Exchange Backup #11

Hi,

I noticed my exchange backup is same size for 3 consecutive backup. This is
very strange to me (for a production system). A backup done on Dec 19, 2005
is having size 11,163,325 KB. Another backup done on Jan 19, 2006 is having
size 11,163,325 KB. A backup done today Jan 24, 2006 is also having same
size.

I feel there is something is wrong. I ran windows backup with verification.
the statistics are
Directories:  4
files:  7

Verify Status
Directories:  4
files:  0
Difference:  0

Notice that the Directories and Bytes are the same, the files backed up is 7
but during verification it is 0.
Notice also that Windows backup reported 0 difference

Your help in this regard will be appreciated.

Thanks
--
TayoT
0

Have you tried a restore of one of these backups? It is fairly easy to do
using an RSG and that might identify if there is a problem with the backups.
You should test your backups periodically just as a matter of course.

Nue

"TayoT" <TayoT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I noticed my exchange backup is same size for 3 consecutive backup. This
> is
> very strange to me (for a production system). A backup done on Dec 19,
> 2005
> is having size 11,163,325 KB. Another backup done on Jan 19, 2006 is
> having
> size 11,163,325 KB. A backup done today Jan 24, 2006 is also having same
> size.
>
> I feel there is something is wrong. I ran windows backup with
> verification.
> the statistics are
> Directories:  4
> files:  7
>
> Verify Status
> Directories:  4
> files:  0
> Difference:  0
>
> Notice that the Directories and Bytes are the same, the files backed up is
> 7
> but during verification it is 0.
> Notice also that Windows backup reported 0 difference
>
> Your help in this regard will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> --
> TayoT

0
imaneophyte (3004)

Legato Backup
My Client is using legato tape for his oracle database backup. They are now interested in MS CRM 3.0 which uses SQL Server on backend. I want to know that can they use the same Legato Tape hardware/software for backup of MS CRM database(SQL Sever ). ? The easiest way to get any backup working is to create a database maintenance plan using the sql management studio and let this create the dialy (or however frequent you want) backups for you. This writes backups to files, you than can use any backup utility to backup these files. -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer Aviva IT W...

Exchange question
I currently have Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000. I am getting ready to setup a new box with Exchange 2003 Ent. on Windows Server 2003. Here are my questions: 1) Does my Exchange server have to be in Native mode before I can upgrade? 2) If I change it to Native mode, will I need to reboot my server? 3) Do I need to reboot the server after I run the Forest and Domain Prep? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kit It's been *a while* since I upgraded to Ex2003, but I believe the answers would be: No No No ------------------------ Chris Williams Sirana Software www.sir...

Recipient Filtering in Exchange 2003
I've read M$ article 823866 and I'm looking at enabling Recipient Filtering. Has anybody tested/enabled this feature in Exchange 2003? Are their any "gotchas" I need to look out for? Does this feature increase CPU load - I figure it might as the server must now query a GC *during the SMTP conversation* to verify that the recipient address is in the GAL. Are their any negatives with regard to this setting? Does it aid spammers, perhaps, with Directory Harvest Attacks? Just making sure to dot my i's and cross my t's before moving forward. Thanks for any responses...

Can Action Pack Subscribers exchange Professional Licenses for SBE
Hi, Action pack subscription offers 5 Licenses of CRM 3.0 Professional edition. SBS 2003 Premium is also offered as part of Action pack. Now if a customer has a small setup and would prefer a single box deployment of CRM on SBS 2003 Premium, can the Professional edition License be replaced or exchanged with SBE edition licenses? If so who can provide details as to media and Product/license keys for CRM. regards Sree Scree, It is likely that the action pack subscription entitles you to 5 x CRM 3.0 Small Business Edition licenses. Here is the UK link for the action pack contenst ( it ...

Exchange 5.5 MTA Event-ID 290 after site removal
Hi, hopefully someone can help me. We have Exchange 5.5 Org (most SP4) ā€“ 1 hub site and 5 spoke sites. In our hub site we have 1 connector server and one mailbox server. Due to Exchange server consolidation, I removed one site (KB324340) ā€“ same procedure as I did it three times before - Now Iā€™m getting every 4 hours on the bridgehead server in the hub site the following event-id, which points to the old and removed server/site: MTA Event-ID 290 ā€“ NDR,.. A non-delivery report (reason code unable-to-transfer and diagnostic code unrecognised-OR-name)) is being generated for message message. ...

Strange Exchange 2003 Pop Problem
If anyone may be able to shed some light on this strange happening I would really appreciate it. I have Exchange Server 2003 running, all of my users can check their email using Outlook/Popping just fine. They also can all go to OWA and check their email fine. I have one user that can use OWA to check her mail, it takes her password, lets her in but if she tries to use Outlook on her desktop it keeps popping up a password error. No matter which station I am at, I can not check email with this account other than using OWA with a web browser. Nothing was changed on the server, I have reset the...

Exchange Server Backup
When using the Windows Backup utility on my 03 Exchange Clustered server, there is no 'Microsoft Exchange Server' option to check under the Backup tab (like the docs show...only My Computer, My Documents, and My Network Places). Any ideas why? I see no documentation saying I need to do soemthing to make it appear. Thx Is Exchange System Manager installed on the machine that you are trying to run the backup from? -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

SQL backup corrupted or unreadable
I did a backup of a 36GB SQL database to a USB hard drive, which completed successfully. When I went to copy that backup to my archive server, at around 40% it errored aaying the file was unreadable or corrupted. Of course, I had already deleted the database since I needed room on my server and thought I had a good backup. I've tried everything I know, including trying to undelete the databse files from the server, which found nothing and running chkdsk on the USB drive. Of course, when I did that, it showed the file as having 0 KB! So am I hosed or what? is there anything e...

Exchange 5.5 in Windows 2000 Domain
HI I am looking for any advise I can get on this subject, or any references you may have. Basically I have an NT4 PDC that currently has Exchange 5.5 installed on it. I have a windows 2000 Database server that is just a member server of hte domain. My NT4 machine is running out of space, so I am getting a new server for exchange. I will install Windows 2000 on this server and then follow the Ed Crowley Server Move method, to move my exchange server over to this new machine. I am comfortable with this. I have just now installed an NT4 BDC into the domain (it is only a very old machine so it ...

Opening up backups
One more thing. I recently did a backup of my calendar, contacts etc. I'm trying to open up those archives and can't open them. The only think that happens is that I keep adding Archive Folders. Can you tell me how to open up a file I have called "archive.psd" Thanks. IS. IS <y@y.com> wrote: > I recently did a backup of my calendar, contacts etc. > I'm trying to open up those archives and can't open them. The only > think that happens is that I keep adding Archive Folders. Backup or archive? They're not the same thing. > Can you tell m...

SharePoint Farm Backup error
I have installed Sharepont 2007 in one box and SQL Server 2008 in separate box running through Windows Server 2008. I have shared a folder for farm backup, that shared folder is smothly accssible from both the boxes but during the backup using STSADM.exe I received the following errors in backup log file. Any body Please help me to solve this issue? Errors --------------------------------------------------------- [1/7/2010 1:21:13 PM]: Verbose: Using directory: \\bd-sharepoint01\SharePointBackup\spbr0001\. [1/7/2010 1:21:13 PM]: Verbose: The backup/restore process included th...

Duplicate emails on exchange server 5.5
Im using w2k server sp4, and exchange server 5.5 witn sp4 also Im suprised that some of the users are receiving duplicate emails local and internet and it is continously increasing and annoying to the user that they received the same kind of emails despite the fact that they read already. What seems to be the problem. Thank you very much in advance for your help. Manny >>receiving duplicate emails local and internet local and internet? Are they different messages? Is the user a member of a distribution list and are the messages sent to the DL and the user? Manny wrote: > Im...

Exchange Migration Issue
Hello All, I have multiple copies of email in my user email accounts after migration. I used Exchange Migration Tool to Migrate email accounts from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. Since we did not switch over to the new server right away , there were 2 days of emails still pending to be imported so I used the Migration tool again to migrate emails filtered based on date, but it seems that exchange migration has migrated all emails again, and now users have 2 to 3 copies of each email. Is there a way to remove the duplicate copies ? if so how can I go about doing that? Any pointer...

Exchange Disaster Recovery #4
We are using Exchange 2003 with Veritas 9.0. Individual mailbox backup was taking way too long so now I'm just backing up the malibox store. I am aware that if I want to restore (1) users mailbox I would have to restore the whole store...can I resstore to a different mailbox store on the same Exchange server for disaster recovery or do I need another Exchange server? If I can, what are the procedures for doing so? Kind Regards, Ali On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:31:38 -0400, "obgyn" <obgyn@comunities.nospam.com> wrote: >We are using Exchange 2003 with Veritas 9.0. Ind...

Combo Box 11-21-07
Hi I have a database where on the main form (it's a pop-up), there's a combo box that allows the user to select a person's name. That should bring up the record and display the data. However, for some reason, it's stopped working? The Name field at the top of the form now reads "#Name?" even though the field is specified as "Client"&FirstName& and I get an error message of "The expression After Update you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support the set of events" Can someone ...

Outlook backups
I use Outlook 2003 SP3 under XP Pro SP3 fully patched. Following a recent near-disaster I thought I would backup my Outlook to my second (D:\) disk. But despite me specifying in the backup to use D:\outlookbackup folder, backup always tries to use the default .pst location on the C: drive. Any ideas, please how I may secure my backup data? TIA John Why do you need other software to do this for you? Any reason you can't make a copy of your Outlook data file yourself? That's what everyone else does. -- Russ Valentine "John Nice" <johnDOTniceAT...

ADMT
We are migrating our current Windows 2000 Active Directory domain into a brand new (and appropriately named) domain using the Active Directory Migration Tool 2.0. We have a single domain and a single Exchange 2000 server. We are not upgrading Active Directory or Exchange in this migration. All users, groups and computers will be migrated to this new domain, including the Exchange server. Should the migration tool be able to successfully migrate everything without having to build another Exchange server in the target domain first? I have successfully tested migrating users, groups and mach...

Filter #11
Does anyone know if there are limitations on how many items you can have in a filter? In other words, if you have 50000 items in a list, will it only show 10000 items in the filter because Excel caps it at that #? BT Excel has a limit of 1000 unique items in an autofilter list. All are 'available' via the 'custom' option, but the dropdown will only show 1000 You can test this by 'autofilling' a column past 1000 and then filtering the column. It only shows up to 1000 in the drop-down. (97 - 2003) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick...

Outlook 2002 backup question...please help!
Hi all, I am having a problem with windows which may require me to reformat. I cannot get into outlook (2002) via windows, but I can access files from dos. Can someone please tell me where the data files for outlook 2002 are stored, and which ones I'd need to copy? Thanks in advance for any help. Jim See if this info helps: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm "Jim" <lakerfan426@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OUhIH0oTGHA.4132@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I am having a problem with windows which may require me to reformat. I >...

Restoring a single mailbox into Exchange 2000 SP3 environment.
I perform nightly ntbackups of our entire information store. In the past I would restore the entire information store to a test clone Exchange environment server and then open the mailbox required using Outlook and export the mailbox to a pst, and then import that pst into the exiting production mailbox using outlook again. As you all probably know with a 23gig information store this is horribly time consuming, and it drives me nuts. Can someone provide me an alternative solution to this? On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:57:54 -0400, "frank s" <SFDSFDSF@SFSDFDSFSA.COM> wrote: ...

How to disable the "implicit mx record" in Exchange
I am having a problem with exchange sending to hosts in recipient domains where these hosts are not actually mail servers. After a lot of review of the SMTP logs, I realized that sometimes Exchange is sending to the correct MX record host, and sometimes it is sending to the host with the A record for the actual domain. When I say the record for the domain, I mean an A record that refences the bare domain name rather than an individual host in the domain. So when Exchange gets a DNS timeout looking up an MX record, it falls back to sending to the domain A record. This causes an immed...

Contact categories & Exchange 2003: do they work together?
In my Small Business Server environment, I want Exchange to manage the Master category list for Outlook. I have been unable to locate an appropriate setting for this. Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, My contacts are all located in a public folder. "Paul van Egmond" <paul@oenone.nl> wrote: >In my Small Business Server environment, I want Exchange >to manage the Master category list for Outlook. I have >been unable to locate an appropriate setting for this. >Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, My contacts are >all located in a public folder. ...

Copy Exchange Mail Store
I would like to copy a mailbox store to a test server. What is the best way to go about this? Copy the priv.edb and priv.stm from your MDBDATA Folder of your Exchange Server. You will have to stop your Exchange Information Store service to do this. You will also have to remount the database and and reconnect user mailboxes on the test server. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "ssills" <ssills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0CB5304-47EF-40D1-95A0-4CCD0CD01A67@microsoft.com... >I would like to copy a ma...

Can't See New Public Folders on Just Added Backend Exchange Server
I recently added a new exchange server to an existing site,admin group, routing group. I am running in native mode. Now when I create new public folders on the new server, my clients are not seeing it (all client mailboxes are on the first server). It has been several hours now and they are still not visible. Any ideas? Thanks, tke042 ...