Exchange database size priv1.edb increasing fast

Dear Sirs,

Few days ago we start new server (2 processors HT, RAID1, SCSI) with SBS2003
Premium. We noticed that size of Exchange database priv1.edb is big and
increasing constantly. During last 24hrs the size increased from 10Gb to 16Gb.
The checkbox "Enable circular logging" is set.

The Exchange database in prevoius server was 3Gb only, and work almost 1.5
year.

What is the cause of this situation? How to stop this process? Is it
possible to decrease size of Exchange database?

Regards Darek
0
DarekWen (2)

you have to first isolate what is causing the increase
go to the system manager and look at the size of the mailboxes to determine
who's mailbox is so big
if there would be empty space somewhere you first would look for event 1221
in your application log and it will tell you how much free space there is in
the store before you do an offline defrag

"Darek Wen" <DarekWen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Sirs,
>
> Few days ago we start new server (2 processors HT, RAID1, SCSI) with
> SBS2003
> Premium. We noticed that size of Exchange database priv1.edb is big and
> increasing constantly. During last 24hrs the size increased from 10Gb to
> 16Gb.
> The checkbox "Enable circular logging" is set.
>
> The Exchange database in prevoius server was 3Gb only, and work almost 1.5
> year.
>
> What is the cause of this situation? How to stop this process? Is it
> possible to decrease size of Exchange database?
>
> Regards Darek

0
seth7504 (38)
1/24/2006 2:42:10 PM
System manager shows that some mailboxes are empty, some achieved limits.
Event 1221 shows 6Mb free only.

Outlook2003 in properties of Mailbox folder -> folder size shows one tab
regarding size of local data only (theese users have no problem with exchange
and their mail box work O.K. and do not overload exchange server) or two
tabs: size of local and server data (those users have  problem with exchange
and overload exchange server).

What is the difference in set up among mentionsed outlook2003 ? How to setup
Outlook2003 to not store data at Exchange server too ?

> you have to first isolate what is causing the increase
> go to the system manager and look at the size of the mailboxes to determine
> who's mailbox is so big
> if there would be empty space somewhere you first would look for event 1221
> in your application log and it will tell you how much free space there is in
> the store before you do an offline defrag
>

> "Darek Wen" <DarekWen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Sirs,
> >
> > Few days ago we start new server (2 processors HT, RAID1, SCSI) with
> > SBS2003
> > Premium. We noticed that size of Exchange database priv1.edb is big and
> > increasing constantly. During last 24hrs the size increased from 10Gb to
> > 16Gb.
> > The checkbox "Enable circular logging" is set.
> >
> > The Exchange database in prevoius server was 3Gb only, and work almost 1.5
> > year.
> >
> > What is the cause of this situation? How to stop this process? Is it
> > possible to decrease size of Exchange database?
> >
> > Regards Darek

0
DarekWen (2)
1/25/2006 11:45:02 AM
the users that have the two tabs showing the size of the local and server
data mean that their outlook is configured for cached exchange mode

> System manager shows that some mailboxes are empty, some achieved limits.
> Event 1221 shows 6Mb free only.
>
> Outlook2003 in properties of Mailbox folder -> folder size shows one tab
> regarding size of local data only (theese users have no problem with
> exchange
> and their mail box work O.K. and do not overload exchange server) or two
> tabs: size of local and server data (those users have  problem with
> exchange
> and overload exchange server).
>
> What is the difference in set up among mentionsed outlook2003 ? How to
> setup
> Outlook2003 to not store data at Exchange server too ?
>
>> you have to first isolate what is causing the increase
>> go to the system manager and look at the size of the mailboxes to
>> determine
>> who's mailbox is so big
>> if there would be empty space somewhere you first would look for event
>> 1221
>> in your application log and it will tell you how much free space there is
>> in
>> the store before you do an offline defrag
>>

>> "Darek Wen" <DarekWen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear Sirs,
>> >
>> > Few days ago we start new server (2 processors HT, RAID1, SCSI) with
>> > SBS2003
>> > Premium. We noticed that size of Exchange database priv1.edb is big and
>> > increasing constantly. During last 24hrs the size increased from 10Gb
>> > 16Gb.
>> > The checkbox "Enable circular logging" is set.
>> >
>> > The Exchange database in prevoius server was 3Gb only, and work almost
>> > 1.5
>> > year.
>> >
>> > What is the cause of this situation? How to stop this process? Is it
>> > possible to decrease size of Exchange database?
>> >
>> > Regards Darek

0
seth7504 (38)

Size of Desktop
What is the size of the desktop minus any taskbars (eg a user taskbar at the right of the screen) ? Find out using the SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETWORKAREA,... ); API -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Ian Semmel" <isemmel@removejunkmailrocketcomp.com.au> wrote in message news:Oq3Lp6WjFHA.476@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > What is the size of the desktop minus any taskbars (eg a user taskbar at the > right of the screen) ? Perfecto ! CheckAbdoul wrote: > Find out using the SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETWORKAREA,... ); API ...

Exchange question
I currently have Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000. I am getting ready to setup a new box with Exchange 2003 Ent. on Windows Server 2003. Here are my questions: 1) Does my Exchange server have to be in Native mode before I can upgrade? 2) If I change it to Native mode, will I need to reboot my server? 3) Do I need to reboot the server after I run the Forest and Domain Prep? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kit It's been *a while* since I upgraded to Ex2003, but I believe the answers would be: No No No ------------------------ Chris Williams Sirana Software www.sir...

Recipient Filtering in Exchange 2003
I've read M$ article 823866 and I'm looking at enabling Recipient Filtering. Has anybody tested/enabled this feature in Exchange 2003? Are their any "gotchas" I need to look out for? Does this feature increase CPU load - I figure it might as the server must now query a GC *during the SMTP conversation* to verify that the recipient address is in the GAL. Are their any negatives with regard to this setting? Does it aid spammers, perhaps, with Directory Harvest Attacks? Just making sure to dot my i's and cross my t's before moving forward. Thanks for any responses...

Can Action Pack Subscribers exchange Professional Licenses for SBE
Hi, Action pack subscription offers 5 Licenses of CRM 3.0 Professional edition. SBS 2003 Premium is also offered as part of Action pack. Now if a customer has a small setup and would prefer a single box deployment of CRM on SBS 2003 Premium, can the Professional edition License be replaced or exchanged with SBE edition licenses? If so who can provide details as to media and Product/license keys for CRM. regards Sree Scree, It is likely that the action pack subscription entitles you to 5 x CRM 3.0 Small Business Edition licenses. Here is the UK link for the action pack contenst ( it ...

Exchange 5.5 MTA Event-ID 290 after site removal
Hi, hopefully someone can help me. We have Exchange 5.5 Org (most SP4) ā€“ 1 hub site and 5 spoke sites. In our hub site we have 1 connector server and one mailbox server. Due to Exchange server consolidation, I removed one site (KB324340) ā€“ same procedure as I did it three times before - Now Iā€™m getting every 4 hours on the bridgehead server in the hub site the following event-id, which points to the old and removed server/site: MTA Event-ID 290 ā€“ NDR,.. A non-delivery report (reason code unable-to-transfer and diagnostic code unrecognised-OR-name)) is being generated for message message. ...

Strange Exchange 2003 Pop Problem
If anyone may be able to shed some light on this strange happening I would really appreciate it. I have Exchange Server 2003 running, all of my users can check their email using Outlook/Popping just fine. They also can all go to OWA and check their email fine. I have one user that can use OWA to check her mail, it takes her password, lets her in but if she tries to use Outlook on her desktop it keeps popping up a password error. No matter which station I am at, I can not check email with this account other than using OWA with a web browser. Nothing was changed on the server, I have reset the...

Exchange Server Backup
When using the Windows Backup utility on my 03 Exchange Clustered server, there is no 'Microsoft Exchange Server' option to check under the Backup tab (like the docs show...only My Computer, My Documents, and My Network Places). Any ideas why? I see no documentation saying I need to do soemthing to make it appear. Thx Is Exchange System Manager installed on the machine that you are trying to run the backup from? -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

XML vs. SQL Database
I am developing a home project to be later released as an online application. I am currently using XML to store game data, user/member data, and other. Assuming a user base of 10,000 active users, is there a conflict if one user is updating information and another user is creating data on the same xml file? For example: User 1: update inventory that exists in the XML file User 2: new user adding their inventory data in the XML file Thanks for your help. Michael "Michael Jesse" <michaeljesse1973@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:tUVDd.13357$iC4.7938@newssvr30.news....

Exchange 5.5 in Windows 2000 Domain
HI I am looking for any advise I can get on this subject, or any references you may have. Basically I have an NT4 PDC that currently has Exchange 5.5 installed on it. I have a windows 2000 Database server that is just a member server of hte domain. My NT4 machine is running out of space, so I am getting a new server for exchange. I will install Windows 2000 on this server and then follow the Ed Crowley Server Move method, to move my exchange server over to this new machine. I am comfortable with this. I have just now installed an NT4 BDC into the domain (it is only a very old machine so it ...

where databases are to be stored in Access
i don't know where databases are to be stored in access, im excited about the search on access in order to be a professional user like others. cheers Microsoft Access uses a single file, with the ".mdb" extension, to store everything. -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor http://microsoftitacademy.com/ "darkus" <darkus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0933B08B-2051-4C0F-B0E7-D644C7E7B606@microsoft.com... > i don't know where ...

Duplicate emails on exchange server 5.5
Im using w2k server sp4, and exchange server 5.5 witn sp4 also Im suprised that some of the users are receiving duplicate emails local and internet and it is continously increasing and annoying to the user that they received the same kind of emails despite the fact that they read already. What seems to be the problem. Thank you very much in advance for your help. Manny >>receiving duplicate emails local and internet local and internet? Are they different messages? Is the user a member of a distribution list and are the messages sent to the DL and the user? Manny wrote: > Im...

I can't print Excel document on legal size paper even with correc.
I have checked my settings, but I cannot print my worksheet on 8 1/2X14 legal size paper. Can anyone give me suggestions on why this would be happening? I can print documents that are letter size with no problem. I am using Microsoft Office 2003 with Windows XP. Thanks Choose Page Setup from the File drop down menu. Click on the Page tab and change the "Letter" to "Legal" >-----Original Message----- >I have checked my settings, but I cannot print my worksheet on 8 1/2X14 legal >size paper. Can anyone give me suggestions on why this would be happening? I >...

Exchange Migration Issue
Hello All, I have multiple copies of email in my user email accounts after migration. I used Exchange Migration Tool to Migrate email accounts from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. Since we did not switch over to the new server right away , there were 2 days of emails still pending to be imported so I used the Migration tool again to migrate emails filtered based on date, but it seems that exchange migration has migrated all emails again, and now users have 2 to 3 copies of each email. Is there a way to remove the duplicate copies ? if so how can I go about doing that? Any pointer...

Exchange Disaster Recovery #4
We are using Exchange 2003 with Veritas 9.0. Individual mailbox backup was taking way too long so now I'm just backing up the malibox store. I am aware that if I want to restore (1) users mailbox I would have to restore the whole store...can I resstore to a different mailbox store on the same Exchange server for disaster recovery or do I need another Exchange server? If I can, what are the procedures for doing so? Kind Regards, Ali On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:31:38 -0400, "obgyn" <obgyn@comunities.nospam.com> wrote: >We are using Exchange 2003 with Veritas 9.0. Ind...

Contact categories & Exchange 2003: do they work together?
In my Small Business Server environment, I want Exchange to manage the Master category list for Outlook. I have been unable to locate an appropriate setting for this. Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, My contacts are all located in a public folder. "Paul van Egmond" <paul@oenone.nl> wrote: >In my Small Business Server environment, I want Exchange >to manage the Master category list for Outlook. I have >been unable to locate an appropriate setting for this. >Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, My contacts are >all located in a public folder. ...

Restoring a single mailbox into Exchange 2000 SP3 environment.
I perform nightly ntbackups of our entire information store. In the past I would restore the entire information store to a test clone Exchange environment server and then open the mailbox required using Outlook and export the mailbox to a pst, and then import that pst into the exiting production mailbox using outlook again. As you all probably know with a 23gig information store this is horribly time consuming, and it drives me nuts. Can someone provide me an alternative solution to this? On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:57:54 -0400, "frank s" <SFDSFDSF@SFSDFDSFSA.COM> wrote: ...

ADMT
We are migrating our current Windows 2000 Active Directory domain into a brand new (and appropriately named) domain using the Active Directory Migration Tool 2.0. We have a single domain and a single Exchange 2000 server. We are not upgrading Active Directory or Exchange in this migration. All users, groups and computers will be migrated to this new domain, including the Exchange server. Should the migration tool be able to successfully migrate everything without having to build another Exchange server in the target domain first? I have successfully tested migrating users, groups and mach...

How to disable the "implicit mx record" in Exchange
I am having a problem with exchange sending to hosts in recipient domains where these hosts are not actually mail servers. After a lot of review of the SMTP logs, I realized that sometimes Exchange is sending to the correct MX record host, and sometimes it is sending to the host with the A record for the actual domain. When I say the record for the domain, I mean an A record that refences the bare domain name rather than an individual host in the domain. So when Exchange gets a DNS timeout looking up an MX record, it falls back to sending to the domain A record. This causes an immed...

Can't See New Public Folders on Just Added Backend Exchange Server
I recently added a new exchange server to an existing site,admin group, routing group. I am running in native mode. Now when I create new public folders on the new server, my clients are not seeing it (all client mailboxes are on the first server). It has been several hours now and they are still not visible. Any ideas? Thanks, tke042 ...

Copy Exchange Mail Store
I would like to copy a mailbox store to a test server. What is the best way to go about this? Copy the priv.edb and priv.stm from your MDBDATA Folder of your Exchange Server. You will have to stop your Exchange Information Store service to do this. You will also have to remount the database and and reconnect user mailboxes on the test server. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "ssills" <ssills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0CB5304-47EF-40D1-95A0-4CCD0CD01A67@microsoft.com... >I would like to copy a ma...

Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2000 Server
I have upgraded from Office XP to Office 2003 and all appeared to go well but now Outlook will not connect to the Exchange server. Reports error in conf for RPC. OWA stills works fine. Also when I try to add Exchange Server it reports that the server is not online, but it is. I have review everything on MS site but have found nothing that deals with this issue. do you have these keys? [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols] "ncacn_np"="rpcrt4.dll" "ncacn_ip_tcp"="rpcrt4.dll" "ncadg_ip_udp"="rpcrt4.dll" "...

Phantom Exchange Account
I just got setting up Exchange 2003 Stand for a client, had everything working good and was getting ready to leave. The designated Admin then decides to try to edit the Global address List and deletes the Exchange User account I created to install Exchange from AD. Now I have a phanton "S-1-etc.." account in my security settings for Exchange. Ive tried running the delegation wizard but it errors out. Any suggestions? Authoritative restore of AD. Unless there were other accounts that were Delegated Exchange Full Admin rights, restoring AD may be the only way to correct th...

Exchange 5.5 standard hit 16gb limit!
Exchange server standard 5.5 hit 16gb limit. seems the admin account used for internet connector service has about 2 million messages in it. Theres only a gb or so left on the drive, I cannot delete that users mailbox. Im guessing because its a logged operation and theres not enough diskspace for the log. I dont have the mailbox cleanup wizard from sp3, what can be done? A defrag of course wont work since it needs 10% additional (still wouldnt cleanup those 2 million messages!). So.. it comes up and a few minutes later goes down again. How else can I get these messages removed with this...

Exchange 2003 Std. Address List permissions
As it turns out I have done something very bad. I was playing around with the permissions on the address lists. With the thought in mind to limit what users can see. I have 3 satilite offices that are coming online. And I want them all to see head office but not each other. Well I ended up adding a user group and applying a deny permission and now the user is the only one that can see it. The actual address list I am talking about are "All Contacts" and another one I just made as a test called "Non-Viewable" So basically now I cannot see it in the console. I have tr...