Exchange Database Offline Defrag

I have 55 GB Priv1.edb on a 67 GB disk.

Obviously, I can't do an offline defrag due to space limitations.

My question is, can I do the following?
    Dismount the Private Information Store
    Move the priv1.edb, priv1.stm, and the exchange eseutil to another box
with more diskspace.
    Then defrag priv1.edb on a box that doesn't have exchange on it with the
eseutil that I've copied over?

TIA-

Paul

0
okuma (14)

you can redirect the temp.edb to a networked drive...may take a little
longer, that's all...see this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182903/en-us

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Paul" <okuma@okumaware.com> wrote in message
>I have 55 GB Priv1.edb on a 67 GB disk.
>
> Obviously, I can't do an offline defrag due to space limitations.
>
> My question is, can I do the following?
>    Dismount the Private Information Store
>    Move the priv1.edb, priv1.stm, and the exchange eseutil to another box
> with more diskspace.
>    Then defrag priv1.edb on a box that doesn't have exchange on it with
> the eseutil that I've copied over?
>
> TIA-
>
> Paul

0
sconkey (3059)
10/12/2006 8:55:52 PM
Susan,

Thanks for the advice.

I had just found the /T option in the eseutil.

Take care,

Paul

"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> you can redirect the temp.edb to a networked drive...may take a little
> longer, that's all...see this:

> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Paul" <okuma@okumaware.com> wrote in message
>>I have 55 GB Priv1.edb on a 67 GB disk.
>>
>> Obviously, I can't do an offline defrag due to space limitations.
>>
>> My question is, can I do the following?
>>    Dismount the Private Information Store
>>    Move the priv1.edb, priv1.stm, and the exchange eseutil to another box
>> with more diskspace.
>>    Then defrag priv1.edb on a box that doesn't have exchange on it with
>> the eseutil that I've copied over?
>>
>> TIA-
>>
>> Paul

0
okuma (14)

Exchange license does not appear in Server license list
I have just recently migrated from exchange 2000 to 2003 except this time echange is not running on a DC. But on the DC under license there is not the drop down to add exchange license-exchange is running on a member server within my domain-how do I get the drop down to show exchange 2003 or just exchange? On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:13:28 -0800, Gordon <Gordon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have just recently migrated from exchange 2000 to 2003 except this time >echange is not running on a DC. But on the DC under license there is not the >drop down to add exchange lice...

Splitting a Database
Good Idea Or Bad? Thanks again Good idea. No question. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Gary." <gmhull@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:udNfRvD1HHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Good Idea Or Bad? > > Thanks again "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in news:ef5uu5D1HHA.1100@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl: > Good idea. No question. > What are some of the reasons why? "Gary." <gmhull@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:uSWgGLE1HHA.1484@TK2MSFTNGP06...

New Exchange server under the same OU
Hi every one I did Add new exchange server as a backend server so now I have 2 exchange servers OLD and New Exchange what I'm facing the user which has been moved to new exchange server can send mail OK But they can recieve only from poeple in new exchange server they can not recieve from poeple in Old exchange server nor from Internet my connector is was configured to route email from old exchnage I just added the new exchange to same connector any idea what I'm missing Thanks On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:30:01 -0700, "mailman" <mailman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Exchange log files multiplying
Hmmm, just looked at the .log files in the MBDData directory and it appears they are multiplying, today alone 64 5Mb log files have been created, and each time I create free disk space it immediately gets eaten up. I'm running CA's ETrust AV w/the Exchange version on my Exchange server, it's updated and I just ran it... Given that you are useing an exchange-aware back-up utility, the log files will be deleted after you perform a full back up.... "sjs" <sjs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11C11C43-5FCF-480C-A7B6-09E0F03AF481@microsoft.com.....

exchange event ids in security log
hello comunity. i´ve activatede auditing in our AD 2003 / exchange 2003 organisation to have changes made to the exchange configuration logged to the system log (security) of our DCs. now my question is if there is a list of specific exchange event ids. exactly i´m looking for a trace of when and from whom a mailbox was disconected/conected to a AD user. i´m refering to the right-click on a disconected mailbox in an exchange storage group, reconect, search user,.... also the event ids of creating a mailbox for a AD user would be very helpful. thanks in advance ramiro Thi...

Problems with conect external clients with Exchange by HTTP Over RPC
Hi, I want that the external users can connect by HTTP over RPC to may Exchange server but i don`t want to open the port. I try to configure the Outlook in 2 ways: The first:: I am in internet and i try to configure client but i can`t because cannot find the server. The second: i am in the LAN with conecction with the exchange and i configure the client. Then i put the cliente at internet and then i can connect to my Exchange Server. I don�t know how i can�t config my cliente if my first connection is not in the LAN. Someone Helps Me??? Thanks.. Fernando You might be doing som...

Exchange 2003 Standard
Hi all, Our Exchange 2003 Standard Edition server's Public Store has exceeded the 16GB limit and shut down. I'm familiar with the temporary extension to 17GB one can do for the Mailbox Store but haven't found a KB article regarding temporarily expanding the Public Folder store. Is this possible and if so how? Temporary solution found - the same registry entry mentioned in KB828070 except located in the public folder key does the 1GB increase. "MS Newsgroups" <msnews@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:erikqn9qEHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > ...

Offline Address Book not updating.
MY Offline Address Book has stopped updating. I have installed nothing new on this server, except Windows Updates. This server is not an AD server and only functions as an Exchange 2003 Enterprise server. When I go into the ESM, then go to Offline Address Lists, right click on my Offline Address Book, then select Rebuild, I get a message that pops up stating: "MAPI or an unspecified service provider ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000 ID no: c1050000 Exchange System Manager" On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:45:27 -0800, "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >MY Off...

OWA on Exchange 5.5 #2
We are having trouble keeping our Web Access connection open. I am continually having to re-boot our Exchange server to reestablish the connection. The problem varies between getting "the page cannot be displayed" right off the bat to getting the initial yellow log in screen then never getting past it. Do you know what causes this and what I can do to stabalize this connection? thanks Mairlyn Errors in event logs? SP4 applied? Hotfixes? any services stopping? On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:45:07 -0700, "Marilyn" <Marilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We...

Recover public folders data from dead Exchange 5.5
Our MS Exch server has completely failed due to hardware issues. We moved our users to a new mail server Kerio, Fully MAPI capable. We would like to recover the data from the users mailboxes, calendar, contacts and such. We also want to reclaim to stuff in our public folders. Is there a way if we put the drives in another box, boot off a new OS and pull out the data we need? It sounds simple to me, but with MS I'm sure it's more involved. Are there any tools for this kind of task? Thanks in advanced. I'm cheating and copy-n-pasting this from a post I made the other day. ...

Exchange 5.5 #37
What are the major routines/challenegs administering Exchange 5.5 with XP clients? what exactly do you mean? I still have one Exchange 5.5 server in my environment with XP users accessing it with no issues whatsoever, although we did see a couple of instances described in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255843 "jhkadmin" <jhkadmin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F488C91-37D3-4BFE-9A1F-098D85939151@microsoft.com... > What are the major routines/challenegs administering Exchange 5.5 with XP > clients? I cant th...

Unknown error during restore of database
I get a "unknown error" during database restore from within GP 10. I am using sql express and the database and the program are on the same machine. Both sql and gp is on e: drive. I have no issues backing up the databases. I am logged remotely to the computer via "gotomy pc" type program. (it is not a terminal server session) According to MS KB the recovery mode for the database should be simple - which it is. Any suggestions? Thanks You may receive this error if the database being restored exceeds 4GB in size. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Max...

using exchange 5.5 for calender sharing only
We have a client who is running an old exchange 5.5 server on a WinNT4 sp6 PDC machine for the sole purpose of sharing their calendar. They have multiple pop accounts handled by outside ISP's and all of the clients (5) have their own pst files stored on the server. they are able to send emails with two of the three pop accounts but not their primary one - the one that has a connectoid on the Exchange server. they get a replay saying undeliverable. But the message itself is not returned. My question is since there is no need for the exchange server to process any mail do they need any speci...

Offline Address Book #10
Hi all, I am facing an issue in downloading the address book in MS Outlook by Clicking Send & Receive. It gives an error (0x8004010f). This error comes even when i specifically select "Download Address Book" under send & recive button. I tried the full download and still the error comes. If i move the user to another/second Exchange server, the address book downloads fine and it happens only for the users in the first exchange server. Pleased suggest... -- Thanks & Regards Sterling Hi, Do you have a replica of the offline address book on the first server? I ...

Hippa compliance with Exchange 2003
We are located in MA and we just got notified by our health insurance company, Tufts, that we need to start sending them encypted emails. One of our sister companies signed up for something called ZixMail that offers a plugin for Outlook (2003) that I guess will encrypt the emails to their clients or something for $100 per year per person that uses it. I know Exchange 2003 can encrypt email, however I don't know if this is something I can just turn on and say "encrypt emails to tufts.com" and I don't know if just setting up this rule means tufts.com can read t...

Hostname for Exchang 2003.
Hi, My DC is given a hostname exch2003.hq.mydomain.com for LAN (192.168.11.2/24). However the internet will see it as a exch2003.mydomain.com with a real routable IP (say 203.141.6.20). Currently I use static NAT to map the two IPs. I'm wondering is this is the right way of doing things? When mail sent out to the world, it will appear as exch2003.hq.mydomain.com. But this may be dropped by some gateways for not having FQDN, since hq.mydomain.com is not visible to the outside world. Regards, Norman Norman Zhang wrote: > Hi, > > My DC is given a hostname exch2003.hq.mydom...

Exchange Virtual Directory ? Exchange 2003
We have an org. called xyz.edu with sites abc.xyz.edu, def.xyz.edu ... The default recipient policy has a default SMTP address of xyz.edu so when we reboot our site servers the "\\backofficestorage\abc.xyz.edu\MBX" gets changed back to "\\backofficestorage\xyz.edu\MBX" Where we have several site abc.xyz.edu def.xyz.edu ... we would like to hard code the virtual directory setting so we don't have to remember to check these setting. there are other places that the default SMTP address is used even though we have the Default Recipient policy set to never run. ...

Exchange license Question
Hi all, I ordered an Exchange Svr 2003 English OLP NL from the website, when i try to grab the "Volume License Product Key" for installation, but its status is "Not Required". So what key do i use to perform the installation? or key is not required? however, i remember when i do my exchange 2000 server installation, key was required, it was written on the box. Cheers ...

Exchange 2003/AD/Anonymous Logon access
Looking at users in Active Directory on Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 2003 server. Under Mailbox Rights on the Exchange Advanced tab, the "ANONYMOUS LOGON" user has read rights. Should it? If I try to get rid of it, it says I can't because it's inherited, but I'm not sure where the PARENT to this tab even is. All the users are under the standard USERS folder in AD. Not sure if this is what MS intends or if I have mischief going on here. Thanks ...

If "Hide from exchange address list" is selected does this prevent you from resolving this contact when attempting to configure Outlook?
I had a user leave the our firm. Instead of disabling the account I removed the user form all distlists and hide the contact in the GAL. Today I needed to check something in the old mailbox. I tried adding this mailbox through Tools>email accounts>view or change existing email accounts... But I was not able to resolve the name. Is this because the name is hidden? If this is the case, what is the best way to continue to administer a mailbox once a user leaves. I do not want to disable the account yet. The boss still wants an "out of office auto-reply" for this user for th...

move exchange databases to a different drive(SAN)
Hi, I have exchange 2003 enterprise server here and would like to know if it just a question of changing the database locations on the database tab and will exchange move the database files for me or I need to move them myself? -- George On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:02:04 -0800, George <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have exchange 2003 enterprise server here and would like to know if it >just a question of changing the database locations on the database tab and >will exchange move the database files for me or I need to move them myself? It will do ...

Unhide database window
Hi, I hide database window window in the start up of the application,in Office 2003 i use the below code to unhide it: DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWindowUnhide I try to use the same code with Office 2007 but it does not work,can anybody help? (...) > I hide database window window in the start up of the application,in > Office 2003 i use the below code to unhide it: > DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWindowUnhide > > I try to use the same code with Office 2007 but it does not work,can > anybody > help? Try this instead: DoCmd.SelectObject acTable,"",True K.P. MVP, Pola...

remote exchange server
How can i do to connect my server e2k3 to a remote e2k3 in other administrative group in my first organization?! There is a standard method or there are more?! There is a good document who explain this?! thanks "MMC" <ryuken_26@yahoo.it> wrote: >How can i do to connect my server e2k3 to a remote e2k3 in other >administrative group in my first organization?! SMTP and MX (or A) records in DNS. Your "other" organization's no different to any other domain on the internet. >There is a standard method or there are more?! SMTP, or X.400. -- Rich Mathe...

Exchange Data Storage Question
I have an idea for my company on how to re-store our Exchange data to be more disk efficient (I/O wise) and would like your opinions. Right now Exchange 2000 is running on a PowerEdge 1750 (on Server 2000). The physical box has (and can only hold internally) 3 hard drives, and they’re running Raid 5. I’ve read reports that Exchange has been set up on PowerEdge 1750's but the exchange database and logs are stored on a NAS, and I think they use a PowerVault in the example I read. We have a Dell PowerVault 220S that is attached to a *different* server (not to our Exchange server)....

Converting a protected database
Dear NG. I have to convert a secured database from Access 97 to the Access 2000 format. I connected to the Access 97 MDW file and converted the database. Unfortunately, no workgroup user can change his password and the permission of the workgroup admins seem to have gone (when using Access 2003). Is there a way to convert an Access 97 MDW file to Access 2003 (or 2000), such that it can be used for a proper conversion of the database? I don't want to recreate all users and groups using the correct PIDs, because I don't know them all (the one that created them did not document...) What i...