Exchange 5.5 Service Account Domain Rights

Silly question...

Does an Exchange 5.5 service account need to be a domain admin? It seems
like it does not need to be domain admin, just local admin on the exchange
server.

If possible, please provide a M$ link.

thanks,

FastEddie

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:43:05 -0500, "FastEddie"
<fasteddie@therockwells.net.no.spam> wrote:

>Silly question...
>
>Does an Exchange 5.5 service account need to be a domain admin? It seems
>like it does not need to be domain admin, just local admin on the exchange
>server.

	Nope. In fact, it is recommended that it not be a domain
admin.

"Note: In most cases, you should not use the domain Administrator
account as your service account, because if you do so, you violate the
principle of least privilege. Least privilege means you should avoid
logging on with network accounts that have more rights than those that
you really need to accomplish your tasks."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/support/changing.mspx#EFAA

>If possible, please provide a M$ link.

	Is M$ a hidden share?

>thanks,
>
>FastEddie

0
adavid (8731)
9/13/2005 6:48:54 PM
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:43:05 -0500, "FastEddie"
<fasteddie@therockwells.net.no.spam> wrote:

>Silly question...
>
>Does an Exchange 5.5 service account need to be a domain admin? It seems
>like it does not need to be domain admin, just local admin on the exchange
>server.
>
>If possible, please provide a M$ link.
>
>thanks,
>
>FastEddie

You don't need to grand domain admin rights but if you take a look at
http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1012&sectionName=How%20to%20Change%20the%20Exchange%20Service%20Account
you will be able to see what rights the exchange service account does
need. I've only been able to find the supplied link and I know you
don't want to change the account but it's a good link to show you what
the service account does need.

0
mark7219 (5666)
9/13/2005 6:50:59 PM
Thanks!

Fasteddie

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:43:05 -0500, "FastEddie"
> <fasteddie@therockwells.net.no.spam> wrote:
>
>>Silly question...
>>
>>Does an Exchange 5.5 service account need to be a domain admin? It seems
>>like it does not need to be domain admin, just local admin on the exchange
>>server.
>
> Nope. In fact, it is recommended that it not be a domain
> admin.
>
> "Note: In most cases, you should not use the domain Administrator
> account as your service account, because if you do so, you violate the
> principle of least privilege. Least privilege means you should avoid
> logging on with network accounts that have more rights than those that
> you really need to accomplish your tasks."
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/support/changing.mspx#EFAA
>

>>If possible, please provide a M$ link.
>
> Is M$ a hidden share?
>

>>thanks,
>>
>>FastEddie

Thanks,

FastEddie

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:43:05 -0500, "FastEddie"
> <fasteddie@therockwells.net.no.spam> wrote:
>
>>Silly question...
>>
>>Does an Exchange 5.5 service account need to be a domain admin? It seems
>>like it does not need to be domain admin, just local admin on the exchange
>>server.
>>
>>If possible, please provide a M$ link.
>>
>>thanks,
>>
>>FastEddie
>>

> You don't need to grand domain admin rights but if you take a look at
> http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1012&sectionName=How%20to%20Change%20the%20Exchange%20Service%20Account
> you will be able to see what rights the exchange service account does
> need. I've only been able to find the supplied link and I know you
> don't want to change the account but it's a good link to show you what
> the service account does need.

Watch Accounts
I've set up a watch account to use as a model for an investing strategy I'd like to try. In doing so, I want to be able to track theoretical purchases and sales of individual stocks. I want to track sales and realized gains on my Account Summary window, so I've customized my view to do that. After entering a purchase, the stock shows up just fine on my account summary, but after I sell all shares, it no longer shows up so I'm not able to track realized gains. How can I get Money to continue to display the stocks I no longer "own" in my watch account? a w...

Exchange in SBS2003 R2

Delegates for SBS2003 Exchange

Converting Opportunity to Account

OLK 2k7

Microsoft Exchange Server

Setting up a new e-mail account

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Archiving Projects in Project Accounting
Has anyone found a way to archive closed projects? Thanks. ...

Service Products Tracking.
We run a workshop repair service, what is the best way to track customers products, as it seems unfeasible to add products when booking an over the counter repair order in CRM. I would like to track repairs against machine manufacturer to do simple reporting like reliability against brand etc. I would recommend the following as the product you sell is a service I would create the service as the product i.e. create product Start-up costs, hourly rate, etc. To track brand reliability I would create one or more custom entities which contain the brand and maybe even their products. T...

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server

Right clicking on a CListCtrl item
I have a TreeCtl object in a dialog box. I created an OnNMRclick.. override function to capture a right clicks. The problem I can't figure out is how to find the tree item that the user has right clicked on. Here's what I tried: void CRestoreFiles::OnNMRclickXYZ(NMHDR *pNMHDR, LRESULT *pResult) POINT CurPos; TVHITTESTINFO lpht; HTREEITEM RightClickItem; GetCursorPos(&CurPos); lpht.pt = CurPos; RightClickItem = TreeView_HitTest(pNMHDR->hwndFrom,&lpht); ... I figured that GetCursorPos would give me the position of the cursor where I had right clicke...

Outllok 2003 reply with wrong account
Howdy - I have Outlook 2003. For some reason my new pc has started doing the same thing as my previous one. I have 5 email accounts. When a person sends me an email to my default account and I reply, it comes from another account. In theory (and it did until the last couple of days) it should come from the account I received the email in.... I change the smtp settings on the accounts as I travel a lot, but other than that I haven't changed anything that I know of to cause this - anyone had the same problem, or better yet - know how to fixt it???!!! Thanks in advance Ron ...

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

Re-enabled user account cannot log in
In trying to troubleshoot and issue in CRM where I had multiple user accounts for a single ADUC user, I tried disabling and re-enabling a user's account. But even after re-enabling the account the user cannot log in now. The error message says that it is disallowed when he tries to browse to the CRM server. Please help, I need to get this user account working again asap. Joel ...