Exchange database corrupted we want to play on the log files

Hello,

Our exchange 2000 server corrutped recently, we managed to recovered some
data by using eseutil.

Since the IS backup was half month ago, we tried to restore it from the
system full backup. we use ntbackup to backup the full system. the problem
we found was that the backup file (.bkf) also corrupt, now if we can restore
some log files from the backup, can we play on the log to get some emails
back?

Regards

George

0
georgeh (2)

If you're running on a database that's more recent than the backed-up one,
then no.  However, you might be able to build a recovery server, copy the
log files to it, and restore the database and replay the logs.  Then you
might be able to use Exmerge to merge the recovered messages back into
users' mailboxes.  I say "might" because a lot of things have to be right
for this to work.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"George He" <georgeh@adstream.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Our exchange 2000 server corrutped recently, we managed to recovered some
> data by using eseutil.
>
> Since the IS backup was half month ago, we tried to restore it from the
> system full backup. we use ntbackup to backup the full system. the problem
> we found was that the backup file (.bkf) also corrupt, now if we can
> restore some log files from the backup, can we play on the log to get some
> emails back?
>

> Regards
>
> George

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/23/2005 4:54:03 PM
Thanks, I'll give a go.

Regards

George

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
> If you're running on a database that's more recent than the backed-up one,
> then no.  However, you might be able to build a recovery server, copy the
> log files to it, and restore the database and replay the logs.  Then you
> might be able to use Exmerge to merge the recovered messages back into
> users' mailboxes.  I say "might" because a lot of things have to be right
> for this to work.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "George He" <georgeh@adstream.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Our exchange 2000 server corrutped recently, we managed to recovered some
>> data by using eseutil.
>>
>> Since the IS backup was half month ago, we tried to restore it from the
>> system full backup. we use ntbackup to backup the full system. the
>> problem we found was that the backup file (.bkf) also corrupt, now if we
>> can restore some log files from the backup, can we play on the log to get
>> some emails back?
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> George

0
georgeh (2)

Exchange 2000 Database Name
I'm trying to run a repair on my Exchange 2000 database (eseutil.exe). It is asking for the database name. How do I know what is the database name? Pull up properties on it in ESM - click the database tab. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "Sam" <sam_nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uNh9Joq...

Excel files won;t open
New issue with my laptop that suddenly appeared out of nowhere (no changes have been made to my laptop). When I am in explore and I open a file (double click) Excel opens but the file does not. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Try this Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. (unregserver is not always needed) 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"...

Exchange information Store Corruption
I have an information store (priv1.edb) that seems to corrupt weekly. I am running SBS 2003 sp1, exchange 2003 sp2, running on a dell 1500 sc, Perc3sc raid controller in a raid 5 configuration (5 drives, 2 x36gig 10000rpm, 3 x 36gig 15000rpm). I am at a loss as to explain why this is happening, the priv1.edb file is slightly over 1 gig in size, i am on occasion able to repair using eseutil, but then other times it is not repairable. I have worked with microsoft on one occasion and the end result was to recreate a new store and start over. We did so (at great inconveniance), worked f...

Get .ico file from HICON
Hi, How can I get a .ico file from an HICON ? Yoav. I think you can't. Because there is no file paht date in HICON. "Yoavo" <yoav@cimatron.co.il> д����Ϣ����:OMQhZojvIHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > How can I get a .ico file from an HICON ? > > Yoav. > Can I create a new .ico file from a given HICON ? "fiveight" <fiveight@tom.com> wrote in message news:%23qPIG6jvIHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I think you can't. Because there is no file paht date in HICON. > > "Yoavo" <yoav@cimatron.co.il> >...

How can I get notified whenever a certain excel file is updated (.
I need to receive a notification whenever one certain excel file is updated (by anyone) on our local area network. What are my options to automate this? Hi Ann Maybe you can use this http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/change.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "AnnL@work" <AnnL@work@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8B27CA8-5448-4E66-BB88-7A6B4F415C88@microsoft.com... >I need to receive a notification whenever one certain excel file is updated > (by anyone) on our local area network. What are my options to automate this? ...

Synchronisation hangs during save of synchronisation log.
We're using Exchange Server 2000 with an Outlook 2002 client. When we synchronise the offline folders outlook hangs after it tries to save the synchronisation log (at 50%). Can somebody help please? Thanks in advance! ...

Recover from databases only
Here's the bad news, running SBS 2K3 and the hard drive with boot partition died. The original SBS partition was E: drive. Good news is that the Exchange databases were stored on a separate physical drive (F: drive). Log files died with the drive, but server had been shutdown normally. I rebuilt server from scratch using same machine and domain name but the SBS installed to C: drive. Only have a few users in AD and a few Exchange mailboxes. Added users back into AD. How do I restore the Exchange information store from the old .EDB and ..STM files? Can I delete the log files, copy m...

Exchange 2003 Public Folder Limit
Hi, I have a folder in our public folders that I use to post documents. It will not allow me to post more than 100 documents in this folder. I have 120 documents that I am trying to insert into the message but it always fails at document 101 with the message " the operation failed". All combined documents are only 3 megabytes and my limit is 20 megabytes so it is not a "storage limit". I've tested it in several different ways, folders,types ect. and it always fails at document 101. Somewhere in there is a limit of 100 on how many attachments you ...

quick way to attach multiple files
Is there a way to quickly attach multiple files to an account? Like selecting all files in one directory or multiple select in a directory? -- Thanks, Brian No way - one at a time unfortunately unless you write your own solution ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft "Brian Hall" <BrianHall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09E2156E-4585-492B-A689-9A0D7553A951@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to quickly attach multiple files to an account? Like > selecting > all files in one dir...

Same database can not opened in the other computer.
Hello, I found it now that my church database can be run in my office computer, but when I run it in my laptop I can not oper it with the erorr message: The document filename.mdb caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would youlike to continue opening it?". Is this the work of Virus, I have McAffee antivirus in my laptop. Thanks for any help -- Frank Situmorang Hi Frank, Have you tried bringing a copy from the computer at your church to replace your existing copy at home? Perhaps your copy is corrupted. Note: It would be best to stick to the thr...

Office applications should allow me to remove recent files
When I click the office button in Microsoft Word, the recently opened files are shown. I would like to be able to remove documents from the list, for example by right-clicking on a file name and selecting "remove from this list," as is done for recently run programs in Windows Explorer. There are other people looking for this functionality, as shown by the many workarounds (e.g. editing the registry as documented at http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/13/how-to-clear-and-delete-recent-documents-list-in-office-2007-word-excel-powerpoint/ This applies to other Office ...

Outlook 2003, file extension
The file extensions have been stripped from my incoming mail attachments. Is there a fix? It is affection all mail sorces: ie. aol, earthlink, msn, jusno. etc. Hi TCF, maybe this could help, the outlook tuner FREEWARE http://home.arcor.de/andreas.roeder-privat/OL_Prog.htm#11 -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de "TCF" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c32e01c47a3b$0fa1d620$a301280a@phx.gbl... > The file extensions have been strippe...

Multiple Domains 1 Exchange 2003 server
This is a little odd and I am growing frustrated, perhaps someone here has a solution. I have one Exchange 2003 server with 2 domain names for emails. Setting this up was simple enough and people get emails to both domains. Here is the problem we are having. Joe has two email addresses, joe@abc.com and joe@xyz.com. joe@abc is the default. Now an outside person sends Joe an email @abc.com. It bounces back with the error: RCPT TO generated following response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for joe@abc.com However if this same person send an email to joe@xyz.com it works fine. Let me also point out ...

How to opening a new file in a new excel program
When I look at a excel file in excel and want to open another excel file, it starts up in the same excel program that I am running. I would like to start it in another excel program (so I can switch with Tab+Alt). Is this posible without starting Excel manualy (from the meny)? I am using Microsft Excel 2000. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Shift+Alt+Tab allows you to tab between all open programs, including all open XL files. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Per" <Per.yknia@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message new...

Exchange 2007: pop3 connector
What can I use best for downloading internet mail that is processed by my Exchange 2007? Thanks On 9 Dec 2006 16:52:38 -0800, "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote: >What can I use best for downloading internet mail that is processed by >my Exchange 2007? >Thanks Well, SMTP direct delivery is best and it's best to deliver it to an Edge Server but if you have no choice but to go with Pop3 then any of the existing connectors are fine, such as POPCON and POPBeamer, because they take the Pop3 and deliver it as SMTP to Exchange. Thank you for the advice. I use a pop c...

Importing data from a text file
I have to import raw data from a text file that Excel cannot break into columns, and the import is unsuccessful. would VBA be a better choice, having it specifically search for data? there are 3 specific types of files and all the files (of the same type) are formatted exactly the same. thanks in advance -- jbaranski ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jbaranski's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36862 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=566746 Why can't Excel break the ...

Backing up pst files on external drive
How can I store old emails on an external drive? close outlook, find the pst and copy it to the drive? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM ...

Exchange 2000 Journaling/Monitoring
I am doing some research an an e-mail archiving system and need to determine how much mail is coming/going on my server. I am aware of the Exchange Message Journaling capability, but I really don't need to capture everything at this time. I just need to know how much data there is. Any easy way to do this? Thanks! So you want to find out how many messages your server is processing, correct? There are several perfmon counters that should help you here. Unfortunately, you're going to find that native reporting capabilities here are virtually non-existant. Aside from revie...

Exchange Snap-in
Hi All, I was wondering if there was a way to enable the Exchange 2000 server snap-in for MMC on a Windows 2000 Professional workstation. If so, how would I go about doing this? Thanks Vu One of the prerequisites is the Microsoft Windows 2000 Adminpak, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261177 Also see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289835 As long as you meet the prerequisites you should be able install Exchange System Manager on a Windows 2000 Professional box. Paul Ford Edge IT Ltd "Nu2Exchange" <Nu2Exchange@discussions...

Moving Exchange accounts in 2000
I am currently trying to move a number of Exchange accounts, however some of those accounts believe they are on an Exchange 5.5 server that no longer exists. Using AD I cannot delete or move the exchange part of these accounts unless I delete the account entirely, which I don't wish to do, does anyone know of a way to cancel out the Exchange settings on those accounts? On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 06:15:03 -0700, "Fate_of_Tai-Eliel" <Fate_of_Tai-Eliel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am currently trying to move a number of Exchange accounts, however some of >those ...

Hyperlink Macro to 2,500 PDF files?
Fellow Forum Members, I have 2,500 PDF ebooks on a variety of subjects all contained in one folder named "Ebooks". I already have all the 2,500 ebook titles inside Excel in Column A, Sheet 1. Now I want to hyperlink each title to the actual PDF file and doing this hyperlink operation 2,500 times is something I want to avoid like the plague. Can anyone out there please help me in developing a macro that would do this hyperlink operation automatically 2,500 times? I'm not a macro expert, but is it not possible to make Excel automically go to the same Ebook folder 2,500 times a...

I want to update a status reason in an email activity using Workfl
Hi, In 4.0 I am doing a workflow that changes status reason in an email activity .. I want to update it on demand, ie I am going to open an email and run the Workflow to change the status reason. I created a workflow for email entity and enable only on demand, I then added the step for updating EMail. When I click Set Properties Email Form is blank. I then change the only Status Reason to the some value which is allowed in this variable. Do I need to care about other values on this Form. At present I change the value only for status reason. But this workflow does nothing when I run on...

Sent Items Not Syncing with Exchange
I have recently re-installed O2k3 on a laptop. My offline Sent items have not updated fully in the 4 weeks since I have installed it. At the moment it has only updated through December 10th of 2003. Every time I do a manual Send/Recieve it will take 4 or 5 more messages and then stop syncing... Is there any way I can get it to sync all the files? Oh, Exchange version 5.5 at the moment.... Are there any errors listed in the Sync folder? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slip...

Delete Field in Backend Database
Access 2007 user looking for code that will delete a field from a specified table on a backend database. AND/OR...change the Field Size on an existing field. Thanks! -- DT No user should have this ability. This is a recipe for disaster!!!! Anywho, To delete a field you'd do something along the line of Dim db As DAO.Database Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef Set db = CurrentDb set tdf = db.TableDefs ("YourTableName") tdf.Fields.Delete ("YourFieldName") or using SQL, something like Db.Execute "ALTER TABLE YourTableName " & _ ...

Additional info re: Word 2007 will not open files when you double click them
I should have mentioned... I am running XP 32 bit SP3 Neil ...