Exchange 5.5 email problem

I have an Active Directory network with an Exchange 5.5 server running on a
Windows NT box.

I am hosting 3 email domains on that box. For example lets call them
mydomain1.com, mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com.

All external emails come in and work just fine except for the mydomain3.com
emails.  My internal Active Dirctory domain is mydomain3.com.

Currently my Exchange server on the NT box is pointing at the internal DNS
server that forwards requests to the outside.  I was thinking my problem is
that and that I might need to have the NT box with Exchange on it use our
ISP DNS servers instead.

Any ideas?  I read something about Active Directory Connector, but didn't
know if I need to look at that or how the DNS settings are set up on the
Exchange server.

Thanks....if anyone wants to email me directly...feel free!!

0
chrisj1 (34)

"CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:

>I have an Active Directory network with an Exchange 5.5 server running on a
>Windows NT box.
>
>I am hosting 3 email domains on that box. For example lets call them
>mydomain1.com, mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com.
>
>All external emails come in and work just fine except for the mydomain3.com
>emails.  My internal Active Dirctory domain is mydomain3.com.
>
>Currently my Exchange server on the NT box is pointing at the internal DNS
>server that forwards requests to the outside.  I was thinking my problem is
>that and that I might need to have the NT box with Exchange on it use our
>ISP DNS servers instead.
>
>Any ideas?  I read something about Active Directory Connector, but didn't
>know if I need to look at that or how the DNS settings are set up on the
>Exchange server.
>
>Thanks....if anyone wants to email me directly...feel free!!

If your Exchange server is running without ADC then it's not AD aware
(but you'd worked that out)
The Internet Mail Service should receive mail for all three domains
and route them to wherever you need.
Can you confirm that all three domains are set to "Route Inbound"? Or
alternatively two of the domains are routed to a third domain (be it
1, 2 or 3)
Then you need to make sure that you are receiving the mails for
domain3.com in the first place. Is it a registered domain? Does it
have MX records that point to a valid A record in the ISP DNS?
If domain3 isn't valid then you're not going to get mail into it.
Check by doing an nslookup against all three domains and make sure
that they point to the same A record and that the A record matches the
IP address you want the mail delivered to.#

Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP,
FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
Blog: http://www.msexchange.me.uk
0
mark7219 (5666)
> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
> >I have an Active Directory network with an Exchange 5.5 server running on
> >Windows NT box.
> >
> >I am hosting 3 email domains on that box. For example lets call them
> >mydomain1.com, mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com.
> >
> >All external emails come in and work just fine except for the
mydomain3.com
> >emails.  My internal Active Dirctory domain is mydomain3.com.
> >
> >Currently my Exchange server on the NT box is pointing at the internal
DNS
> >server that forwards requests to the outside.  I was thinking my problem
is
> >that and that I might need to have the NT box with Exchange on it use our
> >ISP DNS servers instead.
> >
> >Any ideas?  I read something about Active Directory Connector, but didn't
> >know if I need to look at that or how the DNS settings are set up on the
> >Exchange server.
> >
> >Thanks....if anyone wants to email me directly...feel free!!
> >
> If your Exchange server is running without ADC then it's not AD aware
> (but you'd worked that out)
> The Internet Mail Service should receive mail for all three domains
> and route them to wherever you need.
> Can you confirm that all three domains are set to "Route Inbound"? Or
> alternatively two of the domains are routed to a third domain (be it
> 1, 2 or 3)
> Then you need to make sure that you are receiving the mails for
> domain3.com in the first place.

Yes, this was under a WinNT domain and and I am testing AD
The Exchange server on the WinNT box has worked with the 3 domains for 4
years just fine.
Now in the AD environment, the 2 other domains work fine, but the one with
the same domain as the internal AD domain does not.

> Is it a registered domain?

Yes and has been working until the test.

 Does it
> have MX records that point to a valid A record in the ISP DNS?

That I don't know.  I am not up to speed on MX records.  Can you point me in
the right direction.

> If domain3 isn't valid then you're not going to get mail into it.
> Check by doing an nslookup against all three domains and make sure
> that they point to the same A record and that the A record matches the
> IP address you want the mail delivered to.#
>

> Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP,
> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
> Blog: http://www.msexchange.me.uk

0
chrisj1 (34)
7/17/2004 2:11:42 PM
Figured it out.. the problem ended up being i simply needed my Exchange
server to have the DNS settings for my ISP, not my internal DNS servers