Exchange 5.5: X400 vs. Site Connector

Is there a performance difference between the Site Connector and X 400??
Let me give you a little more info, I have two sites which are connected via
a VPN (dedicated connection using T1's on both sides).   I currently have an
X400 connector between the two sites, however...I'm moving my exchange
server to a new system in one side which means I'm going to have to rebuild
the connectors.  I'm not using any scheduling, user priorities, message size
limitations or any of the advanced features of the X 400 connector.  So the
only question left is...is there any performance/scaliability difference in
high email traffic enviornments?  (IE, all external email has to traverse
the current x 400 connector to get to the remote sites..it's a ton of
traffic).  Anybody got any ideas? have any links to documents that discuss
this type of thing?

0
jingram (15)

iirc the X.400 connector was considered a better bet for lower-bandwith,
not-so-reliable connections, and/or as a connector between 2 distinct
Exchange orgs...for sites within a single org that have good connectivity, a
site connector was definitely the preference...

"Jason" <jingram@dpconline.com> wrote in message
> Is there a performance difference between the Site Connector and X 400??
> Let me give you a little more info, I have two sites which are connected
via
> a VPN (dedicated connection using T1's on both sides).   I currently have
an
> X400 connector between the two sites, however...I'm moving my exchange
> server to a new system in one side which means I'm going to have to
rebuild
> the connectors.  I'm not using any scheduling, user priorities, message
size
> limitations or any of the advanced features of the X 400 connector.  So
the
> only question left is...is there any performance/scaliability difference
in
> high email traffic enviornments?  (IE, all external email has to traverse
> the current x 400 connector to get to the remote sites..it's a ton of
> traffic).  Anybody got any ideas? have any links to documents that discuss
> this type of thing?

0
susan7353 (1225)
1/23/2004 6:34:32 PM
There's a KB article that states site connectors are not supported across a
VPN; you have to use X.400 over the public network. You're in a bit of a
different situation so it may not apply to you if "dedicated connection"
means a private line as opposed to the Internet. It also depends on how much
other traffic is running down the line. We have low bandwidth frame lines
that we switched from site connectors to X.400 connectors and the speed of
email flow increased noticeably.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307459

Ray

> Is there a performance difference between the Site Connector and X 400??
> Let me give you a little more info, I have two sites which are connected
via
> a VPN (dedicated connection using T1's on both sides).   I currently have
an
> X400 connector between the two sites, however...I'm moving my exchange
> server to a new system in one side which means I'm going to have to
rebuild
> the connectors.  I'm not using any scheduling, user priorities, message
size
> limitations or any of the advanced features of the X 400 connector.  So
the
> only question left is...is there any performance/scaliability difference
in
> high email traffic enviornments?  (IE, all external email has to traverse
> the current x 400 connector to get to the remote sites..it's a ton of
> traffic).  Anybody got any ideas? have any links to documents that discuss
> this type of thing?

0
reply_in1 (22)

Double emails in Oulook 98 (8.5.5104.6)
For some quirky reason I am now getting two of each email coming in to my mailboxes. It happens with Yahoo as well. Has anyone else experienced this and can offer a remedy? thanks ...

Removing an offline server from an exchange 5.5 site
Does anyone know how to remove an offline server from an exchange site? I need to remove an old server and cannot bring it back up to remove the server from exchange 5.5, is there another way to remove the server? Ste On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:16:48 +0100, "Ste" <stephenbrandley@hotmail.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how to remove an offline server from an exchange site? >I need to remove an old server and cannot bring it back up to remove the >server from exchange 5.5, is there another way to remove the server? > >Ste > Highlight it in the Exchange Admin G...

Exchange DR, what to do
Hello been asked to develop DR (DR as in an entire site being wiped out) plans for our organisations Exchange environment. We have two-node exchange clusters at siteA and at siteB. We have a separate DR site with a newly installed DC, and a standby Exchange Server. I originally had the idea of the following 1. in the event of a disaster, on the DR DC, seize all the FSMO roles 2. setup blank databases on the DR exchange server, use some script to set the homemdb, homemta, msexchhomeserver attributes to point at the DR server 3. users then (after rejigging their outlook profile) then open outl...

Migration from Lotus Notes R4.5 to Exchange 2000
To all, Can anyone give me some reference figures on how long it takes to convert a 1GB Lotus Notes mailbox to Exchange 2000? I am working on a migration project and need to estimate the time required. Much appreciated. We ran 4 migration sessions simultaneously and got about 1GB /hour. -- Nick Cavalancia MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI nickc@remove-comsphere.com Comsphere - "Where Knowledge Transfer is Key" Web: http://www.comsphere.com Ph: 954.275.0114 Fax: 954.791.6763 "Bakashi" <bakashi@mail.com> wrote in message news:6195b92b.0402230519.7d3d1814@posting.google.com... >...

Microsoft Office v. X 10.1.5 Update
Good evening MVPs Checking the Microsoft Mactopia page I just found the new Office X update 10.1.5. It has great news for all Office Users: "...This update addresses several stability issues with PowerPoint�, Excel, and Visual Basic for Applications for Office�v.�X. ..." But it also has a note that sounds more like ... You judge: "... Note If you have not installed Microsoft Office v. X 10.1.2 Update and Microsoft Exchange Update for Entourage� X (Office v. X 10.1.4 Update), you must do so before installing Microsoft Office v. X 10.1.5 Update. ..." I have all the update...

Invalid page fault when starting Microsoft Outlook Express 5 & 6 using Windows98
I am getting an error message reading, "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown. If the problem persists, call your vendor." Then I'll click on the details and it reads, "MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module WAB32.DLL at 0167:35c4c080. Registers: EAX=00370032 CS=0167 EIP=35c4c080 EFLGS=00010217 EBX=00438370 SS=016f ESP=0056dd10 EBP=0056dd34 ECX=000dbd53 DS=016f ESI=0043a000 FS=42f7 EDX=00400000 ES=016f EDI=01f10af0 GS=31de Bytes at CS:EIP: f3 a5 8b c8 83 e1 03 f3 a4 ff 75 fc e8 50 ae ff Stack dump: 00000003 000000a4 00000000 003700...

Exchange connector issues -- incoming emails missing body
I have the CRM Exchange router up and running, however, I do have an issue with it. All incoming emails that are routed to crm are missing the body of the email. This happens for both new emails sent from a customer and replies to emails that originated in crm. Has anyone heard of this issue before? Do I have the Exchange router or Exchange configured incorrectly? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks for your help. Drew Schaeffer Drew, I had that happen to me the first time we installed 1.0, but I haven't seen it in 1.2. Very strange. We also noticed that if we forwarded one of...

a few basic Exchange 2003 questions
Hello all, I have been given the responsibility of implementing Exchange 2003 for our company in March this year. I will be going on a five day training course soon and have been doing some reading - I also have experience in the administration (not installation/configuration) of Exchange 2000 some years ago. There are a few questions I would like to ask, if anyone can answer them of the top of their heads. 1. what is the basic capacity of a single Exchange 2003 Standard - I'm thinking it can cope with about 500-2500 mailboxes/users 2. can the OWA part of it use pass-through authentifi...

Exchange calendar
I would like to know is it possible to add my Company's holidays on exchange 5.5 calendar at the server level so that everyone in the company can find? ray3d84 This would be a job for the Public Folders section. Very easy to do. Create a calendar folder in the Public Folders, set permissions on the folder and add dates to it. Now, everyone with permissions can see it and only those with edit permissions can change it. "ray3d" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:013a01c3cf00$7786d2e0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I would like to know is it possibl...

Resource Room booking
Resource Room booking - Exchange 2003. Is it possible to set room booking with Private Flag checked by default? Users forgot to book with Private Flag today. Meeting room is a mailbox-enabled user account, without Auto Accecpt Agent. The goal is that only meeting attendes could see the agenda. Is there any third party sw who can fix this? Fred ...

Two SMTP connector scenario
Dear All Could you please help me to implement the scenario given below We have Exchange 2000 server running which is configured to accept mails for 5 domains that we have, and currently it is working perfect. It is configured one SMTP connector along with default SMTP virtual server to handle the mails Now I want to transfer the outgoing mails for a single domain through different route (Different IP using a Smart host) by keeping incoming mails to accept for the default IP address. My setup is given below - Exchange 2000 server has 2 internal IP addresses and the first one is published...

Permissions on Exchange 2000 distribution lists
How do we stop external mail being sent to a distribution list. We have a list setup with all email accounts in it for the organisation and it has been spamed recently. Is there a permission we can set to stop external mail from getting to it. We have setup in the exchange admin console to only receive emials from the distribution name. Is that enough and will it stop external emails getting to the list or will it stop all external mail going to people who's names are on the list. thanks -- Kath From Exchange General tab of the DL set it to accept msgs from authenticated users...

Outlook to exchange 2003 problem #2
Hi. I've just finished installing Exchange 2003 server but have a problem connecting outlook from a client pc to the exchange server. OWA is working fine. I get the following msg. when I configure the exchange properties in outlook when I do check name. "The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed." I've had a look at the microsoft knowledge base but found very little info on this. Has anyone had this problem? I'm sure I'm just forgetting some configuration. Plz any ideas? JB "Cyber-Guy" <cyber-guy@netmadeira.com> wrote...

Framework 3.5 Upgrade Problem
I have Windows XP Home SP2. I did a Windows Update and it wanted me to install Framework 3.5 SP1 before doing any other updates. On the first Restart after installation, it said there was a problem with my logon profile (possibly corrupt), and it logged me on with a temporary profile. The desktop was completely different from my usual desktop. I restarted again and didn't have a problem with my profile. I saw my usual desktop. However, every time right after logging in, I also saw a Windows Installer dialog saying that the feature I was trying to install was not avail...

Panasonic NN-SD697S 1300-Watt 1-1/5-Cubic-Foot Stainless-Steel Microwave Oven
List Price:$169.99 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B001MZVWA4 Best price found: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B001MZVWA4 Panasonic 1-1/5 cu feet stainless steel microwave, One-touch sensor cook and reheat, 1300-watt of high power, inverter technology, Inverter turbo defrost, pop-out dial with flat panel for easy programming, 13 1/2-inch turntable, 4-digit readout, reflective mirror door, 10 level power settings, 9 menu sensor settings, interactive mutli-lingual screen, more/less control feature, keep warm feature, popcorn key, quick minute, delay start and tim...

Missing emails from Outlook XP Exchange 5.5
I have a user that had approximately 300 emails and 100 contacts in his Outlook and they suddenly dissapeared on him after uninstalling Mcafee internet security 6. The strange thing is it did not delete ALL his email or All his contacts, there were 8 emails left in the box and 2 contacts left. Since he is on a laptop, I tried to work offline and see if they were in his .ost, but its the same thing. The strange thing is, his .ost is about 130mb, and when I look at his mailbox properties, it only shows about 60 mb in size. Also, on the exchange server, his mailbox resources show to be about 80mb...

switch from pop3 connector
Hi there About 6 months ago we switched to Small Business Server 2003, and the results have been brilliant. Perhaps underestimating ourselves, we used a hosting provider and the POP3 Connector for Exchange Server 2003 from the outset. But now we host our external website, company intranet, shared fax service, and very much everything else ourselves - so I'm thinking, why not email as well? I'm pretty much fed-up with depending on our hosting provider's - and their dynamic DNS provider's - uptime and service. In any case, purely for interest's sake, I'd like to get clos...

Hosted Exchange
We have just signed up with a hosted exchange through GoDaddy. The mailboxes are set up, but we are having trouble seeing each other's (2 of us) computers. Periodically, I am getting an error message that says : Task 'jan@greenwaldlaw.org (1)' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found.' GoDaddy says it's an Outlook issue. Hopefully someone in this group has an answer for me. I don't know what the error code means, so I don't know what to try to do to correct it. It's a problem with your offline address book. See ...

Error 28 Error 5 or Error 6
Using RMS Verion 2.0. I used the Store import to import a liquor database. Lots of Parent/Childs. I had an item that was linked back to itself, the parent item had the same lookup as the child. We didn't catch the mistake until they scanned the item at the point of sale. One time it let us go all the way through the sale, take a payment and then we got Error 28 and the point of sale shut down. The transaction was never recorded. Another time, when we scanned the item we immediately got Error 6 overflow. It locked up the system and we had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out of the err...

Uninstall exchange from cluster
I have been already uninsatll exchange2003 server from 2 node cluster and it successfully uninstalled, but the problem is that the exchange virtual server still appeared on the exchange system manager servers list!!! and still appeared in the connectors list as a member!! please help ...

open relay #5
In the Queues Tab in the Outbound messages waiting delivery and Inbound message awaiting delivery I found so many entry that do not belong to our domain.. I haVe Exchange server 5.5 sp 4.0 on NT 4.0 on the routing restrictions i have check the -Hosts and Clients who successfully authenticate -Host and clients with these IP Address 101.101.0.1 255.255.255.0 -Host and clients connecting to internal address 101.101.0.11 ' our mail server internal address but I think that the bogus entries in my QUEUES manifest that i am an open relay or that our mail server accepts the mail and ...

Manually removing an Exchange 2K Installation
I have two mailboxes in a Mailstore that will not delete or move. I need to remove this Exchange Server from my organization, and I've read the XADM article on how to manually remove it. (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=260378) The editing of registry keys and the warning that states I may need to reinstall Windows and Exchange in my organization if something is modified incorrectly frightens me. Is there any way around this? Anyway to get rid of these mailboxes that will not remove themselves? Please tell me there is another way! Thanks! Doreen ...

Exchange 2007 Evaluation version #2

Exchange 2003 stuck in maintenace mode
After applying exchange SP2 the exchange server is now stuck in maintance mode. Any Ideas or how do I roll back the SP. Regards James On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 04:27:07 -0800, James Deland <JamesDeland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >After applying exchange SP2 the exchange server is now stuck in maintance mode. In ESM, properties of the server, under the monitoring tab, do you have the disable monitoring of this server checked? > >Any Ideas or how do I roll back the SP. You can't uninstall or rollback an exch service pack. > >Regards > >James ...

Removing old 5.5 connectors
I have two connectors in Exchange 5.5 (MS Mail and CC:Mail) that I would like to remove before I remove the server from our mail group and convert over to native Exchange 2003. When I attempt to use the Exchange 5.5 setup to remove the connectors it says that my version of Exchange is newer and will not allow me to make the changes. The 5.5 server has had SP4 for exchange loaded which I’m sure is the reason the original setup will not work. What would be the best way to remove these unused connectors? It might be worth call Microsoft on this one. "RP in the Midwest" <R...