Exchange clusters

Hello Everyone,

I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers.  I am going
to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3.  Which cluster do I install it on
first?  The active cluster or the passive cluster?

Thank you,

Most appreciative,
0
Fabio (11)

Do you mean you're running one cluster with two nodes?

If you were to install on the active node, Exchange will shut down and the
passive node will become the active node.  So, it's clear that you should
install first on the passive node, fail over, then install on the passive
node (which was formerly the active node).
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Fabio" <Fabio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers.  I am
> going
> to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3.  Which cluster do I install it
> on
> first?  The active cluster or the passive cluster?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Most appreciative,

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/7/2006 8:31:41 PM
Here is the official process to patch an Exchange cluster. Scroll down
to the Cluster Server portion. If you have any questions after reading
please ask.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328839

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com
ftp://mail.msexchange911.net/

Fabio wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers.  I am going
> to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3.  Which cluster do I install it on
> first?  The active cluster or the passive cluster?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Most appreciative,

0
jamestechman (1266)
9/7/2006 8:35:41 PM
Yes,

I am am running one cluster with two nodes.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Do you mean you're running one cluster with two nodes?
>
> If you were to install on the active node, Exchange will shut down and the
> passive node will become the active node.  So, it's clear that you should
> install first on the passive node, fail over, then install on the passive
> node (which was formerly the active node).
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Fabio" <Fabio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers.  I am
> > going
> > to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3.  Which cluster do I install it
> > on
> > first?  The active cluster or the passive cluster?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Most appreciative,

0
Fabio (11)

problem with multiple SMTP domains in Exchange Server 2003
Hi there I have added a second SMTP domain to the Email Addresses (Policy) as follows: Recipients > Recipient Policies > Default Policy > Email Addresses (Policy) > New ... > SMTP Address > @xyz.com > (checked) This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery > to this address > Apply. When I do so, I no longer receive external emails on the first SMTP domain (@abc.com). Is this related to relay settings, or perhaps something else? Best regards Loane ...

Exchange delegation using group doesn't work?
Hi, I am running Exch 2k3 SP1 in Windows SBS 2003. I tried to delegate Exch to user. What I did: I created a group called: Junior Admins I delegate at the Exchange top level the Junior Admins group to be Exch Full Admin. I assigned user: Sam to Junior Admins I use AdminPak.msi for Sam to control Exchange from her PC. Sam can get ESE on her PC (mmc), but can't open the server folder due the rights. I've also assigned Sam in the local administrator of that workstation. Things work if I assign Sam directly in the Delegation Control from ESE. How can I delegate control via group? ...

User can not acces from home the EXchange server
Currently we allow our users to access there email VIA the web using http:yayaya.com/exchange. however one of my user's is unable to log in this way. On-site using outlook he has no problem but when he try's entering his login name and password via the web he gets a message saying username and password are incorrect. For some reason it will not validate his information. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks ...

Exchange 2003 installed SP2 now IMF is not working.
I had Exchange 2003 SP1 and installed the IMF. I heard that SP2 has the IMF bulit-in. During the SP2 install it said I had to uninstalled the old IMF, which I did. I then installed Exchange 2003 SP2, I see the tabs in the "System Manager", Global Settings, "Message Delivery" But no IMF portion under the SMTP. I tried to reinstalled the IMF but still it doesn't show up under the SMTP protocals. What am I doing wrong? Within system manager, go to protocols|smtp and select Properties, the Advanced button and then the edit button. Then select the checkbox for en...

2003 recipient policy for exchange 5.5
Can a recipient policy created on 2003 to purge mail in the deleted items folder also be used for exchange 5.5 in the same site? John Stimpson On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:16:19 -0500, "John Stimpson" <johnstimpson@tupperware.com> wrote: >Can a recipient policy created on 2003 to purge mail in the deleted items >folder also be used for exchange 5.5 in the same site? > >John Stimpson > I would say not. There is the Mailbox Manager feature in 5.5. Are you able to use that or did you just want something with a single interface? ...

Help: message "Requesting data from Exchange Server"
Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange 2000. Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? "Kenny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up >message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we >try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange >2000. > >Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? Depends to a greater or lesser extent ...

Removing an exchange server member
I have a 2000 exch backend and a 2003 exch frontend setup. The front end hard disk just recently died. And so was not correctly un installed from AD. There are still elements of exchange hanging around. For instance, in the system manager. But the system manager wont let me delete the front end server under the first administrative group. Do i have to use adsiedit to remove this or is there a much simplier way. Cheers Paul To my best knowledge, it adsiedit. "Yakeni" <Yakeni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B352B981-F5B7-4527-8A48-04E3976C99D9@microsoft.c...

Question re:clustered column w/3D visual effect
I have Excel 2003 Why wont the 3D chart allow you to drag it more open? There is a large open area between the left side and the axis that looks jerky :) In a plain clustered column chart you can click inside to make the frame appear and drag it larger or smaller as you desire. In the 3D, clicking only allows you to change the angles of the 3D box. Am I missing something? thanks, Meenie This should be a hint to avoid the 3D effects. 3D charts are inflexible, but more important, the 3D effects mask the information in the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc....

Can not start MS exchange MTA stack Event ID120
Source : MSExchangeMTA categories: Configuration Event ID: 120 Unable to initailize due to missing or dammaged configuration files the ASN.1 template file 14 is either missing or corrupt. Reload a new copy from Installed CD. What does it mean? It mean my install cd rom is dammage ,right? Any one can tell me. thanks yim_cm@hotmail.com (Thana) wrote: >Source : MSExchangeMTA >categories: Configuration >Event ID: 120 > Unable to initailize due to missing or dammaged configuration files >the ASN.1 template file 14 is either missing or corrupt. Reload a new >copy from I...

Exchange GAL to Local COntacts Folder Export Script

Exchange 2000 problems
Since the HD failed I have been trying to put my domain backup. The PDC, W2k, had IIS and Exchange on it. I have reloaded W2k with SP's and installed Exchange 2000. None of my virtural stores Protocols are running and when I open the properties of each the "Start, Stop, Pause" choices are grayed out. The First Storage Group/Mailbox Store is also down. When I try to Mount it I get this error: "An internal processing error has occured. Try restarting the Exchange System Manager or the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service or both." ID c1041724 Help...I'm...

Exchange 2003 ADC problems
Hi, I have the following situation.... We have multiple Exchange 5.5 sites being migrated to one Exchange 2K3 organisation (called Localmail). The first server in the 2K3 org (which had the CA Config agreement) and also the connection agreement to the EX5.5 server (in Localmail) has died and there is no suitable backup for recovery. I need to remove the connections from this dead server. I cannot remove the CA Config agreement - there is no delete option for this connection. If I try to modify the Config CA connection to run on another Exchange 2003 box in the Localmail org I get the c103a...

offline defrag exchange 2k3
I need to perform an offline defrag. in order to do this I understand that I need at least the same amount available space available as the database. Does this mean the size or the priv.edb only? So if the priv.edb is 58G I need the same amount of free space available on that drive. If I do not have the available amount of space then how do you go about performing a defragmentation? Thanks, Mark See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/ESEUtil/a9f60c6f-b181-481f-a492-9bcd21c8e98a.mspx?mfr=true Note that there's generally no need to run offline defrags...

finding all addresses in an exchange system
Being relatively new to Exchange and Outlook, I'm looking for the best way to implement a situation where there is a generic email account that the outside world sends to that a number of people need to monitor. Right now what I have done is set up an email enabled Public Folder and simply give permissions to that folder to the appropriate people. I also hide that address so it doesn't display in the GAL, since there is no reason for internal folks to write to that address. However, one problem I see with this scenario is I can't find an effective way to look at all email addres...

Exchange SVC Pack 1
DO NOT INSTALL. It crashed my server and caused the stores to unload and crash frequently. Now Microsoft want to sell me a hotfix. It was working b4 the svc pack upgrade so everyone beware!! Er, no, that's not the case at all. Exchange 2003 SP1 works perfectly fine for a large number of customers. If you, as a Microsoft customer have had an issue with the SP that requires a service pack, identified by Microsoft, then you will not be required to pay for it. If you have a KB that says you are to call MS for the fix then you may be required to give details but you won't be char...

Exchange/POP3 snafu
We have recently upgraded some clients from Outlook 2000/2002 to 2003. We use Exchange server(2000) for intranet email and have an ISP that hosts our internet (POP3) email. I have configured both accounts (exchange and POP3) in Outlook 2003 but when I try to send an email to both exchange and POP3 recipients one will go and the other will be rejected. For example if the POP3 account is set as default the POP3 email will send but the exchange email will not. The error is: Diagnostic-code: smtp; 5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up (domainname).local (MX) T...

New Exchange Routing Group in child domain / site
I have just finished installing a child domain (leaf node) and installing a exchange server for that new domain. First problem I had was that when my email was coming in via the main domain it was sending some of the public folder emails over to the sub domain (witch I had not configured for public folders) So I placed each domain in its own routing group, created a routing connect (both ways) pointing at each other as well as SMTP Connectors with * and cost of 1 (all default settings in each location / routing group. These server will be split via a T1 and both will receive email (ma...

Exchange alias
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I there, <br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;My primary email is on an exchange server. I also manage a mailing list. I am receiving list responses on my primary account. However, I want my replies to be from my list account name. If I set up a list account and use my primary as a send I set up the recieve everything is fine except I get 2 of each of my primary emails. If I leave the receive blank the send fails. Any ideas ? ...

Missing Exchange Server in Console
? I have an exchange site with 2 servers. 1 server has all the services shut down The 2nd server is up, working, and people recieve mail just fine. The 2nd server does not show up in the list of servers to be managed. What can I do to fix this? Thanks -Tom On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:51:44 -0400, "edev" <edev@siscom.net> wrote: >? > >I have an exchange site with 2 servers. >1 server has all the services shut down >The 2nd server is up, working, and people recieve mail just fine. > >The 2nd server does not show up in the list of servers to be managed. &g...

Exchange 5.5+Firewall+OWA on server that it is on the DMZ
Hi I have Exchange 5.5 server in my lan. On the DMZ I have mail relay. I have firewall that. How can I install OWA on the server that in the DMZ and Whitch ports should I open in the Firewall? Than'x S ugh. Dont install OWA in the DMZ. On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:42:59 +0200, "Shay Hanya" <shay@telecode.co.il> wrote: >Hi > >I have Exchange 5.5 server in my lan. >On the DMZ I have mail relay. >I have firewall that. > >How can I install OWA on the server that in the DMZ and Whitch ports should >I open in the Firewall? > >Than'x >S &...

Exchange restore issue
Hi, We have an Exchange 2003 server that was previously being backed up via brick level with Arc Serve. Now it is being backed up with Veritas 10D. It was no longer being brick leveled just the IS. I have a user that deleted some recent folders out of her inbox and wanted them restored. I went through the process defined by veritas to complete the IS restore to the RSG. The restore shows complete but failed but there is a RSG MDBDATA directory with the priv.edb and stm files. I tired the run the eseutil /cc on the restore.env and that failed. Any idea's on how I can restore ...

Exchange 5.5 System Free/Busy objects left in Exchange 2003 since Migration.
Hi I hope somebody can help with this. I migrated our old Exchange 5.5 Org to Exchange 2003 last year and followed all the MS KB's about doing this. Since then we have switched to Native Mode 2003 and working fine. However we found that our AD infrastructure wasn't at its best and are currently deploying a new Domain. Now this is where the fun starts. While creating a new Exchange 2003 Org in the new Domain, we are replicating the Public/System Folders from the old Org and we have been getting some errors. On investigation we have found that there are redundant Free/Busy Schedule+ obj...

Exchange Clustering
We have a 4 node cluster (3 active, 1 passive) for Exchange setup in our datacenter. We are looking at deploying a disaster recovery site. Would it be possible to configure a single node cluster in the DR site so we do not need 3 additional servers? Thanks, John Yes (I've done it). Not a bad way since the Cluster is responsible for the virtual Exchange server name (no corresponding Computer object in AD). -- Nick Cavalancia MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI nickc@remove-comsphere.com Comsphere - "Where Knowledge Transfer is Key" Web: http://www.comsphere.com Ph: 954.275.0114 Fax: 954.79...

Exchange 2003 Licensing question
We are a small company of only about 35 employees. We currently have Exch 5.5 and will be upgrading to Exch 2003. Unfortunately due to our large email store we will be force to get the Enterprise edition because we are just over the standard edition's 15 gb message store limit. I was under the impression that an Office 2003 Pro license includes a CAL for accessing Exchange 2003. What I am being told by a sales rep is that Office Pro does not include a CAL to access Exch 2003 therefore I have to buy a CAL for each user. Is this correct? The ironic thing is this. If I buy a CAL ...

Exchange 5.5 Tracing Spoofed Email
I am administrating an Exchange 5.5 server with about 100 mailboxes. For financial reasons we are not able to upgrade. 5.5 works well most of the time, but lately we've run into a problem with SPAM. It appears that some PC on our network is sending spam. The outbound email appears in the queue. It goes to seemingly random addresses (not any that would be in anyone's Outlook contact list) and the sender is blank. Relaying is turned off (per the MS Knowlege Base article) and I have gone through the steps to verify it. My guess is that the worm is on our local network and th...