Exchange backup isn't working

Exchange 2003 running on win 2003 standard.

About a week ago a defrag was done on the database and the backups were
working.  Suddenly we started to recieve errors that backups were failing.
The errors in Event viewer are NtBackup ID 8001 and 8019.

The backup report log says the following:

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 8/31/2005 at 7:57 AM.
The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
function call (d).

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d).

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
The operation was ended.
Backup completed on 8/31/2005 at 8:03 AM.
Directories: 0
Files: 1
Time:  5 minutes and  34 seconds

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

I am leaning towards that I have a database corruption problem being that
independent backups of the public folder store works while the mailbox store
does not.
I have not done anything that will take the system offline as of this date.

Any advise or insight would be helpful.

Dave
0
DavidW (9)

If I were you, I'd call PSS.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"David_W" <DavidW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Exchange 2003 running on win 2003 standard.
>
> About a week ago a defrag was done on the database and the backups were
> working.  Suddenly we started to recieve errors that backups were failing.
> The errors in Event viewer are NtBackup ID 8001 and 8019.
>
> The backup report log says the following:
>
> Backup Type: Normal
>
> Backup started on 8/31/2005 at 7:57 AM.
> The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
> function call (d).
>
> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
> Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d).
>
> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
> The operation was ended.
> Backup completed on 8/31/2005 at 8:03 AM.
> Directories: 0
> Files: 1
> Time:  5 minutes and  34 seconds
>
> ----------------------
>
> The operation did not successfully complete.
>
> I am leaning towards that I have a database corruption problem being that
> independent backups of the public folder store works while the mailbox
> store
> does not.
> I have not done anything that will take the system offline as of this
> date.
>
> Any advise or insight would be helpful.
>
> Dave

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/31/2005 6:31:03 PM
Ed,

Explain this one.

I attempted the backup again but this time it worked.  I did nothing to the
databases or the system, I simply went back and ran the backup again and this
time it actually worked.

Weird

"David_W" wrote:

> Exchange 2003 running on win 2003 standard.
>
> About a week ago a defrag was done on the database and the backups were
> working.  Suddenly we started to recieve errors that backups were failing.
> The errors in Event viewer are NtBackup ID 8001 and 8019.
>
> The backup report log says the following:
>
> Backup Type: Normal
>
> Backup started on 8/31/2005 at 7:57 AM.
> The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
> function call (d).
>
> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
> Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d).
>
> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
> The operation was ended.
> Backup completed on 8/31/2005 at 8:03 AM.
> Directories: 0
> Files: 1
> Time:  5 minutes and  34 seconds
>
> ----------------------
>
> The operation did not successfully complete.
>
> I am leaning towards that I have a database corruption problem being that
> independent backups of the public folder store works while the mailbox store
> does not.
> I have not done anything that will take the system offline as of this date.
>
> Any advise or insight would be helpful.
>
> Dave
0
DavidW (9)
8/31/2005 6:47:20 PM
Sunspots.
--

> Ed,
>
> Explain this one.
>
> I attempted the backup again but this time it worked.  I did nothing to
> the
> databases or the system, I simply went back and ran the backup again and
> this
> time it actually worked.
>
> Weird
>
> "David_W" wrote:
>
>> Exchange 2003 running on win 2003 standard.
>>
>> About a week ago a defrag was done on the database and the backups were
>> working.  Suddenly we started to recieve errors that backups were
>> failing.
>> The errors in Event viewer are NtBackup ID 8001 and 8019.
>>
>> The backup report log says the following:
>>
>> Backup Type: Normal
>>
>> Backup started on 8/31/2005 at 7:57 AM.
>> The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
>> function call (d).
>>
>> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
>> Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call
>> (d).
>>
>> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
>> The operation was ended.
>> Backup completed on 8/31/2005 at 8:03 AM.
>> Directories: 0
>> Files: 1
>> Time:  5 minutes and  34 seconds
>>
>> ----------------------
>>
>> The operation did not successfully complete.
>>
>> I am leaning towards that I have a database corruption problem being that
>> independent backups of the public folder store works while the mailbox
>> store
>> does not.
>> I have not done anything that will take the system offline as of this
>> date.
>>
>> Any advise or insight would be helpful.
>>
>> Dave

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/31/2005 7:11:51 PM
Are your backups scheduled or manual? Was the one that worked manual or a
manually triggered run of a scheduled job? I've seen (never understood)
scheduled jobs run just fine if an admin was logged on at the console and
ran the job manually, but fail if it tried to run when no one was logged on.
I suspect it had something to do with trying to send the output to a mapped
network drive. I use UNC names now and all my scheduled backup jobs work
fine....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"David_W" <DavidW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ed,
>
> Explain this one.
>
> I attempted the backup again but this time it worked.  I did nothing to
> the
> databases or the system, I simply went back and ran the backup again and
> this
> time it actually worked.
>
> Weird
>
> "David_W" wrote:
>
>> Exchange 2003 running on win 2003 standard.
>>
>> About a week ago a defrag was done on the database and the backups were
>> working.  Suddenly we started to recieve errors that backups were
>> failing.
>> The errors in Event viewer are NtBackup ID 8001 and 8019.
>>
>> The backup report log says the following:
>>
>> Backup Type: Normal
>>
>> Backup started on 8/31/2005 at 7:57 AM.
>> The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
>> function call (d).
>>
>> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
>> Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call
>> (d).
>>
>> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
>> The operation was ended.
>> Backup completed on 8/31/2005 at 8:03 AM.
>> Directories: 0
>> Files: 1
>> Time:  5 minutes and  34 seconds
>>
>> ----------------------
>>
>> The operation did not successfully complete.
>>
>> I am leaning towards that I have a database corruption problem being that
>> independent backups of the public folder store works while the mailbox
>> store
>> does not.
>> I have not done anything that will take the system offline as of this
>> date.
>>
>> Any advise or insight would be helpful.
>>
>> Dave

0
rasilon1 (689)
9/1/2005 9:47:18 AM
Usually they are scheduled, though once I discovered they were not working I
attempted numerous manual backups which were failiing.

I don't backup to to mapped network drives I already use the UNC path.

I am beginning to think that a process of some type was hanging that was
causing the backups to fail because so far they are working again.

Dave

"Hank Arnold" wrote:

> Are your backups scheduled or manual? Was the one that worked manual or a
> manually triggered run of a scheduled job? I've seen (never understood)
> scheduled jobs run just fine if an admin was logged on at the console and
> ran the job manually, but fail if it tried to run when no one was logged on.
> I suspect it had something to do with trying to send the output to a mapped
> network drive. I use UNC names now and all my scheduled backup jobs work
> fine....
>
> --
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
>
> "David_W" <DavidW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ed,
> >
> > Explain this one.
> >
> > I attempted the backup again but this time it worked.  I did nothing to
> > the
> > databases or the system, I simply went back and ran the backup again and
> > this
> > time it actually worked.
> >
> > Weird
> >
> > "David_W" wrote:
> >
> >> Exchange 2003 running on win 2003 standard.
> >>
> >> About a week ago a defrag was done on the database and the backups were
> >> working.  Suddenly we started to recieve errors that backups were
> >> failing.
> >> The errors in Event viewer are NtBackup ID 8001 and 8019.
> >>
> >> The backup report log says the following:
> >>
> >> Backup Type: Normal
> >>
> >> Backup started on 8/31/2005 at 7:57 AM.
> >> The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
> >> function call (d).
> >>
> >> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
> >> Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call
> >> (d).
> >>
> >> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
> >> The operation was ended.
> >> Backup completed on 8/31/2005 at 8:03 AM.
> >> Directories: 0
> >> Files: 1
> >> Time:  5 minutes and  34 seconds
> >>
> >> ----------------------
> >>
> >> The operation did not successfully complete.
> >>
> >> I am leaning towards that I have a database corruption problem being that
> >> independent backups of the public folder store works while the mailbox
> >> store
> >> does not.
> >> I have not done anything that will take the system offline as of this
> >> date.
> >>
> >> Any advise or insight would be helpful.
> >>
> >> Dave

0
DavidW (9)
9/1/2005 12:02:02 PM
I've seen it where NTBACKUP will hang, holding open files, and the next
day's job will fail because of that.
--

> Usually they are scheduled, though once I discovered they were not working
> attempted numerous manual backups which were failiing.
>
> I don't backup to to mapped network drives I already use the UNC path.
>
> I am beginning to think that a process of some type was hanging that was
> causing the backups to fail because so far they are working again.
>
> Dave
>
> "Hank Arnold" wrote:
>
>> Are your backups scheduled or manual? Was the one that worked manual or a
>> manually triggered run of a scheduled job? I've seen (never understood)
>> scheduled jobs run just fine if an admin was logged on at the console and
>> ran the job manually, but fail if it tried to run when no one was logged
>> on.
>> I suspect it had something to do with trying to send the output to a
>> mapped
>> network drive. I use UNC names now and all my scheduled backup jobs work
>> fine....
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Hank Arnold
>>
>> "David_W" <DavidW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ed,
>> >
>> > Explain this one.
>> >
>> > I attempted the backup again but this time it worked.  I did nothing to
>> > the
>> > databases or the system, I simply went back and ran the backup again
>> > and
>> > this
>> > time it actually worked.
>> >
>> > Weird

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Exchange 2000 DST Changes

Restoring Exchange 2000 cluster to "standard" Exchange 2000 Enterp
Hi all, At the moment we are creating a "full" test environment built from backup tapes from our live environment. DC's are all up and running. Our 2000 native forest exists out of a top domain and 2 child domains. All DC's are running 2000 SP3 as well as the Exchange servers. Exchange servers are located in the child domains. In one of the child domains which is NL.top.net we have an Exchange cluster, 2 nodes active/active eg. These would be EX01 and EX02 and running EX04 and EX05. Since we unfortunately do not have a SAN in our test site I will not be able to do a DR...

Ctrl + ; stopped working
For the past week I've been able to enter the current date into a DB sub form field with formatted field using Ctrl = ; but now it's not working properly. Instead of entering the date, it moves the cursor to the center of the formatted field, and inserts nothing. I'm wondering what could have changed. I went directly to the sub form deleted the formatting, then redid it. But it's still not working even there in the sub form alone. My sincere thanks for any help you may offer. -- Norm Shimmel Butler, PA Strange that I should reply to my own message. But I was just surpr...

The Links from e-mails don't work
If I copy the links and insert it into IE 8 it reads it. Trying to link over from an e-mail directly is not working. If I copy the link and go to IE 8.0 the link (URL address) works. It was working before. pgman27 You mean if you click on the link in a message it does nothing, not even an error message? Are you certain IE has all its defaults? Open the Default Programs applet, which you can access either from the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item: "Set your default programs." After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Click on...

OL2003 (Exchange) and OE6 running in the same PC
We are currently upgrading our OS from W98SE to WinXP. Our VP is using Netscape v4.67 with dial-up to access his personal email from the ISP and Novell Groupwise for his internal corporate email. With the new WinXP, he will be authenticate to Active Directory and using Exchange 2003 (Outlook 2003) for corporate email. (Yep, no more Groupwise!!) I want to move him away from Netscape to OE6 (built-in with XP pro). During my test in the lab, for some reasons I can't have OE6 and OL2003 running at the same time. (I can launch either one but not both at the same time) He wants OE6 as his...

Exchange 2003 OWA #6
Exchange 2003 OWA I would appreciate if someone would be able to help me. When I'm trying to access Exchange 2003 Server via OWA, I'm getting error "The folder can't be displayed. You do not have permission to perform this action" We also running Microsoft ISA Server. Thanks ...

Exchange Connector Wizard error

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 upgrade issue 3

NNTP move to Exchange?
Hi, I'm having a problem with getting a NNTP feed from a INND 2.2.1 server to Exchange 2003; are there any known issues here? Has anyone done this type of migration before? What issues did you encounter? It seems as if Exchange just wants to pull down a few of the groups (of which we have over 100 internal) and even with that, not even pull all of the messages in from those few groups (it usually gets a few hundred messages). I'm using the basic NNTP wizards but everything looks to be configured correctly. Thanks, Dan ...

Slow backup of Hyper-V R2 cluster
We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is quite fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long time. It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with just 1-2 GB in change. So we are using about 13-15 hours to backup the 30 VM's we have today Forgot to say that we are using DPM2010 RTM evaluation "Emptyone" wrote: > We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is quite > fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long time. > It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with j...

How do I setup an SMTP gateway / smart host for Exchange 5.5 internet bound mail
My current setup has a Windows NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 server setting on our company LAN behind a Microsoft ISA Server. The Exchange server's Internet Mail Connector binds to (I assume this is the proper terms) port 25 on the ISA server for inbound and outbound Internet Mail. Our company has finally upgraded to a new Cisco Pix Firewall which we are able to setup a DMZ on. The suggestion by our ISP is to setup an SMTP gateway in the DMZ and have our internal Exchange server send mail to it destined for the Internet. I am aware that most of the work for making the connections from the SMTP ...

copy does not work in word 2003

Setting up my work outlook account at home
I do not know how to set-up my outlook at home to check and receive email at home. This is really a question for your Mail Administrator. This depends on what ISP is used for work or if you use the Exchange Server. Then there may be a domain access issue. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Liz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:049a01c39db2$d8df2cb0$a501280a@phx.gbl... I do not know how to set-up my outlook at home to check and receive email at home. ...

Excel worksheet with VBE codes don't work elsewhere
Hi, Some of my excel worksheets with embedded controls and VBA codes don' work when I open it on another PC. Is there another way to make i work? Thx -- lazybea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lazybear's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3519 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=54955 Specifically what problems are you having? Saying "don't work" means absolutely nothing. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC ww...

I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does not work. When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. How can I get it to work. Thanks. On Apr 4, 12:33=A0pm, Mint <chocolatemint77...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does > not work. > When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. > > How can I get it to work. > > Thanks. Is this Windows MCE SP2? What method did you use to add time update permission to your limited user account? Does your unlimited user accou...

Outlook won't conect to Exchange
Client: XP pro, Office 2003 Pro Server: Server 2003 I cannot get a client's Outlook to connect to Exchange server--or at least I THINK that's the issue. I have tried everything that I and the sys admin can think of. We've even uninstalled and re-installed the whole of Office. Out of desparation, I tried something that I thought would probably not have any impact, but it worked--temporarily. I deleted the use's mail profile, and the application opened and displayed all the users mail! I thought I was pretty close to being home free, so then I closed Outlook and re-opened...

Exchange Server C Drive No free space
Hi All, Need some advise. The Exchange Server during certain times C Drive will not have free space. I have check that during that period there is a temp file which will increase in size and takes up all the disk space in C. The file will not have any extension (the file name ex. T232C or R408). When this happened, the Exchange MTA service will stop, users will not able to send email. I have rum Spyware scan, Virus Scan, Online Virus scan, all seems to be cleaned). Anyone experience this before? Thanks in Advance for the help. -- Danny Chieng Technical Engineer On Wed, 26 Jul 2006...

Assistance with ESEUTIL ans ISINTEG on Exchange 5.5
Folks, I need to perform some maintenance on a exchange 5.5 server. My users are complaining about speed, etc... First, GOOD BACKUP! Second, Take down all MS Exchange services Third, I want to run "ISINTEG -s EXCHANGE -FIX" correct? This will hopefully fix ant integrity issues. I am told to run it over and over until it comes up clean.. Once the integrity check is clean... Fourth, I run these three: eseutil /d /ds eseutil /d /ispriv eseutil /d /ispub If all goes well... Finally, startup MS Exchange services.. This is my plan. Any suggesstions? Comments? 1) GOOD BA...

OpenEvent() doesnt work
Hi, I am having problem with OpenEvent(). I have 2 applications, in which, one is creating a named event with CreateEvent() call, and registers for call back functino for that event. The another application opens the named event, and signals it. It works fine when I execute the .exe directly from console. But, If i scheduled the .exe with Task scheduler, the task get triggered, but my OpenEvent() failed, and GetLastError() returns ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. I ensure there is no race condition between the calls CreateEvent() and OpenEvent(). Also, I scheduled the task with the same acc...

Required OS for Exchange 2007
I have installed Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise 32 bit x64. When I try to run Exchange 2007, I receive "the image file setup.exe is valid but is for a machine type other than the current machine". Any idea? On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 22:52:43 -0800, "Xeon" <Xeon@donotemailme.com> wrote: >I have installed Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise 32 bit x64. When I try to run >Exchange 2007, I receive "the image file setup.exe is valid but is for a >machine type other than the current machine". Any idea? > So you arent using the 64 bit version of Windows? No...

Forward email from Sendmail to Exchange
Hi all, Has anyone successfully used the LUSER_RELAY feature of Sendmail to forward any unknown users to an Exchange server? I have defined LUSER_RELAY as host.mydomain.com, but when an email gets forwarded the domain portion of the email is stripped off and replaced with the value of USER_RELAY. This causes the email to bounce since the email domain is @mydomain.com not host.mydomain.com. I have tried using the FEATURE(preserve_luser_host), but that did not fix the problem. Is there a way to set up an SMTP connector pointing to host.mydomain.com and have the email deliverd to a users mail...