Exchange 5.5 on Windows NT in Active Directory

Someone please help!!!!!!  ARRRGH.

I tested my Windows NT domain to Windows 2003 Active Directory upgrade.
Everything went as planned...the DNS, the logons..everything.
Except for the mail server.  I still, at this time, have to run Exchange 5.5
on a Windows NT box until the next budget comes up.

How do I get Exchange 5.5 on an NT box to work on an Active Directory
system?  I am running in mixed mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

0
chrisj1 (34)

"CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:

>Someone please help!!!!!!  ARRRGH.
>
>I tested my Windows NT domain to Windows 2003 Active Directory upgrade.
>Everything went as planned...the DNS, the logons..everything.
>Except for the mail server.  I still, at this time, have to run Exchange 5.5
>on a Windows NT box until the next budget comes up.
>
>How do I get Exchange 5.5 on an NT box to work on an Active Directory
>system?  I am running in mixed mode.

If the Exchange server's a member server in the AD domain there's
nothing to do. The AD provides a PDC emulator that the Exchange server
will use in pace of the NT domain controllers.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Andy

0
anonymous (74722)
> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
> >Someone please help!!!!!!  ARRRGH.
> >
> >I tested my Windows NT domain to Windows 2003 Active Directory upgrade.
> >Everything went as planned...the DNS, the logons..everything.
> >Except for the mail server.  I still, at this time, have to run Exchange
5.5
> >on a Windows NT box until the next budget comes up.
> >
> >How do I get Exchange 5.5 on an NT box to work on an Active Directory
> >system?  I am running in mixed mode.
>
> If the Exchange server's a member server in the AD domain there's
> nothing to do. The AD provides a PDC emulator that the Exchange server
> will use in pace of the NT domain controllers.

That sounded about right to me.  To give you a little more information, if I
try to log on locally it won't let me until I put the NT PDC back on line.
Its like there is no domain controller to authenticate me.  But I can log
all other machines on to the new 2003 DC.  XP, 2000 and 98.
Any ideas?

If somehow the NT server is not a memeber of the new AD domain, what do I
need to do to get it to be?  It is listed in Computers in the 2003 server.

0
chrisj1 (34)
7/4/2004 2:49:58 PM
"Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We run AD 2003 in NAtive mode with Exchange 5.5 and it
> runs file, all I had to do was manually add the server
> into DNS as it wouldn't do it itself.
>
> Andy

Great..I will try that. Thanks!!

0
chrisj1 (34)
7/4/2004 2:56:37 PM
"Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We run AD 2003 in NAtive mode with Exchange 5.5 and it
> runs file, all I had to do was manually add the server
> into DNS as it wouldn't do it itself.
>
> Andy

I must be doing it wrong.  I added it and still nothing happened.  Its a
Windows NT 4 server with sp6a.

0
chrisj1 (34)
7/4/2004 9:13:07 PM
This may be because of a service pack or hotfix that actively prevents
NT4 based authentication or it may be somehting entirely less sinister

in these circumstances work your way through

Time Sync
Name Resolution
Machine Authentication

Does your WINS Server have the 2003 DC as a record yet ?

Just some thoughts...

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:49:58 GMT, "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Someone please help!!!!!!  ARRRGH.
>> >
>> >I tested my Windows NT domain to Windows 2003 Active Directory upgrade.
>> >Everything went as planned...the DNS, the logons..everything.
>> >Except for the mail server.  I still, at this time, have to run Exchange
>5.5
>> >on a Windows NT box until the next budget comes up.
>> >
>> >How do I get Exchange 5.5 on an NT box to work on an Active Directory
>> >system?  I am running in mixed mode.
>>
>> If the Exchange server's a member server in the AD domain there's
>> nothing to do. The AD provides a PDC emulator that the Exchange server
>> will use in pace of the NT domain controllers.
>

>That sounded about right to me.  To give you a little more information, if I
>try to log on locally it won't let me until I put the NT PDC back on line.
>Its like there is no domain controller to authenticate me.  But I can log
>all other machines on to the new 2003 DC.  XP, 2000 and 98.
>Any ideas?
>
>If somehow the NT server is not a memeber of the new AD domain, what do I
>need to do to get it to be?  It is listed in Computers in the 2003 server.

================================
My Hero:
(remove vroomfondle to email me)
================================
0
the_pfy (11)
7/4/2004 9:45:34 PM
"CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Someone please help!!!!!!  ARRRGH.
>> >
>> >I tested my Windows NT domain to Windows 2003 Active Directory upgrade.
>> >Everything went as planned...the DNS, the logons..everything.
>> >Except for the mail server.  I still, at this time, have to run Exchange
>5.5
>> >on a Windows NT box until the next budget comes up.
>> >
>> >How do I get Exchange 5.5 on an NT box to work on an Active Directory
>> >system?  I am running in mixed mode.
>>
>> If the Exchange server's a member server in the AD domain there's
>> nothing to do. The AD provides a PDC emulator that the Exchange server
>> will use in pace of the NT domain controllers.
>

>That sounded about right to me.  To give you a little more information, if I
>try to log on locally it won't let me until I put the NT PDC back on line.

Uh-oh. And how can you have a NT4 PDC when that's the first domain
controller that gets upgraded to become a AD Domain Controller? You
PDC should have been made into a Windows 2003 server.

>Its like there is no domain controller to authenticate me.

With the NT4 domain controller off-line, who owns the PDC Emulator
FSMO role for the domain?

>But I can log
>all other machines on to the new 2003 DC.  XP, 2000 and 98.
>Any ideas?
>
>If somehow the NT server is not a memeber of the new AD domain, what do I
>need to do to get it to be?  It is listed in Computers in the 2003 server.

Just because there's a computer account doesn't necessaily mean that
the server's a member of the domain. Check the server's properties and
verify it's a domain member of the correct domain . . . and please
explain how you have a NT4 PDC for the domain! I don;t think your
problem's got much to do with Exchange.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
> >"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

Exchange
> >5.5

> >> If the Exchange server's a member server in the AD domain there's
> >> nothing to do. The AD provides a PDC emulator that the Exchange server
> >> will use in pace of the NT domain controllers.
> >

> >That sounded about right to me.  To give you a little more information,
if I
> >try to log on locally it won't let me until I put the NT PDC back on
line.

> Uh-oh. And how can you have a NT4 PDC when that's the first domain
> controller that gets upgraded to become a AD Domain Controller? You
> PDC should have been made into a Windows 2003 server.

I did make a PDC into a win2003 DC, just not my production PDC.  I take it
offline and use a BDC that I upgraded to a PDC...just in case I need to put
the NT domain back until I figure out the problem.

> >Its like there is no domain controller to authenticate me.
>
> With the NT4 domain controller off-line, who owns the PDC Emulator
> FSMO role for the domain?

Should be the test PDC that I upgraded to Win2003

> >But I can log
> >all other machines on to the new 2003 DC.  XP, 2000 and 98.
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >If somehow the NT server is not a memeber of the new AD domain, what do I
> >need to do to get it to be?  It is listed in Computers in the 2003
server.

> Just because there's a computer account doesn't necessaily mean that
> the server's a member of the domain. Check the server's properties and
> verify it's a domain member of the correct domain . . . and please
> explain how you have a NT4 PDC for the domain! I don;t think your
> problem's got much to do with Exchange.

Me neither, but like I said, I made a Win NT BDC from scratch and promoted
it to a PDC after my production PDC was taken offline just for the sole
purpose of using it to test the Windows 2003 upgrade.

Does this clear it up?...Any ideas.
Thanks for the replies.  Its greatly appreciated.

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

chrisj1 (34)
7/5/2004 5:37:19 AM
"CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>> Uh-oh. And how can you have a NT4 PDC when that's the first domain
>> controller that gets upgraded to become a AD Domain Controller? You
>> PDC should have been made into a Windows 2003 server.
>
>I did make a PDC into a win2003 DC, just not my production PDC.  I take it
>offline and use a BDC that I upgraded to a PDC...just in case I need to put
>the NT domain back until I figure out the problem.

So, the two domains with identical names are completely isolated from
each other? Then how does the Exchange server contact either the AD or
NT4 PDC? Something still doesn't sound right to me.

>> >Its like there is no domain controller to authenticate me.
>>
>> With the NT4 domain controller off-line, who owns the PDC Emulator
>> FSMO role for the domain?
>
>Should be the test PDC that I upgraded to Win2003

"Should be"? Have you checked? Have you checked WINS, too? Who's
assigned the netbios 1e/1c/1d record types?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> >> Uh-oh. And how can you have a NT4 PDC when that's the first domain
> >> controller that gets upgraded to become a AD Domain Controller? You
> >> PDC should have been made into a Windows 2003 server.
> >
> >I did make a PDC into a win2003 DC, just not my production PDC.  I take
it
> >offline and use a BDC that I upgraded to a PDC...just in case I need to
put
> >the NT domain back until I figure out the problem.
>
> So, the two domains with identical names are completely isolated from
> each other? Then how does the Exchange server contact either the AD or
> NT4 PDC? Something still doesn't sound right to me.

No, there is just one domain.  I had a netbios name, for example, of
MYDOMAIN, and I installed an NT machine just to make it a BDC.
I synchronized it with the PDC, then took the PDC offline.

Once the production PDC was offline, I did an offline promotion of the new
BDC to PDC and upgraded it to Windows 2003 AD.

The newly upgraded PDC has DNS and WINS working on it.  The newly upgraded
system now AD and everything works except this one Windows NT 4.0 Server
with sp6a on it.  All logons work, my logon scripts, internet access,
clients are registering in the DNS.  Its just one Windows NT Server left on
the system, that wasnt a BDC orginially, that I dont have money in the
budget to upgrade just yet.

0
chrisj1 (34)
7/5/2004 11:54:41 PM
"CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>>
>> [ snip ]

>> >I did make a PDC into a win2003 DC, just not my production PDC.  I take
>it
>> >offline and use a BDC that I upgraded to a PDC...just in case I need to
>put
>> >the NT domain back until I figure out the problem.
>>
>> So, the two domains with identical names are completely isolated from
>> each other? Then how does the Exchange server contact either the AD or
>> NT4 PDC? Something still doesn't sound right to me.
>
>No, there is just one domain.

Then you can have just one PDC. You say you have two: the PDC Emulator
FSMO role holder and a NT4 PDC. If the Exchange server can access both
(or either) of them then you can't just put the NT4 PDC back onto the
network. If the two are on separate networks then the Exchange server
wouldn't be able to access one of them.

>I had a netbios name, for example, of
>MYDOMAIN, and I installed an NT machine just to make it a BDC.
>I synchronized it with the PDC, then took the PDC offline.

That's fine. But you say the AD isn't on your production network. If
that's so, how is the NT4 PDC being used for authentication as you say
it is?

>Once the production PDC was offline, I did an offline promotion of the new
>BDC to PDC and upgraded it to Windows 2003 AD.
>
>The newly upgraded PDC has DNS and WINS working on it.

Good. And the Exchange server's using that WINS server? What are the
IP addresses assigned to the domain name and domain controllers in the
WINS database? Are they the IP address of the AD PDC FSMO role holder
or the NT4 PDC?

>The newly upgraded
>system now AD and everything works except this one Windows NT 4.0 Server
>with sp6a on it.

If it's just that one server then take it out of the domain and then
add it back.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
> >"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> >> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> [ snip ]

> >it
> >put
> >>
> >> So, the two domains with identical names are completely isolated from
> >> each other? Then how does the Exchange server contact either the AD or
> >> NT4 PDC? Something still doesn't sound right to me.
> >
> >No, there is just one domain.
>
> Then you can have just one PDC. You say you have two: the PDC Emulator
> FSMO role holder and a NT4 PDC.

No, I only have the one DC which was upgraded to 2003.  The other NT box,
which I can't get to authenticate is a standalone server.
Its not a PDC or a BDC.

 If the Exchange server can access both
> (or either) of them then you can't just put the NT4 PDC back onto the
> network. If the two are on separate networks then the Exchange server
> wouldn't be able to access one of them.
>
> >I had a netbios name, for example, of
> >MYDOMAIN, and I installed an NT machine just to make it a BDC.
> >I synchronized it with the PDC, then took the PDC offline.
>
> That's fine. But you say the AD isn't on your production network.

No, I said I took the production NT server PDC offline so I could revert
back to it if need be.

 If
> that's so, how is the NT4 PDC being used for authentication as you say
> it is?

Its not, I upgraded a spare NT server and took the main one offline in case
I needed to go back to NT domains.

> >Once the production PDC was offline, I did an offline promotion of the
new
> >BDC to PDC and upgraded it to Windows 2003 AD.
> >
> >The newly upgraded PDC has DNS and WINS working on it.
>
> Good. And the Exchange server's using that WINS server? What are the
> IP addresses assigned to the domain name and domain controllers in the
> WINS database? Are they the IP address of the AD PDC FSMO role holder
> or the NT4 PDC?

Ok..so is this what we are getting at?  Do I need an entry in WINS for the
NT server that is holding Exchange?

> >The newly upgraded
> >system now AD and everything works except this one Windows NT 4.0 Server
> >with sp6a on it.
>
> If it's just that one server then take it out of the domain and then
> add it back.

How do I do that?

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

chrisj1 (34)
7/6/2004 3:37:18 AM
Good call Rich

Missed that

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:49:58 -0400, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:

>"CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
>>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

>>5.5

>>> If the Exchange server's a member server in the AD domain there's
>>> nothing to do. The AD provides a PDC emulator that the Exchange server
>>> will use in pace of the NT domain controllers.
>>

>>That sounded about right to me.  To give you a little more information, if I
>>try to log on locally it won't let me until I put the NT PDC back on line.
>
>Uh-oh. And how can you have a NT4 PDC when that's the first domain
>controller that gets upgraded to become a AD Domain Controller? You
>PDC should have been made into a Windows 2003 server.
>
>>Its like there is no domain controller to authenticate me.
>
>With the NT4 domain controller off-line, who owns the PDC Emulator
>FSMO role for the domain?
>
>>But I can log
>>all other machines on to the new 2003 DC.  XP, 2000 and 98.
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>If somehow the NT server is not a memeber of the new AD domain, what do I
>>need to do to get it to be?  It is listed in Computers in the 2003 server.
>
>Just because there's a computer account doesn't necessaily mean that
>the server's a member of the domain. Check the server's properties and
>verify it's a domain member of the correct domain . . . and please
>explain how you have a NT4 PDC for the domain! I don;t think your
>problem's got much to do with Exchange.

================================
My Hero:
(remove vroomfondle to email me)
================================
0
the_pfy (11)
7/6/2004 7:04:56 AM
Hi CJ
I still think the same on the WINS Server - does your 2003 server have
a WINS entry pointing to your WINS Server ?

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 05:37:19 GMT, "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>>
>> >"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

>upgrade.
>Exchange
>> >5.5

>> >That sounded about right to me.  To give you a little more information,
>if I
>> >try to log on locally it won't let me until I put the NT PDC back on
>line.
>>
>> Uh-oh. And how can you have a NT4 PDC when that's the first domain
>> controller that gets upgraded to become a AD Domain Controller? You
>> PDC should have been made into a Windows 2003 server.
>
>I did make a PDC into a win2003 DC, just not my production PDC.  I take it
>offline and use a BDC that I upgraded to a PDC...just in case I need to put
>the NT domain back until I figure out the problem.
>

>> >Its like there is no domain controller to authenticate me.
>>
>> With the NT4 domain controller off-line, who owns the PDC Emulator
>> FSMO role for the domain?
>
>Should be the test PDC that I upgraded to Win2003
>
>> >But I can log
>> >all other machines on to the new 2003 DC.  XP, 2000 and 98.
>> >Any ideas?
>> >
>> >If somehow the NT server is not a memeber of the new AD domain, what do I
>> >need to do to get it to be?  It is listed in Computers in the 2003
>server.
>>
>> Just because there's a computer account doesn't necessaily mean that
>> the server's a member of the domain. Check the server's properties and
>> verify it's a domain member of the correct domain . . . and please
>> explain how you have a NT4 PDC for the domain! I don;t think your
>> problem's got much to do with Exchange.
>
>Me neither, but like I said, I made a Win NT BDC from scratch and promoted
>it to a PDC after my production PDC was taken offline just for the sole
>purpose of using it to test the Windows 2003 upgrade.
>
>Does this clear it up?...Any ideas.
>Thanks for the replies.  Its greatly appreciated.
>

>> --
>> Rich Matheisen
>> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

================================
My Hero:
(remove vroomfondle to email me)
================================
0
the_pfy (11)
7/6/2004 7:06:34 AM
"Marlin Munrow" <the_pfy@hotvroomfondlemail.com> wrote in message
> Hi CJ
> I still think the same on the WINS Server - does your 2003 server have
> a WINS entry pointing to your WINS Server ?

Yes, it is the WINS server and it points to itself as well.

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 05:37:19 GMT, "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
> >"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

> >upgrade.
> >Exchange

Directory

> >if I
> >line.
> >>
> >> Uh-oh. And how can you have a NT4 PDC when that's the first domain
> >> controller that gets upgraded to become a AD Domain Controller? You
> >> PDC should have been made into a Windows 2003 server.
> >
> >I did make a PDC into a win2003 DC, just not my production PDC.  I take
it
> >offline and use a BDC that I upgraded to a PDC...just in case I need to
put
> >the NT domain back until I figure out the problem.

> >> With the NT4 domain controller off-line, who owns the PDC Emulator
> >> FSMO role for the domain?
> >
> >Should be the test PDC that I upgraded to Win2003

> >server.
> >>
> >> Just because there's a computer account doesn't necessaily mean that
> >> the server's a member of the domain. Check the server's properties and
> >> verify it's a domain member of the correct domain . . . and please
> >> explain how you have a NT4 PDC for the domain! I don;t think your
> >> problem's got much to do with Exchange.
> >
> >Me neither, but like I said, I made a Win NT BDC from scratch and
promoted
> >it to a PDC after my production PDC was taken offline just for the sole
> >purpose of using it to test the Windows 2003 upgrade.
> >
> >Does this clear it up?...Any ideas.
> >Thanks for the replies.  Its greatly appreciated.
> >

> >> --
> >> Rich Matheisen
> >> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> >> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> >

> ================================
> My Hero:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html
> (remove vroomfondle to email me)
> ================================

0
chrisj1 (34)
7/6/2004 7:52:47 PM
Okay

I suggest that you make sure that all servers (including the one
you're trying to log on locally to are within 5 mins of the PDC
Emulator's time

I saw something similar recently witha log on script that synched the
time to a server that was 20 mins adrift so no one could log on
locally (this was an NT4 member server).

I'd also be suspicious of your DNS too although this wont prevent you
logging on locally to an NT4 member server - did the installation /
dcpromo install a dns server on the new 2003 DC ?

Take a few mins to look over 2003 Interim Mode for your forest and see
if there are any benfits.

I believe that if your name resolution is okay then it has to be time
syncing. (the nt4 pdc will authenticate servers that have time slew a
2003 server simply will not.

Good luck

================================
My Hero:
(remove vroomfondle to email me)
================================
0
the_pfy (11)
7/6/2004 9:16:38 PM
> Okay
>
> I suggest that you make sure that all servers (including the one
> you're trying to log on locally to are within 5 mins of the PDC
> Emulator's time

Okay..I'll try that.  It will be another week before I try it again.

> I saw something similar recently witha log on script that synched the
> time to a server that was 20 mins adrift so no one could log on
> locally (this was an NT4 member server).
>
> I'd also be suspicious of your DNS too although this wont prevent you
> logging on locally to an NT4 member server - did the installation /
> dcpromo install a dns server on the new 2003 DC ?

Yes, DNS was automatically installed with the upgrade process.

> Take a few mins to look over 2003 Interim Mode for your forest and see
> if there are any benfits.
>
> I believe that if your name resolution is okay then it has to be time
> syncing. (the nt4 pdc will authenticate servers that have time slew a
> 2003 server simply will not.

Ok...I'll give it a shot...thanks for the help!!  This is a big learning
lesson for me!

> Good luck
>

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:52:47 GMT, "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
> >"Marlin Munrow" <the_pfy@hotvroomfondlemail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi CJ
> >> I still think the same on the WINS Server - does your 2003 server have
> >> a WINS entry pointing to your WINS Server ?
> >
> >Yes, it is the WINS server and it points to itself as well.

> >message

> >Directory

> >server

> >information,

> >it
> >put

> >do I

> >promoted

> >> ================================
> >> My Hero:
> >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html
> >> (remove vroomfondle to email me)
> >> ================================
> >

> ================================
> My Hero:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html
> (remove vroomfondle to email me)
> ================================

0
chrisj1 (34)
7/7/2004 3:00:05 AM
Hope my misery means that you get an extra evening with those you
love.

I lost 2 nights on a customer site to a similar issue and stumbled on
the Kerberos time slew - it may or may not be the answer but I'll be
surprised if it doesnt play a small part ;o)

Also
before you go ahead run netpwage,exe  (google for a link) and generate
a report of all your machine accounts that are over 30 days old since
last machine password change - this could also be the real culprit.
but you can run this test before the upgrade as well as checking
system times too...

Remember that if its time slew that your PDC emulator becomes the
domain ntp source

Good luck

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:00:05 GMT, "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:

>"Marlin Munrow" <the_pfy@hotvroomfondlemail.com> wrote in message
>> Okay
>>
>> I suggest that you make sure that all servers (including the one
>> you're trying to log on locally to are within 5 mins of the PDC
>> Emulator's time
>
>Okay..I'll try that.  It will be another week before I try it again.

================================
My Hero:
(remove vroomfondle to email me)
================================
0
the_pfy (11)
7/7/2004 6:40:42 PM
> Hope my misery means that you get an extra evening with those you
> love.
>
> I lost 2 nights on a customer site to a similar issue and stumbled on
> the Kerberos time slew - it may or may not be the answer but I'll be
> surprised if it doesnt play a small part ;o)
>
> Also
> before you go ahead run netpwage,exe  (google for a link) and generate
> a report of all your machine accounts that are over 30 days old since
> last machine password change - this could also be the real culprit.
> but you can run this test before the upgrade as well as checking
> system times too...
>
> Remember that if its time slew that your PDC emulator becomes the
> domain ntp source
>
> Good luck

Thanks.  One last question.  If I put the 2003 server DC online and take off
the NT PDC, then how do I get the lone NT machine on the system to time sync
if I can't log in to it?

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:00:05 GMT, "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
> >"Marlin Munrow" <the_pfy@hotvroomfondlemail.com> wrote in message
> >> Okay
> >>
> >> I suggest that you make sure that all servers (including the one
> >> you're trying to log on locally to are within 5 mins of the PDC
> >> Emulator's time
> >
> >Okay..I'll try that.  It will be another week before I try it again.
> >

> ================================
> My Hero:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html
> (remove vroomfondle to email me)
> ================================

0
chrisj1 (34)
7/7/2004 10:00:14 PM
The best way to make sure that time starts synced is to make sure that
you manually set the time or use the "net time" command and do that
just before any upgarde.

You could leave the old DC logged on as say the local administrator
and re-reun net time after the upgrade and try to log on afterwards.

================================
My Hero:
(remove vroomfondle to email me)
================================
0
the_pfy (11)

Exchange in SBS2003 R2

Window Redirection?

Delegates for SBS2003 Exchange

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Viewing Active Tasks in the Outlook Today View
I really like the Outlook Today view, as it lists upcoming appointments, emails, tasks, etc. However, I can not get it to show my active tasks that have started but are due at a later time (not today). Outlook today will show my active tasks that are due today, but it just won't show tasks that, for example, are due tomorrow. This is bothersome because I want it to show all active tasks, and not just ones that are due today. Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated! There are a couple of options associated with Task showing and sorting, have you checked via the customize...

Microsoft Exchange Server

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

Function to determine Directory Size
I'd like to be able to determine the size of a directory or group of files. Does anyone know of an add-in that has a function whereby I can specify a path and get the size of directory of groups of files as the return value? Ex: =dirsize("C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\School") =dirsize("C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\School\*.doc") It would also be helpful if there were an option to include subdirectories. -- Thanks, Bob Chmara Argh.... Make that "get the size of a directory or group of files" Bob "Bob Chmara" fatfing...

RPC Over HTTP on Single Server

Exchange database forensic
I would like to know if I can with vbscript, and WMI access an exchange database and search for a specific string in either the subject field or the body? I would also like to know if I use exmerge to extract to a PST then use a script or command line tool to find a string in the message of subject or in the body I would also be interested in third party software vendors that can offer this functionality Please include a link if one is available for reference Thank you, John You might want to see if exmerge alone will do what you want: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328202/en-u...

SOP Sales Transaction Entry Window
Dear Folks, I have noticed that i couldn't choose/select a salesman Id from Sales Transaction Entry Window (Transactions-> Sales -> Sales Transaction Entry). In my case for every Invoice i have to select a Diffierent Sales man ID. Could any one help me how can i enable this. BUT IT IS AVAILABLE IN Transaction Entry Window which we use without inventory module (Transactions-> Sales -> Transaction Entry Window) Awaiting for your favourable feedback. You can find that field by clicking on the customer number expansion button to the right of the customer number field. Thi...

Moving exchange 5.5 to a new server exchange 2003
Good day all... how do I move exchange 5.5 to a brand new exchange server 2003. The new server will be in a new organization. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ray http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/ondemand/2340.asp http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en- us;exch2003 Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server >-----Original Message----- >Good day all... how do I move exchange 5.5 to a brand new >exchange server 2003. The new server will be in a new >organization. Any info would be greatly appreciated. > >Thanks, >Ray > >. ...

Outlook will not run in Cached Exchange mode
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C68E30.831A2160 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Having a problem running outlook offline. I can't. I keep getting an = error that outlook was unable to open my .ost file when I try to run = outlook while not connected to my exchange server. So I set Outlook not = to run in cached mode, deleted my .ost file, reset outlook to work in = cached mode. Outlook creates the ost file, but still every time I try to = run outlook offline, I get the same erro...

Exchange 2007 CCR after reseeding storage group copies
We have an Exchange 2007 CCR cluster that sits on two Windows Server 2008 Enterprise nodes. Due to problems with one node, I evicted it from the cluster and rebuilt it, reinstalling Exchange using the custom / install passive node setup. I used 'Update Storage Group Copy' (with the option selected to 'Delete any existing log files in the target path') to reseed the active databses. It seemed to go OK, and the storage groups status in the Database Management window became 'healthy'. However, when I tried to move the clustered mailbox server on to the new node f...

Active Directory , Windows 2003 SBS to Windows 2008 SBS
Hello! I've got a little issue here. I work for a company and we are getting a new Intelserver. Now the problem is we've got an 32bit windows 2003 small business server with an Active Directory (and sql). And we are getting a Windows 2008 Small business server 64bit. Is there any possible way to ''Transfer'' ''Move'' or ''Copy'' the Active Directory to his new server without changing, removing or adding any data. I really need to be sure that nothing goes wrong cause 25 people are working on it everyday (Ofcourse i have a...