Exchange delegation using group doesn't work?

Hi,

I am running Exch 2k3 SP1 in Windows SBS 2003. I tried to delegate Exch to
user. What I did:
I created a group called: Junior Admins
I delegate at the Exchange top level the Junior Admins group to be Exch Full
Admin.
I assigned user: Sam to Junior Admins

I use AdminPak.msi for Sam to control Exchange from her PC. Sam can get ESE
on her PC (mmc), but can't open the server folder due the rights. I've also
assigned Sam in the local administrator of that workstation.

Things work if I assign Sam directly in the Delegation Control from ESE. How
can I delegate control via group?

Also what's the significant difference between Exhcange Admin and Exchange
full admin?

Thank you and have a Merry Christmas.

In news:D4347EF1-21D6-4BBF-9478-C38A010020DE@microsoft.com,
Lito Kusnadi <LitoKusnadi@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Exch 2k3 SP1 in Windows SBS 2003. I tried to delegate
> Exch to user. What I did:
> I created a group called: Junior Admins
> I delegate at the Exchange top level the Junior Admins group to be
> Exch Full Admin.
> I assigned user: Sam to Junior Admins
>
> I use AdminPak.msi for Sam to control Exchange from her PC. Sam can
> get ESE on her PC (mmc), but can't open the server folder due the
> rights. I've also assigned Sam in the local administrator of that
> workstation.
>
> Things work if I assign Sam directly in the Delegation Control from
> ESE. How can I delegate control via group?
>
> Also what's the significant difference between Exhcange Admin and
> Exchange full admin?
>
> Thank you and have a Merry Christmas.

Are you in native mode for both Exchange & AD? I think you need to be, to do
much with groups....

Also, are you sure you want this user to have so much admin access to
Exchange? Full Exchange admin is a lot. What is it you want him/her to do?

0
lanwench (7567)
12/18/2005 5:28:33 PM
Hi Lanwench,

Thank you for your reply. Mine is in Native mode.
I think you are right. I need to assign Exch admin only (not full admin).
But for testing purpose, I assign Exch full admin to test if things work
(i.e. the user has the permission to view everything in ESE).
But if this doesn't work, making the group as Exch admin will complicate the
troubleshooting (at least to me).

The group concept is very confusing to be honest.

Regards,
Lito

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:D4347EF1-21D6-4BBF-9478-C38A010020DE@microsoft.com,
> Lito Kusnadi <LitoKusnadi@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running Exch 2k3 SP1 in Windows SBS 2003. I tried to delegate
> > Exch to user. What I did:
> > I created a group called: Junior Admins
> > I delegate at the Exchange top level the Junior Admins group to be
> > Exch Full Admin.
> > I assigned user: Sam to Junior Admins
> >
> > I use AdminPak.msi for Sam to control Exchange from her PC. Sam can
> > get ESE on her PC (mmc), but can't open the server folder due the
> > rights. I've also assigned Sam in the local administrator of that
> > workstation.
> >
> > Things work if I assign Sam directly in the Delegation Control from
> > ESE. How can I delegate control via group?
> >
> > Also what's the significant difference between Exhcange Admin and
> > Exchange full admin?
> >
> > Thank you and have a Merry Christmas.
>
> Are you in native mode for both Exchange & AD? I think you need to be, to do
> much with groups....
>
> Also, are you sure you want this user to have so much admin access to
> Exchange? Full Exchange admin is a lot. What is it you want him/her to do?

Using Publisher for long reports
Hi. I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very important. I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since Word's management of pictures and layout drives me wild. Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice? Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me? -- Giles It sounds like Publisher would be perfect for you since you indication that the layout is important. I can't help with a sample tho because (1) the longest I've done is about 24 pages and (2) my newsletters contain personal contact information and...

How can I use my calendar and other features wo using Outlook emai
I have Windows7 OS. I upgraded to MSO 2007. I cannot access the calendar, etc. without setting up an email profile which my ISP will not allow using the email address. How can I use my calendar and other features without using Outlook email? I could use the calendar on previous versions without setting up an email account. Why can't you use Outlook w/o a mail profile? What happens when you try? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft....

Removing Exchange User Attributes and the ADC
We merged an ADMTv2 created user account with an ADC created Contact, rather that the ADC created Disabled User. We would now like to get rid of the user account's association with the Contact info and merge the user account w/the ADC Disabled user; however, when we try to do that - using the ADClean util. - ADClean tells us we cannot as the user account is already mail enabled. Removing the existing Exchange Attributes on the users account suggests its self, however, when we go to do that all sorts of warnings come up (I'm somewhat familiar with the issues but need more insi...

how to check if a user exists in a particular OU/Group from java?
Using Java's LDAP protocol, how to check if a user exists in a particular OU/Group ? I have one approach in which, get the distinguishedName for this user and then remove the first CN part (username). This will be left with OU part. Now check if this OU matches with the given OU. But does not sound like a perfect solution to me. Any other better approaches? Regards, Shivaraj Shivaraj, I would suggest posting to AD Newsgroup as this is related to AD not Exchange. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2010 Microsoft Certified Partner "shivaraj" ...

Can I delete OE and just use Microsoft Outlook 2002
I would like to delete Outlook Express is this advisable? I am going to be using Microsoft Outlook 2002 which I recieved w/Toshiba PDA and already have it set up on the same PC as OE. Can I use Microsoft Outlook for multiple e- mail accounts? Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257824 With Outlook, you can integrate and manage e-mail from multiple e-mail accounts, personal and group calendars, contacts, and tasks. "Delia Marlowe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:780901c4025...

Multiple Routing Groups
Up to this point we have used a single routing group for our enterprise. It now appears to make more sense to create multiple routing groups, so outbound can route through local gateways, and not traverse the country needlessly. While I am researching this, are there any gotcha's or other experiences or things to be aware of when switching to multiple routing groups? tia "Tom Felts" <tfelts@mckennalong.com> wrote: >Up to this point we have used a single routing group for our enterprise. It >now appears to make more sense to create multiple routing gro...

REstoring a mail sotre to a newly installed exchange 2003
Hi, I have a windows SBS 2003 server installed with a couple of mailboxes on it. I backed up the mail store then decided to reinstall the OS. The reason to do this was to partition the disk differently. So I installed the OS from scratch, and now I need to restore my mail store backup done using ntbackup. Should I recreate the old users on my SBS2003 system or should I just restore the mail store on top of the exisiting mailstore created by the fresh installtion of the OS. I didn't backup anything else but the mailstore. The newly installed server uses the same domain name as the ol...

Exchange Administrator #2
Hey, I just installed Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 server. But when i open up Exchange Adminstrator, I keep on getting this error message, how do i fix this problem? Error: Title: Microsoft Exchange Administrator Message: A Connection could not be made to the microsoft exchange server computer 'EXCH'. The Microsoft exchange server computer does not respond. Microsoft Exchange Directory ID no: DS_E_Communications_Problem You use Exchange System Manager, and ADUC - not Exchange Administrator, to manage E2000/2003. Did you have a 5.x server before? erbeh wrote: > Hey, >...

address book group problem
I created a new group then (I thought) added entries using the boxes at the bottom of the small window one at a time. Now if I open my address book and click on the group, it only shows one entry. If I double click on it a new window opens with all eight ehtries which I put in. Does anybody recognise what I have done wrong? How can I get all the eight entries into the group? I need to be sure of what I am doing as if I lose the email details of these entries it will not be easy to get them again. TIA Pete It might be easier to start over, but I'll leave that up to you....

Symantec Mail Security for Exchange
Does anyone know if Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 5.0 will work on the Standard Edition of Exchange 2000 sp3? It says Enterprise Edition in the sys requirements but no where does it say the word STANDARD. If anyone can help before I purchase this software that would be great. Thanks, Chad WEBIT Services On 3 Nov 2006 13:50:18 -0800, "crdvds" <crdvds@gmail.com> wrote: >Does anyone know if Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 5.0 will work >on the Standard Edition of Exchange 2000 sp3? > >It says Enterprise Edition in the sys requirements but no where does ...

Exchange 2003 SBS Attachment filtering in admin
Folks: I have set up SBS 2003 / Exchange on our server some time ago. I have been trying to find the location to add an additional attachment to the exclude list on incoming mail. (Attachment filtering). I have looked for some time and cannot find the UI to do this in the system manager. Could someone point this location out to me? Thanks d "D S" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:uPeCkbUrGHA.4992@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Folks: > > I have set up SBS 2003 / Exchange on our server some time ago. I have > been trying to find the location to a...

My Exchange server will not make new mailboxes
I had one e-mail server on this domain it was giving us trouble so I installed a new server on the domain and made it an exchange server. I moved all the mailboxes that where in use to the new e-mail server. I wait two weeks and shut down the old server, but now when I create a new user in active directory and tell it to create a mailbox it looks as if it creates one. When I look in the properties of the user and go to the e-mail address tab it is blank. When I right click on the users name and go to exchange task it gives me the option to move the mailbox to the old server which is ...

How do I open doc's from Publisher 2000 when I am using Pub 2003?
I recently purchased Publisher 2003 and can't seem to edit any document from a previous version. Are you running Norton AV? Try disabling NAV Script Blocking ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Start NAV Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options, then click NortonAntiVirus. The Norton AntiVirus Options dialog box appears. Click Script Blocking. Uncheck Enable Script Blocking (recommended). Click OK. Restart the computer if prompted to do so. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "GAR" <GAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01222D01-7A00-4...

Referencing .NET 2.0 but end result uses .NET 3.5
I'm using DevStudio 2005 and I have a project that references System.dll ver 2.0.50727 and I accidentally compiled code that used an overload that only exists in version 3.5 because my intellisense showed it. I tried to compile it on another machine that never had the .NET 3.5 install and it wouldn't compile and the intellisense had that version of the overload yet both references looked identical; looking at ver 2.0 of System.dll The method in question was WaitHandle.WaitOne. ..NET 2.0 WaitOne() WaitOne(Int32, Boolean) WaitOne(TimeSpan, Boolean) ..NET 3.5 WaitOne...

Best Work at Home Jobs Online
Are you looking for online jobs for college students? Or are you simply looking for the best work at home jobs online so that you don't have to work that boring 9 to five job any more? Well if you are you a college student who doesn't have time for a full time job but needs some extra cash and you're looking for online jobs from home or you're someone who simply needs a different line of work, then you've come to the right article! Today a lot of people are looking for online work and are getting into what is known as affiliate marketing. Why? Because it has a l...

Using a drop down box to select all results
I have a summary page which pulls data together from several sheets an displays summary statistics etc. I want to be able to use a drop down list to select particular product and only show data relating to those products - so far so good. But ..... having put in my drop down and referenced it in my formulae now cannot show the summary data for ALL products. Is there a wildcard that can be used in drop downs to select all -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could add (All) to your list of products, and check for that selection in the formula. For example: =IF(A2=...

group of numbers
How can I make a bunch of numbers being recognized as a group? I've got the following numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. I want them to be considered as a group. How can I achieve it? Thank you for your attention --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You can name the range of cells that contain the numbers. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html If that's not what you're trying to do, perhaps you could give a bit more detail. PeaceMaker < wrote: > How can I make a bunch of numbers being recognized as a group? > > I&...

Expand/Contract grouped columns in protected sheet
I�m trying to protect a sheet that has a pivottable with grouped columns. The problem is , after protecting the sheet , I can�t expand/contract the table. I get an error saying that I can�t use that command because it�s a protected sheet. Is there anyway around this? I.E. How can I protect a sheet, and still expand/contract a pivottable? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

using interop to create document word 2007
I am using c# and word interop to open a mailmerge document fill it in and then display it to the user. Once i display it the c# app has nothing more to do with the word document. The user can edit it as needed and then save it as a pdf and that is fine. The issue is I would like to set the default path for the document and it could be a network drive or sharepoint and will change every time also it will never be where the original document was opened. ...

Exchange 5.5 internal site problem
Hi, I am using exch 5.5 with 2 srvrs in a single sit , with a mail content scanner enigine on a diff srvr , when i forward mail fm content scanner to first srvr , the mail flow works properly , but when i forward it to second srvr ( which was buileded later) , the recipients on 1 st server dont get internet mails . Can anyone HElp. ...

MX question on Exchange 2003
When I try to send mail to any user in the domain graphics.ucsd.edu the mail can not be delivered because there first MX record that points to 132.239.95.98 doesn't have port 25 open for mail. So my server tries only that server for tree days then it gives up. First of all, why doesn't my server try any other server with lover priority? And what is the reason to stop port 25 on their first MX server? I have an Exchange 2003 server with sp1 running on a windows 2003 server RO wrote: > When I try to send mail to any user in the domain graphics.ucsd.edu > the mail can not b...

Exchange 2003 Mail between servers stops after a few days
Hi all, I have an odd situation where mail destined for a different administrative group in the same domain stops after a few days; a restart of the server where mails are queing clears the problem. The destination admin group is attached via a connector (smtp), and it's this connector that goes into a retry state under fault conditions. A bridgehead at either end is used, although looking at message tracking suggests the bridge-heads are not being used. Local mail delivery is unaffected, only mail to the remote admin group is affected. There are firewalls involved: the sites are...

Can I use Free Excel Viewer 97/2000 in Windows XP?
Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda The Viewer for Office 97/2000 works fine under Windows XP. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:11:01 -0700, "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with >Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, >that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda An...

using excel from dotnet
situation: I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop Also need to write extracted data to excel. problem: At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12. (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.) I need to work at both locations. can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not) can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but not the latest) interface? i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and just copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not cop...

Exchange 2003 migration #4
Hi, Can you please advise me few steps or provide some links to my problem. (I am inexperienced in dealing with exchange :)). I am running MS Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003. I need to move the Exchange to different server (windows 2003 std in the same domain, I have also bought new Exchange 2003 for it) and then get rid of the source server at all. What is the best approach to perform this migration? Thank you very much in advance, Greg The move mailbox wizard will allow you to move mailboxes between servers. The best approach is to bring the new box up in the same Exchange org a...