Exchange 5.5 moving into Active Directory

I need to know if I can move Exchange 5.5 into Active Directory 2003.  If so
is there anydocumentation somewhere for me to see.

Joel:
    The tool you are looking for (if you are looking for a Microsoft tool)
is the Active Directory Connector (the ADC).  It is found on the Exchange
2003 CD-ROM or the Exchange 2003 Service Pack 1 CD or download (in the ADC
directory).

    There are dozens of possible permutations for implementing the ADC.  It
will all depend on your environment.   Usually (but not always), the ADC
assumes that your user accounts are already created in the Active Directory,
and it just matches up 5.5 mailbox data with AD accounts, but it can also
create accounts for you.

    In a small-to-medium sized environment (less than 5,000 objects), I
usually install the ADC on one of the domain controllers.   Here is a good
starting point for you:

"Active Directory: What an Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator Needs To Know"
at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/activedirectoryadmin.mspx
or http://tinyurl.com/5dkxy

There are some other documents in the Exchange Server 2003 Technical
Documentation Library that you should read.  Visit it at :
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx
or http://tinyurl.com/2pua2

    One final word of advice, the ADC can be tricky the first time or two
you use it.  Try it in a test environment until you are comfortable with it.

HTH,

--
Jim McBee
Web: http://www.somorita.com

"Joel Kaminsky" <joel.kaminsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to know if I can move Exchange 5.5 into Active Directory 2003.  If
>so is there anydocumentation somewhere for me to see.

0
jmcbee9404 (625)
3/20/2005 9:14:28 AM
You need the Active Direcory Connector. This has been around for a few years
now.

"Joel Kaminsky" <joel.kaminsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to know if I can move Exchange 5.5 into Active Directory 2003.  If
>so is there anydocumentation somewhere for me to see.

0
exchange.mvp (559)
3/20/2005 11:23:50 AM
What your saying is you the ADC tool that is in 2003 Exchange for Exchange
5.5?

Remember my goal is to bring Exchange 5.5 into AD 2003.

Joel

"Jim McBee [MVP Exchange]" <jmcbee@cta.spambegone.net> wrote in message
> Joel:
>    The tool you are looking for (if you are looking for a Microsoft tool)
> is the Active Directory Connector (the ADC).  It is found on the Exchange
> 2003 CD-ROM or the Exchange 2003 Service Pack 1 CD or download (in the ADC
> directory).
>
>    There are dozens of possible permutations for implementing the ADC.  It
> will all depend on your environment.   Usually (but not always), the ADC
> assumes that your user accounts are already created in the Active
> Directory, and it just matches up 5.5 mailbox data with AD accounts, but
> it can also create accounts for you.
>
>    In a small-to-medium sized environment (less than 5,000 objects), I
> usually install the ADC on one of the domain controllers.   Here is a good
> starting point for you:
>
> "Active Directory: What an Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator Needs To
> Know" at
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/activedirectoryadmin.mspx
> or http://tinyurl.com/5dkxy
>
> There are some other documents in the Exchange Server 2003 Technical
> Documentation Library that you should read.  Visit it at :
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx
> or http://tinyurl.com/2pua2
>
>    One final word of advice, the ADC can be tricky the first time or two
> you use it.  Try it in a test environment until you are comfortable with
> it.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Jim McBee
> Web: http://www.somorita.com
> Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
>

> "Joel Kaminsky" <joel.kaminsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I need to know if I can move Exchange 5.5 into Active Directory 2003.  If
>>so is there anydocumentation somewhere for me to see.

What do you mean by "move" ?? Keep an Exchange 5.5 Org in AD?

--
Santhosh Sivarajan
MCSE(W2K3/W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+

"Andrew Sword [MVP]" <exchange.mvp@nos.optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> You need the Active Direcory Connector. This has been around for a few
> years now.
>

> "Joel Kaminsky" <joel.kaminsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I need to know if I can move Exchange 5.5 into Active Directory 2003.  If
>>so is there anydocumentation somewhere for me to see.

Moving Dynamics
Can someone direct me to updated infomation on How to move GP 10 to a new server box with SQL 2008 KB article 878449 still applies and has updated information for SQL Server 2008. -- Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com "tstrop" wrote: > Can someone direct me to updated infomation on How to move GP 10 to a new > server box with SQL 2008 ...

Front End Exchange 2003 OWA for a Back end 2000
Hey everybody, At the minute we're in the process of upgrading our 30 odd servers to Windows Server 2003. The Domain Controllers are still running Windows 2000. My question is : Can I install an Exchange 2003 OWA on a Windows Server 2003 to connect to an Exchange 2000 Server in a Windows 2000 Domain (Native Mode) Do I have to upgrade the whole domain first ? What about notions of Front End / Back End ? We would like to do this to benefit from the new OWA (As it's sooooo cool :)) Thanks for your replies, Mike You can use an E2K3 FE to connecto to an E2K BE, but you only get OW...

error sending from 5.5 to 2000
When a user sends from an exchange 5.5 mailbox to a user in exchange 2000, they receive the following error: The message was undeliverable because the recipient specified in the recipient postal address was not known at this address The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Express-Scripts;l=TEMMS014-041001192533Z-210060 <mail5.express-scripts.com #5.1.1> The same user on the 5.5 server can send to other users on the 2000 server. I looked the error up in technet and got 3 kb articles with only 1, kb295377 being anything close to my problem. I checked the entr...

Cannot move emails between folders

Installed Second Exchange 2007SP1
I have ABC domain with two Sites STL and GVL. I had my exchange server 2007SP1 installed in STL. Now GVL installed a Exchange 2007SP1 server. All looks good but I get the following error message from time to time in the EMC on my Server in STL. There is a Firewall between us should there be some ports open for them to communicate. Thanks for your help! -------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Exchange Error -------------------------------------------------------- The following error(s) were reported while loading topology information: Get-ActiveSync...

Exchange 2003 on a Domain Controller.
Hi All, I have a WinNT/Ex5.5 to AD 2000/03 and Ex2k3 migration to do. The client is a small company with only about 15 users. The are a network solutions company that needs flexibility so SBS is out of the question. My initial thought was to have 2 Win2k domain controllers/file servers and one Win2k3 member server running Ex2k3. They only have 2 Win2k server licenses and 1 Win2k3 server license. The problem is that they want to be able to use RPC over HTTPs. I understand that requires a 2003 Global Catalogue server. So, my plan of the 2000 DCs doesn't work. My question is:...

Default Exchange Receive Connector
Hi all, I just installed Exchange 2007. There were two receive connectors already setup during install, I have a question on the "Default Exchange Receive Connector." If I want public mail servers to be able to send mail to my exchange server, do I need to enable "Anonymous Users" on the "Permissions Group Tab" of that connector? Robert Exchange Server 2007: internet email without Edge servers http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/07/exchange-server-2007-internet-email.html -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia....

Changing Interface OWA (exchange 2003)

08 Mac Office activation problems
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Just found an article posted by michellec and I am faced with exactly the same problem - on 'activation' of the product, none of the 3 product keys seem to be correct, hence activation is unsuccessful!! Have received some help emails (and thanks Diana yours had the microsoft help number that has been good, despite the fact they can't help me and tell me I must get in touch with Digital River) but seems that what I need is another product key, and now that I'm asking for that since about 10 days, I don't get any reply ...

Ex5.5 to Ex2003 intra org migration
Hi I have migrated from E5.5 to E2003 intra-Org migration and chose the option SID migration via ADMT during migration . I 've notice that both source domain and target domain accounts have been added to mailbox and public folder resources which doesn't appear to be a problem at the moment. However in the near future when I do decide to remove the source domain would I be left with "zombie" source domain accounts??? In addition, granted that I chose to migrate SID history what will be the result when the source Doman is remove. Will there be any performance impact ??...

Replication partner exch 5.5 crashed
Hello Everyone. We recently installed exchange server 2003, had it coexisting with exchange 5.5 . We used the pfmigrate tool to create replication of public folders,I had also moved around 75% of the users mail boxes to the 2003 server.Unfortunately Ifound out that the exchange 5.5 server has crashed and now we cannot send or receive emails because earlier the mail flow was from 2003 to 5.5 and internet and vice versa. How can I remove the 5.5 server and set the 2003 server to receive emails completely. Also I do have a backup of the 5.5 server , can I restore the 5.5 mail box to t...

SP2 Exchange default disclaimer
Hello: I am currently using free GFI tool to provide a default disclaimer on outgoing SMTP email. I was wondering if SP2 will provide this feature on Standard Exchange 2003 server. Thanks, Cindy I'm running the CTP of Exchange 2003 SP2 and haven't seen that as a feature. "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2D2E367-BEB9-49BF-98D3-5C1AE2D08B03@microsoft.com... > Hello: > I am currently using free GFI tool to provide a default disclaimer on > outgoing SMTP email. I was wondering if SP2 will provide this feature on > Standar...

Move pages from document to document?

Store limit in Exchange
I'm currently researching the migration of my organization's mail system to Exchange and see that the standard edition of Exchange has a data store limit of 16GB. If we were to do a front end, back end setup with two server and the back end server that has the data store were to reach the 16GB limit would adding another back end server resolve this? I read in another post that this would double the space. But doing this the users that are currently create would have to be split up and some moved to the new data store server correct? Also since the Enterprise edition allows m...

Exchange 2003 environment
Hello, I have one Windows 2000 server as a domain controller running Exchange 2000. Is it possible to do an upgrade of exchange only to Exchange 2003 but leave Windows on 2000? or will I need to upgrade windows to 2003 as well? From what I have read it looks as if Exchange 2003 will run in a Windows 2000 domain but I just want word from someone who has some experience. Thanks, Chris DeFreitas Yes you can upgrade to Exchange 2003 without upgrading to Windows 2003 -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Chris DeFreitas" <chris@N...

Outlook xp Offline folders vs O2k3 Cached Exchange mode
I recently upgraded a group of executives from Outlook XP to Outlook 2003. I used the "upgrade" option. I also installed O2K3 SP1. They all have laptops and use offline folders. Several have had various offline folder issues since the upgrade. Is there something I need to configure in order for them to continue to use their offline folders? or Does Cached Exchange mode replace Offline folders? Are there known issues with the upgrade and offline folders? I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks in advance for your time! techguyasap <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Migrating E5.5/NT4 to E2003/W2K
I am going to be migrating E5.5 to E2003 very soon Can anyone please give me tips as I would like to avoid as many probs a possible. I can use the same IP, Domain name etc Thanks in Advance Hi, Done a few of those You could do an in-place upgrade but you must be absolutely sure about your backups. For me, the easiest (and probably safest) way is to do a new installation of 2003 and run the two systems in parralel until all users have been migrated to the new system before shutting down the old system. I short: Suppose you have alias@demo.com as your current e-mail domain: 1. Create a...

Active X error
I have tried removing the signature, unchecking the Smart Tags, changing the editor to Plain Text as well as to Rich text all to no avail....here is the error one of my users gets when she tries to send and email from Outlook - she can receive just fine: "One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either: "1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or "2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls. As a result, the page may not display correctly." ...

Chart Wizard #5
Does excel 2007 have a chart wizard? If so, how do I access it? The chart wizard no longer exists in Excel 2007, RIP. You create a chart using the various chart buttons on the Insert tab, then struggle through the three Chart Tools contextual tabs looking for the controls to set up the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Liberty" <Liberty @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C1186EF-4C15-4E3D-A642-D0EA334C1192@microsoft.com... > Does excel...

Exchange 2003: Missing emails
Hello, Strange problem, not sure if anyone else experiencing: We are running Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2000 SP4. A manager came to me and asked where some files had gone in their folders. I checked through their mailbox, and sure enough the emails that had been filed away were missing. Checking through the backups, the email was last in the folder about 2 weeks ago. Does anyone know how i would audit what has happened here? i am not asking what has happened to these emails, but moreso who has accessed this mailbox, and when, in the last 2 weeks, thanks in advance John- Did your...

removing first exchange server in org
I am ready to move the first exchange 2k3 server from my organization. I have followed the steps in article 822931 and finished them. I am just noticing that one of the public folders - entitled system configuration - is not covered in the instructions in 822931 and is set for replication between the source(server being taken out)and destination server. Should i remove the source server or does it matter. Thanks ...