Exchange 5.5 resending mail without user input

I have a situation where a company using Exchange 5.5
allowed the server to be used as a relay for spammers.
When the internet service was stopped, relay restrictions
imposed and the service restarted, som eusers experienced
receiving several days worth of duplicate emails i their
Outlook inboxes, generating concern that the fix applied
to stop the spammers had somehow broken another complnent
ofthe server. Does anyone know why this would occur and
is there cause for concern if the duplicate emails are no
longer being generated?
0
anonymous (74722)

Hello Elliott,

Are the duplicate e-mails large in size - more than one MB? If yes than
the following scenario might be possible:

* The sending SMTP server sends a large email
* Your SMTP server accepts the incoming email but is so busy that it
takes a little longer to send acknowledgement.
* Although your server got the message the sending server thinks that
the message was not sent and therefore, keeps retrying.

Elliott Shannonhouse wrote:
> I have a situation where a company using Exchange 5.5
> allowed the server to be used as a relay for spammers.
> When the internet service was stopped, relay restrictions
> imposed and the service restarted, som eusers experienced
> receiving several days worth of duplicate emails i their
> Outlook inboxes, generating concern that the fix applied
> to stop the spammers had somehow broken another complnent
> ofthe server. Does anyone know why this would occur and
> is there cause for concern if the duplicate emails are no
> longer being generated?

0
anonymous (74722)

junk mail filter doesn't work with rules?
Hello, I receive mail from many pop3 accounts and mailing lists. I use rules to organize the mail within my mailbox. One problem I am having is that the junk mail filter does not screen mail that is affected by the rules. So for instance, I get an email from some alternate account that I have. The mail comes in and gets picked up by the rule and moved to the appropriate folder. When this happens, the junk mail filter never checks the message. Only mail left in the Inbox is screened. Can someone help figure out how to make this work or does anyone have a workaround? I'd hate to ...

Exchange in SBS2003 R2

How to send .mht file in email without image attachments?
In Publisher, I can create a document, save it as an .mht file and paste it in an email message so when a person pulls up their email, it will appear on their screen. The problem is, for every image, it attaches an image file at the top under attachments. How can I accomplish the above without it attaching images? Thanks SO much in advance for any helpful information. Are you are using Outlook/Outlook Express? If so, have you tried sending the Pub document in the body of the email and skip the .mht step. Please keep in mind that if someone has their system set to read as plain text, ...

Removing multiple users from Outlook

Outlook Send/Receive mail SLOW

Delegates for SBS2003 Exchange

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook