Exchange and SMTP and Web Servers

I have a Win2003 web server with SMTP enabled and we use it to send
email from within several web applications ... my question may be some
what basic but how does the mail flow out ... Does the web server send
the email directly or does the email get routed to an Exchange server ?
 ... and if the web server sends the email out directly is there a way
to make the web server send all mail to an Exchange server for
additional processing?  Our Exchange severs have some sort of "Mail
Guard" that will scan all out going emails ... and I need to have the
emails that are sent from the web server to go thru this Mail Guard as
well ...

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Rob

0
rfritz67 (3)

Hi,

That depends on the configuration you have made on the SMTP server. Do you
use DNS (direct send) or smart-host (send through another server). You
should use smart-host and then use the exchange server as the smart-host.
Remember to configure the exchange sever to allow this server to relay thru
the exchange server.

Leif

Leif

"Beach Bum" <rfritz67@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Win2003 web server with SMTP enabled and we use it to send
> email from within several web applications ... my question may be some
> what basic but how does the mail flow out ... Does the web server send
> the email directly or does the email get routed to an Exchange server ?
> ... and if the web server sends the email out directly is there a way
> to make the web server send all mail to an Exchange server for
> additional processing?  Our Exchange severs have some sort of "Mail
> Guard" that will scan all out going emails ... and I need to have the
> emails that are sent from the web server to go thru this Mail Guard as
> well ...
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Rob

I believe that we are using direct send ... if I put a smart host in
(name of exchange server) will that force the web server to send all
mail traffic to the exchange server...

Rob

Leif Pedersen [MVP] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That depends on the configuration you have made on the SMTP server. Do you
> use DNS (direct send) or smart-host (send through another server). You
> should use smart-host and then use the exchange server as the smart-host.
> Remember to configure the exchange sever to allow this server to relay thru
> the exchange server.
>
> Leif
>

> Leif
>
> "Beach Bum" <rfritz67@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Win2003 web server with SMTP enabled and we use it to send
> > email from within several web applications ... my question may be some
> > what basic but how does the mail flow out ... Does the web server send
> > the email directly or does the email get routed to an Exchange server ?
> > ... and if the web server sends the email out directly is there a way
> > to make the web server send all mail to an Exchange server for
> > additional processing?  Our Exchange severs have some sort of "Mail
> > Guard" that will scan all out going emails ... and I need to have the
> > emails that are sent from the web server to go thru this Mail Guard as
> > well ...
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rob

0
rfritz67 (3)
7/26/2006 1:28:58 PM
Also ... will the exchange server need to be configured to accept mail
from the web server ?

Thanks again Rob

Beach Bum wrote:
> I believe that we are using direct send ... if I put a smart host in
> (name of exchange server) will that force the web server to send all
> mail traffic to the exchange server...
>
> Rob
>
> Leif Pedersen [MVP] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > That depends on the configuration you have made on the SMTP server. Do you
> > use DNS (direct send) or smart-host (send through another server). You
> > should use smart-host and then use the exchange server as the smart-host.
> > Remember to configure the exchange sever to allow this server to relay thru
> > the exchange server.
> >
> > Leif
> >

> > Leif
> >
> > "Beach Bum" <rfritz67@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a Win2003 web server with SMTP enabled and we use it to send
> > > email from within several web applications ... my question may be some
> > > what basic but how does the mail flow out ... Does the web server send
> > > the email directly or does the email get routed to an Exchange server ?
> > > ... and if the web server sends the email out directly is there a way
> > > to make the web server send all mail to an Exchange server for
> > > additional processing?  Our Exchange severs have some sort of "Mail
> > > Guard" that will scan all out going emails ... and I need to have the
> > > emails that are sent from the web server to go thru this Mail Guard as
> > > well ...
> > >
> > > Any help would be appreciated
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Rob

0
rfritz67 (3)
7/26/2006 1:31:09 PM
Yes

>I believe that we are using direct send ... if I put a smart host in
> (name of exchange server) will that force the web server to send all
> mail traffic to the exchange server...
>
> Rob
>
> Leif Pedersen [MVP] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> That depends on the configuration you have made on the SMTP server. Do
>> you
>> use DNS (direct send) or smart-host (send through another server). You
>> should use smart-host and then use the exchange server as the smart-host.
>> Remember to configure the exchange sever to allow this server to relay
>> thru
>> the exchange server.
>>
>> Leif
>>

>> Leif
>>
>> "Beach Bum" <rfritz67@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Win2003 web server with SMTP enabled and we use it to send
>> > email from within several web applications ... my question may be some
>> > what basic but how does the mail flow out ... Does the web server send
>> > the email directly or does the email get routed to an Exchange server ?
>> > ... and if the web server sends the email out directly is there a way
>> > to make the web server send all mail to an Exchange server for
>> > additional processing?  Our Exchange severs have some sort of "Mail
>> > Guard" that will scan all out going emails ... and I need to have the
>> > emails that are sent from the web server to go thru this Mail Guard as
>> > well ...
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Rob

The exchange server will need to be configured to allow the web server to

> Also ... will the exchange server need to be configured to accept mail
> from the web server ?
>
> Thanks again Rob
>
> Beach Bum wrote:
>> I believe that we are using direct send ... if I put a smart host in
>> (name of exchange server) will that force the web server to send all
>> mail traffic to the exchange server...
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> Leif Pedersen [MVP] wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > That depends on the configuration you have made on the SMTP server. Do
>> > you
>> > use DNS (direct send) or smart-host (send through another server). You
>> > should use smart-host and then use the exchange server as the
>> > smart-host.
>> > Remember to configure the exchange sever to allow this server to relay
>> > thru
>> > the exchange server.
>> >
>> > Leif
>> >

>> > Leif
>> >
>> > "Beach Bum" <rfritz67@gmail.com> wrote in message

forwarding in Exchange 2003 #2

web address help
whats the web address for outlook so i can sign on? I have it stored on my home computer but dont have it here thanks Outlook doesn't have a web address unless you use an Exchange server. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64da01c3e61b$58282fc0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > whats the web address for outlook...

how to query my web site from VBA and return a value to VBA
Hello All, From VBA I would like send a value to my web site, and have it return a value. I've learned how to use FollowHyperlink to send a value to an ASP script, but how can the ASP script send a value back to VBA?? Thanks, Brian Austin, TX You can use xmlhttp to make a request to your web page: '********************************************************* Sub Tester() MsgBox WebResponse("http://www.mydomain.com/myactualpage.asp? info=3Dblah") End Sub Private Function WebResponse(sURL As String) As String Dim XmlHttpRequest As Object Se...

copy of exchange 2000
I don't suppose microsoft is providing Exchange 2000 as a free download anywhere are they?? Until we can afford to move up to SBS 2008 (hopefully later this year), I want to trash our SBS 2000 (too many issues with it) and simply install a win2k server with Exchange until we can move on. We are not using any of the other SBS components any longer anyway... If anyone knows where I might be able to get this from, I would be very appreciative! Thanks, Brad Why not look at BPOS? $10 per user a month it's a great inexpensive solution. You may find you do not ne...

help!! smtp protocol error occurred
exchange 2000 srv/windows 2k srv smtp protocol error occurred when trying to send mails. receives fine. Still waiting for some relavent information so we can help you solve your problem. >-----Original Message----- >exchange 2000 srv/windows 2k srv >smtp protocol error occurred when trying to send mails. >receives fine. > > >. > I had that problem, I telneted into the servers that the error occurred and found I was on a blacklist. Had to sumit to an open relay test, and bam, no more problems. ...

Deleted exchange 5.5 site not replicating over the ADC to Exchange 2000 side
We are a part of a shared Exchange 5.5 organization but our site is primarily Exchange 2000/2k3. We maintain a single 5.5 server as the rest of the Org is 5.5. The problem we are seeing is when the folks who control the Organization at the top level remove a site that is no longer used, that deletion is not carrying over the CONFIG_CA agreement to the Exchange 2000/AD side. Our Exchange 5.5 server executes the deletion with no issue. Any ideas on why this deletion is not replicating properly over the ADC and throught the SRS database? In the past we have manually removed the sites/recipie...

Exchange SP2 #5
I'm going to install SP2 for Exchange 2003 which is on my SBS2003. Is there anything i should know / do before I install? Thanks Damien 1. Read the Release Notes. http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/b/5/fb5c54af-fe5c-48e9-be97-f9e8207325ab/Ex_2003_SP2_RelNotes.htm 2. If you ever installed IMF v1, uninstall it. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Damien" <no@emailplease.com> wrote in message news:nS%fh.423965$E_2.65239@fe03.news.easynews.com... > I&...

cannot uninstall Exchange 2000
Just finished a migration from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2000, and I'm not able to uninstall Exchange 2000 from the old server to demote it gracefully. I realize I can manually uninstall, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible to keep it clean. The error I'm getting is: Setup encountered an error while checking prerequisites for the component "Microsoft Exchange 2000": 0x80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the server. The bottom portion of the log is: [05:51:15] Entering CCompDomainPrep::ScGetEffectiveMode [05:51:15] Leaving CCompDomainPrep::...

Exchange Stops Working
Hello. MY SETUP: 1. Primary server named STECNICIL (THIS HAS WINDOWS 2003 ENTERPRISE SERVER) 2. Secondary server name TEC-EXCHNG (THIS IS THE EXCHANGE SBS SERVER 2003) All the user connect through STECNICIL to get internet and every other service... All users connect to TEC-EXCHNG to get their email through OUTLOOK 2003. MY PROBLEM: I don't know what's going on but approximatly every 30mn to 1 hour, the connections between the clients and the EXCHANGE SERVER stops working. No more email for clients after that period of time. I have restart the server and restart the EXCH...

Auto Response with Exchange 5.5
I would like to create a auto response with Exchange 5.5. So when someone sends mail to careers@domain.com I can have an automated response go back. But I can't setup rules inside of outlook and keep it attached to the server I would like to make some sort of server side rule if possible?? Any suggestions? Thanks, BiG On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:09:59 -0400, bigdogg <bigdogg33_2000@yahoo.com> wrote: >I would like to create a auto response with Exchange 5.5. So when >someone sends mail to careers@domain.com I can have an automated >response go back. But I can't ...

Exchange 2003 with SP2 problems...

Active Directory/Exchange problem
All, Before I joined my current employer the admin here upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000(Box A) and then added another Exchange 2000 box to the organisation(Box B)and migrated the data in Box A to Box B. Box B is now the working exchange server and Box A is no longer used. The problem is that if I actually shut down Box A I can add a new user to Active Directory but I am unable to modify a users email/smtp details. All mail can still be transferred with no problems which would lead me to believe that Exchange is Ok but there is some sort of Active Directory link between the two bo...

Foreign Exchange
With Excel 2003, is there a way to have a cell automatically update th foreign exchange rate of yen to British pounds from the internet, an then use that cell to do calculations -- peterthistl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- peterthistle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2892 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48664 Here's something to get you started: Open a new workbook On Sheet1, enter the following: A1: FromCurrency B1: CAD A2: ToCurrency B2: USD A3: FromAmount B3...

Consulta Exchange 5.5 Mails con fondo
Estimados: Alguien sabe si es posible configurar un servidor Exchange 5.5 para que los mails enviados salgan con un fondo (bacground) predeterminado? Gracias. ...

Project Server
I work with one resource pool for all my projects. I am feeling that my computer is becoming "heavy" to work with. Project Server would help to make faster? Is there any advantage if I work with Project Server only on my computer, specially if I need to make all kinds of reports? Txs, Silene Hi, IMHO, in short: No on all counts. -- Jan De Messemaeker Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional +32 495 300 620 For availability check: http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf "Silene" <sileneev@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:D425...

mail server
Is Exchange an absolute must? Can I do without it? Can any other mail server do? Thank you. Hi Bill, Exchange is not required. There are 3 scenario's: 1) Exchange -> email can be sent and received in CRM 2) SMTP -> email can be sent from CRM but not received 3) Nothing -> email cannot be used from CRM. For more info http://blogs.msdn.com/midatlanticcrm/archive/2006/01/05/Running_Microsoft_CRM_without_Exchange_Server.aspx Hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "bill tie" wrote: > > Is Exchange an abso...

O.T. FYI BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Free for SBS2008
BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Free http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/business/server/express/ Connect two people via BlackBerry� Smartphone's and ideas get bigger. Progress happens faster. Answers get smarter. So imagine what happens when you give a business the freedom to connect all its employees. BlackBerry� Enterprise Server Express enables businesses of any size to quickly and easily get started with the BlackBerry solution. It provides advanced BlackBerry Smartphone features with no additional software or user license fees, and works with any Internet-...

smtp connector restriction not working
Dear all Does anyone know how to debug smtp connector , Lately i configure smtp connector restriction , but it only work for one minute while i restart the smtp virtual server, after one minute , it seems that the restriction not working , so somebody help me to solve this problem,thanks. Chester Huang Chester: Which restriction are you talking about? Message size? Content Restrictions? Delivery times? Delivery restrictions? -- Jim McBee Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Web: http://www.somorita.com "Chester" <chesterh@aserve.com.tw>...

change exchange name suffix
Hi We need to change our exchange server 'name' suffix. The situation is that we have a local DNS domain 'bs.si' where all our company computers and server are (Win2k srv AD) We have also external domain 'bs-group.si' that is also for delivering mail (mx record). The Exchange server name is 'posta' Now when someone connects to Exchange server from outside via port 25 it responds like '220 posta.bs.si ...', but I want that the response will be like '220 posta.bs-group.si'. So that mail that is coming from our server will be seen like that i...

Exchange 2K: Controlling incoming email formats....
Question... AFAIK (and correct me if I am wrong), Exchange natively only lets you control message formats for messages that are downloaded to POP\IMAP clients. For security reasons, I would like Exchange to convert all incoming\outgoing email from\to external domains, as well as INTRA-domain email , to plain text format. In other words, I do not want to see anymore html email on my server going in and out, just plain text. Is there a setting for this for Exchange to handle this natively? If not, what (if any) 3rd party solutions are out there for this? Thanks, George Here's the Re...