieD "...

Exchange Active Sync #4
I have a user with a Sprint PalmOne Treo 650. Sprint advertises that this is supported by Exchange 2003 Server Active Sync. Microsoft has documented that Active Sync is included with Exchange 2003 at no additional cost. I have not been able to find documentation on how to install and configure Exchange 2003 Active Sync to support a Sprint PalmOne Treo 650. Can anyone point me to Microsoft or Sprint/PalmOne documentation on how to setup Exchange 2003 Active Sync to support a Treo 650? I work with the American Red Cross, a non-profit organization. I appreciate your help and support. On ...

How do I prevent "Help" from opening when I open Excel?
Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. How do I pevent this? I only want Excel to open with a new sheet. -- Lee P Lee Help or TaskPane. For Help, you should be able to close it using the "x" and next time open Excel should not display. If TaskPane, go to Tools>Options>View and uncheck "Startup Task Pane" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:29 -0800, "Lee P" <LeeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. >How do I pevent this? I only want Exce...

InPlace ugrade from Exchange 2000 to 2003 recovery question
Hi, Will shortly be doing an inplace upgrade from Exchange 2000 enterprise edition to Exchange 2003 Enterprise edition. After we do all the steps ie. Forestprep/domainprep etc then do the actual upgrade if the upgrade fails how do we roll back. We use Brightstor Arcserve version 11 which is supported by Exchange 2000 and we backup doing the Full method not bricks level. I have documentation on how to restore Exchange using this but this just restores the database to my knowledge (never had to do it) with exchange 2000 so how do I roll back a failed upgrade. We have to do an inplace...

exchange 2003
I just set up a mail server at things are working fine in the network where it resides. The issue is that I have 5 other buildings that are connected via a VPN, and they can not connect. Do I need to change settings at their locations? DNS?? WINNS??? It depends on type of client, but generally proper DNS setup is required. Also make sure that no firewalls interfere. laker18 wrote: > I just set up a mail server at things are working fine in > the network where it resides. The issue is that I have 5 > other buildings that are connected via a VPN, and they > can not co...

Exchange 2003 SP1 Install Error
When I try to install E2003 SP1 I get the error: EventType exchangesetuperror, P1 6_5_7226_0, P2 update, P3 microsoft exchange messaging and collaboration services, P4 install, P5 e0070101, P6 _null_, P7 1, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NI The log says it cannot find a file but I can't tell which file it's looking for. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks ...

Date Range Formula Question
Hello, I'm having trouble with a formula and I'm hoping someone can help. :confused: Sample Data Includes the following: Pay Period Start Pay Period End Pay Period # 12/16/01 12/29/01 26 12/30/01 01/12/02 25 01/13/01 01/26/02 24 01/27/02 02/09/02 23 02/10/02 02/23/02 22 The pay periods continue until there are 26 pay periods for the entire year....

Clarification please on exchange 2003 with DPM Server 2010
I would like to protect an exchange 2003 setup remotely. In the event of a problem such as accidently deleted mail etc. the way to restore the database files would is to use a recovery storage group? Now does this need to be restored back over the internet to the Exchange server or can the databases be restored onto a disk taken out to the server and then loaded into the recovery storage group? I am not sure what you mean "Now does this need to be restored back over the internet to the Exchange server" but yes to restore the exchange databases you can restore the files ...

Exchange server recovery advice needed
Folks We have been hit by a relatively big disk crash and I have to rebuild our exchange 2003 (SP1) server Fortunately I have a fully working backup but I still need to "replay" some LOG files as we only do weekly "full" snapshot. So to cut a long story short I have recovered and restarted the server as it was one week ago and everything seems fine EXCEPT for the messages (and other items) created since last backup. I DO have the log file for those days... but how do I "replay" them ? What is my best course of action ? At the moment I plan to create a separat...

HELP!!! 08-30-03
please elp me. my mom is a medical transcriber and she has a dictionary she uses through windows 98. and her comp has no memory, so we need to update her operating system inoder to put more memory on there. she needs her dictionary and i was wandering how to access it and if possible how to save it on to a cd. thank you for ur time Dear jason you have to have a dictornary corect i have one i could email you if you like just email me back i mean i use this dictornary really well and it works for 95-Xp so if you want give me a hollar ok peace out danny "jason" <jasonr_206@hotm...

Exchange ActiveSync
Hello All, I am having a problem with Exchange ActiveSync. It has been working for about 4 months now, and nothing has really changed. I was able to sync it to my IPaq via a VPN into the network with no problems. Well, today it started with an Internet Error_2 when trying to sync. I get a n event log error saying that there is a problem in the web.config file on line 72, which happens to be the lines that Microsoft has you add via KB#823265. I have searched and searched. Anyone have any ideas?? ...

help with installation isue
Hope this is correct NG When I try to run `Karens replicator` (for external backup) My PC automatically runs an installation for publisher 2003 and then gives error message........... Istallation error require file SKU019.CAB then asks for original CD to be inserted. Publisher still works ok I can`t see what the relationship between the 2 are, how do I stop this trying to install? thanks -- Rent a villa in Turkey http://www.freewebs.com/turkeyrent/ I would suggest aksing the folks over at karenware.com. http://www.karenware.com/powertools/troubl...

HR Help menu
The Help menu is not available in the Employee file screen. Also there is not at this time any french version help menu available with HR. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/de...

Question Re: Migration of Exchange to New Server.
I'm in the process of replacing an aging Exchange server with a brand new server. Once complete the old server will be taken off line and recycled. I figure the easiest way to do this is bring the new server up as a second Exchange server within the domain and then move the mail boxes from the old server to the new server but I have a couple of questions. 1) How do I move the public folders? I'm assuming I can setup Replication between the two servers and that will migrate the public folder data. 2) What happens when the current server goes off line? Other then having to upd...

Remote Exchange server?
Scenario.... I have a client in a real problem area. The power is so bad that it's guaranteed to be off most weekends in summer time! Battery backup and power backup is NOT where i want to go here, so please dont suggest I concentrate on this...because it just won't happen! I would like to setup a remote exchange 03 server for this client in a data center. So when the power goes down, the clients can all connect by outlook web access without any interruptions. Clents from the troubled office would also have to connect to the remote exchange server during normal office hours. Is ...

One Exchange server wont send mail to certain domains
Hi, Just wondering if I can pick someones brains. We have 2 Exchange servers, 1 2000 (Ex2000 Sp3, Win2k SP4, Global Catalogue, member), and 1 2003 server (Ex2003 Sp2, Win2k3 SP2, master). Since putting in the 2003 server, users on the 2000 server get some "mail server rejected connection" failures when sending to 1 or 2 domains, most other domains accept mail ok. Users on the 2003 box can send fine. We've checked our MX records which are in place on the firewall, and we can also telnet to these domains and complete the telnet test. 2003 > outside world (u...

Barcodes Code
I am trying to print a barcode in the 128 code. Though it seems the public domain/GPL ones of the truetype do not print a scanable barcode. Is there any suggestions... Or if anyone can point me into the right direction on how to do this or point me in direction of one that will work with access or excel 2000 or 2003. Much appreciated. Or help me figure out WHY it isnt producing a readable one in 128.. Hi Lester, Perhaps the problem is with the resolution on your printer. Try printing the barcode larger. Perhaps even turn off print to fit under print, page setup. --- HTH, David McRi...

Help please #8
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C6D1D3.B9AB1720 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm having this error message. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeAL Event Category: Service Control=20 Event ID: 8231 Date: 9/6/2006 Time: 4:39:10 PM User: N/A Computer: MAIL Description: Permanent failure reported by policy group provider for 'CN=3DSystem = Policies,CN=3DDOMAIN,CN=3DMicrosoft = Exchange,CN=3DServices,CN=3DConfiguration,DC=3DDOMAIN,DC=3Dcom':'MAD.EXE'= ,...

Exchange 5.5 ... Aarrgghhh...
Hello, I know that E 5.5 had some issues with detecting forwarded mail versus replied to mail. My question is that if I leave the "Disable auto replies.." checkbox blank, should auto forwards be okay as well? There's nothing inherently keeping auto forwards from getting out is there? Thanks, Dan On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:33:02 -0700, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > I know that E 5.5 had some issues with detecting forwarded mail versus >replied to mail. My question is that if I leave the "Disable auto replies.." >checkbox ...

Re:Help with verifying the signature of enveloped -message using x509 certificates.
Re:Help with verifying the signature of enveloped -message using x509 certificates. Hey Friends, I have an xml given by our partner trying to integrating with us and i have their certificate with public key installed in both personal and trusted people folders. when i am using the following code to check the signature of message signed by my certificate i am able to verify the signature but when i am trying to check the signature of the message of our partner using the same following code i am not able to verify the message. the message sent by our partner is right below the code.I wou...

Exchange priv.edb
I compact my Data Base eseutil /d but it has the same size what happen? How much space was free? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195914 On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:47:41 -0700, "Octavio" <ojgm@hotmail.com> wrote: >I compact my Data Base eseutil /d but it has the same size >what happen? Octavio, The file size of the database may or may not be reduced by running an offline defragmenation (eseutil /d). A size reduction will be purely dependent upon how much free space is available in the database. You you can figure out how much free space is in ...

Help needed please
I am running Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2002 as the client connection. On a couple of machine it has not been possible to send mails. When mails are sent to this machine from the Internet, they are received but those sent from the internal exchange do not get delivered. When the user connect through Outlook Web Access, the mails are sitting there. I have tried to reinstall Outlook a number of times but all I get when I click Send/Receive mail from the exchange server is this error message: "The operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try ag...

sharepoint and exchange on same drive?
Hi, In the middle of doing a swing from sbs 2003 r2 to sbs 2008, and I must say that the swing migration is an awesome way to go! My quick question, is there a problem with putting exchange and sharepoint data on the same drive? I have a ton of storage space in this new server, two 1 tb drives (raid mirroring , there is actually 4 physical drives) and partitioned as follows: drive 1 = c: 100GB and d: 831 GB drive 2 = e: full 1 tb C drive obviously has the OS and plenty of room to breathe, exchange on D and maybe sharepoint on there as well, and user data on E There won&...

Out of Office not active Entourage 2008 exchange 2007