Hello all:

I have an environment where I need do do an Exch 5.5 to 2003 Migration.
The domain has already been migrated from NT4 to 2003. The only thing
is, is that there is no Active Directory Connector setup anywhere in
the environment. That leads me to my first question I guess. How is
this possible that Exch 5.5 is even working with AD?

In terms of upgrading, what would recommendations be? It is a single
Site. I was thinking about bringing up a new Exch 2003 server, and
using "Move Mailbox" to the new exch server. Replicate all the
necessary public folders, decomission the old exch server, and point
the MX to my new server.

Am I missing anything? How can the exch 5.5 system be running without
an ADC?

Thanks very much

0
rob.huehn (4)

Exchange 5.5 doesn't know anything about Active Directory.  Your Windows
2003 domain looks to Exchange like an NT domain.  Setting up ADC and
connection agreements populates Active Directory with Exchange directory
data and allows interoperability with Exchange 2003 servers.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Rob" <rob.huehn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all:
>
> I have an environment where I need do do an Exch 5.5 to 2003 Migration.
> The domain has already been migrated from NT4 to 2003. The only thing
> is, is that there is no Active Directory Connector setup anywhere in
> the environment. That leads me to my first question I guess. How is
> this possible that Exch 5.5 is even working with AD?
>
> In terms of upgrading, what would recommendations be? It is a single
> Site. I was thinking about bringing up a new Exch 2003 server, and
> using "Move Mailbox" to the new exch server. Replicate all the
> necessary public folders, decomission the old exch server, and point
> the MX to my new server.
>
> Am I missing anything? How can the exch 5.5 system be running without
> an ADC?
>
> Thanks very much

0
curspice6401 (3487)
10/12/2006 2:12:09 AM
Hello Ed:

Thank you so much for your reply. So given my situation, seeing as Exch
5.5 is currently running on a 2000 member server in the active
directory, and has been for a while, without an ADC, what would be my
best strategy for a migration from 5.5 to 2003? Install the ADC, then
upgrade to exch 2003 on an alternate server, using the move mailbox
wizard? Any recommendations?

P.S. I've used a lot of your past articles with 2000 to 2003 migration,
and have loved them. There great. Thanks so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Rob

Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> Exchange 5.5 doesn't know anything about Active Directory.  Your Windows
> 2003 domain looks to Exchange like an NT domain.  Setting up ADC and
> connection agreements populates Active Directory with Exchange directory
> data and allows interoperability with Exchange 2003 servers.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Rob" <rob.huehn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I have an environment where I need do do an Exch 5.5 to 2003 Migration.
> > The domain has already been migrated from NT4 to 2003. The only thing
> > is, is that there is no Active Directory Connector setup anywhere in
> > the environment. That leads me to my first question I guess. How is
> > this possible that Exch 5.5 is even working with AD?
> >
> > In terms of upgrading, what would recommendations be? It is a single
> > Site. I was thinking about bringing up a new Exch 2003 server, and
> > using "Move Mailbox" to the new exch server. Replicate all the
> > necessary public folders, decomission the old exch server, and point
> > the MX to my new server.
> >
> > Am I missing anything? How can the exch 5.5 system be running without
> > an ADC?
> >
> > Thanks very much

0
rob.huehn (4)
10/14/2006 1:59:38 PM
In the Microsoft Exchange web site there are a number of whitepapers you can
look at that will answer your questions.  You have a very common migration
scenario.
--

> Hello Ed:
>
> Thank you so much for your reply. So given my situation, seeing as Exch
> 5.5 is currently running on a 2000 member server in the active
> directory, and has been for a while, without an ADC, what would be my
> best strategy for a migration from 5.5 to 2003? Install the ADC, then
> upgrade to exch 2003 on an alternate server, using the move mailbox
> wizard? Any recommendations?
>
> P.S. I've used a lot of your past articles with 2000 to 2003 migration,
> and have loved them. There great. Thanks so much for your help.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Rob
>
> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>> Exchange 5.5 doesn't know anything about Active Directory.  Your Windows
>> 2003 domain looks to Exchange like an NT domain.  Setting up ADC and
>> connection agreements populates Active Directory with Exchange directory
>> data and allows interoperability with Exchange 2003 servers.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Rob" <rob.huehn@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all:
>> >
>> > I have an environment where I need do do an Exch 5.5 to 2003 Migration.
>> > The domain has already been migrated from NT4 to 2003. The only thing
>> > is, is that there is no Active Directory Connector setup anywhere in
>> > the environment. That leads me to my first question I guess. How is
>> > this possible that Exch 5.5 is even working with AD?
>> >
>> > In terms of upgrading, what would recommendations be? It is a single
>> > Site. I was thinking about bringing up a new Exch 2003 server, and
>> > using "Move Mailbox" to the new exch server. Replicate all the
>> > necessary public folders, decomission the old exch server, and point
>> > the MX to my new server.
>> >
>> > Am I missing anything? How can the exch 5.5 system be running without
>> > an ADC?
>> >
>> > Thanks very much

0
curspice6401 (3487)
10/17/2006 10:41:59 PM
if there aren't many mailboxes and you're comfortable to lose single
instance on the database, you can just exmerge the mailboxes in and
out....bit of a harsh one i know, but if there isn't a lot of data, it's
quite quick ; )

otherwise you can go the ADC route and run the two side by side as you move
mailboxes accross.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
> In the Microsoft Exchange web site there are a number of whitepapers you
> can look at that will answer your questions.  You have a very common
> migration scenario.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Rob" <rob.huehn@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Ed:
>>
>> Thank you so much for your reply. So given my situation, seeing as Exch
>> 5.5 is currently running on a 2000 member server in the active
>> directory, and has been for a while, without an ADC, what would be my
>> best strategy for a migration from 5.5 to 2003? Install the ADC, then
>> upgrade to exch 2003 on an alternate server, using the move mailbox
>> wizard? Any recommendations?
>>
>> P.S. I've used a lot of your past articles with 2000 to 2003 migration,
>> and have loved them. There great. Thanks so much for your help.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>>> Exchange 5.5 doesn't know anything about Active Directory.  Your Windows
>>> 2003 domain looks to Exchange like an NT domain.  Setting up ADC and
>>> connection agreements populates Active Directory with Exchange directory
>>> data and allows interoperability with Exchange 2003 servers.
>>> --
>>> Ed Crowley
>>> MVP - Exchange
>>> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
>>>
>>> "Rob" <rob.huehn@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
craig7427 (5)
10/18/2006 11:02:07 AM
Thank you very much Ed and Halcyon:

There is about 150GB of data in the priv, so exmerge might be a little
nasty. Ed, I have looked through quite a few whitepapers on ADC, and
common exchange migrations, and you are right, this scenario is pretty
straight forward. I was just amazed that currently there is not an ADC
running in the environment, and thought that this might lead to
problems down the road, when it came to migrating. From the sounds of
it though, looks like I'll install ADC, and migrate the Exch 5.5 to
2003, remove the ADC, exch 5.5 environment, and I should be good.

Thanks again

Rob

Halcyon wrote:
> if there aren't many mailboxes and you're comfortable to lose single
> instance on the database, you can just exmerge the mailboxes in and
> out....bit of a harsh one i know, but if there isn't a lot of data, it's
> quite quick ; )
>
> otherwise you can go the ADC route and run the two side by side as you move
> mailboxes accross.
>

> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
> > In the Microsoft Exchange web site there are a number of whitepapers you
> > can look at that will answer your questions.  You have a very common
> > migration scenario.
> > --
> > Ed Crowley
> > MVP - Exchange
> > "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >
> > "Rob" <rob.huehn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello Ed:
> >>
> >> Thank you so much for your reply. So given my situation, seeing as Exch
> >> 5.5 is currently running on a 2000 member server in the active
> >> directory, and has been for a while, without an ADC, what would be my
> >> best strategy for a migration from 5.5 to 2003? Install the ADC, then
> >> upgrade to exch 2003 on an alternate server, using the move mailbox
> >> wizard? Any recommendations?
> >>
> >> P.S. I've used a lot of your past articles with 2000 to 2003 migration,
> >> and have loved them. There great. Thanks so much for your help.
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >>
> >> Rob

0
rob.huehn (4)
10/21/2006 1:20:06 PM
In addition, Exmerge will cause lots of other problems that you may or may
not be able solve through other means.

I think you're on the right track.
--

> Thank you very much Ed and Halcyon:
>
> There is about 150GB of data in the priv, so exmerge might be a little
> nasty. Ed, I have looked through quite a few whitepapers on ADC, and
> common exchange migrations, and you are right, this scenario is pretty
> straight forward. I was just amazed that currently there is not an ADC
> running in the environment, and thought that this might lead to
> problems down the road, when it came to migrating. From the sounds of
> it though, looks like I'll install ADC, and migrate the Exch 5.5 to
> 2003, remove the ADC, exch 5.5 environment, and I should be good.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Rob
>
> Halcyon wrote:
>> if there aren't many mailboxes and you're comfortable to lose single
>> instance on the database, you can just exmerge the mailboxes in and
>> out....bit of a harsh one i know, but if there isn't a lot of data, it's
>> quite quick ; )
>>
>> otherwise you can go the ADC route and run the two side by side as you
>> move
>> mailboxes accross.
>>

>> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
>> > In the Microsoft Exchange web site there are a number of whitepapers
>> > you
>> > can look at that will answer your questions.  You have a very common
>> > migration scenario.
>> > --
>> > Ed Crowley
>> > MVP - Exchange
>> > "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
>> >
>> > "Rob" <rob.huehn@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Migrate CRM 1.2 to another server
Hello, I need to migrate a CRM 1.2 server to another server box and i can't find information about this can someone help me. Thank You, Paulo Mesquita Have a look at the Redeployment Tool that you can download from here (it should contain some useful documentation): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bfced393-61db-49af-9a50-4a90b311fa7d&displaylang=en -- David Jennaway - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.excitation.co.uk "Paulo Mesquita" wrote: > Hello, > > I need to migrate a CRM 1.2 server to another server box and i can&...

Question about creating a specific rule in Outlook 2002?
I'm being bombarded with junk email lately and I've started to create rules to deal with the "problem". I've managed to get the bulk of the problem under control. However, I still have a problem. Some junk email I get have no subject and/or no message body. These types always have no subjec though. I'm trying to create a rule where it will notice the blank subject and move the message to the deleted folder. However, I can't seem to come up with one. Any ideas? Thanks! Chris Smith smithcm@charter.net Give up and just download the free SpamBayes. Works...

VBA Worksheet Event Change or Selection Question, please assist me
Two fantastic people were kind enough to provide me these two codes below, and now I'm trying to see if I can expand it to include other columns and data in a worksheet. Code 1: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim myC As Range If Intersect(Target, Range("P:P")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Application.EnableEvents =3D False For Each myC In Intersect(Target, Range("P:P")) Range("Q" & myC.Row).Value =3D Date - Target.Value Next myC Application.EnableEvents =3D True End Sub Code 2: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Tar...

Removing Exchange User Attributes and the ADC
We merged an ADMTv2 created user account with an ADC created Contact, rather that the ADC created Disabled User. We would now like to get rid of the user account's association with the Contact info and merge the user account w/the ADC Disabled user; however, when we try to do that - using the ADClean util. - ADClean tells us we cannot as the user account is already mail enabled. Removing the existing Exchange Attributes on the users account suggests its self, however, when we go to do that all sorts of warnings come up (I'm somewhat familiar with the issues but need more insi...

how to convert to metric system in visio 2003?
how to convert to metric system in visio 2003? On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 00:00:00 -0800, alsari <alsari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how to convert to metric system in visio 2003? Don't be reluctant to tell us what you want to do. We can only guess otherwise. Do you want to use metric rather that imperial measurement templates and stencils? Do you want to convert current diagrams to metric? Do you just want to show measurements in metric units? Metric templates and stencils may not have been installed on your system. Use menu Tools -> Options to set the default measurement t...

Outlook 2003 Outlook Today Problem
I installed Office 2003 Standard over top of Office 2000 Professional. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, Outlook 2003 will not let me permanently customize Outlook Today. When I click on customize it presents the menus but is unable to find the graphics such as Winter, Summer, etc. It lets me select summer for instance and when I save the changes I get the summer scheme. But, when I exit Outlook and return my saved preferences are gone. There also appears to be graphic place holders on the Outlook Today screen, no 'x's just blank little squares. In the black date bar o...

How do I open doc's from Publisher 2000 when I am using Pub 2003?
I recently purchased Publisher 2003 and can't seem to edit any document from a previous version. Are you running Norton AV? Try disabling NAV Script Blocking ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Start NAV Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options, then click NortonAntiVirus. The Norton AntiVirus Options dialog box appears. Click Script Blocking. Uncheck Enable Script Blocking (recommended). Click OK. Restart the computer if prompted to do so. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "GAR" <GAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01222D01-7A00-4...

REstoring a mail sotre to a newly installed exchange 2003
Hi, I have a windows SBS 2003 server installed with a couple of mailboxes on it. I backed up the mail store then decided to reinstall the OS. The reason to do this was to partition the disk differently. So I installed the OS from scratch, and now I need to restore my mail store backup done using ntbackup. Should I recreate the old users on my SBS2003 system or should I just restore the mail store on top of the exisiting mailstore created by the fresh installtion of the OS. I didn't backup anything else but the mailstore. The newly installed server uses the same domain name as the ol...

Referencing .NET 2.0 but end result uses .NET 3.5
I'm using DevStudio 2005 and I have a project that references System.dll ver 2.0.50727 and I accidentally compiled code that used an overload that only exists in version 3.5 because my intellisense showed it. I tried to compile it on another machine that never had the .NET 3.5 install and it wouldn't compile and the intellisense had that version of the overload yet both references looked identical; looking at ver 2.0 of System.dll The method in question was WaitHandle.WaitOne. ..NET 2.0 WaitOne() WaitOne(Int32, Boolean) WaitOne(TimeSpan, Boolean) ..NET 3.5 WaitOne...

Exchange Administrator #2
Hey, I just installed Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 server. But when i open up Exchange Adminstrator, I keep on getting this error message, how do i fix this problem? Error: Title: Microsoft Exchange Administrator Message: A Connection could not be made to the microsoft exchange server computer 'EXCH'. The Microsoft exchange server computer does not respond. Microsoft Exchange Directory ID no: DS_E_Communications_Problem You use Exchange System Manager, and ADUC - not Exchange Administrator, to manage E2000/2003. Did you have a 5.x server before? erbeh wrote: > Hey, >...

Help Microsoft Office 2003
After now using Microsoft Office 2003 for about 3 months now, have suddenly noticed that my email messages have just started showing strange symbols for certain punctuation. This does not show as I type... but the recipent sees these symbols when the message is received. I can see it when they reply back. The strange symbols show for the apostrophe and sometimes for the exclaimation. I do not recognize the symbols. I do not have caps lock on, do have number lock on. None of the symbols show on my keys. Help?! Thanks! Kim it's caused by character encoding. What email client and...

Exchange 2003 SBS Attachment filtering in admin
Folks: I have set up SBS 2003 / Exchange on our server some time ago. I have been trying to find the location to add an additional attachment to the exclude list on incoming mail. (Attachment filtering). I have looked for some time and cannot find the UI to do this in the system manager. Could someone point this location out to me? Thanks d "D S" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:uPeCkbUrGHA.4992@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Folks: > > I have set up SBS 2003 / Exchange on our server some time ago. I have > been trying to find the location to a...

Symantec Mail Security for Exchange
Does anyone know if Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 5.0 will work on the Standard Edition of Exchange 2000 sp3? It says Enterprise Edition in the sys requirements but no where does it say the word STANDARD. If anyone can help before I purchase this software that would be great. Thanks, Chad WEBIT Services On 3 Nov 2006 13:50:18 -0800, "crdvds" <crdvds@gmail.com> wrote: >Does anyone know if Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 5.0 will work >on the Standard Edition of Exchange 2000 sp3? > >It says Enterprise Edition in the sys requirements but no where does ...

My Exchange server will not make new mailboxes
I had one e-mail server on this domain it was giving us trouble so I installed a new server on the domain and made it an exchange server. I moved all the mailboxes that where in use to the new e-mail server. I wait two weeks and shut down the old server, but now when I create a new user in active directory and tell it to create a mailbox it looks as if it creates one. When I look in the properties of the user and go to the e-mail address tab it is blank. When I right click on the users name and go to exchange task it gives me the option to move the mailbox to the old server which is ...

Outlook 2003 from SBS2003
Hi, After we upgraded our server to SBS2003 over the weekend and as a part of this rollout all our client machines running XP and Office XP were upgraded to the Outlook 2003 client. Since this has occured no one can use word 2002 (Office XP) as the default Message editor. It appears that Outlook 2003 has changed the default setting for saying Microsoft Word edit to now say Office Word 2003 which by the way is greyed out. Probably due to the fact that none of the clients have office 2003 installed on them on the new Outlook 2003 that occured during this upgrade. Any idea's wo...

Uprage to 2003 from 2000
Hello, Over the weekend I have installed an exchange 2003 server within the same domain as an exchange 2000 server. All is going well except this morning I am getting alot of reports from users that they're emails are bouncing back with a "mailbox over the size limit error" I normally hear of these all the time, but I'm finding that this morning I've gotten a lot of complaints. When I look at the users mailbox in ESM, for some reason alot of them are much larger than the size limit that they have on their mailboxes. For instance, one user has a limit of 350000 yet...

CBitmap class question
I use CBitmap::CreateBitmap create a CBitmap object, and sets the bit datas by CBitmap::SetBitmapBits, but I can not display it on the screen(ie. use CDC::BitBlt), which step do I miss? Thanks for any idea. My codes like: CBitmap bmp; bmp.CreateBitmap(50,50,1,24,NULL); //24 bit colors bmp.SetBitmapBits(bufLen, pBuf); //pBuf points to valid data CDC dcMem; dcMem.CreateCompatibleDC(pDC); dcMem.SelectObject(&bmp); pDC->BitBlt(0,0,50,50,&dcMem,0,0,SRCCOPY); // fault! can not display the map. This is what you need:- http://support.microsoft.com/default.a...

Difficult Excel Question
I am doing a VLOOKUP, but when you select the sheet you wish to look at, I would like the name to chance depending on a name supplied by a cell. If anyone can solve this, please e-mail me rthakrar49@hotmail.com =VLOOKUP(A1,INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:H100"),3,FALSE) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "rthakrar49@hotmail.com" <rthakrar49@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BDA5D08-0AD1-43D2-A572-58900081D412@microsoft.com... > I am doing a VLOOKUP, but when you select the sheet ...

migration
I, too, am having 'difficulty' migrating email folders from OE to Outlook; I tried copying the folder 'Exchange' which is supposed to contain the "Exported" folders. I could not Import them. I traced the 'save' mail process, and found a file under Windows/Applications that contained the folders; so i copied them to cdr; they are designated as dbx files. I copied them to a folder on the new C drive. And tried to import them: "Mail folder could not be opened" When i d click on the folder in Outlook, nothing opens; but when i d-click on the folde...

Make outlook 2003 start in favorites
I am trying to get my outlook 2003 to startup the left pane in th Favorites tab, instead of the Mail tab. It is annoying for me to hav to switch tabs every time i start it up, as I prefer to be in m favorites. How can this be done ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

MSN email acc in Outlook 2003
Hi. I'm a Hotmail Plus user but it seemed that I can't use the Outlook 2003 to retrieve my emails. The error: Task 'MSN: Folder: Inbox Synchroning headers.' reported error (0x800CCF4): 'An unknown error has occured. Please save any existing work and restart the program.' This error occurs only with MSN email account. The error still occurs even though I removed and added the account again. I even restart Outlook and it still the same thing. I tried adding my msn email account at work using Outlook 2003. It works there but apparently, not at home. I tried on...

MX question on Exchange 2003
When I try to send mail to any user in the domain graphics.ucsd.edu the mail can not be delivered because there first MX record that points to 132.239.95.98 doesn't have port 25 open for mail. So my server tries only that server for tree days then it gives up. First of all, why doesn't my server try any other server with lover priority? And what is the reason to stop port 25 on their first MX server? I have an Exchange 2003 server with sp1 running on a windows 2003 server RO wrote: > When I try to send mail to any user in the domain graphics.ucsd.edu > the mail can not b...

Exchange 2003 Mail between servers stops after a few days
Hi all, I have an odd situation where mail destined for a different administrative group in the same domain stops after a few days; a restart of the server where mails are queing clears the problem. The destination admin group is attached via a connector (smtp), and it's this connector that goes into a retry state under fault conditions. A bridgehead at either end is used, although looking at message tracking suggests the bridge-heads are not being used. Local mail delivery is unaffected, only mail to the remote admin group is affected. There are firewalls involved: the sites are...

Exchange 5.5 internal site problem
Hi, I am using exch 5.5 with 2 srvrs in a single sit , with a mail content scanner enigine on a diff srvr , when i forward mail fm content scanner to first srvr , the mail flow works properly , but when i forward it to second srvr ( which was buileded later) , the recipients on 1 st server dont get internet mails . Can anyone HElp. ...

wireless router question from a dummy
Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a g. Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is an n router. Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I still would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook? I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't have an adapter needed for the computer to work. Was wondering if that is the same case with a wireless n router? thanks How do you connect to the net? Do you have more than one PC? "iluv my kitties and family&...