Exchange clusters

Hello Everyone,

I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers.  I am going
to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3.  Which cluster do I install it on
first?  The active cluster or the passive cluster?

Thank you,

Most appreciative,
0
Fabio (11)

Do you mean you're running one cluster with two nodes?

If you were to install on the active node, Exchange will shut down and the
passive node will become the active node.  So, it's clear that you should
install first on the passive node, fail over, then install on the passive
node (which was formerly the active node).
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Fabio" <Fabio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers.  I am
> going
> to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3.  Which cluster do I install it
> on
> first?  The active cluster or the passive cluster?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Most appreciative,

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/7/2006 8:31:41 PM
Here is the official process to patch an Exchange cluster. Scroll down
to the Cluster Server portion. If you have any questions after reading
please ask.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328839

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com
ftp://mail.msexchange911.net/

Fabio wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers.  I am going
> to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3.  Which cluster do I install it on
> first?  The active cluster or the passive cluster?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Most appreciative,

0
jamestechman (1266)
9/7/2006 8:35:41 PM
Yes,

I am am running one cluster with two nodes.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Do you mean you're running one cluster with two nodes?
>
> If you were to install on the active node, Exchange will shut down and the
> passive node will become the active node.  So, it's clear that you should
> install first on the passive node, fail over, then install on the passive
> node (which was formerly the active node).
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Fabio" <Fabio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers.  I am
> > going
> > to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3.  Which cluster do I install it
> > on
> > first?  The active cluster or the passive cluster?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Most appreciative,

0
Fabio (11)